Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Samsara (Closed) (M)

Started by Valtxr, April 02, 2017, 03:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtxr

Jorge rubbed the burns on his face. "Yeah, fair point there, Gabe. Ain't seen any high-class dicks struttin' 'round with a mug like this."
  Charles looked over Gabe. Scrutinizing him. Nodded afterward. "You'll do fine. As long as you look the part and act like you know your business inside and out, then yeah, you'll do just fine. They might comment on your age, but they won't care so long as you get those two things right." Charles looked back out over the railing. "There won't be much serious talking once Sharon is delivered anyway. It'll mostly be shooting the shit with Rains' men while you wait. Casual interactions. Plenty of opportunities to slip away and get McMurray out of there unnoticed." He glanced at Gabe again. "You'll definitely need more than a plain shirt, though. Once Sharon is done, there's some nobleman's clothes in there as well. Get you looking the part."
  As they waited, Jorge couldn't help but to eye Gabe's large tattoo. Really noticing it, now that attention had been called to it. And he struck up conversation. "Say, where'd you get the tat anyway, Gabe? That sure is a shitload of ink. You an enthusiast, or you put in some work for another gang out there? Just figured somethin' like that either cost a small fortune or you earned your stripes in the big bad underworld." His eyes bounced down to the dragon, then back up to Gabe's. "Guess scales is the better word for it in this case, eh?"

Sharon stepped out of the tub. Water dripped to the polished wooden floor. She wrapped a cloth towel around herself and walked to the assortment of female clothing neatly arranged on the nearby table. Dresses, blouses, skirts, all made with the finest materials and lavishly decorated. The pinnacle of Connlaothian fashion laid out on the table before her.
  The clothing. It seemed so foreign, so distant, even as she stood so close to it.
  She gingerly laid a hand on one of the dresses. Exceedingly soft to the touch. Beyond anything her fingers had ever graced before.
  Unreal.
  Some day, she thought. Until then, I can still dream.

Gawfy

Gabe listened intently as Charles explained then Looked down as Jorge mentioned his tattoo
Long story. Hell they had time to kill so gabe thought he would tell it. He sat down in one of the chairs as he started his explanation
I was in a gang, My first gang. I was raised in a hellhole of a orphanage in Adela. Shut down when i was seven so instead of begging all of us just started doing nasty shit to survive. Not all of us are still breathing, I got it when i was Sixteen, My brother got one identical to mine but its blue and black.
All of us got a tattoo, I chose a dragon based on a myth i read when i was a kiddie, A gate that could turn fish into dragons, But the way to the gate was dangerous,every fish who tried to get to it failed, save for one, And it became a Brilliant red and white dragon.
  Gabe finished as he looked to his back.  Thats how i got my Ink. Gabe said as he stood up. I should probably get on those shitty clothes, Before i go i at least wanna down a few cups of Whiskey He then pointed at Jorge And after i get back im winning my coin back, i haven't forgot about last night! As he said this he stepped into the next room.

Valtxr

Jorge grinned as soon as Gabe said 'Adela', and kept it up throughout the rest of the story. "Well, sure is nice to see another Adela boy 'round here. Part about the orphanage fuckin' sucks for ya, Gabe, but sounds like ya did what ya had to do. Took your licks in that shithole and then came out into the world swingin', I'd say."
  And he laughed when challenged to another round of cards and dice. "Well, you're welcome to try, mate! Gotta warn ya, think I'm on still on a hot streak. Got some of that sweet luck still kickin' 'round here!"
  The bathroom door opened.
  Sharon stepped out. Her eyes were bashfully aimed down at the floor, and she couldn't conceal the tiny smile on her face. She wore a sleek blue silk dress with ornate gold trimmings, the slit in the side up to her mid-thigh, and a deep purple shawl wrapped around her neck and draped over her left shoulder.
  Both Jorge and Charles were quiet. Staring in silence.
  "Well," she said, glancing at them. "What do you think?"
  Charles smiled meekly. If only the occasion were different. "You look lovely, Sharon."
  "You look like a garbage fire to me," Jorge said with a deadpan voice.
  Sharon narrowed her eyes. "I'll kick your teeth down your throat, Jorge."
  He grinned, unable to hold it back any longer. "I'm jus' fuckin' with ya, Sharon. Wouldn't want to end up like Cass, now would I?"
  And then they waited on the second floor walkway. Once Gabe was properly dressed, the operation would be a go.

