Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Tourist Traps

Started by Magyar, December 30, 2016, 09:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magyar

Hvit frowned, uncertainty and the smallest amount of fear stabbing into his resolve. That was the answer he had feared. The one he had simultaneously hoped for and prayed against. It signified something that he couldn't just fly away from when he was done with it. Something that could be far deeper than a surface attachment. And the nature of the person answering meant that it could very well follow him for the rest of his waking life.

Eventually, after a time of silence, he asked her another apprehensive question, "Close... how? What kind of close?"

DragonSong

She groaned and dropped her head forward, her forehead coming to rest against his clavicle. "I- I don't know!" she exclaimed, wings fluttering nervously. "I mean- okay, I do know, but..."

She bit her lip and wrapped her arms around his middle, loose enough that he could pull away easily but still an obvious gesture of seeking comfort. "I've never met anyone like me," she murmured. "I never thought...I didn't think this was even a possibility for me."

She shifted slightly, half-intentionally pressing her body closer to his with a soft, sighing hum. "I know I'm...young, and I-I talk too much, and I ask too many questions, but I-"

Gods, she was just so lonely. She just didn't want to feel like that anymore.

"I just don't want to be alone anymore," she whispered. "I just want to feel...connected." She turned her face into the curve of his neck and nuzzled against him almost unconsciously, tiny shivers wracking her frame.

Magyar

Hvit found himself stretching his neck up, giving Melly more space as she sent a shiver down his spine and a shudder rippling through the rest of him. He pulled her tightly to him, now startlingly aware of the softer parts of her anatomy.

"Are you sure?" He asked between shudders, "About... this?"

He could feel the heat of her now, more intense than usual. And with hers, his temperature too began to rise. He spread his wings on the fabric of their bed, the lightweight bones and muscles straining against the cloth.

DragonSong

Melly's breath hitched with a soft almost mewing sound in the back of her throat. The strength with which he pulled her against him made her shiver a bit and she gave a shuddering sigh.

"...Yes."

She lifted her head to meet his eyes, and suddenly found herself captured by the way the early morning light glinted off them. "Yes, I'm sure."

Magyar

Hvit rumbled low in his chest, and a deeply unsettling series of thoughts sprung to life in his mind. His gaze drifted away, studying the the room, and what he could see of the ones beyond it. Then they came full circle back to it's inhabitant. It may have been Hvit's troubled expression that gave it away early, but even if it did not, his next actions would.

"I am not."

As he spoke he gently lifted her from him, and the heat with in took a different form. It was now the heat of anger, slow and simmering, at how he could let himself be led this way. He was solitary for a reason. This entire journey had been rash and unfounded, and the consequences now were emotional casualties, probably on both sides, and a guilt that he could already feel sinking its hooks in his hide.

He pushed himself from the blankets and began stalking away when his shape changed. It wasn't a dragon whose form he took, but neither was it his humanoid shape. It was an amalgamation of them both, somewhere in between. Still on the smaller side, thank the gods for that, but he was tall. He had grown perhaps three or four more feet, now a towering behemoth, and his wings had grown larger. The skin that had been dusted with near invisible scales became harder and milky white where the scales had been predominant, his ribs, back, throat, forearms and shins. The pricked fingertips became true claws, and he grew small horns from the stubs on his scalp, horns that twisted and stabbed into the air, giving his height an extra foot-long boost. The skirt was now more a loincloth, and the cape no longer went to the floor. Strangest of all, a tail has sprouted, thin but long, and now snaked anxiously around his heels.

"I am not."

Again he said it, but this time he punctuated it by leaving, going down the path back through the treasure hoards.

DragonSong

The dragoness stared, her breath stopped in her chest. The sudden chill, the absence of another's warmth, seemed to sink into her very bones as she found herself sitting alone on the makeshift bed.

"Oh..."

Her heart ached. That was a new sensation too- she'd experienced grief, but this was...different. A little sharper than the grief she was used to, and it seemed to reside in her chest rather than her belly.

