Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All that Glitters

Started by DragonSong, June 22, 2018, 01:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Paladienne

"Oh they never come, never come, never come
Oh they never come sailing home again...
"

The voice echoed hauntingly off the damp, rocky walls of the cave and out toward the wider ocean beyond, rebounding and magnifying out over the calm swells. It was approaching nightfall, and at the mouth of the cave the singing could just barely make out the reflection of the first few stars brave enough to begin shining just as the sun set.

"When the waves call from the horizon
And lead you all away
Take care, remember my son,
Please come sailing home again.
"

Morgana leaned back against the rocky outcrop where she rested, her tail flicking lightly back and forth through the water in front of her. One hand stroked the amulet at her throat while the other fished absently through the stack of bedraggled, soaked clothing and assorted knicknacks she scavenged from that recent wreck.

Hmm... Seemed there was nothing all that interesting except the amulet. Well, and the sailor she'd found. A little gamy, but filling enough. The siren sighed and tossed her head, snow hair hair cascading out over the surface of the water.

Still singing softly, she lifted the amulet up from her chest to let it twist and turn in the air in front of her face, eyes narrowed as she examined it. It was old, that much was obvious. Possibly enchanted, as despite the very slight wear and tear around the edges of the enamel, the metal itself and gemstones set around the center were as pristine as though it had just been smelted.

Well, it was pretty enough. She'd keep it for a while.

"Let the stars guide you 'cross the water,
Now matter how the winds may bend
When you reach that distant harbor
Please come sailing home again.
"

Paladienne

"You're going to get yourself into a lot of trouble one day. What will you do when your wit and charm no longer allow you to escape certain death?"

"Then I guess I'll have to rely on my roguish good looks, the swiftness of my hand, and the sharpness of my blade."

"You and your smart tongue. You ought to be wary of it, my son, for it may lead you somewhere you can't return from."

Kasim opened his eyes as his mother's voice faded from his ears. The memory was still fresh in his mind, from when he and his crew had put into shore not too long ago to get some well-deserved rest and relaxation. He had gone, as he always did when he was nearby, to visit his mother and regale her with his latest adventure, as she used to do for him when he was much smaller. He wished he could tell her that she had been right, at least in part - his smart tongue had indeed gotten him into a somewhat inescapable situation, not two weeks after he and his crew had left port for the open seas to return to their life of pirating.

One of the ships they'd come across - and had subsequently relieved of their cargo and other valuables - had been carrying a rather interesting individual who had upon their person a rather interesting map. And in order to have the map, Kasim had promised the man a place on his ship until such time as the treasure was found. And in order to get the man off his ship after the treasure was found, he'd promised the man a cut of said treasure. His crew had looked at him like he was insane, and maybe he was, but after a bit of grumbling and making rather lewd gestures, they came around and were set to follow him to whatever end.

Kasim let his hands leave the helm and he plucked the map from the waistband of his pants and unfurled the parchment. The markings on the map were clear enough, and he'd already translated the first clue. Even now, they were on their way toward the indicated island, or at least what Kasim believed to be an island. There, he was certain he would find the next step. But if, for some reason, he didn't, it would be a severe disappointment to all, especially to him and his crew, for the sole reason that they wouldn't be able to get rid of their "guest" without resorting to drastic means, and possibly sharks.

Kasim lifted his eyes from the map and considered that for a moment.

No, definitely sharks.

He rolled up the map and returned it to his waistband, and returned his hands to the helm. Well, he'd figure it out soon enough. Where was the fun in an adventure if everything happened too quickly?

The soft sigh of the wind filled the sails for a moment, and filled his ears with the sound of an ethereal voice, alluring and sensual. Kasim blinked, tightening his hands on the helm until the wood cut into his skin. Oh, he knew the legends well enough, and he would be a fool to go chasing that particular one. But...

But he'd also never really seen that legend up close and personal.

And it was on the way...

Kasim spun the helm and steadily changed course, following the sound of that voice.

DragonSong

The familiar creak and groan of a wooden hull caught the siren's attention, snapping her out of her bored reverie.

