Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Nothing to see here...move along. (DragonSong!)

Started by Skaramoosh, July 27, 2018, 04:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skaramoosh

"Suh, whu yuh gon' call 'im den?"

The mug made a dull bloop noise as he dunked it into the rain barrel, a stream of silver bubbles filtering up from the murky depths. Nobody had stolen it yet, but then, he couldn't see the point of lifting an entire barrel of water that had run off the roof. Not unless you wanted to spend the last few days of your life leaking your innards into a gutter anyway. Water just wasn't safe to drink in the city, whatever they said.

"Constantin."
Kale blinked, one brow lifting even as the other crinkled down in bemusement.
"Constan-?"
"It's my panchetta daddy."
"Ponsettia."
"Pomsedda."
"Close enuf. 'Ere, careful now."
The mug looked huge as he handed it to her, wrapping those small light brown hands around it and trying not to slop the murky fluid over herself. The question formed on his lips again when he tensed, head whipping around to glare at the other end of the crowded alley. Wasn't much down here except a couple of shattered palettes, had to keep it clear so that the deliveries could be taken straight in back. Didn't give that great of a view of the street either though, but the commotion was obvious. The bawling of an ox, swearing driver cracking his crop noisily as something broke, beautiful chime of glass gone to pieces. And another, and another, and another. It was shortly followed by several chickens spluttering past the alley, and a small landslide of cabbages. people flitted past unconcerned, the noise growing as disgruntled traders started bellowing at one another and anyone else in reach.

"What does swiving mean?"
The big man frowned, rubbing his chin, the slightest shake of his head visible.
"Das a word yuh shouldn't be repeatin'. Nuh really a nice ting. We should go in, c'mon-"
He moved before her as someone startled hurtling down the length of the alley, checking the narrow doors with some desperation, using himself to shield the little tiefling girl from the stranger.
"'Ey now, slow down!"
A fearsome scowl dropped into place at the approaching woman, melted off again in shock as something cold soaked the leg of his pants, the mug clattering to the ground.
"Oops!"
"Meridia!"

DragonSong

It had been dark. Dark for so long. She couldn't even entirely remember how she got there, hands bound and a gag in her mouth, the ground rocking unpleasantly beneath her. No, not the ground. She was moving. A cart of some kind?

Dark, so dark. Sleep and waking blended together in the endless darkness-- but then there had been light, and noise, and someone grabbing for her to jerk her into the open air that reeked of foreign filth and people, and she panicked. She remembered sinking her teeth into something soft and fleshy, then she was just...running.

Her feet barely seemed to obey her, stumbling and tripping over themselves as the world swirled around her. Memory was jumbled and fuzzy, blending with the here and now that felt more like a bright, too-loud dream than reality.

Home. I have to get home.

A giant was in her way. No, not a giant, just a man. Ruby skidded to a halt, panting, swaying on her feet. Her tail flickered back and forth as she tried to keep her balance, ears pinned back to her skull. The gem-like cluster of scales set into her collar glittered as it caught the light, drawing focus to the still raw marks around it-- as though someone had tried to cut it from her flesh.

She couldn't remember, it was too loud, too bright, the smells were too much. Whimpering, the kulshedra shook her head as her vision flickered at the edges. She was sinking again, slipping into the darkness.

"H-help," she begged, voice rough with disuse. Her knees started to buckle. "Pleas...help me..."

Skaramoosh

He didn't think, simply stepped forward into her, arms wrapping securely around her crumpling frame, one about her back, the other beneath her knees as she hoisted her up into his grip.
"Easy now, gyal. Ah gotchu."
And then stood there, for a couple of breaths, unsure what exactly he was doing. The small voice drew him back from the blank, little hooves tapping a rhythm on the dirt of the alley in consternation.
"Are you going to keep her? You can't call her Constantin though, it's too confusing."

Kale blinked down at his daughter, pooching air between his lips, eyes rolling heavenward as if asking for guidance. When he spoke, his voice was a level calm, but it set hairs prickling on the back of the child's neck. She didn't know the word 'grave' but his face said enough of it, jerking his head at the door.
"Ah t'ink it's best if we go inside. Up di stairs, Princess, an' don' be lettin' anyone in di rooms. Got dat?"
She grabbed the mug and headed in, holding the door wide for him as he ducked through, careful not to bash the stranger's head on the jamb.

Wasn't every day you got someone asking for help, but enough had come through here doing just that, so what was one more? Seemed like she was running from something, and it would have been...wrong, to just leave her there on the street. He didn't have some weird kind of gaese that said he had to help anyone that asked, could have left her there to protect his own interests but...well, being morally grey didn't mean he didn't have a conscience.
He thumped his way up the stairs after the scampering girl, nudged through the door to their room and set the woman down on the bed, Meridia bouncing up beside her and then sitting by her head, almost nose to nose.

There wasn't much to be said for 'remarkably outstanding' about the room. A bed that would have been snug with two in it, a small wash stand and chipped jug, threadbare rug currently littered with sheets of paper and several pieces of charcoal, one of them crumbled as if stepped on. A small window with a hard seat beneath it, filled with soft cushions, and an old richly carved wardrobe depicting flowers and birds. Plain, but for the wardrobe and the handful of things like the cushions and the blanket that suggested someone had tried to give it that 'homey' touch, but not quite succeeded.

"Is she sleeping?"
"Well she ent dead."
Meridia looked up at Kale, her childish features arranged in a look of seriousness as she said; "We should hide her. The wardrobe!"
"Ahm nuh stuffin' a stranger in dere! She's nuh a corpse!"
"But if it does go to Timbuctu-"
"It don't. Sides, ah tink it be better if she 'as a friendly face ta wake up ta..." he leaned over her, catching her chin between forefinger and thumb and turning her face this way and that.

DragonSong

She was in and out of consciousness again, vaguely feeling the sensation of being carried and hearing the chatter of voices, unfamiliar and heavily accented in a way she didn't recognize.

Then she was blinking her eyes and looking up into a stranger's face. No...not a stranger exactly. The giant. The friendly giant with the little girl.

"A-ah!"

Ruby suddenly tried to bolt upright, but only succeeded in lurching awkwardly to the side, head spinning. "Who-- wh-where am I?" She swallowed against a dry throat, looking around wildly. "What's...going on?"

Skaramoosh

His fingers sprang apart like a steel trap as she came to, taking a step back so as not to loom over the woman too much. His immediate thought was maybe a drunk, or a husk sucker so far out of it that surfacing had left her drowning, but she didn't have that sickly sweet decaying stink to her, nor the bite of alcohol. She simply looked exhausted, and on closer inspection, like someone had attacked her by the scrapes on her chest.

"Easy now...yuh in di Siren's Song." After a second's hesitation he added; "A safe place. Neutral ground, so ta speak. Dis is di city ov Reajh, in Connlaoth. Midday, an' yuh was runnin' down di back alley ov di bar."
Facts seemed to be the best thing for now, might help her orient herself...she didn't seem to know where she was, anyway, and not knowing the first thing about her himself...well it was a start to work from.
"Mi name is Kale, I own dis place. Dis is mi gyal, Meridia."
The girl in question looked as if she were going to explode with a question any second, and he made a slow calming motion with one hand. Wait.

He moved tot he wash stand while he spoke, taking one of the wooden cups there and filling it with weak ale from the jug before bringing it back to Ruby and placing it carefully in her hands.
"Suh, let's start wid sum simple t'ings...are yuh hurt anywhere? D'yuh know who yuh are?"

DragonSong

"I--"

Was she hurt? Fire, everything hurt. Ruby stared up at the stranger with wide eyes, a small whimper caught in her throat, she nodded.

"Yes," she whispered, curling in on herself slightly. "Yes, I...I'm hurt. M-my name is Ruby, I help keep the Fire, and I am hurt..."

Her eyes began to itch and she drew her knees up toward her chest, wrapping her arms around her legs as she let her head come to rest on her knees as the tears began to burn their way down her cheeks. As she moved, it became clear that the raw bands of skin around her ankles and wrists were from being bound, from ropes and manacles.

Skaramoosh

Kale shook his head as she curled in on herself. He could understand that she was probably scared and frightened but how was he meant to help her if she wouldn't let him? A sigh passed his lips, a small prayer to the Lady. From the look of her she was malnourished, and the chafed raw marks around the end of her limbs spoke volumes.

A prisoner then...or perhaps a willful slave. Considering how she'd run from somewhere else, begging for help, if she was a slave then it was a relatively new one that hadn't broken and accepted the life ahead of them. That could spell some awful trouble for them...especially if he didn't give her up. But she'd asked for help, and he wasn't about to throw her arse out on the street for someone else to snap up.
After all, they'd all been in a shitty situation at least once and needed someone to extend the hand.

Wherever she'd escaped from though, someone would come looking for her.
"Kyan yuh elaborate? Ahm nuh a mind reader. Start wid di basics, get sum food an' drink in yuh, tend ta di hurts, 'ave a bath an' clean duds...den we can dwell on di real problem. Where yuh come from, an' whu' we gon' do about dis situation."
Kale ducked and dragged a small chest from beneath the bed, began rifling through for the smaller box he kept medical supplies in...she wasn't the first to come through here that needed patching up. Meridia watched for a moment, then bounced in place with the exuberance only a six year old can muster;
"What's your name?"

DragonSong

Ruby flinched back instinctively from the girl's energy, blinking at her.

And then she seemed to transform, tension bleeding away from her shoulders, her head tilting and ears perking forward toward the child while a small smile curved at her lips.

"I'm a-- I'm called Ruby," she told the girl, shifting slightly so the child could sit beside her on the bed if she wanted, though even that slight movement made her wince and grit her teeth against the flash of pain. "I haven't earned a name yet. What are you called, Little One?"

She glanced up at the man who'd helped her, who she assumed was the small one's father, and did her best to answer him. "I don't...I'm sorry, it's difficult to remember. I was out gathering, and I must have gone further than I thought-- and there were men, humans, all around, shouting, and this smell-- too sweet, sticky-sweet, and it filled my nose and mouth and-- and..."

She sighed, slumping a bit. "I'm sorry. It's still sort of...fuzzy."