Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Two Magicians

Started by DragonSong, March 05, 2018, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Camrie

The road was always lonely, even when you weren't actually travelling alone. Illiana sighed tiredly as she continued shuffling her way through the dirt that was steadily turning to sand as she started to enter the desert proper, the sun already a punishing force as it beat down on her.

Just beside and a little behind her, Nyrin growled low in his throat and raised his head with an angry squint toward the sun. It is too hot. And it is only going to get hotter.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Bitching about it won't make it any cooler," Illiana snipped back, then instantly felt guilty and shot her companion an apologetic look. "Sorry. I'm just tired."

The massive feline nosed her shoulder in acceptance of her apology as they plodded on. After a few more moments of quiet, Illiana sighed again and suddenly straightened her shoulders, lifting her chin.

"A lady sits at her own front door, straight as a willow wand,
when by there came a lusty smith with a hammer in his hand.
"

Nyrin gave her an odd look when she glanced at him expectantly, then sighed, rolled his eyes, and continued the song in her head. Why do you sit there, lady fair, all in your robes of red?

She joined in on the next line: "Tomorrow come at this same hour I'll have you in my bed."

"Fie, lady, fie!
There's no where you can hide,
for the lusty smith will be your love,
and he will claim your pride.
"

[OOC: They're singing this song!]

Camrie

The sands seemed almost to caress his paws as he entered the famed desert, eyes darting to and fro with an adventurer's curiosity. Though in his animal forms, his mandatory jet black pelt was not the most apt for a sweltering setting, he was using his abilities in order to lay a thin veneer of shadows over his back, consuming the majority of the sunlight that fell upon him and regulating his temperature effectively. This created an odd, eery effect on the large black warg, forming wispy tendrils, almost like the massive canine creature was trailing smoke behind him. Despite this monstrous appearance, his eyes were quite human, taking in the sight of the sun on the bright sands with relish. It was quite beautiful, in a barbaric sort of sense.

Atop his hunched shoulders, the mischevious little phouka, Mythranys, reclined lazily, smug in the fact that he could not feel any strain from the heat of the bright orb, being formed of shadowfyre. His cheshire grin was firmly in place, large, staring eyes shut contentedly. A strange, almost purrlike sound rose from the small fae, fluttering his petite dragonfly wings.
Cade, who had transformed into this form in exchange for speed of travel, felt a rumbling chuckle escape his beastly throat, wolfish face grinning as he padded over the dunes. Glittering violet-red gaze shot to every facet of the empty elegance that was the desert, ears perked and excited.
"Clearly this was worth the trek! Imagine if we discovered ruins-"
Myth, snorting derisively, cut him off in his rasping voice that sounded similar to a cat's yowl no matter what he said.
"I see sand, sand, and look- more sand! I've always known you had a lump between your ears, but this, I swear!"

Ignoring the surly creature, Cade laughed and picked up the pace, cresting a large dune and sliding down it's smooth face, sand tumbling in waves from his disturbance as he childishly surfed the smooth granules to the bottom, shaking off loose bits from his coat with abandon. It was not often the noble than allowed his polite facade to wear away like this, but these were special circumstances.

It was then that his canine hearing caught the tones of a merry song, sung brazenly, as if someone silent were supposed to join in, but hadn't, leaving the other to go without. Curiousity spiking, he raced after the sound, dismissing Myth's protests like bothersome gnats. He approached slowly, eyes catching the shape of a woman... And something quite large behind her. Startled, but intrigued, the once-prince inched closer, listening to the tune and realizing that he knew it. Knew it from olden days in the tavern of his kingdom...

Feeling a little mischevious and itching for company, he let his accented voice, deepened from transformation, roll over to the pair.
"Away, away, you coal black Smith!
Would you do me this wrong?
For you think to have my maidenhead that I have kept so long.
I'd rather I was dead and cold, my body in the grave,
Than a lusty, dusty coal black smith
My maidenhead should have!"

"Crying, fie, lady, fie!
There's nowhere you can hide!
For this lusty Smith will be your love
And he will lay your pride!"

DragonSong

As she was opening her mouth to sing the next verse Illiana's voice caught in her throat and her eyes widened. What-? who-?

Nyrin growled, twisting and sinking into a protective crouch, wings fanning out to the sides to make him look bigger as they both whirled toward the new voice.

"Stars above!" The bard's eyes widened and she was instantly reaching for the knife strapped to her hip. Then she forced herself to pause, to think. Inhuman and...well, intimidating as the creature seemed, it had been...singing. "Easy, Nyrin," she murmured as she ducked under her companion's wing to stand beside him.

Raising her voice slightly, still ready to fight or flee at a moment's notice, she continued the song:

"So that lady she took out her wand,
held it in high in hand,
and she became a pure white cloud, sayin'
Catch me if you can!
"

Camrie

Cade felt a twinge of remorse for startling the duo; when the majestic cat-creature turned, fanning glorious wings in defense of himself and his companion, he made no reaction. He wished not to make the beast think he meant any harm. Myth puffed himself up in response to the cat, however, form flickering with shadowy smoke as he hissed quietly in Cade's ear,
"You stupid lunkhead!"
Unperturbed by the insult, he looked at the woman unthreateningly, body loose and without defensive stature. She had a gorgeous countenance, with curly hair and smooth, dark skin that had him marveling. He suddenly regretted nothing, for it had allowed him to lay eyes on such a girl. She had reached for her hip, presumably for a weapon, but now seemed unsure. At a crossroads. She spoke softly to her cat beast, moving to stand at equals with the feline.

She seemed to make a choice, then, and began the next verse of the song, voice beautiful and experienced. A performer, perhaps?

Cade cocked his head, violet eyes keen and intent, fathomless in their stare. Making a choice of his own, he took one slow step with a massive paw, and in a fluid, smooth transition, allowed the transformation to fall away in puffs of shadow; from the flurry of inky smoke, a tall humanoid figure rose, brushing off his renegade coat and fixing the strap of the obsidian sword slung across his back. Mythranys now perched on his shoulder, little wings buzzing as his master revealed his true form, sending the shadows away until it was simply him and his familiar standing before the impressive pair ahead. He was nearly eight feet in height, though his bearing was polite.

His gaze, still magnetic, softened into something reassuring, and he shrugged apologetically, a husky voice releasing, less deep now that he was in his normal form.
"The blacksmith shook his hammer,
and it turned into a magic stick-
he changed into a lightning bolt to zap into her quick!"

The last line, already suggestive in the song, was delivered with a grin, though his stance remained still and politely reserved, hands up to show the cat they were empty.

DragonSong

Illiana's eyes widened- if possible- even further, and she felt Nyrin tense beside her as the creature shifted forms. But she couldn't really sense any ill will from him, and he was friendly enough to play along with the little game she'd made of the song.

Her lips curved up in a cautious smile and she reached back to grasp her stylized lute, holding it expertly before her and tossing her hair back with a bit of a professional, dramatic flourish. Nyrin rumbled, but didn't make a real protest, shifting his stance to curve around behind her a bit.

"So the lady she became a mare, as dark as the night is black..."

She looked up to the stranger expectantly, gilded eyes shimmering with a kind of elfin playfulness she hadn't felt much of since leaving home.

Tags: