Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What's the story morning glory? (Alleaya)

Started by Tegan, July 05, 2017, 05:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tegan

John Faraday groaned and blinked his groggy eyes open. Above him the sun span bright beams through the thick green foliage and all around him birds were singing tuneful cheery songs that made his tender head hurt. He moaned again and tentatively sat up. Okay. Where the hell was he? There was a big blank space in his memory where 'last night' should have been, but that didn't surprise him really. The fact that he seemed to be in the jungle- now that was surprising...

It didn't take a great leap of the imagination for him to figure out that he was in the Sirantil jungle because he'd been skirting the tropic forest for the last few days collecting plants to dry for medicinal purposes.  Admittedly he'd drank at least three bottles of wine last night, but he figured that even wasted he'd have the good sense to stay by the camp and its precious supplies but alas. Here he was.

Desperately thirsty he reached into the battered leather satchel that was (my some miracle) still slung over his shoulder. No water, just a hip flask full of whisky. He swore to himself, fighting back a wave of nausea. Moving sluggishly he wracked his brain for the missing piece of the puzzle.  His fingers tightened around a small jar and he grit his teeth and pulled it out. The jar was empty save for a small scrap of paper. On it, in near illegible handwriting were scrawled the words 'I ate the mushrooms, sorry'.

The doctor let out an exasperated cry and lay back down in the thick, verdant grass. "what an idiot," he chastised himself. He'd been looking forward to a mind expanding trip into his psyche, but now, thanks to his weak-willed idiot of a drunk self, there was just a big blank space in his brain where there should have been memories of kaleidoscopic colours and conversations with nature... Plus now he was going to die of dehydration in the middle of a jungle. Bloody brilliant.

He blinked up at the word which occasionally spun dizzyingly above him. It occurred to him that all he needed to do was climb one of these trees, spot the position of the sun and then head east until he reached the edge of the jungle, but in his fragile state climbing a tall tree didn't sound all that appealing. Moving at all didn't sound that appealing, actually.

"Something just eat me already," He groaned into the assumed nothingness of the rain forest, pulling the hip flask from his bag and taking a long swig in the hope it might quench his thirst in some way. It did and it didn't...

DragonSong

[Just a quick FYI, there aren't jungles in Connlaoth ^.^]

Ally cursed silently as she stumbled over yet another rotting log. Her clawed feet kept slipping in the mud and her tail lashed in irritation. Just her luck she'd gotten stuck out in the rain storm last night, now she had to somehow find her way back to some form of civilization.

She didn't even really know where she was- well, a forest. That was obvious. But the rain had hit so suddenly, and the wind had blown her off course... she knew she was near the Connlaothian border, that was certain.

The dragon paused, tilting her head consideringly. Hm. Perhaps she should be more cautious...

A voice suddenly wove through the air to reach her, making her snort and jerk her head around. "Um...hello?" She winced. She probably shouldn't have called attention to herself.

Tegan

((ohh, thanks! not sure where I got that idea from XD ))

Faraday blinked up at the forest canopy, rubbing his temples with his thumbs in a half-hearted attempt to dull the throbbing there. He was thinking about giant spiders and wolves. About angry tree spirits and goblins and all manner of other hungry forest dwelling creatures that might suddenly appear out of nowhere and end his life if the hangover didn't kill him first.

Ordinarily the young doctor would not have moaned and whined like a little child, but he figured that no one was around to gauge his manliness so he groaned loudly and pitifully which seemed –if only psychologically- to lessen his suffering a little. As soon as he heard another voice echoing through the trees he regretted it and made an effort to pull himself together, sitting up quickly which made his head spin.

"uh- hello?" he echoed back to the mystery voice, absently running his fingers through his dark scruffy hair as if that might counter every other unpresentable aspect of his appearance. To be fair John Faraday looked scruffy on the best of days. Today he looked like he'd been dragged through a hedge backwards which wasn't too far from the truth.

"Hello?" He called again, his heart leaping at the potentiality of rescue. of course it could be a demon or some other monster trying to lure him into it's mouth... ah well. "Please, do you have water? I think I'm dying." he called out, his voice cracking appropriately in his dry throat. Okay, so the dying part was an obvious exaggeration but he was a light hearted man by nature and couldn't help himself. He got shakily to his feet with a (much quieter) groan and started heading for where he'd heard the voice coming from, wiping the sweat from his forehead on the sleeve of his blazer.

DragonSong

Dying?

What?

"Um..hang on." She moved toward the voice, cracking foliage loudly under her feet, then suddenly paused. "You, ah...excuse me, sir." She assumed the speaker was male based on his voice. "Where...are you, exactly? If you keep talking, I can find you."

Tegan

Now, talking was something he was usually very good at- too much so according to some people. He had a tendency to talk to himself- to mutter his thoughts out loud as he worked, but today his throat was sore and croaky. None the less he headed for the strange, thought presumably female voice, muttering things like 'uh, over here...' and 'I'm near uh... a really big tree..." He shook his head at the absurdity of the statement, "I mean a really big tree, and..."
Then he froze, listening intently to the world around him beyond the pounding of his head. something big was coming... "Crap, I think there's something else here too, something big..." he said, pinning himself against the 'really big tree' "Are you any good at fighting, by any chance?" he asked before realising that he was giving his position away to the creature by talking as well as the friendly voice so he shut up after that, a little surge of adrenaline and fear running through him as he waited, his back pressed against the bark.

DragonSong

Something big.

Whoo boy, was he in for a treat.

"Um, yeah... That's...probably nothing to worry about," Ally muttered as she followed the sound of the stranger's voice forward.

It never even occurred to her that approaching a stranger in the middle of the woods, alone, might not have been the smartest idea.

Ah, there he was. She caught sight of the figured pressed up against a tree trunk- at least her dragon form was useful for some things, like improved vision- and she snaked her head forward between two trees. "Ah. Hello."

Tags: