Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Draco)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, July 29, 2017, 05:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

It had been almost nine months since Gwendolyn had last waked the streets of Reajh. She'd finally been called back home after five consecutive missions, and Gwendolyn silently prayed that it would be the last time she was deployed. She was fully aware that it was a prayer that couldn't be answered- the war made that impossible. It was only a matter of time before she was needed again.

As Gwendolyn walked towards the church she called home, a young boy pointed at her from across the street. "Mommy look! It's her! It's really her!" Running across the street excitedly, he stopped directly in front of the armored woman. The boy looked up at Gwendolyn in awe. "Whoa... You have the big shield and everything!"

"Christopher!" the boy's mother cried out as she rushed after him. "Christopher, we do not point at strangers!" Upon reaching her son, the woman was able to get a better look at Gwendolyn. The color drained from her face. "You... you're really Ansgar's Shieldmaiden..." She grabbed her son's arm tightly "I-I am so sorry ma'am. My son, you're all he ever talks-"

Raising her hand gently, Gwendolyn cut the woman off. "It's perfectly alright." Kneeling down so she was at eye level with the boy, Gwendolyn smiled. "Your name is Christopher?"

Christopher nodded shyly. Meeting his hero like this was clearly very emotional for the boy, who could only manage to say "W-wanna be like you..." before freezing up.

Gwendolyn chuckled. "Well Christopher, if you want to be like me I'll need you to do two things- Always follow Ansgar's will, and never give up." She put her hand on the boy's shoulder. "Can you do that for me?"

Christopher nodded enthusiastically. "Y-yes ma'am!"

Gwendolyn beamed. "Perfect! I'm counting on you Christopher." Standing back up, she gave a polite nod to the boys mother before heading off in the direction of the church. Christopher watched her go, awestruck.

"She is so cool."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The church doors opened with a familiar *creak*, and Gwendolyn walked inside. The soft clinking noise her mail made as she walked echoed through the church, disturbing what had been a peaceful silence. That night's service had already ended, but there were still a few acolytes putting out candles and counting up the coins in the donation plate. A few of them looked up and nodded in her direction before going back to their duties. Gwendolyn took a deep breath and allowed herself to relax. "Home at last."

Finding her favorite pew- the one in the far back- Gwendolyn would set down her shield and kneel down to pray.

Draconian

The noises were familiar as ever.

Sunniva had returned from her own mission only a few weeks ago. Still weary from it, she slept early and woke late. Didn't smile anymore. Where once she could be found sitting in a wee garden by a tree, plucking notes on her guitar she hadn't been there since she'd returned. Sunniva was lethargic. She was tired and she was unhappy. Her horse was dead. She'd never see her friend again.

All she could do was pray.

Pray to feel normal again. Pray to feel Ansgar's holy light inside her once more.

Alas, it was for naught. Every time she prayed her mind wandered and she remembered the cruel man who'd tricked the town into believing he was a scion. Tricked the children into... Sunniva squeezed her hands harder together and pressed her forehead to them.

Back in her usual garb. Sunniva was a vision in white and gold. Her hood pulled low over her face to cover the unnerving hollows of her eyes. Her hair was tucked back in a tight braid. The robe clung tight and swept down, and was its self a vision. A tale behind her heritage outside the church. A Duke's Daughter. An Adhara. One of Ansgar's chosen maidens.

The voice was familar and Sunniva lifted her head quickly, turning it to see who was there. Of course she didn't see, the movement was a natural reaction but the voice registered and Sunniva offered a small smile.

"Welcome home, Gwen," Her voice was soft and she unclasped her hands before she stood up and sat back on the pew. Sunniva ducked her head down for a moment, "How are you?" There were questions. Did Gwendolyn come back home feeling so empty and insecure? Sunniva chewed on her lip and played with her finger tips. "Did you fare well? All your limbs?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

A familiar voice shook Gwendolyn from her prayers. Looking up momentarily, she saw one of her fellow knights, Sunniva, sitting in the pew across from her. Gwendolyn knew Sunniva of course, but not very well- she'd always been to busy for small talk. Apart from her blindness, Gwendolyn really knew nothing about the younger girl. This was a common occurrence- everybody knew who Gwendolyn was, but Gwendolyn didn't really know anybody else.

Gwendolyn smiled, although she knew the girl would be unable to see it. "Thank you." she said softly. "I'm well, but I'm not sure how long that will last- it's only a matter of time before I'm deployed again."

Noticing Sunniva seemed to be troubled, Gwendolyn gave her a compassionate look- once again reminding herself the girl wouldn't see it. "How have you been? It's been nearly a year since I've seen you."

Draconian

Sunniva couldn't see the smile but she could hear it.

A tilt of her head, face stoic. She turned towards Gwendolyn and took a slow breath, listening to the woman talk. How has she been? The fact she was stuck here for life was sinking it. Becoming a black hole in her mind with never ending thoughts of what she could have done. Where else she could have been. If she'd been born anywhere else would she still have eyes?

She picked at her nails, making a clicking sound while she thought. Make a joke? "It's been a while since I've seen you," She said gently a small smirk pulling at one side of her mouth, enjoying for the moment her own little joke. "I was sent on a mission," She said before she sighed and turned her head down and clasping her hands again in prayer.

"How do you... Get out of it?"  She asked softly, turning her head and making a face, "Or do you just... Never? I still dream about it. Every time I let my mind wander I remember..." Sunniva sighed and let her head fall forward, "I just want to pray. I want to be close to Ansgar again but I fear what I've done has pulled me farther away than ever and I have no way of getting back into his arms."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Gwendolyn was silent for a few moments. Finally she closed her eyes, exhaled, and opened them again. "No." she said, her gaze tired. "You never do." 

Gwendolyn looked down at the shield that was leaning against the pew. She rested her hand on it, allowing herself to relax. "I still have nightmares. Faith helps, but it never goes away completely." Looking towards the church alter, the woman's mouth quivered. "He... Has interesting ways of testing us."

Gwendolyn looked back at the younger woman, her mouth thin. "Was it your first?"

Tags: