Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Snow? This Time Of Year? (SDB!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, October 14, 2017, 04:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart went red in the face as Taiga shut down his idea. "Yeah, it was stupid." he said defeatedly. "I shouldn't have even asked."

"Eckhart, I swear to the goddess if start getting mopey now, I will just leave you to die." Belladonna snapped. "This is stressful enough without having to hear you bitch."

Eckhart went redder still. "S-sorry." he mumbled. "I'll just stop talking..."

Celegwen

"I don't need you bitching, cat," Taiga snapped. "Instead of ripping on him, come up with a way to convince someone to help. No one in their right mind is just going to jump in to save us."

She looked around, closing her eyes momentarily to listen and get an idea of their surroundings. Wasp was too close and gaining faster and faster. The only way they were going to even make it to the town before she caught them was to do something that drastically cut travel time.

"You better be fucking good at balancing," she said with a slightly skeptical look in her eye. Taiga tapped the outsides of her boots with her staff and jumped up, icy winds suddenly appearing beneath her and solidifying into thin sheets without any evidence of how. She pointed her staff forward, creating an invisible pathway to their destination. "She's gonna be able to see this, but we need a serious boost."

The girl grabbed Eckhart's hand without giving him time to react, then practically flew forward with him on the icy path behind her. She held onto his hand tightly, otherwise he would've simply crashed through the thin ice.

"Don't let go!" Taiga said over her shoulder. "If you let go, you're getting left behind. We'll reach the town in about half an hour."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart looked at the Taiga quizzically. "What does she mean bal-AAH!"

Taiga had grabbed his hand, and he was suddenly flying through the air on a thin sheet of ice. "Ah! What- what is this? What are you doing?"

Belladonna sighed, seemingly taking fact that she was now midair in stride. "Look, Taiga, I'm really sorry you got dragged into this. When we solve this, I'll make sure the boy pays you handsomely for helping us out."

"H-hey, don't be like that!" Eckhart stammered. "I never asked for any of this either!" He looked at Taiga apologetically. "I... I am sorry though... This is all my fault..."

Celegwen

Taiga shook her head with a huff. "I don't need your money," she said. "It doesn't matter whose fault it is, and placing blame isn't going to do us any good. I chose to step in, so anything that happens is on me, not either of you."

The speed boost Taiga had activated finally smoothed out. The beginning was always a little unsteady, but she got the hang of it. She looked at the sky ahead, seeing the town getting closer and closer.

"Save all the money for hiring a bodyguard or something," she said. "I don't care if you have to give every coin you own. We have to get her off our backs."

Wasp jogged along the road, suddenly seeing a new ice formation. She realized that the lack of subtlety meant they had switched to speed. "It's about time," she mumbled. "Run, bugs. Run." She kept at her steady jog, knowing that going faster could mean she wouldn't have the energy to deal with them in town.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"If you insist." Belladonna meowed. "Being selfless like that won't get you ahead in life, though."

"Oh, hush you." Eckhart snapped. "Nobody asked for your opinion." The boy shook his head angrily. "Sorry. It's- it's just that you aren't really helping either."

As the two began to pick up speed, Eckhart felt himself grow more comfortable with the rhythmic motion of his legs. It was certainly an odd way of travel, but it was something he could get used to. If he weren't in fear for his life, he may have even found it fun! "Um, Taiga?" Eckhart asked as he saw the town gates grow closer and closer. "How... Uh, how long did it take to pick this up? The flying, I mean." He smiled sheepishly. "It seems really advanced..."

"Oh Ansgar, I hope she doesn't think I meant that negatively..."

Celegwen

"Yeah," Taiga said to Belladonna. "I'm sorry for saving your ass!"

Eckhart snapped at the cat, and Taiga glanced at him in shock. She didn't think the young man was even capable of being assertive.

Her hold on him became less constricted as she noticed was getting more comfortable with the unusual method of transportation. The girl chuckled, thinking back to when she first learned the skill. "Well, I discovered it a little over a hundred years ago, but I finally mastered it about thirty years ago." Taiga glanced back at him, her eyes glowing slightly. "It takes a lot of energy, but it's pretty convenient when you need speed!"

Cutting a three hour trip down to a half hour is definitely a good boost, she thought. I just hope it's enough.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart gave Taiga a blank stare. "Ummm... I sorry, could you, uh, repeat that?"

"Why can't the people I meet ever be human? Is that too much to ask?"