Wycliff

Aven stared her straight in the eyes, a firm, unbending gaze. "There are dangerous Cultists hurting people like you and bending their views of reality. I cannot let this slide, so I will ask again. Who and where are these Cultists? I will be taking care of them myself."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valtxr

Cass' face contorted in horror the moment Aven said 'dangerous.'
  She raised up her hands in front of her face. "I'm sorry! I-I'm sorry! I shouldn't have done this! Please! Don't hurt me...not anymore...not anymore..."

Wycliff

Aven does not falter. "I realize that you are sorry, but regardless, you are answering this question, Cass: I will not let you go until you do. Where are the Cultists?"

Valtxr

Cass covered her face with her hands. Whimpered into her palms.
  Her body convulsed once. A brief fit of fear working its way out. After, she merely trembled. Only the inarticulate sounds of her quiet whimpers escaped through her hands.

Wycliff

Guilt began to eat away at Aven's stomach. It was obvious the girl knew, but she was so heavily damaged that she was tearing her psyche apart trying to hide it. He didn't want to be responsible for that, even if it was some else's fault it started.
He slowly made his way over, sluggish due to the sun's harsh light. "I'm sorry, little one. I was so wrapped up in my desire to protect, I'd ignored the needs of the elf in front of me. How about we get you home and safe, first?" He smiles as warmly as the sun overhead.

Valtxr

Cass slowly opened her hands. Peeked out from them, a child-like gesture.
  And she nodded. Tiny, frantic motions, but a nod nonetheless.
  Her voice was quiet. Weak. "Y-yes. I wanna...I wanna go home. To the forest. Leave the c-city. I...I live...in Sirantil. The valley. The forest is my home."

Wycliff

Aven nods understandingly, and makes a few gestures with his hands, a cloud of dark particles emerging from his shadow and enveloping him, forming into a set of incredibly detailed full plate armor around his body, the tendril holding Cass down dissipating at the same time. The helm is winged, as are the pauldrons, and he slowly stands, the darkness with the armor restoring his strength. "Sirantil Valley, huh? Very well, I shall take you there. I will need to carry you, is that okay? You cannot walk such a distance with that leg of yours."

Valtxr

Cass exhaled a fearful, ragged breath when she saw the shadows crawl over Aven. Her eyes darted around his body as the plate armor formed.
  Still, she didn't move. Didn't try to get away. The promise of home was too appealing.
  She nodded again, dropping her hands fully from her face. "Y-yes. That's okay. I-I just wanna go home. I don't like this place."

Wycliff

Aven maintained his gentle smile, getting onto his feet and scooping Cass up as easily as lifting a newborn baby. He scans the rooftops, finding the best path out of the city toward Sirantil Valley. "Are you ready?"

Valtxr

A single word, and her path back home would be opened before her. Away with this dark city. This evil place.
  "Yes."

Gawfy

Gabe stuggled to get on everything, The dress shirt, the undershirt, the shoes. Gabe hastily put everything on as fast as he could.  He came out of the Room dressed in a sleek black suit, which fit him quite well. He looked the part of a high class criminal, He then ran his now wet hands into his ran through his hair slicking them back. He shot a look at Sharon
Looks good, You ready?

Valtxr

Sharon let out a big huff of air. Answered Gabe. "As I'll ever be." She looked him up and down in his new clothes. He cleaned up nice. Almost a whole new man in the fine clothes. She offered a smile. A meek one, as the nebulous feeling of inevitability came more and more into focus in the back of her mind. "You look good too, Gabe."
  Charles motioned his head to the staircase. "Then let's go."
  And before they left, they stowed their weapons and payments in their personal stashes on the first floor of the estate.
  Go time.