Melisma sniffed and curled in on herself, watching him go. Half of her wanted to follow him, but the other half- well, he'd made it very clear that he didn't desire her company just now, hadn't he?

Something Melly hadn't felt in a long time burned behind her eyes and she dropped her head, burying her face in her hands as she tried to breath around the sob caught in her throat. No. No, she wouldn't do this. She wouldn't cry for this.

She wasn't really sure how long she sat there, breathing shallowly and just trying to work through the dozens of thoughts that spiraled through her head without bursting into tears. Finally, she seemed to have a hold of herself and stood, a little shakily, and made her way back into the temple.

She made her way back to the chamber that housed her hoard, approaching her guest cautiously.

"I'm sorry," she murmured, eyes on her bare feet. Her voice was softer than normal, less chiming. "I shouldn't have- that was...very forward of me. I'm sorry if I offended you." She was rather proud of herself; her voice only shook once, and she managed to get through that without stammering or bursting into tears.

Magyar

Hvit was sitting among the broken glass, wings wrapped around him like a shell, leaving only the pale white hair and spiral horned head poking up. The bone white of his skin stood out against the colourful shards and dull glint of metal.

His spine, facing her, had also grown small spines under the skin stretching the ridges high, looking almost contorted. He had been wearing a scowl, one she couldn't see, and at the sound of her it deepened. Not because she was here, apologizing, but because of why. He had been just a present in that situation, just as forward. The only difference was his final choice.

"I share just as much responsibility as you do," he said, but his tone was biting, "And for that I am sorry. I have tempted you with something I will not give."

DragonSong

Melly felt her heart lurch again. She swallowed, cleared her throat, and murmured, "I...understand."

She didn't, really. She didn't know what had happened, why he'd suddenly pushed her away, what she'd done wrong. She didn't understand any of it.

But she forced a smile, small and wan though it was, and stepped a little closer. "We, um- we don't have to talk about it anymore. I promise I won't...overstep my bounds again."

She cleared her throat again and offered quietly into the silence, "Would you like to hunt? We took a long flight yesterday, you might be hungry..."

She didn't know what else to do. All her enthusiasm had been replaced with awkward fumbling and furtive little glances.

Magyar

"Do you really?" He asked, "Understand? Because I don't really understand myself at this point, and if that's how I'm feeling, I can't even imagine how confusing this must be to you."

He became silent again, but rose from his seat. He stretched his wings, flaring them wide, and extended his arms out to match. His fists were balled the entire time, though.

"If you want to hunt, hunt. I will refrain. Currently I feel as though if I go hunting, I will raze this place to the ground," he shot her a look, "But you like this island, and so I will not."

He turned to look at her fully, "You have only the bounds you set for yourself, but remember where you should put those. And get some clothes, they'll do you good."

He began walking through the rest of the hoard, fully intent on losing himself inside it. Perhaps he would visit the caverns of this temple while she was hunting.

DragonSong

"I-"

Melisma blinked, eyes wide. "I don't understand," she whispered as he began to walk away. "But I wish I did."

She sighed and turned to move back down the hall that led to her entrance chamber. "I'll...find something while I'm out, maybe," she murmured.

The hall was wide enough that she could take her natural form- she did so, wings kept tight to her side as she padded back through the twisting halls of the temple to launch herself into the sky, banking away over the jungle canopy.

Magyar

Hvit had found an empty room, large enough to accommodate his draconic form, and had transformed into his more familiar reptilian skin. The cave was dank, but his internal heat, now magnified by his great size was more than efficient to lightly dry the place.

There he lay, curled in on himself like a giant cat lounging in a box, and fell into a dreamless sleep, the only indicator that he was alive being the everpresent tendrils of smoke lazily drifting through the air.

DragonSong

Melly was gone some hours, not hunting so much as foraging. Seeing as her guest hadn't wanted food, she stuck to her preferred diet of fruits and flowers gathered from the jungle. It was certainly longer than hunting an animal or two, but she honestly preferred the sweetness of plants to meat.

Not to mention it kept her out of the temple for a while longer. She wasn't sure she was ready to go back and face Hvitt quite yet.

Eventually though, she knew she had to return. With a heavy sigh, she spread her wings and once again took to the air. Her flight was languid, almost lazy- she was in no rush. When she did finally reach her ruin home, she simply had to follow the smoke to find Hvitt's chosen resting place.

It was quite cramped with two dragons in the space. Another sighed breath and Melly took her human shape to give him more space.

She had followed his advice- her transformation revealed a loose sarong skirt and breastband, common fashion among Yoreiqi women. She'd managed to dig the fabric out of her hoard and fashion the clothes before coming to find him.

"Hvitt?"

Magyar

Hvit's eyes lazily slid open, in that same squinting style he so favoured. He searched for the origin of the noise, and finally came to rest on the tiny woman before him.

"Yes?" He asked, swinging his giant head slowly over to her, so that he had one giant glassy orb on her. His eye was almost as large as she was. His milky white pupil focused on her, and he blinked once.

DragonSong

The younger dragon swallowed and had to resist the urge to take a step back. "I, um..."

She cleared her throat and tried again. "I just...thought I'd let you know I'm back. Did you...sleep well?" Damnit, when had conversation become so awkward?!

Magyar

"I napped." He answered bluntly, "I see you took my advice on clothing."

Her choice of wardrobe wasn't too concealing, but it was skimpy either. He'd have chosen something for the cold rather than anything else, but her choices were her own.

"What did you gather?" He asked lazily, if just to keep the conversation from falling into an awkward lilt.

DragonSong

Melly tried for a smile. "Oranges, mostly. There's a grove not too far from here. Oh, and there's this kind of tree scattered through it that grows the sweetest nuts, but they're covered in a spiky sort of skin that kind of scratches at your throat if you don't shell them-"

She realized she was babbling and clamped her mouth shut. She coughed a little awkwardly. "Um...would you like to...go out? There's still some daylight, and the beach isn't far..."

Magyar

He turned so the he could see her with both eyes, and said, "Tell me more of these scratchy tree nuts. And of your travel on the island. Detail the day. I am curious."

In all honesty, he didn't particularly care, but if she felt comfortable talking about it and it returned her somewhat to the bubbly little bird that he enjoy the company of so much, he would listen.

DragonSong

"Oh. Well..."

Head tilted thoughtfully, she sat on the stone floor, crossing her legs. "The nuts are actually quite worth the effort it takes to get at them- my claws are a little big for it, but it's nearly impossible as a human, so-" She shrugged, smiling a bit.

"The grove is beautiful. All sorts of animals flock there, and one of the meltwater streams coming down from the mountain flows right through it. It smells like citrus and hibiscus- oh, that's a kind of flower. They're quite lovely."

Her cheeks suddenly colored and she smiled a little sheepishly. "You're...not really interested in this, are you? Me prattling on about flowers. I'm afraid my life here isn't quite as fascinating as yours is, back in your home."

Magyar

No. No, he really wasn't. But he would be damned if he told her that.

"Melisma, my life largely consists of snow, ash, and an old mine. This, however, is new, and therefore a welcome change," he said softly, "Continue."

DragonSong

Her smile softened a bit at the edges. "Alright then."

Slowly, the little dragoness started to talk about her island. The trees she loved, the little places tucked away in the jungle that could only be reached through careful steps, the hundreds of types of birds and animals that were nearly as colorful as she was herself, the way the sun glinting off the sand made the beach look like it consisted of diamonds, all of it, anything that popped into her head.

Gradually, she started to relax, becoming a bit more like the chattering youngling he'd first met when he rescued her from that storm.

"The mountain can actually get pretty cold," she was chirping, leaning back on her hands and head tilted back just slightly. "Nothing like your home, but we get snow sometimes. Then when it melts it creates these clusters of waterfalls- oh!"

She blinked, then suddenly smiled wide and sat up straight. "Could I...take you somewhere. There's something you might like, a little further into the jungle."