Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Samsara (Closed) (M)

Started by Valtxr, April 02, 2017, 03:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtxr

A sunny morning. A far cry from the gloom and rain of the previous night.
  Charles and his son Niko were in the grass-covered commons behind his house. Some of his neighbors were outside as well, enjoying the beautiful morning with their own children. Some of the younger children laughed as they played, the sound of their joy carrying across the whole of the commons.
  In this small pocket of time, there was no job to go to soon. No talk of a civil war throughout Connlaoth. No ugliness in the world. No suffering.
  But that ugliness lurked in the back of Charles' mind. He knew what was going to happen today.
  He lightly tossed the leather ball to his son, who caught it and threw it back.
  "Niko."
  "Yes, father?"
  He threw the ball. "How do you judge the worth of a man?"
  Niko hesitated. Thought about the question. "Well...through his actions. Right, father?" He threw the ball.
  Charles caught it. "Yes. Through his actions. That's correct, but not quite the whole truth. What else is necessary?"
  "Um...I'm not sure."
  Charles threw the ball. "Think motivation."
  Niko caught it. Took another moment to think. "Whether or not he's doing a good thing? For his family and for his duty?" He threw the ball.
  And Charles caught it. "No. Not whether or not he's doing a good thing. Whether or not he's doing the right thing."
  Niko looked confused. "Aren't those the same, father?"
  Charles shook his head. "No. Not always." He glanced around the commons. At the blue sky. At the green grass. At his neighbors and their children. "You see all this, son? This...isn't the world. It's a part of it, a small...precious part. But it's not nearly the whole thing. You understand?"
  "I...yes, father."
  Charles sighed. Looked back to his son. "Most of the world...good and bad doesn't exist out there. When nothing is wholly good or wholly bad, there's only the right thing to do, and the wrong thing to do. For your family and your duty."
  He threw the ball. And Niko caught it. Asked, "How will I know which is the right thing to do?"
  "When the time comes to make that choice, you'll know. You'll always know. You just need to listen."
  Merissa, Charles' wife, poked her head out the back door of his house. "Charles, Sharon and Siro are here."
  Right on cue, Siro appeared through the back door. She dropped her bag of books to the ground. Waved at both him and Niko. "Hi, Mr. Charles. Nana said I could play ball with Niko. May I?"
  "Yes, you may." He said as he started toward his house.
  Last he heard, his son called out excitedly, "Hey! Siro! Go long!"
  Charles kissed Merissa on his way into the house. Crossed through the living room. Met Sharon at the open front door.
  She had a hard time meeting his eyes. Still felt bad about yesterday.
  He laid a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry about it. Just learn from your mistakes, and improve. That's all I ask."
  She nodded. "I know."
  He motioned his head down the street. "Let's go."

The street had a nickname. Quite fittingly, "The Golden Path."
  Sharon had a hard time believing that Charles' house, his standard of living, was possible. This level of fortune, this wealth, the sheer decadence of the mansions, manors, and estates of nobility living along The Golden Path were beyond comprehension for her. They were something out of a fairy tale, the idyllic playgrounds of princes and princesses.
  She and Charles stopped in front of one of the estates. Or, to be precise, in front of the iron gate of the estate's walled perimeter. Through the bars of the gate the estate itself was visible, as were the servants carefully and painstakingly trimming the lawn and the bushes of the impressive front yard.
  Typical of Charles, they were early for the meeting. They still needed to wait on Jorge, his hostage Cass, and Gabriel to arrive.
  And Charles knew, it was time for some answers from Cass.

Gawfy

Gabe and Jorge were on their way to the meeting, walking up the golden path leisurely as Jorge carried Cass leaving gabe to take in all their surroundings while still sticking out like a sore thumb.
Man aint used to seeing all this nice shit around me.  He said as he whistled to a Maid on a nearby second story balcony hanging up laundry. Not getting a wink of sleep that night but instead bullshittin' with Jorge the entire night in a cramped safe house watching cass. Despite the lack of sleep, and Jorge robbing him blind in a game of cards gabe  was in a fantastic mood.  He always was when he was about to get paid.  I always get paid by a Stoodgie in the back end of a shitty bar so you are gonna have to lead us Jorge.

Wycliff

Aven sat in Sharon's shadow, carefully listening and observing. He'd been staking Merissa's house all night, waiting for Sharon to drop off Siro. She'd crossed the shadow of a lamp post, and that was all Aven needed to slip into her shadow undetected, and luckily so: the sun was so hot that morning, were he to step into daylight, he'd barely be able to think.
Sharon met and walked with Charles to what he assumed to be Mr. Winters mock estate. An elaborate ruse to be sure: whatever Mr. Winters dealt in, it was profitable. VERY profitable. It made Aven sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valtxr

"See, that wasn't so bad, was it, Cass?" Jorge grinned. "We're real nice people when you get to know us. Ain't we, Gabe?"
  "I-I-I guess so. Y-yeah, I guess so," she replied, still suffering from all the little nervous tics and twitches in her face muscles that had plagued her throughout the night.
  Jorge nudged Gabe. "Hey, we shoulda let her in on that game of cards, yeah? Let her gamble for her freedom or some shit. Sure, that wouldn'ta went over well today, but it would've been a real riot."
  For fun, Jorge had decided to carry Cass as if they were newlyweds once they had left the safehouse. But now that they had reached The Golden Path, he decided to put her back down on her own two feet. Looked a little less conspicuous that way. Kept her close, but allowed her to walk of her own accord.
  "Ah, you're tellin' me, mate," Jorge swept his hand in a grand gesture from his left to his right. "All this shit here, far too rich for my blood. I'd probably just gamble one of these big fuckin' houses away if I owned one. Talk about a high-stakes game, am I right?"
  Jorge nodded when Gabe brought up the highlight of the morning: payday. "No worries, there. Boss man'll do the talkin'. Get us all the coin for a job well done."

Sharon watched Jorge, Gabe, and an unknown female elf approach. She eyed Jorge with some lingering contempt—she still had a bone to pick with him about Siro.
  "Happy to see you too, love," said Jorge. His mask was down around his neck, exposing the burned half of his face and the grin he bared.
  Sharon said nothing. Instead, shifted her glance to Gabe. "Hey, I'm sorry about yesterday. That incident with the big guard. Really. That whole situation was a mess and...well...thanks for doing what you did. Charles told me all about it this morning. You really came through for us."
  She extended her hand in greeting. "Sharon Gordon. It's nice to properly meet you, Gabe."

Not too long after the group was assembled outside the gate, the front door of the estate opened. Far away, a man in clearly noble attire exited the building, and started down the path toward the gate.
  "Here he comes," Charles said.
  The man stopped about a quarter of the way to the gate. Yelled something at one of the servants trimming a bush by the walkway. The distance made it hard to make out what exactly he was saying, but the servant stood up straight and then bowed her head deeply, apologetically. But the man didn't relent. With another curt yell, he slapped the servant hard enough to knock her over onto the walkway. The crisp report of the slap traveled far enough to reach Charles' ears, same with the rest of the group. The man stepped over her fallen body, and continued all the way to the gate.
  Two nearby servants immediately dropped what they were doing and opened the large metal double doors of the gate for him. The noble man stopped. He had a sharp face—almost elven in appearance—impeccably groomed blonde hair, and disdainful eyes. He stood with his head slightly tilted back, such that he looked down his nose at those before him.
  "Earnhardt," Charles said.
  Earnhardt glanced at everyone's hands. Pronounced his words with venom in his voice. "Failure, I presume, seeing that you have no shipment."
  Charles stepped forward. Reached into his pocket. "There was no shipment. Only this. Delivered by this courier that we have here."
  Charles handed Earnhardt the letter procured from yesterday's heist. Earnhardt read it aloud, "'Monarch rises from the Abyss.' Well, I can hardly imagine a more colossal waste of Mr. Winters' time and resources than this fruitless letter."
  "The courier," Charles pointed back at Cass, who flinched and stumbled back into Jorge and Gabe, "may know something about this. Something valuable."
  Earnhardt visibly considered it. "Hmm. Very well. Take her down to the hole. Interrogate her. Torture her if necessary." Cass shrieked. "If Mr. Deegan has some manner of secret weapon or ace up his sleeve, then we need to know what it is before Mr. Winters makes any power plays. We will need to discover who or what this 'Monarch' is."
  Earnhardt flicked his hand dismissively at the rest of the group behind Charles. "Have them take care of the interrogation. Come with me, Charles. I'll procure your payments for yesterday's job. Also, I'm expecting a very important message to arrive within the hour, and I want to discuss it with you when it gets here."
  With that, Earnhardt turned on his heels and started back toward the estate.
  Charles sighed quietly. He wished the old lieutenant was still around. Working with Earnhardt was...taxing, to say the least.
  He turned. Looked to Sharon. "Alright, Sharon, I need you to take the lead on this. Use Jorge, Gabe if he's up to it, but get the job done. You heard Earnhardt. Don't let me down on this."
  Sharon nodded. "I won't."
  "Good." And Charles caught up with Earnhardt and followed him toward the estate.
  Sharon looked to Jorge and Gabe. Explicitly avoided eye contact with Cass. Motioned her head in the general direction of 'the hole', the entrance to which were the cellar doors around the side of the estate. "Let's go."
  She started toward the cellar doors, cutting across the lawn to do so.
  Jorge clamped both his hands onto Cass' shoulders, nearly making her jump out of her skin. "Alright, time to take a trip down to the hole. You're gonna love it down there. Well, on second thought, maybe you won't."
  He started after Sharon, forcefully guiding Cass along.
  "Come on, Gabe," he said. "Might earn a nice bonus if you can get Cass here to spill the beans."

Gawfy

Ah you can thank me later Sharon, maybe over a drink or a game of dice. Gabe said, As The carefree expression would soon run away from Gabe's face As he heard "the hole" bringing up bad memories of a certain hole in Adela... His face was now stern and cold as he eyed Mr.Earnhardt Now that was a smug Bastard who looked liked he could use his teeth fed to him. Then the topic changed from the shipment to the girl. Sharon was to take the reins on this one. Gabe felt sick inside. But he still nodded As Jorged spoke to him. As they made their way to the hole with the shuddering child Gabe thought. It was all he could do, Was he really going to Beat the ever loving hell out of a kid? If he did Sharon and Jorge would no doubt sing his praises and probably be given a full time job. Never would he have to worry about food or anything else. Gabe wandered in thought as they made their way to the cellar.

Wycliff

Aven took in all the information silently, almost making a noise at the arrival of a small Elven child. They were going to torture a child?! He could tell by the looks on their faces the order didn't sit well at all with any of them, but the intent to follow orders was there. But could he really play his hand so quickly to save that child? Actually, that was wrong: could he afford not to save that child?
He already knew his answer. As soon as they let go of her, he'd whisk her away with his shadow tendrils. Plus, it seemed she was the focus of the meeting, so he could kill two birds with one stone.

Valtxr

The hole smelled horrific.
  Not that it was an overpowering stench. A subtle, dirty scent—despite the small room itself being immaculately clean and featureless—lingered behind the air down in the cellar. Dried blood, urine, excrement, vomit, death; tiny repulsive hints of it all played sinister games with the nose on each inhalation. It was as if the smells themselves were somehow caked into the gray walls and floor of the cellar itself.
  There were only the stairs leading up to the cellar door and the outside, a single wooden chair in the center of the room, and three small rectangular windows along the right-hand wall. Enough daylight leaked in from the windows to provide whoever was unfortunate enough to sit in the chair with some small amount of hope. That there was an escape from this—this endless cycle of suffering.
  Jorge plopped Cass down in the chair. She sat on it as if doing so was the only thing keeping her from a perilous fall off of a canyon.
  He stepped back, let Sharon come forward.
  Sharon looked down at the pitiful elf. Maybe Gabe's age, in elven years? Didn't matter. She didn't deserve this.
  Sharon crouched down some. Took hold of Cass' trembling hands. "Hey," she whispered. "Look at me."
  Cass just couldn't stop moving her head. But she managed to focus her eyes on Sharon for a few seconds.
  Sharon forced a smile. "I need you to tell me some things."
  "I-I-I'm just a courier. I said that. I said that, didn't I? I'm pretty s-sure I said that. I said that, right? I might not've said that. Ahhhh...why didn't I say that?"
  "Is that what you do for a living? Courier work?"
  Cass nodded. Quick, tiny, jerky motions with her head. "Y-yeah. That—that's me. Cass. Cass the courier. I like to—I like to run. You know? Like to push myself. Like nature m-more than I like people. Oh! Um, um, no offense. I just—well, I just—I get nervous around people. You've p-probably noticed. H-Have you noticed?"
  Jorge took a loud step forward, spoke louder, "Holy hells, lady, how the fuck do you stay in business?"
  He actually didn't like playing the bad guy in the standard interrogation routine. Being the good guy was far more fun—you had to get real creative. But Sharon lent herself well to the good guy part, so he just rolled with it. He had a passing thought about what Gabe might try, if he participated. Crazy guy? Gambler guy? Yeah. Offer Cass something on a dice roll with loaded dice, scare the shit out of her even more when her luck 'ran out.' Sounded fun. Jorge might have to try that himself one day.
  Cass recoiled back into the chair. "I'm quick! Fast. Discrete. All that, you know? I-I-I deliver s-sensitive messages. Things people don't want to send by other means. I'm just good at it, I guess. Oh, well, until today, I guess. Well, technically yesterday, but—"
  Sharon interrupted. Still spoke in a low, quiet tone. "Who sent you to deliver that letter?"
  "Oh, well, I'm not sure. I-I mean, there was a person, of course. There—there's always a person. Worst part of my job. I like running through the forest better. I like n-nature more than I like people. Wait. Did I say that already? I said that, right? I think I said that."
  Sharon squeezed Cass' hands a little tighter, trying to get her to focus again. "Hey, hey, look at me. Right here. Good girl. This person who sent you, what was their name?"
  "Ah, well, you know, I-I'm sure he had a name. Everybody has a name, right? I mean, I've never met anybody without a name. M-Maybe there is somebody without a name. M-Maybe. That'd be strange. Real strange, but possible, I guess." Cass looked confused. "W-w-what were we talking about again? I-I think I lost track."
  Sharon sighed. Released Cass' hands and stood up straight. She glanced back at Jorge and Gabe.
  Maybe one of them knew the right question to ask.
  Or maybe there was no right question to ask, but instead how to ask it.
  Still, she looked to the two of them for a possible assist.

