Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just a Business Transaction [M]

Started by DragonSong, June 23, 2018, 06:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Lina had always been rather a restless sleeper. Not necessarily because she had nightmares, or she was uncomfortable, or anything of the kind. She just...spread out, in her sleep.

So when she woke, she fuzzily realized she’d somehow managed to flip herself crosswise along the bed, nearly shoving Niran to the floor, her head tucked into his side, legs sprawled diagnonally toward the far corner of the bed.

With a yawn and a soft groan, she struggled to push herself up, blinking sleepily, chestnut hair a wild may around her head.

Juno

By morning there was a crick in his neck, head lolled off the pillow and the bed entirely to dangle over the edge. Niran was perched so precariously, one ankle resting on the floor to just barely keep him from falling entirely as he clutched the blanket to him.

It was a little disorienting to open his eyes and see the floor quite close to his face instead of the ceiling far above as he was used to. Worse, everything felt just a little bit off, the familiar room seeming not quite as familiar waking up on the lesser-used side of the bed. Lina's movement beside him roused him enough to try lifting his head. Ow.

Niran hissed softly, sitting up slowly as he looked down at them in confusion just trying to figure out how in the world they'd managed it in a dead sleep. Rather, how had Lina twisted herself so spectacularly? 

Rubbing at his sore neck the half-elf offered her a confused but kind smile for her disheveled state. "Morning... Slay a beast last night?" he teased lightly, clambering back up onto the bed as best he could and trying for a bit of a stretch, though he stopped short with a wince as he hit a sore spot in his back.

DragonSong

Her cheeks immediately flushed and she smiled sheepishly, quickly scooting back to give him more room on the bed. "Sorry," she murmured with a guilty wince. "That can't have been comfortable-- are you alright?"

Juno

"Hm? Oh, I'm fi- Well...a little stiff," Niran admitted with a chuckle that had him wincing again as he turned to look at her. He used the extra space on the bed to recenter himself, rubbing a bit at his neck with an embarrassed smile.

"Did you sleep all right?" he asked, discreetly allowing his eyes to sweep over her.

DragonSong

"Very well, actually." Her smile was a little guilty, and ducked her eyes again. "Though I suppose it's rather my fault if you didn't. Really, I'm sorry, I should've warned you I can be...restless."

Juno

"I slept pretty well actually, no need to apologize," he tried to assure her, reaching out to give her shoulder a gentle squeeze. "No harm done, really."

Niran let his hand slide down along her arm, feeling a little awkward and an apology on the tip of his tongue for having touched her. He swallowed it down, though, offering her a little half-smile instead as he reached up to finger comb his hair a bit and push it back behind his ears.

It was their first morning as a couple and somehow despite his past experiences he felt entirely out of his element waking up next to a woman now. That woman was his wife and he wanted nothing more than to leave her with good impressions. It left the nobleman more tense than ever and suddenly wondering with a rather troubled look working its way onto his face how in the world his siblings had managed to navigate such a thing and come out on the other side in wedded bliss.

That did nothing to help his neck, a spike of pain and a small grimace for it reminding him he needed to relax. "Would you like a drink, Lina?" he blurted out, already kicking himself for his lack of poise. "Just, I'm going to get water so...if you wanted some too?"

DragonSong

"That, ah, that would be very nice, thank you." She smiled again. "I'd offer to go with you to fetch something, but honestly..."

Lina paused, then gestured to her disheveled state and laughed softly. "I'm not sure if I want to traumatize my new in-laws with...all this quite so soon."

Juno

Niran flashed a genuine smile of understanding as his eyes swept over her again. He didn't mind the way she looked at all, but he knew well that his siblings and especially his parents held standards that were a good deal more proper than his own. It was probably wise of her to avoid such a precarious position for herself, they would think nothing of Niran being out and about as he was.

"That's quite all right. It was my offer anyway, I'll only be a few minutes," he assured her, features relaxing into a smirk and eyes glinting in mirth as he moved to stand and stretch. Again the crick through his neck and back had him stopping short with a small wince, but he shuffled away to exit the room.

After much fussing from the house servants that they should be allowed to bring it for him and his bride Niran returned several minutes later with two goblets. He'd already half-drunk his own on his way back up the stairs but he presented the other proudly to Lina once he was perched to sit on the edge of the bed. "How are you feeling? Is it strange for you to be here? Still...overwhelming?" he ventured.

DragonSong

She didn't have much time to look around, so she decided not to risk it, simply taming her hair slightly and adjusting her nightdress as she waited for Niran to return.

And he returned even soon than she'd thought. She'd expected him to have to mingle with whatever members of the household were awake-- well, perhaps he had and it simply hadn't taken him very long. "Oh, I'm...alright."

She smiled and accepted the cup with a murmured thanks. "To be honest I think it may take me a few days to adjust, but I'm-- I'm alright. Really."

Juno

Niran sipped at his water, smiling easily for her assumed honesty. "That's all right. I definitely think it's a lot to take in, a lot of change," he agreed. "It'll probably be easier with less formality anyway. Not all the attention on us now." Of course he already knew his family was quite eager to bring his wife into the fold.

"I'm sure Mila and Petra will want to steal you away from me as soon as they see you." He chuckled then winced at that, feeling a little bad that she would likely have little choice if his sister and step-sister got their claws into Lina. "I know they want you to meet my- our nephews and nieces. In their defense, they're lovely children." Perhaps she wouldn't take his word at that, though, much as he loved the youngest members of their family and their colorful, purehearted emotions.

"Tomorrow... Well maybe the day after tomorrow if I can delay it- I'll need to do a bit of work, make some visits along the river. You're welcome to stay here if you're more comfortable with them, it might get a bit boring for you if you came along. There isn't much for a lady to do to keep busy out there, but if you'd like to see where everything happens and meet more of our staff you'd be more than welcome to join me."

DragonSong

"Oh-- I'd love to come along, if you'd have me." She smiled a little shyly, sipping at her own water. "I should start learning how things work around here, shouldn't I?"

Juno

He was a little taken aback by her answer, eyebrows raising in surprise as he studied her curiously for a moment.

"You can but you certainly don't have to. I would gladly have you with me if you'd really like to, though. Just...there's no obligation. I don't have any expectations for my wife to share in my interests," Niran explained apprehensively, feeling a bit like a jerk for even pointing that out. It sounded wrong and pretentious to his ears even though he hadn't meant it that way at all.

A little flustered, the noble lowered his eyes and sipped at his water a bit more. She'd already said she'd love to. Wasn't that reason enough?

"I'll certainly have you, Lina. I just hope you aren't too bored away from all the...liveliness here. If you are we can always send you home. Here home, I mean."

DragonSong

"Oh no!" She hurried to perch on the edge of the bed, looking up at him with a bright smile. "Truthfully I'd be delighted to get away from all the hustle and bustle for a while. If you truly don't mind me coming along, I mean." She bit her lip, a little nervous again, and shuffled her feet beneath her body.

Juno

Niran's eyes widened subtly in surprise, the tension through his face receding a bit as he offered her a warm smile in return. He didn't imagine a young woman from a good family might always find it preferable, but he was pleased her offer seemed quite genuine. Perhaps she was only making an effort to get to know him better, but even then he couldn't think of any downsides to her agreement.

His eyes sparkled with mirth once he'd finally relaxed enough to notice how nervous she looked. Had he done that? "How could I say no to that face?"

Lips turning up in a brief, mischievous smirk Niran reached his free hand out to gently pat the top of her head. After a moment he let his hand fall away with a nervous chuckle. He wanted to be careful, there was no sense in upsetting her or making her uncomfortable when there was already so much change going on in her life, or so he assumed.

"Of course I don't mind," he offered gently, a faint pink warming his cheeks as he continued, "I'd be very happy to have my wife accompany me, so... I guess that's settled then?"

DragonSong

Lina started slightly, glancing up at him with wide eyes. She almost asked, "What face?" then quickly thought better of it. No sense in playing into the doe-eyes too much, not yet at least. Perhaps wait until he was a bit more on the hook for that.

His touch was a bit surprising, but not necessarily unwelcome. She blinked up at him as his hand dropped away. He was...blushing?

Odd sort of toff. She smiled and nodded. "I suppose it is." She glanced to the side, fidgeting a little bashfully, then admitted with a sheepish sort of chuckle. "I, um...I'm actually quite hungry. I don't suppose there would be some sort of breakfast ready by now?"

Juno

Nearly all the earlier bashfulness drained from Niran's eyes at her admission and he quickly scrambled to his feet. "Of course you are. Gods I'm sorry, it hadn't even crossed my mind... Truth be told I think my nerves still have hold of my appetite," he admitted, briefly rubbing at his cheek in self-reproach.

"The cook starts early, there should be a good selection by now. And if there's something in particular you want or something more to your tastes she can probably make it for you. Or try," he insisted with a warm smile before offering, "There didn't seem to be many awake, we could probably head down as we are, or hide off in the kitchens if you'd rather not be seen."

DragonSong

"Oh!" She started again, flinching back when he jumped to his feet. It wasn't even really part of the act--she'd learned very early in life that sudden movement like that usually meant a quick strike was soon to follow.

She blinked, then forced herself to smile, hoping he hadn't noticed her instinctive reaction. "I'm sure whatever the cook has available will be fine, I'm not terribly picky," she assured him as she got to her feet. That was true too. She couldn't afford to be picky, food was food. Biting at her bottom lip, she glanced down at her thin nightgown, then closed the dressing gown a little more securely around it and gave him a slight shrug and a smile.

"Well, if you're sure we won't cause a stir..." Cautiously, she reached out and laid her hand in the crook of his arm, looking up into his face with another tiny smile. "Shall we?"