Outside, as they made their way across the walkway of the front yard, Charles said to them, "Remember, keep your cool and get the mission done quietly at all costs. Niraya is the fucking hornet's nest. The neighborhood itself is bad enough, and it's crawling with Deegan's men. If this goes loud, we're dead."
  Earnhardt stood by the open gates of the estate. A large, two-horse drawn passenger carriage was waiting. An expensive ride. The stuff of nobility. It projected power, or at least, the power that money could buy. Enough to intimidate the locals of Niraya that any attempts made against this particular carriage would be unwise.
  Earnhardt watched them approach. "The driver will take you straight to Charles' drop-off point, and then to the mill and back. I expect nothing but good news upon your return."
  And he started back toward the estate, his hands held behind his back.
  Charles opened the door for them. A spacious, six seat interior awaited inside. Cushioned red seats. Actual glass windows. A masterpiece of Connlaothian craftsmanship. Another pinnacle of luxury.
  Charles glanced at Jorge and Gabe. "Do whatever you have to do to get McMurray out of there unnoticed. I'll be outside the mill, blending in. Get him to me, I'll get him out of Niraya, you all get back in the carriage when Sharon's done, and then pick me and him up on the way out, and we all ride back here. Easiest job in the world—"
  "—if we just keep it cool," Jorge finished for him.
  A half-smile broke across Charles' face. A small token of encouragement. For them, and Sharon.
  Jorge climbed into the carriage.
  As did Sharon.
  Despite herself, her heart raced. Slammed against her ribcage in protest. The anticipation was killing her from the inside out.
  She held her right hand with her left after she took her seat. Clutched it tightly. The bones of her left hand forming nervous ridges against the skin.

The textile mill was one of the larger buildings in the impoverished Niraya neighborhood of Reajh. Long and rectangular. Looms of various sizes and the seamstresses operating them lined the ground floor. Beams of daylight from the windows caught specks of dust in their gaze, highlighting their wayward motions through the air. Just another quiet day of work in Reajh. Nothing to see.
  But underneath the mill, in a lower level the size of the ground floor building, lurked another world. One abandoned by the daylight.
  A single lantern hung from the ceiling of the dark room. The air down here was old. Humid. Suffocating. Vile.
  A wooden trough was in the center of this room. Four men were on their knees before it. Hands tied behind their backs. Gags in their mouths. Their necks resting on the edge of it. Pigs to the slaughter.
  The door to the room opened, and Jessos Rains entered.
  Her dirty blond dreadlocks fell to her shoulders. Her eyes an intense yellow. Dark brown pants tucked inside dark brown boots. A heavy leather belt with pouches and pockets and metal hooks and rings that clinked with each step. Only a tight X-shaped chestwrap covered her breasts. Multiple jagged scars marred the flesh of her exposed skin. The entire left side of her face was tattooed—a chaos of black swirls and spikes, spirals into madness. The tattoo ran down her face, the left side of her neck, her left shoulder, and her entire left arm. And, prominently featured on her left shoulder as part of the tattoo's pattern, a familiar symbol: the snake eating its own tail.
  Devon McMurray was at the far end of the trough, but he could still see the light of the lantern reflected by the hatchets Rains held in each hand. Mounting terror forced him to bite down hard on his gag.
  Rains stood behind the first man at the trough. Said in a low, breathy voice, "Name and deed."
  Another man, an associate of Rains', had entered the room with her. He stood by the door and read from a rough piece of paper, "Kennin Ferro. Snitching. Caught trying to give information to the Connlaothian guard."
  Kennin yelled something into his gag. His muffled desperation was of no use.
  Rains swung. The blade of the hatchet sliced clean through Kennin's neck, digging into the wood of the trough. Kennin's head dropped away from his body and rolled to an abrupt stop at the bottom of the trough. Blood spurted out from the neck to the rhythm of the dying heart inside the body. The stream soon slowed to a mere trickle.
  Rains moved to the next man, the metal attached to her belt clinking menacingly. Stood behind him. Said again, "Name and deed."
  Her associate grimaced, and answered, "Geoffry Metik. Rape. Caught him after he had beaten and raped one of Mr. Deegan's working girls. He wanted a freebie, but she refused."
  Rains furrowed her brow. The lantern illuminating the hatred in her eyes. "The working girl. What is her name? And is she alright?"
  "Valoria Clearview. And...her injuries are pretty severe, boss. Doc says she might not make it."
  Rains tilted her head back. "Take one of the potions from the stash. Give it to her. Tell her that she also has two weeks off. With pay—take it from the stash as well. She deserves it."
  The associate made a note of it. 'The stash' was Rains' personal property. A sacrifice on her part.
  Rains turned her attention back down to Metik. The floor beneath him was slick with urine. He pleaded into his gag. A pathetic, disgusting creature.
  "With regards from Valoria."
  Rains swung. Again, the hatchet severed the head cleanly, and it rolled next to Kennin's. Blood hit the wood of the trough in rhythmic thumps until Geoffry's heart gave out.
  Devon's breathing quickened as Rains stood behind the next man. Time was running out. But the other man was handling it much worse than Devon. He moaned and cried into his gag. Flailed his shoulders. Panicking as the funnel of his life drew closer and closer to its last point.
  Rains said, "Name and deed."
  The associate answered. "Cantos Hume. Stealing Mr. Deegan's property. He's got a bad Crystal Vane habit, boss. Got caught stealing a whole crate of it from the mill. No idea how long he's been at it."
  Cantos turned his head as much as he could. Looked up to Rains with wide, desperate eyes. Screamed a muffled scream into his gag until his voice broke and his body shuddered and tears poured down his face.
  Rains stared down at him. Let her breath slowly escape her lungs. She placed her boot on Geoffry's body and shoved it out of the way. Collected both her hatchets into one hand. She crouched down next to Cantos. Grabbed a lock of his hair and pulled his head back, his neck off of the trough. Touched his chin with her index and middle finger. Turned it to face her.
  "You're afraid..." she said quietly, "because you think you are in control. Because you think you have choice. Because you think you could have averted this. That your life could have been some other way." She shook her head. Smiled. Bared some of her teeth. "This is foolish. The moment you were born, you were here. Every step you took wasn't yours to take. Because there is only one path for you, and you belong to it. And that path...has led you here..."
  Rains gently pulled down his gag. Cupped her hand to his cheek. She leaned in. Kissed his lips. He kissed her back, as if doing so were his only escape from the room. She held him there for a long moment before she drew back. She stroked his cheek.
  "...to this. Rejoice, and love your fate. Embrace the chains that bind you. Samsara is the gilded cage for all who live and die. And all share it. Together."
  Rains put the gag back into his mouth. Carefully pushed his head back down. Laid his neck back on the trough. He was quiet now. Calm. She ran her hand through his hair and stood.
  "You'll be here again. Soon enough."
  Rains swung. A bit of blood splashed on Devon's face as Cantos' head rolled next to Geoffry's. Cantos' final moments poured down his neck and into the trough and mixed with the blood of the other men. Diluted in the lake of red pooling at the bottom of the trough.
  Devon bit down into the gag until his teeth ached. His breathing ran wild.
  Rains was behind him. He could feel her. Her presence. The heat from her body. Her legs brushed up against his back. He shuddered. Her scent clawed its way into his nose. Sweet and venomous. A pungent perfume. Like a poisoned fruit. The herald of death in many folk tales.
  "Name and deed."
  "Devon McMurray. Another snitch. Caught consorting with a known street informant of Mr. Winters. We're just waiting on another sighting of the street informant to take care of him too."
  "Good...Very good." Then her voice. Right in his ear. He felt her breath tickling his skin. "You've found yourself on the losing side of this war, Devon. But you need not fear. Rejoice, for this has always been your path."
  She drew back. And Devon knew it was coming. Could feel it. The blades of a thousand phantom hatchets tore through his neck as his mind raced and anticipated its own end. He let out his last breath—
  "Boss! Word about the safehouse in Crescent Square," said another man who burst into the room.
  Rains looked to him. Lowered her hatchet down to her side. "Speak."
  "All the boys there are dead, and that courier, Cassimetra, is gone. No sign of her. No sign of the letter you were waiting on either, boss."
  Rains' throat rumbled with a low growl. She slipped the handles of both her hatchets through two large metal loops on her belt, holstering them. "Leave. It will be dealt with."
  "Yes, boss." And the messenger left as quickly as he had come.
  Rains turned her attention back to Devon. She crouched down. And started unlacing her boots.
  Her associate at the door smirked. He knew what was coming.
  One boot done. Then both. She took off her socks. Laid them carefully on her boots. Stood on the dark floor in her bare feet.
  She placed her right foot on the edge of the trough. Her big toe touching Devon's cheek. His eyes were at the corners of their sockets, gazing in fear and bewilderment at her naked foot.
  Rains leaned forward, her hands on her right knee. Said in that low, breathy, baleful voice, "When the time comes, you will kneel before these feet. You will bend over, and you will kiss them. And you will beg them. Beg for a reprieve from the end. And as you beg, you will hear these words: 'But this is not the end. Rejoice, for it is only one of a thousand more ends. And a thousand more. And still a thousand more. And thus unto the everlasting eternal of Samsara.'" Rains took her foot off the trough. Put on her socks. Her boots. "Only then, will you come to love your fate. And then you will be granted a swift death. A small mercy. For your faith."
  Rains turned her back to him. Her slow and methodical bootsteps marking her leave from the room. Her associate looked to Devon, snickered, blew out the lantern above the trough, and left the room, closing the door. Locked it from the outside.
  Devon was left in the pitch black. The smell of death and Rains' sinister perfume his only company.

Wycliff

A sight caught Aven's eyes, one that made him pause just as he was about to leap onto the next rooftop. He saw figures boarding a carriage, a cleaned up Sharon and the tattooed man from before among them. They're up to something... but I can't leave Cass here to follow them. He glances along the street, spying a guard patrolling near a street corner. He sighed. "I'm sorry Cass, I will be back in a bit to take you home. I need to pursue your captors."
He descends quickly from the roof into the alley, and bounds over to the guard, handing Cass to him. "Take this young woman to the Ansgar's Hand headquarters, tell them Lieutenant Aven Alveron sent you. She is to be treated as a guest, and her wound taken care of." The burly man was confused, but took Cass into his arms anyway, after which Aven disappeared into the alley next to them, melding into the shadows the moment he is out of sight, and darted in shadow form over the rooftops to meld into the shadow of the carriage. He would see his self imposed mission to the end, wrapping up loose ends later.

Gawfy

Gabe followed Sharon to the Carriage and hopped inside. He listened half-way to Earnhardt while he was standing near the gate.  Jorge. Gabe spoke up as the rode there. Ill keep my search contained to the floor Sharon and Rains Will be on and maybe the floor below it, I cant really be wandering around too much as im Sharon's "handler".   He then turned to Sharon. Ill try to stay near by, If anything happens and you feel like your life is in danger just Yell and ill come rushing in.

Valtxr

Cass nodded. Rapid little motions of her head. "O-Oh. Okay."
  She made no protest during the exchange with the guard. She was fearful of him, but she knew she would be going home soon enough. And that was worth some restraint and patience.

The carriage started down The Golden Path as soon as Charles jumped in and shut the door. He sat across from Gabe and next to Jorge.
  Charles added the last few details to the briefing as the carriage rolled down the street. "McMurray's a short guy. About 5'6". Black hair. Mustache. Green or hazel eyes, one of the two. If Rains and her men are really on to him, then he should be pretty easy to pick out. If he's not already dead, he'll be locked up somewhere down there."
  Further down the road, when Gabe laid out his game plan, Jorge said, "Yeah, fair point there. Can't look too lost in there or else the jig's up. Gotta make it all look natural. Maybe get one of the mooks drunk or high and do a walk 'round the place. We'll just have to think on our feet. Whatever we do, I suppose we'll have to do it one at a time. Don't wanna scrape up too much suspicion with both of us trottin' 'round the place at the same time."
  Charles looked up, snapped out of his thoughts, when Gabe spoke to Sharon. On the one hand, he was worried that such an action would jeopardize the mission should Gabe go through with it. On the other, he couldn't help but feel guilty for Sharon's role in the mission, and he didn't want to see her hurt—or worse. He said nothing.
  Sharon loosened her grip on her hand. Nodded. "Alright. I will, Gabe. I trust you. And...thanks again."

The carriage had long since left The Golden Path.
  And the Niraya neighborhood stood in stark contrast to it. Where the houses and building of The Golden Path were tall and regal, the ones of Niraya were low and squalid. Where the streets were wide and spacious, these were narrow and cramped. The people outside the carriage, walking up and down the street, wore threadbare clothing, and some worse than that. Merchants hawked their wares from small, ratty shops and booths lining the street. And every single merchant was armed with some manner of weapon, or had a bodyguard near.
  The carriage rounded a corner.
  A small crowd had gathered on this street, their backs to the carriage. A female voice from inside the crowd. Wailing pitifully.
  As the carriage passed by, there was a small gap in the crowd. Enough for everyone in the carriage to see through.
  A boy laid dead in the center of the crowd. His shirt bloodied. A small pouch next to him, with gold coins spilled out on the street. His mother crying over his body.
  It was the boy that Sharon and Jorge and Gabe had passed on the staircase in the estate. Earnhardt's street informant.
  Jorge shook his head, "Nothin' but animals out here."
  Sharon just stared at the sight with a muted look of shock on her face. Her mouth slightly ajar. A small fragment of horror, passed from her eyes and into her mind. Branded there for all time.

The carriage made the stop before the mill. Charles got out, said, "Good luck," and disappeared among the people on the street.

And finally. The textile mill.
  The streets in front of and along the sides of the mill were far less populated than any of the other streets in the Niraya neighborhood. Those few people who did walk the streets adjacent to the mill hurried along, keeping their eyes anywhere but toward the building itself. The mill was like an island in the middle of the urban sprawl.
  The carriage pulled up to the front of the mill and stopped. Three rough looking men were standing at the front doors, one in front of the other two.
  Jorge got out of the carriage first and held the door open for Sharon and Gabe.
  The lead man grinned ear-to-ear as soon as the carriage door had opened. Said, "Welcome. Welcome, my friends. Ah, new guys, huh? Fair enough. My name is Sergio, and I'm Rains' right hand man. I'll be handling the business end of this transaction. Well, let's see the—"
  Sharon stepped out of the carriage, squinting her eyes somewhat in the early afternoon sunlight. She straightened her dress. Held her hands in front of herself. And smiled as she thought she should.
  Sergio tilted his head. Then nodded. "Oh yeah. I think the boss is gonna love you."

Gawfy

Gabe's Heart sank as he saw the young boy dead in the street, Though his face would show no sign of it. He had seen this dozens of times.  The Carriage had come to a stop. Gabe then stepped out After Sharon.  He thought to himself he needed to Act the part as well. As he got out Gabe imitated as best he could Earnhardt's Smug aura as he met Sergio.Good Evening Mister Sergio, I am Gabriel Stormblood,I am Ms Sharon's Handler Pleased to make your acquaintance. Gabe tried to change everything As he stepped out, His tone, His posture. Gabriel then extended a weak looking handshake from his Gloved hand, He had Often seen such displays and was giving a hundred and ten percent mimicking them. Oh most certainly, Your Boss Will be pleased with her choice.

Wycliff

(((Aven is still observing like before, he'll cut in when he needs to [emoji14])))