Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Through a Glass Darkly [M]

Started by Lion, May 10, 2017, 11:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

That was an odd thing to say this early in the morning. And although he was not ignorant as to what their marriage would entail, the fact that she seemed so overly focused on it was worrying. Was that all she thought she was good for? A brood mare that needed to be filled with as many babies for as long as possible until she was put out to pasture.

He kept his hand firmly held in hers until she released it...  "I...don't mind being naked if that's what you're worried about," he said, trying to reassure her.  And finding himself failing. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to to it, okay? There's no need to rush, we'll be just fine okay."  Mercuxio smiled and reached up to brush a hand to her cheek.

"Let's just try to get to know each other a little more. What is...your....favorite color?"  Okay that was a dumb question. It was too late to take it back now.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

It was hard to resist leaning away from his hand. Instead, she turned her face to it, closing her eyes and letting her cheek rest against his hand while she pondered. A brief glance away before she raised her own hand and pressed her palm to the back of his hand. Aveline took a deep breath and squeezed his hand before trying to smile. "Is that a thing newly weds do?"

Aveline took Mercuxio's hand from her cheek and held it in her lap, fingers trailing over his palm while she just took a moment to look at him.  Still holding her hand in his, she look at his face while he spoke. A surprised laugh bubbled out of her when... "My favourite colour?" Aveline held his hand before she let go of it slowly, pulling the cloak tighter around her shoulders. "I... Purple."

A glance down at herself and she looked at the cloak. "Oh," she blushed and pulled it off of her shoulders, arms curling around her before she held out the fabric, "Thank you. For letting me use it. It's... Nice and warm." Licking her lips she played with the collar of her nightgown and glanced away, "What's your favourite colour?"

Lion

The cloak. That right. She'd kept it and used it to keep herself warm that night. Merric felt his belly jolt at the thought of her wrapped up in that section of cloth, bundled up by a fireplace. And wearing nothing else underneath him. His eyes drifted down to her neck, only glancing away a second from her words. She had a lovely laugh, one that sent shivers up his spine.

"My favorite color," he considered the question. "Royal blue. But the cloak...you keep it. I have lots of them. And I want you to have it. Something from me to you, I think that'll help even things out between us." 

He wished he brought more than one cup of coffee and scooted in closer so that his leg was only vaguely touching hers, although the motion hadn't been on purpose. "Have you had any other animals to care for, when you were younger? Other than horses."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Royal blue.

Aveline examined his features a little closer, pulling the cloak back over her shoulders. She didn't want to make him oveely uncomfortable with er... Womanly charms. Stifling a yawn against the back of her hand she watched him for a moment.

"I had a few house cats. A dog or two. Mostly horses. You have my best ones here. Beautiful and smart. Fast." Aveline sighed and relaxed against the pillows. The coffee did nothing to wake her up and she pushed the mostly empty platter to the foot of the bed.

Should she? Aveline was never one for hesitation. Why start now? After relaxing back into the pillow's she looked him up and down before she reached a hand to brush her fingers through his hair. Her own still in the tight braids around her head. "You look tired," she said softly, opening the cloak side as an offering, "you should have a quick nap with me."  Aveline shifted on the bed so she was at an angle and did her best to look... friendly. Though in little more than a sheer sheet, looking friendly wasn't an easy task.

Lion

A few house cats, a couple of dogs, and lots and lots of horses. Sounded about right.

A lot could be said about a person that cared for creatures that were not human, and Mercuxio liked how she was with the horses. It told him more than she let on. Merric took the tray from the edge of the bed and shoved it aside to the table next to her, resuming his seating position as it were.

Oh....OH?  Merric's eyes widened, the fingers through his hair rather startling. He shifted around though so that he could follow where she touched him. Pulling away quickly would be awkward. They didn't need any excuses to do that.

"A nap? That sounds...nice. Yeah...  It's still pretty early," he replied. He turned onto his side, laying atop the blankets while she lingered underneath and his eyes flicked to her breasts again. They were too lovely to not be appreciated.

"Are you not an early riser? That's okay with me. I tend to be an early bird. But that'll give me an excuse to bring you breakfast in the morning. I thought it would be nice," he murmured. His hand reached out to lay on her shoulder, letting his hand touch the pulse at her collarbone, and only shifted himself so that he could get closer to her. "Let's try this instead."

Merric turned himself so that that he could turn her to lay against his chest, the fabric of his own shirt, shifting so that she might feel the hardness of the muscle underneath. "Comfortable yet?" he managed to say without snorting.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Hm.

Aveline side eyed Mercuxio while he shifted and moved. He seemed surprised. Maybe a little hesitant. Then his hand was on her shoulder and her heart gave a thump, a brief glance at him and she just smiled and closed her eyes.

It was no use getting overly attached.  It was clear he liked men. They'd been technically married for... since they left her house and his hand on her shoulder was it! Still, she hated how her skin tingled and she shifted to where he guided her. "Oh, I wake with the sun," she snuggled in against him.

Aveline pressed her cheek to his shoulder and let her eyes close, "I'll sleep in if it means a handsome man brings me coffee and breakfast," a smirk and she sighed, "and seconds as a warm pillow after breakfast." Her hand sleepily caressed his chest and she sighed again, "it's too bad you like men."

Lion

Wait...what!?

What was that?  "You...think I like men?" he had to asked all of a sudden, tilting his head to get a better look at her. This time they were inside and there was no mistaking what she said. There was no outside interference to worry about.

Merric's eyes were nearly to his hairline and he shifted so that he could actually get closer to her face. "Why do you think such a silly thing?" he snorted.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Oh bother, he was moving. Aveline whined slightly, cracking an eye open to look up at him before she grumbled and closed her eyes again. Still, she lifted her head and looked at him, blinking slowly before she puffed out her cheeks and shifted where she lay. "Of course," she leaned back slightly and lifted her eyebrows.

When he got closer to her face she didn't move away. Instead she pressed her cold fingertips to his throat and just tilted her head slightly. " Well, you're a priest," she stared, voice husky from her desire to simply sleep, "we've been married for a little bit and you haven't even made a move on me. My mother gave me a talk before we set out, something about how any man worth his salt would consummate as soon as possible," then she looked at him through her eyelashes, "I figured, since you weren't interested in me at all then you were... Avoiding it. Until you had to." Aveline shrugged and closed her eyes again.

"It's okay," She pat his chest and yawned again, nuzzling against his shoulder, "I don't expect much."

Lion

Merric felt himself bold enough to rest a hand on her hip - or it would seem like a bold move for a man that was actually trying to prove that he was attracted to women in some vain attempt to make himself believe something untrue. In fact that she thought so and admitted to believing he was a homosexual was all sorts of amusing. Oh lord, what the hell did he just get himself into??

He'd only moved enough so that she was still on his shoulder and he was able to look into her eyes all the while she voiced her mothers unasked for opinion. Oh, for some reason he should have seen that one coming a mile away.

"Was a priest," he corrected gently, grinning and having a hard time hiding his amusement. Hmm, how should he approach this? There was always the option of being rather heated and...ahem, butthurt, about the whole thing. None of her assumptions were true of course, but there wasn't any reason to get upset about it. They were married now, no going back. Mercuxio snorted in his mind, so instead he decided playing along was the best method for now.

"I see. Hm, this does make things rather unusual for us. I know it's always possible for married peoples to have partners on the side. I don't know if I'll be making any such plans. I've never been married, true, but then again neither have you. This is a new experience for both of us. So why don't we experiment a little? See where it goes? I'm willing to try if you are."

He smiled sweetly at her and tilted his head to lean in a little closer. "Why don't we kiss? Just a small one?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Was a priest. Past tense. Aveline moved her hand to cover her yawn before she tried to snuggle down again, finding herself being talked to again. A weary tired look up to her... Man... And she resisted the urge to roll her eyes and cover his mouth with her hand.  Though, it was then she felt the ache of the previous amount of traveling set in and she practically melted against him. Cheeks warm with the pleasure of it. Not him specifically but being so close to someone so warm.

Aveline opened her eyes slowly after her head was tilted, and she blinked up at him before she reached with her own chilly hand and took his chin. Then she tilted his face and pressed her lips to his cheek before she snuggled back down, tucking her forehead to his neck. "Just a small one, now let me nap. I want to look pretty for your family and I can't do that if I don't get my beauty sleep."

Lion

Haaahahahaha.  Well, if that didn't backfire so wonderfully in his face, Mercuxio might actually be inclined to frown at her. So she kissed him back and his cheek was still tingling where they touched him. That wasn't exactly what he had in mind, but nor was he going to wake her up when she finally relaxed and nestled in against him.

"Have a good nap then," he whispered and kissed her right back, although it was just at the corner of her lips rather than on her cheek and his drifted his hand up to her side, gently pressing his palm to her breast.

Merric just eyed her quietly for a while, before the comfort and warmth of the bed soon made him fall asleep as well. A few hours passed before he woke up again and his arm was numb underneath her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

The hand on her breast sent a zing through her system but Aveline was tired enough, mentally and physically to do little more than turn into before she completely passed out against her... Husband. The dreams were sweet, though perhaps a little more erotic than she was used to - it starred a topless Mercuxio again.

Aveline work slowly, arm curled around his chest, pressed tight to his side. Her head was on his chest and she lifted her head to find... "oh goodness," she whispered sitting up and wiping her mouth. "I drooled on you," she whispered before she sat up onto her knees, facing him head on. A little chew on her lip and she flushed at him before she wiped at her mouth and cheek again, making sure nothing was there.

A long look at him and she blinked and looked surprised, nervously smoothing her hands down the front of her nightgown. It was almost noon, judging by the light in the room and she just... Flushed slightly. " I thought... I thought you'd have snuck out," She looked around the room before she sat back on her heels, the cloak long forgotten in her original resting spot, "I didn't expect you to stay."

Lion

She was positively adorable at this moment, and once he caught her eye Merric was hooked. At least until she noted that she had drooled all over him. Mercuxio stirred his fingers, or tried to long enough to wake up his arm and sit up while she shifted back onto her heels. "I've stayed, yes. You're bed is the best in the whole household. I was honored to share it with you."

Oh the cheese on that one hurt.

Merric shook himself. The drool was...quite a lot. And he pulled his arms into the sleeves and pulled the shirt off of him. Because there was no way he was going to walk out of this room with his half-asleep arm and drooled on shirt. Besides the day was here and ready for them, whether they liked it or not.

He didn't really think of himself as being topless in that moment, and there was no embarrassment as he glanced across to her and smiled. He scooted off the edge of the bed, turning around and tucking a hand under her chin, pushing her face up, close to his and leaning in for a quick less chaste kiss. For what it was worth. "When you're dressed, head down stairs. I can introduce you to the rest of the family then." 

He turned around and went out the door. Yep, he'd be needed a new shirt.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Oh dear.

It really was a pity that he liked men.

Unashamed, Aveline watched when he took off his shirt and even licked her lips before she brought the back of her hand to her cheek because it was so warm with blush. Then the smile. Aveline didn't even protest when he tipped her head up for a kiss on the lips. A simple easy kiss. Still, she blinked up at him, lips parted before she blinked again.

Mostly it was the first time she'd seen a man actually topless.

Secondly it was her man. Aveline watched him go in a little daze. Right. Changing.

Aveline slid from the bed, standing slowly before she peeled the nightgown off and tossed it to her bed. It was a simple gown she pulled on, a soft pastel blue that was frilly and off the shoulder. Tight around the waist. Another one to show off her good... Bits. A loose shawl was extracted from a trunk and she pulled it around her bare shoulders before she finally went to a mirror and fixed her hair.

Unbraided, down to her waist. A beautiful mess of waves and loose curls before she finally made her way down the stairs. A pinch of the cheeks to make them rosy and a deep breath and finally... Down the stairs she went. A little nervous.  Very nervous.

So nervous her stomach was rolling at the idea and she took a deep breath before closing her eyes. Hopefully she looked pretty. A good impression. At the very least Aveline was positive their children would grow up to be gorgeous.

Lion

Mercuxio was bathed and dressed by the time he made it down stairs into the great hall, and it was there that he found his mother speaking to a guard, and his little sister looking rather unhappy about getting her hair braided on the bench she was currently occupying.

"Good afternoon, my dear," Christine Rastognlir greeting and turned to her son. Although he was now a Duke, and should be properly addressed as such - even by his mother - he didn't tolerate any nonsense regarding deference on her part. Instead he swooped in and wrapped arms around her form, hugging her to him in a quiet desperation.

"Good afternoon," he murmured, pulling away when he had enough.

"Get up late? Hm, nevermind. Where is your blushing new bride? I can't wait to meet her."

"She'll be down shortly. Lady Aveline Marsters of Folkvar...  Although I guess Aveline Rastognlir is her name now, should she choose to take mine," he sighed and turned to Dani. She tilted her head only slightly and jerked her head toward the stairs.

"I think that's her coming down now."

So much for a good morning...

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Okay.

It would be fine.

Aveline fixed her outfit a few more times, plucking at imaginary fluff and making sure it looked good but not the bad kind of good. Deep breaths. Finally, a few moments and some deep breaths to calm her panic of meeting her new... Family? She finally started down the real stairs and... There they were. Of course she went to the most familiar thing - which was Mercuxio. A passing smile to the girl getting her hair braided and she moved to stand beside him.

"Hello," she said, flushed because these people hadn't been waiting for her all morning had they? "I apologize for being down so late, I don't think I've ever traveled so far in my life and it all caught up to me." Which was true. Physical activity was a common thing for her and she thought fleetingly about her horses but... They were safe in the stables and she had good impressions to make.

Aveline reached for the woman's hand, taking it between two of her own, "it's an honor to meet you, My Lady. I am... Aveline.  I'm afraid your son has told me little about you but I suppose that means we'll have more to talk about." Then again, they knew little about one another. A smile to him over his shoulder and she looked to the girl again, "Is this your sister?" she asked pleasantly, smile bright.

Lion

The one thing that was familiar for her, was rather unfamiliar for him. He wasn't accustomed to having a wife immediately swoop in to his side. He didn't cast her away as he might have been wont to do with anyone else. Mercuxio blushed when she mentioned him not having told her about his mother. Or his sister, just that they've been waiting downstairs all morning. And, while that was true, that wasn't much to go on.

"It's no matter, darling. You've come a long way. And you deserve your rest," Christine beamed in greeting. "And I know you and Merric would like an opportunity to get better acquainted."  A look to Mercuxio and his face flushed deeper. Ugh, what was he, fifteen?

"We had breakfast in bed," he answered. "And fell asleep afterward."

"I'm sure you did," she smiled. "But it's no matter, truly. Besides you have the rest of your lives to spend time with each other. Today I will be with you Aveline. To show you around the estate and properly welcome you to your new home."

Dani twitched and when her braid was at last finished, she eyed this little tart that her brother had brought home. Funny, she always thought he was a little queer himself. No man in their right mind would join the seminary and take a vow of chastity. But she only felt sorry for Aveline. the poor girl getting trapped into a marriage like this.

So she extended her hand. "Darien. I'm Mercuxio's little sister. But you can call me Dani. Please," she said. Her tone surprisingly pleasant.  "Go on. I think my mother wants to abscond you from our company. I do have one question though. How old are you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

This woman...

Aveline blushed and glanced away, up to Mercuxio. Then his mother. Then to his sister. These people were her new family. Deep breaths. "It's a pleasure, Dani," a moments pause to look between the three of them.

Another smile, "I'm..." a glance down and away, "twenty-five. A little old, but..." an awkward chuckle and she glanced down and away before clearing her throat. And she reached for Mercuxio's hand and gave it a quick squeeze before she pulled her hand away. 

"I'd love for you to show me around. It's a lovely estate," Aveline smiled and looked to the woman, "I hope to... Live up to any expectations you have of me."

Lion

"A little old? Well, if you insist," Dani snorted out loud. She had the right look about her, she'd fit right in within this hellhole. Summers here weren't exactly as pleasant as one might expect, not quite like the warm bluffs of Folkvar. She would not be sunkissed here. With any luck, she wouldn't be wind burned either.

"Come along darling," Christine pulled Aveline away from her daughter that watched the pair of them leave and she tucked her daughter in law's arm in hers and carried her off down the hallway.  "I hope you understand that...truly, I had no expectations. I never quite expected my son to be married off. But, believe me, I think you'll fit right in, my dear. I want to welcome you."

She squeezed her hand and carted her right along, showing her the various nooks and crannies of Bellgrave Castle, from the dining rooms to the armory to the rookery at the very top.

"So what is your home like, dear? I suppose it is very different?" Christine inquired, coming back down the hall slowly, wanting to speak with her a bit longer.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Aveline wasn't sure if she liked Mercuxio's sister but the opinion was kept to herself. Instead she just smiled and nodded and tried to make sure her hair still looked nice. Mostly she just wanted to look nice for his mother. This was the woman she wanted to impress. This would be the woman that would be... Helping take care of children and... Things. The person to ask questions to when she didn't know what to do.

Never expected her son to be married off.

Well, that was good right?

How many women had he met before he finally settled on her? Aveline opened her mouth to ask but the words didn't come out. Instead she just smiled and nodded. No expectations. 

"It was... Old," She shrugged lightly, "Not as grand as this place. Mostly wind worn and... Stone." Aveline had never had to describe her home before, "I never realized how grey it looked there. I think the stable for the horses was almost as big as the house though," She chuckled, brightening at the mentioning of her beasts, "I bought a few here. They're... Officially part of my dowry but... They're mine," She glanced away before clearing her throat, "Perhaps your son's horse Titus will find a good match with one of my girls."

A slow glance to Christine and she smiled, "You have a wonderful son and... I hope to do you proud as his mother. My parents were happy to be rid of me. They're looking forward to messages of grand children," a lick of her lips and she glanced away, " Are you? Looking forward to our children?"