Gawfy

As they questioned the girl the smell of death from the room kept Gabe in thought. He could feel nothing but pity for the girl. He remembered only a few years ago when he was small as she was, and getting the shit kicked out of him. How would he be any different if he did that now? Gabe made up his mind. He wasnt going to hurt this girl.
Gabe walked up to her and dug around in his pockets, Doing so he found some peppermint candies and butterscotch candies. He produced both in his hands as he presented them to her. Would you like some candy? No matter which one she told he would give her the other anyway. He would then do what he wanted when he was in the same situation. Just talk.
Listen Cass we aint gonna hurt you. Plain and simple, Now that thats out of the way what can you tell me about yourself? Favorite color? What foods do you like?
These seemingly pointless questions would go on forever as gabe spoke, listened, and laughed to the occasional  joke.  Gabe would then bring up the letter again first pointing to the seal, now broken.  What do you remember about getting this? Who, when and where?

Wycliff

Aven settled down, taking stock. It seemed that the little Elf, Cass, would be fine for the time being, there was no need to blow his cover so quickly. Besides, he was now as curious as they were: what was all this about a letter? Certainly, they could've read the letter and found out a general idea of who it was from. Regardless, it was just more information he could work with trying to bring down Mr. Winters, should the need arise. He still wasn't positive of the organization's intentions or operational capabilities, only some of their methods. Perhaps he could gain a bit more insight from the interrogation, but the moment it became hostile, he would still break the windows and get Cass away.

Valtxr

Jorge grinned when he witnessed Gabe's unorthodox approach. Candyman. He never would've thought of it himself. A little this for a little that, though. Solid strategy. Had promise.
  But Cass looked at the two candies as if they were poisonous snakes. "Oh, no. No-no-no thank you, sir. Sir. I should call you sir, right? That's probably right. I think it's right, since I'm, well, here, and you're, um, there...no thank you, sir. I-I don't think I should. R-Really. I'm fine. Totally fine. I think."
  Sharon stood her ground in front of Cass, while Jorge started pacing in a large circle around the three of them.
  Cass' eyes darted between Sharon and Gabe as he asked his next series of questions. "Oh, um, well, I, um...green! Green. Green is my favorite. Yup. Definitely, definitely green. That's, um, w-why I don't like the city, you know? The color palette is all drab and it smells weird and—oh, oh, no offense! I can see you're from the city. You're from the city, right? A city, I guess I should say. I think." And she answered his next question. "Venison! I like venison. It's good. Real good. I don't, well, I don't know if that's a good thing for me to say. B-But I pay my respects to the animal. Like a good hunter should, you know? And I don't always eat it! Oh, um, I mean, not all the time, is what I mean. I don't really let most of it go to waste. Oh, um, I...yeah. Right."
  "Where's your weapon, hunter?" Jorge said when he was directly behind her in his pacing.
  "I'm sorry, w-what?"
  "Your weapon. What do you hunt with? How do you kill the deer?"
  "Oh, um, well, I just...well, you know, there's plenty of ways to do it. Of course there is, right? Yeah, um, there's ways. Weapons! You were talking about weapons. Right. Well, I would never think about using weapons. I'm harmless, really. A nobody—"
  "Are you lying to me?"
  Cass shrieked. "What!? Oh, no, no, no, not me. Of course not. W-Why would I do that? I-I-I'm just a courier. Uh, uh, I said that, didn't I? I think I said—"
  Jorge leaned in behind her and whispered into her ear, "You better fuckin' start tellin' us the truth, Cass."
  She clenched her eyes shut, sobbing in abject fear. "Oh, gods...oh, gods...what have I gotten into? Shoulda said no. Shoulda said no. Shoulda said no. Shoulda said—"
  Sharon crouched back down and quickly took hold of Cass' hands again. She'd seen it before, from earlier interrogations—that subtle crack in resolve. The opportunity had shown itself. Now or never.
  "Hey, hey, look at me, Cass, look" Sharon said. Cass opened her eyes, and two big tears spilled out. Sharon pointed back to the envelope in Gabe's hands with the broken seal. "I need you to answer those questions for me. One at a time. Okay? Who gave that to you? Give me a name."
  "Lots of people. Talking. I think. I, um, well, there might have been. Always talking. I hear too much. Way too much in the city. That's why I like n-nature so much. Quiet. Peace and quiet. C-Calms my nerves. I-I-I'm usually a bit nervous around—"
  Sharon interrupted. Switched to the next question. "Where were you when you accepted the job? I need a city. A street. A district. Give me something, Cass. Please."
  "I-I-I couldn't really see much of anything. Dark. It's always dark. You city folk love to meet in dark places so much I—no offense! Oh gods, I didn't mean anything by it. I just—I just—"
  Sharon stood up and turned her back to Cass. She put a hand to her hip and massaged her forehead with the other. She was wrong about Cass' resolve. Misread the situation. Or tried the wrong approach. In either case, she had made zero headway.
  Charles was counting on her. Siro was counting on her. And she didn't have all day.
  Jorge looked to Gabe. Shrugged when he was behind Cass again. His gesture seemed to say it all: any other bright ideas?

Gawfy

Gabe Put his hand on Sharon's Shoulder. Ease up this wasnt all for nothing. Gabe said as he keeled down to Cass. Shh.. just take some time, breathe and cry if you must just get it out. Gabe stood back up to Sharon and Jorge.  Well we know Cass isn't  from the city now,Some one must have come to her out in the wild, or rather lured her into the city.  There are dozens of other street urchins our mystery man could have had take Cass's place. Thing about that would be they know the city like the back of their hand. Interrogate them and you would get all information you could ever want. Gabe said as he walked over to a wall and leaned against it. I think cass really doesnt know anything about the man that gave her that letter. I mean for fucks sake she is a child of the forest, she wouldnt know the first thing about Street names or Districts, And i think who ever sent us this letter knew that and exploited it, And with her under the bed i think he wanted her to get caught. Gabe walked over to cass once more and got to her level once again.
Breathe honey, now please tell me You get the envelope  from city man did he pay you then and there? So after he pays or doesnt pay you then you deliver it, what do you do after you give the letter to its owner? If Cass couldnt answer this then she probably was just a disposable pawn for whomever sent this letter.

Valtxr

"Nana, can I ask you a question?"
  Merissa sat at a small table just outside the back of the house. The grassy commons had quieted down some as the sun rose ever higher in the sky. Niko was inside, doing the chores Merissa had asked him to do.
  Merissa put down her glass of wine. Smiled at Siro. "Of course, dear."
  Siro walked around the table, came up close to her. Had one of her books in hand. "I don't think I'm supposed to ask this, but...Nana, have you ever seen magic before?"
  The immediate thought that came to mind was last night. Her encounter with Aven. But she dismissed the thought as quickly as it had come.
  "Oh yes, I have. Essryn is quite different from Reajh. As a matter of fact, most of the world is."
  A bit of hesitation from Siro. "Sharon doesn't like me talking about it. About magic. She says it's nothing but 'bad business'."
  "She's just worried about you, that's all." Merissa glanced around the commons with only her eyes. Focused back on Siro. "Connlaoth is a beautiful country, dear. But the people here have...particular views on magic. You have to be careful."
  "But there's this part in Histories of Adela that talks about Sanctuary. I've read it five times."
  "Wow. Five whole times?"
  Siro grinned and nodded. "Yup. Five times, Nana. It talks about the Healer's College there, and how it's holy ground, and how nobody can do violence there. I really like it!"
  Merissa smiled and laid a hand on Siro's shoulder. "That sounds great. Did you want to visit Sanctuary someday?"
  Siro's grin faded away and her eyes dropped to the ground. She whispered, "I wish Sharon lived there. Then she couldn't hurt people anymore."

Sharon glanced at Gabe when he approached her. Spoke to her. She only managed half a smile. If only she could heed his advice. Ease up. Remove herself from the situation. Her emotions. The perpetual worry that she was one misstep away from begging on the streets again.
  She had to prove herself here. Had to. Charles had seen potential in her six months ago when he recruited her to the job. Sharon, luckily, was a natural with pistols, but the job required more than just being a good shot. Grit. Determination. A willingness to do whatever it took.
  You have to be your best self.
  Charles had taken a risk, bringing her on board. His judgment would be called into question if she turned out to be a failure. His livelihood at stake. His family.
  Who ever that self may be.
  Gabe asked another two questions. Again, more babbling from Cass. More answers that led no where. Strings of words with little or no connection or flow. It seemed they could question Cass all day like this, and she'd keep on constructing her labyrinth of meaningless answers for them to get lost in.
  ...you must master it. For Siro.
  Sharon turned around. Faced Cass.
  "I'm sorry."
  "W-what?"
  Sharon drew her pistol and fired. Blood spurted from Cass' left knee. Cass hollered as loud as she could, grabbed hold of her injured leg, and fell from the chair. Blood dripped to the floor. The bone of her shattered kneecap stuck out from under her skin.
  Jorge's eyes widened, but he did nothing other than take a step away from Cass.
  Sharon tossed the pistol aside. Quickly crouched down to Cass' level. Grabbed hold of her shirt and lifted her up some.
  Cass eyed Gabe frantically. "H-He said you wouldn't hurt me!"
  "Yeah, and you lied to us too."
  Sharon raised up and punched Cass in the face. Felt her knuckles dig into Cass' nose and eye socket. The elf's head bounced off the hard floor. She gargled. Struggled for breath.
  Sharon laid a shaky hand on her reserve pistol. "Names. Places. Start talking, or you're going to lose the other kneecap."
  Cass turned her head to look up at Sharon from the floor. Two strings of blood and saliva dangled from her quivering lips, a light red foam oozing from the corners of her mouth. She couldn't open her left eye. She gasped for breath. Her chest heaving.
  "Samsara..."

Wycliff

Aven was shocked, to say the least. How could Sharon do that?! She's only a little girl! A brief pause got his mind back together, sadly realizing that Sharon had made her choice. Six tendrils of shadow dart out from behind Sharon, five of them securing safely around Cass's limbs and head, while the other shatters the windows outward with a single flick. Aven detaches his shadow from Sharon's, the tendrils connected to his and following his shadow as it darts out the window in a flash, carrying Cass along with him.
If Sharon was truly a coward, wasn't willing to change, to make the leap out of the darkness, there was nothing Aven could do for her: the next time he found her committing crime, he would not ask questions. He would have her incarcerated. As for Cass, for the time being, he'd get her out of the estate and find out what exactly "Samsara" was.

Gawfy

Gabe recoiled as sharon fired her pistol. FUCKIN ANSGAR SHARON Was all gabe could muster as he watched her Pound Cass's head into the ground. It took all of gabe's will not to reflexively get her off of cass, then she Answered "Samsara" She did know somthing, but decided to not tell them.
Then like a flash Cass whipped off from the floor and out of the cellar.  What in the fuck?! by the time gabe reached out to her she was gone. What in the hell just happened? he would ask out loud

Valtxr

She had it. The answers within her grasp. Redemption.
  And then she lost it. Something happened. Something Sharon could barely comprehend. A nightmarish...thing pulled Cass—meekly kicking and loudly screaming—through one of the small windows, her body only just small enough to squeeze through.
  Jorge looked to Gabe, far less fazed by the black tendril creature than Sharon. "Called that one yesterday, didn't I? Elves are slippery as fuck, I'm tellin' ya."
  Sharon glanced rapidly from the empty chair, to the blood on the floor, to the broken window. This happened under her watch. The only thing of value garnered from yesterday's heist, stolen from the estate right under her nose.
  "We have to find her! She can't be far!"
  Jorge chuckled. "You know any Mordecai, love? 'Cause I sure don't, and that looked like some fine magic to me. She's gonna be long gone."
  "No! We can still...we can still get her!"
  Sharon turned and sprinted to the stairs, vaulting up them two at a time.
  Jorge glanced at Gabe. Shrugged. "Fuckin' hell. Guess we could put in an effort." He pulled out his pistol and started leisurely for the stairs.

Sharon hardly took five steps out of the cellar and into the sun's bright, scrutinizing gaze before her stomach churned violently. She doubled over.
  The pistol shot. The bone. Her knuckles. Cass' broken skin. The blood. Sharon's own inhumanity.
  She vomited, her meager breakfast spilling out onto the grass. Hot bile burned her throat, her tongue, her teeth. She stood there, her hands on her knees. Panting.
  Her legs shook and buckled, and she dropped down to one knee.
  Siro could never know what happened in that room.
  Ever.

Wycliff

Aven darts along the ground, and up, out of sight, onto the rooftop of a nearby building, his tendrils setting Cass down, her leg propped up by one of them. Blood spilled down the wound and onto the rooftop.
Aven rose from his shadow, his body rising from the darkness as though it were water. When he stood on the ground once more, he took no time to introduce himself, immediately tearing off his emblazoned  half-cape, staring at the wound.
"I'm sorry, this will hurt, be still." A tendril reached into the wound, pulling out the bullet that was lodged in the cartilage, tossing it aside. Aven proceeded the wrap his cloak around it, tying a knot to stem the bleeding.
His eyes drooped in the sunlight as it weakened his thoughts, but he focused on the task at hand. The tendrils that weren't holding her leg straight receded, while shadows formed a transmutation circle under her leg, under which he also put a small dagger. He put his hands on the edge, causing the circle to glow, and the cape twisted and morphed, transforming into a cast of sorts, the dagger's metal reinforcing the structure, sealing the area from infection. He wiped his brow. "You should be fine now, Miss Cass."

Gawfy

Gabe followed close behind Jorge as they made their way up the stairs.  Yeah, guess you where right about the elf, Though i wonder why she didnt escape while we where playin cards yesterday.
Gabe was still surprised Sharon shot the kid. Though it did provide an answer  What would you have done back there if Sharon didn't shoot her? Gabe Asked Jorge, though he did ask the question out loud he was wondering himself what he would have done. They then made their way up to Sharon kneeling over a pile of vomit. Gabe put a hand on her back and rubbed it. Thats what he liked some one to do whenever he drank too much. Easy there Sharon, Looks like shes gone, we had better report to Charles.

Valtxr

A boy ran along The Golden Path. He was only a year or two older than Siro.
  He stopped at the gates of Earnhardt's front estate. Banged on the bars for the servants to hear.
  "Hey! I've got an important message for Mr. Julius!"
  One of Mr. Winters' enforcers overseeing the work of the servants called for the gate to be opened. The two nearest servants dropped their landscaping tasks and rushed to the gate. Opened it.
  And the boy hurried down the walkway and into the estate, a big smile on his face.

Cass threw her head around in a frenzy, trying to get a bearing on what happened and where she was now.
  Then a man rose from nothing it seemed.
  This will hurt.
  "No, no, no, w-wait, please—!"
  Cass clenched her eyes and hollered in pain once more, her voice much more hoarse and ragged this time. Her scream tapered off as she came close to losing consciousness. She shivered. Her breathing, still heavy, stabilized.
  She peeked through half-open eyes. Saw the makeshift cast on her leg. Vaguely saw the man through a veil of tears. The blue sky behind him.
  "I-I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't've said anything. Shoulda kept my mouth shut. Shoulda known better. Shoulda known better. Shoulda known better..."

Jorge lifted his foot to take the first step on the stairs. Stopped. Thought. He jogged over to Sharon's empty pistol, holstered his, picked hers up for her, then jogged back to the stairs. Hiked up them with Gabe.
  "Eh, suppose she didn't do anythin' I wouldn'ta done my own damn self. I'm really just surprised she had it in her to begin with. Only ever seen her play the good guy down here. Guess Sharon's actually got a mean streak and a good-sized pair of lady-nuts to back it up."

Sharon flinched slightly when Gabe rubbed her back. Embarrassment rushed through her body, and her cheeks flushed. She spit down into the grass, wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. This wasn't a very dignified moment in her life, and she was grateful that Gabe didn't seem to be very judgmental.
  She shook her head. "No. We have to find her. She could still—"
  Jorge stepped around to her other side. "Sorry, Sharon, but Gabe's right. Don't know how she did it, but she got the fuck outta here. You got any brilliant ideas on how to track down an elf with that kinda magic, you be my guest and tell me what I gotta do. If not, we better let Charles know what happened."
  Sharon squeezed her eyes shut. Pursed her lips.
  Failure. Again. There was no avoiding it.
  After a long moment, she opened her eyes. Glanced to Gabe and Jorge. Nodded. And stood.
  "I'm ready."
  She started toward the estate, and Jorge followed.

The craftsmanship inside the estate was as beautiful and lavish as the outside. The ceiling of the grand foyer immediately through the estate's front doors was three stories in height, as high as the building itself. Sharon's boots seemed to echo on the polished wood of the floor. Natural daylight gently filtered in through windows throughout the whole of the foyer.
  Sharon made her way to the central staircase of the foyer and climbed up it, with Jorge in tow. A boy passed them, going down the staircase. He had a small pouch in his hand that clinked with the familiar sound of coins. The boy left through the front doors.
  Sharon got off the staircase at the second floor. Entered the first set of double doors at the landing.
  Earnhardt's office. He sat at the head of a long, oval table, a huge window offering a spectacular view of the resplendent Golden Path neighborhood behind him. Expensive busts and paintings decorated the room.
  Charles sat on the left side of the table, close to Earnhardt. Sharon walked around to the right side, but didn't sit. Jorge stood behind her.
  Earnhardt watched her. Rested his elbows on the table and bridged his fingers. "I suppose you've gotten something of value from the elf, then?"
  Sharon swallowed. Glanced at Charles. Then focused on Earnhardt. "We did, but...she escaped in the process."
  Earnhardt immediately shot a nasty gaze to Charles, who had just closed his eyes like a disappointed father when she said it. Earnhardt looked back to Sharon with a face of renewed disdain. "I have yet to be impressed by you, Ms. Gordon. Charles debriefed me on what transpired yesterday evening, and now this today...I'm beginning to think that you are quite ill-suited for this job. Well, go on, then. Tell me what your hostage had to say before you allowed her to escape."
  "She—" Sharon stopped herself. Suddenly realized how worthless the intel she had extracted was without any context. "She said...'Samsara'."
  Earnhardt waited. Arched his eyebrows after a few seconds passed. Threw his hands up dramatically, expecting her to say something else. Anything else. He slammed his hands back down on the table. "And what are we to make of this? Hmm? Please, tell me, Ms. Gordon, I'd certainly love to know the story of how you've wasted your morning. Just what is this 'Samsara'? A person? A place? Someone's fucking dog? Do you even know? Well?"
  Sharon bit her bottom lip. Flicked her eyes back to Jorge and Gabe. Jorge shrugged.
  She said, "We're not sure."
  Earnhardt rolled his eyes, mumbled something under his breath about 'women'. He motioned to Charles and said, "Go ahead. Give Jorge and Gabriel their payments. Given Sharon's pathetic performance yesterday and today, I say that she has earned nothing."
  Charles reached down to the floor, picked up two of the three sacks resting by his chair, and slid them across the table toward Jorge and Gabe. The sacks were heavy with coins.
  Sharon's heart collapsed into her chest. She might have to ask Merissa for some food this week, for Siro at the very least.
  "Now then," said Earnhardt, bridging his fingers once more. "One of my street informants has actually delivered to me some good news today, and this is why I have called for this meeting." He leaned forward some. "We're going to rescue a defector from deep within Mr. Deegan's territory. A defector who knows the location of Mr. Deegan's treasury."

Wycliff

Aven's silver-grey eyes are soft, and he gently shushes her, stroking her left arm. His voice is soothing and calm, a warm, comforting smile on his features. "It's okay, it's okay, you're safe now. I'm not going to hurt you, and I'm sorry for the rough escape, Miss Cass: I wanted to treat your wound as fast as possible, is all." He glances down at her wound. "It wouldn't have be able to heal until the bullet was removed, and setting it is your best chance to be able to use that leg again once it does." He refocuses on her, gazing into her eyes. "I can protect you from here on out, so there's no need to hold back. Can you tell me who "Samsara" is? That note you had was incredibly cryptic, and it worries me."

Wycliff

(((I think the two parties are splitting up for now, do we want the to have the posts be separate for Cass/Aven and Gabe/Company?)))