Hmmm... Well, she had just eaten. But where was the harm in stocking up a little?

Smiling slightly to herself, sharp canines flashing, Morgana let the amulet drop back against her breast and slipped fully into the water, drifting near the surface several yards back from the mouth of the cave.

The space wasn't large enough for an entire ship to fit through the entrance, but a rowboat or two would do so just fine. As long as her song was convincing enough to lure a curious soul toward her.

Tilting her head slightly to the side, she let her tail swirl gently through the water below her, keeping her bobbing just at the surface, and began to sing again. This time it was no known song, no ballad or shanty, just a wordless, haunting melody that rose and fell and echoed off the stony walls around her, curling out over the open ocean like a warm, comforting breeze.

Paladienne

Kasim smiled as he heard the song begin again. And he wasn't the only one who heard this time, his crew emerging onto the deck to try and figure out the sound's origin. And then, all eyes turned to him, as if they knew what he intended to do and why he was sailing toward the voice rather than away.

"Sirens are dangerous business, captain." said one man, his weathered face betraying the fact that he was being affected by the song and only just barely holding onto his own will.

"They are if you don't know how to handle them." Kasim answered. "Just plug your ears and don't worry about me."

They plugged their ears with bits of cloth, but they kept sneaking glances at him, not worried about his person, but more about his sanity.

Kasim had his crew drop anchor just beyond the large cave that loomed in the growing darkness ahead of him. It was with a smile that he listened to them complain about his adventurousness, but since they were helping prepare for the side trip, the complaining was half-hearted at best. They were too used to him doing things like this, especially for reasons known only to him.

As he lowered the small dingy into the water, he called up to the crew, "I won't be gone long. Just make sure she's ready to sail when I get back, and let's make sure our guest stays put."

He received the affirmative and then the tiny craft was touching the waves, and Kasim released the ropes attaching the dingy to the larger ship. Then, he picked up the oars and began to row himself toward the cave, following the sound of that ethereal voice.

DragonSong

A single rowboat, and it looked like just the one sailor.

That'd do.

Morgana smiled slightly to herself and kept singing, waiting until the sailor in the dingy could catch a glimpse of silver hair and rippling black scales before she ducked beneath the water abruptly.

She swam a little closer to the boat and surfaced once again, tilting her head slightly to the side as she looked the man up and down curiously. She was still humming gently, eyes almost glittering in the light that reflected off the surface of the water.

Then she was gone, disappearing beneath the swell again. When she surfaced a second time, she was further away, deeper into the cave. She giggled, the sound chiming and musical, echoing off the walls of the cave. One webbed hand reached toward him, beckoning, a playful smirk tugging at her lips.

Inviting him to play.

Paladienne

Kasim spotted the movement out of the corner of his eye, but when he looked, he was alone. Despite himself, a smile spread across his face. So, it was going to be a game of cat and mouse, was it? He continued to row the little boat toward the cave, seemingly entranced by the sound of the song and then, when he finally spotted her, her beauty. He continued following after her, studying her glittering eyes and her scaled tail and that webbed hand she held out to him.

His eyes focused on her face, seeing that playful smirk and offering her one of his own. He stopped rowing for just a moment, allowing the waves to carry him further into the cave and closer to her. Kasim had never seen one of her kind up close before, and he was wondering how far he could actually go before he needed to put a stop to whatever design she had for him.

For he wasn't as entranced as he was pretending to be. He wasn't as taken with her as he was pretending to be. Yes, she was beautiful, and beautiful in an exotic sort of way, but Kasim had seen exotic beauty, and he had had his scrapes with enchantresses. The entire reason he was doing this was just to be able to say he had. Yet, he didn't want to hurt her if he could keep from it.

Kasim was willing to play for as long as she wanted to play. And he started to row again, once again chasing her.

DragonSong

Morgana waited a few moments, until the boat was far enough into the cave that she was reasonably sure he wouldn't be able to get back out-- not before she could catch him.

But she didn't want to, not yet. She'd just eaten, after all, and sometimes the game was more fun than the hunt.

She laughed again, surfacing just feet from the little dingy. She bobbed easily in the water, head and shoulders above the water, her tail a glimmering shadow that flickered beneath her. "Hello." Her voice, even when simply speaking, was musical, with a thick accent unlike anything on land.

Paladienne

Kasim pulled the oars into the little boat and leaned forward at her appearance, his lips splitting into a wide grin. Certainly, he was fascinated by her, and it was so much more than her beauty. He was honestly captivated by her voice, for he'd heard nothing like it, but he wasn't as enchanted as he was seeming to be. He folded his arms across his knees and leaned toward her, leaving just enough distance between them that he could defend himself. But, to the untrained eye, it seemed as if he was only hesitating on the idea of getting close to her. After all, they were strangers to each other, and she was a strange being to him.

"Hello," he replied, grinning even wider. "What's such a pretty girl doing in a dismal place like this?"

DragonSong

"Dismal?" She smiled again, tilting her head the other way. "Perhaps you just haven't seen what it has to offer," she giggled, tossing her hair through the water. "Come."

She held her hand out again, backpedaling slightly toward a rocky outcropping that jutted from the cave wall.

Paladienne

"Perhaps I haven't." Kasim replied, moving to slide the oars back into the water and follow her deeper into the cave. He was ready for whatever she had planned for him, or so he hoped, but he was rather enjoying the little game of cat and mouse they were playing. "I'm certain there's quite a bit of treasure in this cave."

DragonSong

"Well, that may depend on how you see treasure." Her smile turned a little softer at the edges, eyes falling half closed as she beckoned him forward again.

Reaching the outcropping, she gracefully pulled herself up, half out of the water. Her tail flicked gently back and forth as she tilted her head again, a silver curtain of hair tumbling around her shoulders.

"Not many of your kind would venture forth so boldly," she commented, leaning back on one arm as she watched him through half-lidded eyes.

Paladienne

Kasim watched from the boat as she hauled herself up onto the outcropping, giving an appreciative whistle of her form. She was exquisitely beautiful, just as the legends and stories all described her kind to be. Yet beauty could easily hide poison, and Kasim was fully aware that she was quite dangerous. He wouldn't have ventured this far in if he wasn't prepared for the worst. It was kind of his motto - expect the best, prepare for the worst - and it had seen him, his crew, and his ship through worse scrapes than this.

He guided the boat up to the outcropping and tossed out the mooring rope, hopping out a second later to secure the boat to the outcropping so it wouldn't float away. The entire time his hands worked to secure the slipknot, his eyes were on her, starting from her hair and slowly traveling down to the tip of her tail. He wasn't shy in the least bit about oggling her, studying her form as he might study a piece of art.

"Oh, I see treasure everywhere." His eyes traveled from her tail up her body again, until he met her eyes. He rose then, and stood with his hands braced on his hips. "I mean, take you for example. Quite a rare and beautiful creature, all alone in this cave? It's little wonder someone hasn't gotten here before me and captured the treasure I see before me for his own."

He took a step closer to her, grinning widely. "And I'm not like anyone else. Only men who know what they want, and dare to do the impossible to get it, venture forth boldly."

DragonSong

Morgana was hardly some naive waif, and his obvious gaze brought a just slightly self satisfied smirk playing to her lips. She tossed her hair again, tilting her head to the side in a way that artfully drew attention to the gentle arc of her body, silver hair cascading down over her shoulder.

"And what makes you think such a treasure can be captured, bold one?" she asked softly, dark eyes glinting like moonlight off deep waters.

Paladienne

He studied the line of her hair as it settled against her shoulder, his eyes shamelessly roaming her body before he returned his gaze to her eyes. He caught that glinting look in her eyes, and felt vaguely satisfied that he knew enough to keep his distance from her.

"Anything can be bought for a price, yes?" he asked, holding up his hands as if in surrender. "Not that I'm saying you can be bought. Only a fool would try to capture such a treasure as yourself. Something as exquisite as you is meant to be free, to live as she pleases. Wouldn't you agree?"

DragonSong

"I believe I would." She smiled, revealing just the barest flash of razor sharp canines. "But that begs the question-- why did you come? You can see there is no treasure here, none of the metallic kind humans seem to so adore, at any rate."

The siren flicked her tail gently, arcing droplets of water up in a graceful crescent. "I am not sure there is much here to claim your attention...save myself." Her smile turned suddenly sad and she looked away. "Though I suppose that will not last long. It never does."

Paladienne

Kasim's smile faltered at the sight of the sadness on the pretty creature's face. He knew better than to get close, but he took a step closer anyway, crouching down near her and balancing on the balls of his feet. He tilted his head slightly so he could gaze upon her face, his expression serious.

"Well," he began, his tone kind but firm, "I've never seen one of your kind up close before. I know the legends and the stories - the old men love to bandy them about when they get drunk - but I've never had first-hand experience. So, I came because I wanted to see you for myself."

He grinned then, rocking back onto his heels for a moment before he once again balanced upon the balls of his feet. "Besides, I see a perfect treasure here before me. Gold and jewels are nice, but they're fleeting. They're meant to be spent, not kept. Real treasures are the things that are forever." He winked at her then, his grin growing wider. "Real treasures aren't 'things', anyway."

DragonSong

"Is that so?" Morgana leaned toward him slightly, her body language open and swaying gently, as though she was almost unable to help herself. Her dark eyes glittered with a sudden curiosity.

"What exactly have you heard about my sisters?" she asked softly, leaning toward him just a bit more. Her hair swung forward over her shoulders, tails swirling through the water in lazy circles. A glint of light from the setting sun caught on her scales and traced a shimmering line up the length of her body-- revealing that even the pale flesh tone of her upper body even seemed to be scaled, glinting silver and gold for the briefest instant in the flash of light.

Paladienne

Kasim grinned widely, enjoying the way she was moving toward him, especially since she seemed to glitter even more when the sun hit her just right. Certainly, he'd never seen anything like her before. He was completely fascinated, even though he knew that she was dangerous. After all, myths existed for a reason, and most of those reasons came from the experience of people that had lived them.

"That's certainly so," Kasim replied. "Real treasures are the memories you make upon an adventure, or the friends you make, or the family you find. Those things make life worth living. And as for your sisters... well, there are lots of stories to tell, aren't there? Singing men right off their ships and into the waters to drown. Or luring them close just to have them smash upon hidden reefs. Or eating their innards while they're still alive."

He tilted his head to the side, his grin becoming a smile. "But they were weak-minded men who only wanted one thing, and they got what they deserved, didn't they?"

DragonSong

Hmmm...

Morgana smiled again, the darkness of her eyes seeming to deepen just slightly. "Are there no happy stories of my kind then? Are we merely pretty sharks to you humans?"

One webbed hand slid carefully toward him over the rocks, as though she wanted to reach out but was making an effort to restrain herself for his comfort.

Paladienne

Kasim rocked back on his heels at her question, a pondering look overcoming his face. He tilted his head to the side, his eyes moving off her for the briefest of moments before returning. "Happy stories? Not that I recall. Pretty much all doom and gloom. Although, considering your reputation, there's a very legitimate reason why there might not be happy stories."

His gaze dropped to her hand where it was moving toward him, hesitantly and unsure. For a moment, Kasim actually considered reaching out himself, to touch her and feel if her skin was indeed scaly, or if it was as soft as his own flesh. But he reminded himself how dangerous that was. Already he was pushing his luck by being this close to her. He was ready to spring into movement at the slightest hint of danger. He hadn't forgotten what she was, nor had he forgotten that he was there to learn and not there to be eaten.

"To most humans, you might be pretty sharks. Dangerous creatures to be avoided at all costs, lest someone might lose their life." Kasim shrugged. "But to this human? This human only sees a beautiful creature. An intelligent and eloquent woman who seems to know what she wants and knows how to get it. I don't think you're a pretty shark." He winked at her then. "But that doesn't mean I'm an idiot."