Celegwen

Taiga grinned. She was used to all different reactions, but the ones who were just plain confused were her favorites.

"I've lived more times than I can count, kid. It's a bit complicated, and we don't have too much time, so I'll shorthand it for ya. I'm just as human as you are, but with certain advantages. Or disadvantages, depending on who you ask. I live and die, but then I come back with the same memories and same abilities. Like your soul is made of energy, mine is too. The difference is, mine is also made of ice."

She glanced back over her shoulder at Eckhart to make sure he was keeping up with her explanation.

"You need a better explanation, I'll be happy to deliver when we aren't running for our lives. Good?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Wait, so, she's immortal, kinda?" Eckhart thought, screwing up his face in confusion. "Um..."

"Oh, so you have a reincarnation cycle?" Belladonna asked, cutting him off. "That's interesting. How many times have you lived so far?"

"Souls are made of energy?" Eckhart said finally. "But I thought they were, like, metaphysical..."

Celegwen

Eckhart simply looked confused, so Taiga barely even addressed his question. "Yes, they're made of energy. That's not my specialty, so if you want a lesson on souls, find my brother on Thanatos."

She glanced at Belladonna, who had been quick enough to interrupt the boy before he started rambling.

"Reincarnation cycle's probably the best way to sum it up," she said. How many lives? Taiga thought. She hadn't been asked that in a very long time. Then again, she hadn't told anyone about her little...condition. It just slipped out that time, so she wasn't going to try to hide it. "I lost count after 1,926 times."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"What! But that means she's ancient!" Eckhart thought nervously. "I don't like this at all..."

"That many times, huh?" Belladonna said. "Lets see, if we were to round that up to two thousand, then multiply is by the average human lifespan..." The cat trailed off, evidently doing math in her head.

"Um, Taiga?" Eckhart said softly. "I thought you were from Hyoite... Why does your brother live on Thanatos?"

"One hundred thirty thousand years of life experience!" Belladonna said suddenly. "That's impressive!"

Celegwen

Taiga's brows knitted over her widened eyes. "Uh, yeah," she said to Belladonna's quick math. "Ya know, give or take."

It was a little uncomfortable for her to have all of those years suddenly brought to her, and she felt a chill run down her spine. Knowing that it was true was a little different than having someone plainly speak it.

"I have twelve brothers and sisters, all who live in different places," she said. "I'm from Hyoite, but my brother, Jack, is from Thanatos." She suddenly realized that it would make even less sense if they were from different places. "Kid, I'd need a little more time than we have to break this down for you. Basically, each of my brothers and sisters have power over an element. I'm ice, Jack is energy. There's earth, life, time, light. If you really want to know, hang around after we deal with this assassin."

His questions were practical, but the timing wasn't. Taiga didn't mind telling him about her family, but not while they were fleeing for their lives.

"Almost there. Have any idea who you're gonna turn to?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart stared wide eyed at the girl as confirmed how old she was. Then she said that her brother was from Thanatos as opposed to just living there, and the young healer had to take a break from thinking about it. "Sweet Ansgar, and I thought the Black-Hearths were complicated."

Taiga's change if topic was a welcome one. "Um..." Eckhart said nervously. "Well, I suppose taverns usually have spellswords, right?" The boy looked ahead at the town. "We may as well start there..."

Celegwen

With a short nod, Taiga pursed her lips. Guards would probably ask too many questions anyway. Then, Eckhart would get in trouble for stealing, and it would be a whole lot of unnecessary bullshit. Sellswords would be their best hope...maybe their only hope.

"If we're going with them, I'm sure as hell not entering town like this. Watch your step." She stopped the icy ramp, jumping off and pulling Eckhart with her. Taiga let go of his hand, landing on the ground with a slight stumble. She quickly got her balance, glancing at him. "Get your land legs back. My guess, we gained about an hour on her."

She smashed the end of the icy ramp with her staff, creating a wave-like effect as the ice shattered and fell to the ground.

"It'll take about five minutes to get into the city," she said. "Take a minute to get used to standing again, but we should get a jump on finding protection."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Taiga brought them in for a landing, shattering the ice behind them as she did so. Eckhart stumbled to the ground, nearly falling over.

"Come on Eckhart, get it together." chided Belladonna, who had landed on her feet gracefully. The cat jumped back onto his shoulder. "Lets get moving!"

"Alright, alright..." the boy said, sounding very tired. After a few more seconds of catching his breath, he began to jog towards the city gates. He looked at Taiga nervously. "So, um, in your..." Eckhart paused, trying to remember the number Belladonna had given them. "In your, ah, long time being alive, you must have learned all about mercenaries and stuff, right? How do I know if they're any good when I talk to them? Like, what should I keep an eye out for?"

Celegwen

"Learned about mercenaries?" Taiga laughed, keeping a steady pace with Eckhart. "Please, I was a merc. Quite a few times, now that I think about it."

She thought about her days as a mercenary, as well as all of the others she had met along her travels. It was difficult to know if you're paying for a good sword until you saw them in action.

"Alright. First thing you need to do is not look desperate. Any sellsword is going to spot desperation and take advantage of it immediately. And don't talk to the cat!" She shook her head, looking at Belladonna on Eckhart's shoulders.

"Avoid anyone gambling. They like chance, and we don't have time for games. Avoid anyone drinking. This assassin is sharp, so we need someone at their best. Also, a good merc will spend just as much time looking at you as they do looking around the building and at the nearest exit. They want to know everything around them."

I think that's it, she thought.

"Oh! Don't lie. They'll spot a liar instantly, and we can't afford to lose their help."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart reflected on what Taiga had just told him as he passed the town gates. "So I need to act like I'm not really in danger?"

Belladonna sighed. "Taiga, maybe you should do the talking. You clearly know what you're doing."

"Wait a minute..." Eckhart realized. "If Taiga's been a mercenary multiple times, then why can't she fight off the assassin?" His eyes narrowed. "Something's not adding up..."

A familiar sight broke Eckhart's train of thought. "Up ahead! That's the inn I stayed at! The innkeeper is nice, maybe he can point out somebody reliable!"

Celegwen

Taiga quickened her pace ever so slightly, trying to reach the inn. If Eckhart was right, he might have just saved their asses.

Wasp ran, pulling out another stone and charging it, less than the last one. She climbed to the top of a nearby building, crouching on the roof. A glimmer caught her eye, so she turned to see something shining in the sky. Aww, she thought, a smile growing on her lips. Moth let you borrow her boyfriend.

Eckhart's voice snapped her attention back to the task at hand. She rolled the stone between her fingers, silently following the sound of his voice. Wasp saw Eckhart and Taiga about to enter a little inn. She hurled the stone towards the building.

BOOM!

The building was blown to smithereens, throwing Eckhart and Taiga back. "What the shit?" Taiga shouted, jumping to her feet and immediately looking around.

Wasp wiggled her fingers from a slight distance. "Hello!" She said with a smirk. "You two are sorry excuses for prey, really. I'm getting bored!"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

In the span of a few seconds, everything went to shit.

The building exploded as soon as Eckhart laid his hand on the doorknob. The boy was thrown backwards, hitting the ground with a dull thud. Taiga swore loudly. Belladonna yowled in confusion. Townsfolk screamed in fear, hastily pushing each other out of the way as they ran for shelter.

None of this registered as Eckhart groggily pushed himself up. He could hear the assassin mocking them, but he couldn't focus. His body felt immensely hot and sticky, and looking down Eckhart could see a large chunk of the door had lodged itself into his side. He looked at the blood soaking through his jacket numbly.

"This... this is it, isn't it?"

Celegwen

She's beyond insane, Taiga thought, listening to the assassin speak. She looked at Eckhart and Belladonna, losing her breath when she saw a large piece of door jutting out of the boy's side.

Taking a step towards Eckhart, the girl heard Wasp's snappy voice. "Did I tell you to move?" Her tone was of pure disbelief that someone would dare do something without her permission. "Stay the fuck where you are until told otherwise."

"If you're going to kill us, do it!" Taiga said, looking again at Eckhart, then back at Wasp.

"Oh, I will," she hissed. "Soon." The assassin held up her open hand. "Five."

Taiga quickly crouched next to Eckhart to see the blood oozing from his side. "I'm so sorry," she said breathlessly.

"Four." She brought one finger in.

"I need you to work with me, okay? You have to get out of here."

"Three."

She pursed her lips, turning to Belladonna. "I'm gonna try to hold her off, but you guys have to make good time. I don't know how long I'm going to last." Taiga regretted using her power recklessly to speed their travel because she needed it more now and didn't have it.

"Two."

Taiga bit her lip, standing to face the assassin with a slight feeling of desperation in her heart.

"One."

She gave Eckhart her staff to use for support. "Run."

Tags: