Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chosen and Bound

Started by DragonSong, January 28, 2017, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Amaya started just slightly, then clutched his hand tight in hers for a moment. "Thank you," she whispered as he pulled away.

She watched him go for just a moment, then took a breath and forced a small, beatific smile for the crowd.

Marakai Trin

When emerged from the back of the crowd, he began catching the stragglers, stopping one or more at a time to question them on Akira's whereabouts, or if they'd even seen them. Some of them looked at him with a measure of fear - he typically wasn't known for his friendliness, and most pulled their opinions of him from his appearance - but all relented and answered his questions.

The chief of the village hadn't been seen in the village for quite some time. Nobody knew where he was. When asked why, Mizaak refused to answer, not wanting too many questions asked.

Eventually he resigned himself to search outside the village, and when he was out of earshot from the buidlings, he began to call for him.

"My Lord Akira!" he shouted, his thunderous voice echoing amongst the trees.

DragonSong

Amaya and Emiko began the ceremony, and though both women were worried, neither showed it. They were too well practiced in this.

Just outside the village, the jungle was quiet. Maybe just a little too quiet.

If Mizaak could pick up a pinprick of Amaya's blood, chances were good that he'd be able to smell the dotted trail that started several yards away from the more well-worn paths through the vegetation, red stains splattered over glossy leaves.

Marakai Trin

If was only after he forced himself to slow down and focus on his surroundings that he caught the scent of blood. Mizaak turned every which way to determine where the scent of it came from, and eventually he settled on a direction.

He nearly passed the blood-spotted leaves, actually stepping on a few of them. He realized that the scent was following him, and looked to see blood on his feet. He grimaced and turned around to see it.

A trail, headed deeper into the jungle. He didn't have to look to know that it came from the direction of the village. His golden eyes became narrow and hard, the grip on his trident one of iron. He broke into a jog, and began to follow the trail.

He only hoped Akira still lived. There was alot of blood, but so long as he remained on this side of death, Mizaak could bring him back.

DragonSong

The longer it took Mizaak to return, the more on edge Amaya felt herself becoming. The ceremony was a lengthy and elegant procedure, but she's been through it annually since she was ten years old, and was able to go through the motions almost automatically.

She could tell her mother was worried too, but neither woman spoke as they moved through the ritual; they hardly even acknowledged each other, aside from the occasional glance and meeting of eyes.

The trail led deeper into the jungle, down the side of the small mountain that village had climbed over the years. Eventually, it came to a stop with a man sagged against a wide trunk, eyes half closed and hand pressed to his ribs, panting.

Marakai Trin

Despite the distance he'd run and the massive frame his heart and lungs had to power, Mizaak wasn't even winded when he'd finally come to the end of the trail of blood.

He'd found himself following the coppery scent more than the trail itself, and he noticed that it was finally getting stronger. The end of the trail was near.

But the sight before him gave him pause, as he found Akira slumped against a tree. It took a moment for him to realize he still lived, and he breathed a sigh of relief.

"My Lord!" he said, and jogged the last bit of distance to kneel in front of him. Without care for any kind of protocol, he lifted the older mans hand away from his ribs, dropping his trident and once again cutting open his palm to spill the life-giving water that served as his blood.

He held the trickle of fluid over Akira's wounds. "My Lord...who - or what - did this to you?"

DragonSong

"Mizaak-" Akira's hand moved to the younger man's wrist, attempting to push his hand away weakly. "You know you can't do that," he murmured, voice low and hoarse. "Even this far from the village, you shouldn't be using those powers."

Mizaak had only been seven when Amaya brought him home. It hadn't taken her parents long to realize their daughter's new shadow had the same elemental affinity that she did, and while they were grateful for the healing he could afford her, both had always been nervous about how the rest of the village might react to his strange magic.

Even barely conscious, Akira was trying to protect him. He coughed, the sound wet and rattling, and attempted to use Mizaak's shoulder to pull himself to his feet.

"They're gone. I was on patrol, and I came across-" He groaned and clenched his eyes shut. "Get me home, lad. I need to talk to my wife..."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak frowned as Akira made to push him away, and remained resolute until at least some of what he tried to give took effect.

"Maybe so, but I can't take the chance of you dying on me. Besides, no one knew you were missing other than your wife, daughter, and myself. No one has to know how seriously you were wounded."

He pulled his hand away, and slid his arm under the elder mans, and then pulled Akira up with him.

"I'll get you home, but the Harvest ceremonies will have commenced by now. Should I bring your wife to you, or take you straight to the temple?" Once he had him standing, he pulled one of Akira's arms over his shoulders, and put his own arm behind the elder mans back to support him, using the shaft of his trident to support them both.

DragonSong

"The temple," Akira gasped, pain adding new lines and ten years to his face. "Call a healer quietly- and if the ceremony hasn't yet finished, inform the guards to return to their posts, as subtly as you can."

He wasn't exactly dead weight, but he wasn't moving very quickly, either, staggering and swaying from blood loss.

Marakai Trin

Even if Akira had been dead weight, Mizaak was known for his strength. His body had grown and adapted to what his destiny had called for.

And so, he half supported, half carried him back up the incline of the mountain.

"It will be done. But I must know....if there is danger to Amaya, I must know what the danger is."

DragonSong

The older man shook his head. "I don't know, boy, I'm sorry," he murmured. "They were human, or- or looked it." He was panting lightly. "That's all I could tell."

Amaya felt a shiver run up her spine and almost convulsively looked toward the temple gate. Luckily, no one seemed to notice, and she quickly returned her attention to the ceremony happening around her. She was seated in the middle of the outer courtyard, a length of cloth that she was busy tying knots into clutched between her hands.

Emiko was chanting quietly beside her, but she could practically feel her mother's tension radiating off her in waves.

Marakai Trin

Mizaak sighed. "Well, I suppose that's more knowledge than we had before. But if they are human, that's a relief. Divines know there are far more fearsome beasts in this world."

They were nearing the village now, and he did as he was bidden, taking Akira straight to the temple. He passed the gate with the older man in tow, and cursed when he saw the crowd still present.

He looked towards a guard stationed at the gate as they passed. "Summon a healer, as quickly as you can manage, and give the order for all the others to return to their regular posts. Keep a sharp lookout for anyone."

The guard, thankfully, nodded and left straight away. Mizaak sighed, and helped Akira around the crowd.

"Madam Emiko, Amaya..." he started, once within sight of the two.

DragonSong

Emiko spotted him first, and her eyes widened. She leaned in to Amaya. "Stay here, finish the ceremony."

Before anyone could react, she'd left the circle of villagers, blocking most of her husband and Mizaak's position from view as she ushered them toward a side door of the temple. "Spirits, what happened?! Akira, what-"

She saw the blood staining his side and paled. "Oh heavens..."

Amaya couldn't move. She knew something was wrong, but she also knew her parents didn't want her to cause any sort of stir.

Marakai Trin

"Something attacked him. I found him this way, in the jungle." He shook his head. "The guards are already on alert, and I had one send for a healer. They should be here momentarily."

Mizaak sighed, and hobbled with Akira toward the side door. When he was sure they were far enough away from the villagers, he looked over his shoulder at Emiko. "I did give him a few drops of my blood, so it should look worse than it is. He wanted to talk to you, too."

DragonSong

The woman paused, then nodded and ushered them to the closest room with a sleeping mat. "Set him down here, I'll look for the healer."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak gave a slight nod and carried him into the open room. As gently as he could manage, he laid Akira down on the mat.

He knelt next to him. "How do you feel, my lord?"

DragonSong

Akira coughed and blood stained his lips. "Fantastic," he muttered. "Ready to take on an army..."

His eyes started to flutter closed just as Emiko hurried back into the room, one of the temple's more accomplished healers on her tail.

"Akira!" She knelt beside her husband, taking his hand in hers. "Look at me, love. What happened?"

Outside, Amaya was finally, finally wrapping up the ceremony. She was forced to mingle, to accept blessings and prayers from the villagers as they lined up to speak to her, but her eyes were constantly drawn to the guards at the gate, and the few she saw beyond.

They'd been alerted to patrol the village. What the hell was going on?

Marakai Trin

Mizaak couldn't help but grin at Akira's reply. "Yeah, you look it. Please, try and get rest. I think I hear your wife with the healer."

He moved away, knowing Emiko would inevitably want to be at his side. When she and the healer entered, he excused himself.

"I'm going to see to Amaya. My lord, Madam." He offered a  steep bow, and quietly exited the room.

As he walked down the corridor, he raised a hand to his head, pushing back on his frill as if it were hair, and let out a deep sigh. This was not the excitement he had wanted.

In time, he exited the main entryway of the temple, and glanced about for Amaya. The crowd looked passive - good, that meant that, hopefully, no one was aware of the goings on in the temple.

Finding her, Mizaak strode to Amaya's side, and announced his presence as he tapped the butt of his trident upon the ground, standing at attention once again, patiently  waiting for her to get a free moment. 5

DragonSong

She felt more than heard his approach, and offered a polite smile to the last few people gathered around her.

"Excuse me, I believe my presence is need in the temple." She smiled, waved slightly, and took a few steps back toward Mizaak before turning and almost sticking herself to his side.

"What's going on? Is Father alright?"

Marakai Trin

He turned to lead her into the temple, speaking as quietly as he could manage.

"Yes, he is fine. Or, rather, he will be. The healer is with him now. Something, or someone attacked him in the jungle. He's unsure of what exactly attacked him, other than...humanoid, I suppose."

When they were inside the temple, and out of public view, he stopped her with a hand on her shoulder. "Amaya....I'm sorry to have to ask you this, but... Until this is dealt with, could you please remain near, or even better, in the temple?"

He searched her eyes for a moment before he spoke again.

"I need to be absolutely sure you're safe. Please. At the very least, don't go anywhere without me unless it's in your chambers."

Tags: