Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Every Emerald Has It's Inclusions (Daphodyll!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, June 25, 2018, 11:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

It was raining when Douglas arrived at the lapidary. His silver hair was soaking wet, and his blue jacket was dripping water onto the floor. He normally didn't make spur of the moment trips like this, but one of his most loyal customers had commissioned a custom piece of jewelry- one that needed a two carat alexandrite as the center stone. The request seemed ludicrous at first, but the man was willing to put down three hundred suns in advance to cover the cost of the gemstone. There was a catch, however- the man wanted his ring to be ready in a week.

Stepping up to the counter, Douglas smiled at the stone vendor, a bald man named Bernard. The two didn't have a very good working relationship- differences in political opinions had strained whatever good blood was between them. Bernard was the best lapidary in Altas Verde however, so finding another vendor was out of the question. "Alright." Doug said, crossing his fingers behind his back. "I need alex, two carats. Do-"

"Eight hundred suns." Bernard said, cutting the jeweler off.

Douglas stared at the stone vendor in disbelief. "That can't be wholesale." he said, crossing his arms. "Are you positive?"

"Well, I don't have any two carat stones." the gemcutter replied curtly. "I have a three carat stone. I'll cut it to be smaller if I must, but I need to charge you for the profit I'd be losing, too."

Doug threw his arms into the air. "That's absurd!" he said angrily. "This is just because of your suppliers in Falliel, isn't it?"

"So what if it is? It doesn't change a thing." Bernard said, eyes narrowing. "You're still paying eight hundred. That's my price now."

Doug's eye twitched. He opened his mouth as if to say something, then closed it. "Stupid asshole, trying to overcharge me like that..." he thought agrily as he stormed away from the counter. "Just source your stones locally like everybody else!" Positively fuming, the man threw the door open to leave...

...and walked face first into somebody else.

daphodyll

Terrwyn wrapped her cloak back around herself for what had to be the eighth time that day, adjusting the top of her neck as she ducked beneath a store's roof. The rain hadn't been part of the plan for her journey- a night or two in Altas Verde to poke around, as per the recommendation of one of her older customers. That plan had been abandoned now that it was going on the third day, and she'd been turned away from a discouraging amount of suppliers. It was terrible luck she'd gotten one of her biggest commissions right around the same time her regular took off for an annual family visit. If she had any influence over the trends of Jadenshine noblity, though, this would've been the last thing she cared about.

She held a smudged piece of parchment up to the nearest storefront, peering a little closer at what had been scrawled across the top. It looked like the place the last person had tried to describe to her, and she was starting to get a knack for navigating the streets by now.

Well, it was worth a shot. At the very least, she'd get out of the rain for a moment, and maybe pointed towards another shopkeep who just might stock ridiculously over-sized gemstones for reasonable prices.

She finished adjusting her cloak, tucking the paper back into a pocket and doing her best to move forward with confidence and as quickly as possible. The faster she could get in and out of here, the faster she could go back home, where things were familiar and there were young, rich fools waiting.

That thought, like the rest of her plans, was abandoned when she found herself in an honest collision with some moron, reaching to grab at her necklace as she stepped backwards. "Oh- hey, excuse me."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Gah! Sorry!" Douglas quickly stepped back, looking incredibly embarresed. "I'm so, so sorry, I didn't see you there!"

The man glanced over the woman he'd collided with, eyes quickly scanning for jewelry. You tell a lot of things about a person from the pieces they wore- their income, whether they were married, where they lived, etc. Doug's eyes narrowed slightly- the girl didn't have a charm on her necklace. "That means she's not from around here..."

"Ah, forgive my asking, but are you new in town?" he asked, giving the girl a friendly smile. "Your jewelry, it's not a local style. Jadenshine?"

daphodyll

"It's- it's fine." She smoothed the front of her dress, tipping her chin up. "No damage done. Don't worry about it."

She looked the man in front of her up an down, arching an eyebrow. "Yes, actually. Exactly." She reached up to play with an earring,her expression softening. This could be a stroke of luck, maybe, if she was friendly.  "So. You know the local jewelry. Are you in the business around here?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

The man grinned. His ability to guess where somebody lived based on their jewelery had gotten more and more astute as time went on. He chuckled softly. "Yeah, I run the repair shop over on Zircon Street. I specialize in Cyathil, but with the embargo..." He trailed off. "Well, you know how it is. Gold and silver all day." He extended his hand to shake. My name's-"

"Scarpettey." Bernard called from the counter, clearly aggrevated. "Why are you distracting a potential customer? There's a fine for loitering, you know."

Doug's eye twitched, and the man grit his teeth. "Sweet Myyla,can't even talk to people anymore..." he muttered. The jeweler looked at the woman. "Don't buy from this guy." he whispered. "He overcharges everybody, even his regular clients."