Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Adventurers Not Welcome (OPEN! PM To Join!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, June 24, 2017, 01:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

~Half a mile away~

Grumsham and Gramshum untied the note from the bird's leg with a level of dexterity not often seen in ogres. They read the hastily written note carefully.

Quote-magic swordsman
-illusionist
-bag of holding

They both knew what this meant, of course- the young master had found another batch of fools. The brothers had to hand it to the lad- when he had approached them with the offer, they had thought him insane. But sure enough, the nobleman had been able to supply a steady stream of adventurers for them to eat- as long as they handed over the magic items the poor heroes left behind.

Letting out a laugh that echoed throughout the forest, Grumsham and Gramshum began to strap on their plate mail.

Moccasin

Rosine looked up from the letters, before beckoning Hoss to her side. As she waited for the girl to join her, she waved at Rena, before climbing up the tree to greet her. "You don't need elf ears to hear that. Where'd it come from?" Rosine asked, before settling on a separate branch.

Wrathwyrm

Well, her efforts were reward, alright.  Rena looked over as Rosine landed nearby on another branch.  Could they all do that, or did Hoss need a rope?

"You mean that sinister double-laugh?  It was that way."

She pointed in the direction she felt was the epicenter of the laughs before jumping down.

"I think we're expected, or we were spotted.  Or..."

Well, there was always 'Tipped off about', but she wasn't gonna say it.  Let's just say that if it turned out to be true, she was going to have to lean extra hard for payment here.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Upon seeing her two companions in the tree, Hoss got excited. "Awesome! I wanna climb it too!" Reaching into her left thigh, she procured a grappling hook and threw into the tree- only for Rena to jump out of said tree a moment later. Hoss groaned. "Aw, what? C'mon guys, really?"

Pulling the grappling hook down from the tree, Hoss shoved it into her abdomen and followed Rena. "So, have you fought big monsters like this before? Any advice? I've, ah, only done it once."

Moccasin

Rosine hopped down from her branch, landing silently on the forest floor. She smirked at Hoss' comment, but said nothing, brushing off the dirt that had gathered on her gloves, before reaching into her cloak for her hand crossbows. She took a moment to inspect them, before tucking them into her belt. Her light magic should've been enough to sustain the group in case of an ambush, but she never really felt prepared without them.

[after Rena speaks]

After catching up with them, Rosine glanced between her fellow adventurers, before casting a translucent bubble around the group. It was a simple camouflage spell and would keep them out of sight for the time being.

Wrathwyrm

Rena looked over at Hoss and shrugged.

"I was only getting idea of where to go."

And now, they knew.  That double-laugh had been unmistakeable.  Only a two-headed being - or two really coordinated people - could laugh like that.  It was a good thing they did, because it gave them away.  Now, as they moved along, Hoss had a question.  It actually brought back memories, of a sort.  Not exactly good ones either.  Her brow kind of furrowed as she thought about it.

"There's like a couple times where I've had to do something.  Funnily enough, it was family-related.  Before I was born, dad had to put down an earth guardian, an ancient empowered golem that originally wielded our sword, Quake.  All our swords had their ownership changed or forged by blood, but Quake and two others were unearthed relics, originally.  So, this thing came out of the mines to claim the sword and my dad stopped it with the help of my grandfather.  Years later, I had to contend with the guardians of light and dark, who wanted Flash and Dusk back."

She sighed, shaking her head.  At this point, Rosine had caught up and cast her spell, protecting them from sight, apparently.  Rena gave this an appreciative nod before continuing.

"The other time, my uncle on my mother's side - who doesn't like me very much - wanted me to clear out a nest of wyverns.  What I can say about big opponents is that speed is key.  You're never gonna outmatch them on strength.  You have to get under or past their big smashy attacks, make the cut, and get back out of range as fast as you can.  Or, you have to inflict such a wound that their reflex flips you away - weapon and all - and you have to land well.  You can't work the two against each other, unfortunately, though.  Not since they're on the same body.  You may hear stories about arguing heads, but mostly they're coordinated and dangerous."

Ask a hydra, sometime, or a cerberus.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Hoss looked up at Rena in awe as she talked about her past. "That is so cool! Why does she seem so bummed out about it?" She crossed her arms. "She should be proud! I'd be proud if my family was that badass." Suddenly noticing Rosine approach, Hoss saw the assassin cast some sort of ward around them. "That's pretty neat-o!" she said enthusiastically.

Rena began talking again, this time about fighting large opponents. Hoss went red in the face, and looked at the ground. "I did the opposite of all of that. That's why I lost." An image of the dragon she had challenged flashed through her mind, which made Hoss angry. "She's still out there, and it's because I failed."

She shook her head. "I don't wanna think about that." Reaching into her abdomen, she grabbed a slice of pecan pie- her go to comfort food- and began to stuff her face with it. Looking at her companions, Hoss spoke with her mouth full. "You guys wan' any? I 'ave more."

Moccasin

"No, thanks. I had something earlier," Rosine replied, steadily eyeing the invisibility field. She took a moment to contemplate something, before glancing between her two companions. "Say, I found something suspicious in one of those letters I found. Something about missing persons. I-" Suddenly, a loud thumping could be heard in the distance, punctuated with the occasional orcish grunt. "We've got company." Rosine checked her gloves, before casting an invisibility spell on the adventurers.

Wrathwyrm

Well, Rena was kinda' bummed because she these moments hadn't really been jobs, but family concerns.  The guardians had come after them like a family curse.  And as for the wyvern net?  She'd been asked by her only surviving uncle, who did not like her because his sister was dead and he blamed Rena's father, Arden, for that.  So, it was a bit of a complication.  Rena blinked out of this thought as Hoss pulled out a pie from uhh...herself.  That was going to take some getting use to, clearly.  She shook her head at Hoss.

"No thanks.  Not in the mood for pie."

She preferred apple or cherry, anyway.  Rena turned give Rosine a questioning glance about the strange thing she'd found, but the two of them both heard some sounds that would frankly be a bit concerning.  Something with a bit of bulky mass on it was heard stomping around.  Rosine began to cast a full invisibility spell upon them all.  It's at this point that we should point out...that Rena can see the flow and use of magic.  As a result, she had a vague impression of where her colleagues were, in relation to her own position.  She herself had drawn out Spark, and was attempting to get around the position of whatever was approaching, keeping her eyes and her ears open.

Tags: