Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Road Less Traveled [Possible M?]

Started by DragonSong, March 15, 2019, 02:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Mira couldn’t stop her smug little smirk from widening, just a little—not match for the god’s own, of course, but getting close. “I’m sure she did,” she replied blandly as she brushed passed the table where he lay, referring to the old woman’s passing. Then, softer and a little more genuine, “I’m glad.”

And she was. Though Ifamira Blighte had mostly studied necromancy during her academic years in an effort to piss off her parents, she’d be lying if she said she hadn’t gained an affinity for the magic. Not for raising and controlling the dead, goodness no. But speaking with them? Learning? Teaching? Helping them move on to a final rest?

That, she enjoyed.

At Tvaldis’s joke she paused, one hand already clutching her privacy curtain, and looked back over her shoulder. A myriad of emotions played over her face: surprise, indignation, curiosity, annoyance. Then her expression settled into something like bland disinterest.

She forced her voice to be even and cool as she responded, “Is that even a thing you can do, husband mine?”

It was something she’d thought about more than once, she had to admit. Not for any real reason other than her own curiosity, of course. But...well, it was rather odd, wasn’t it? A funny way to go about initiating a High Priestess—calling her a “bride”, saying that the deity she now served was her husband... Once she’d gotten some distance between herself and that cult, she’d actually started to grow curious about it.

Not that she’d ever really admit it to Tvaldis, of course.

With a wave of her hand, she added, “You’re rather...insubstantial, are you not? I wouldn’t think you’d have any interest in such things.”

Kadakism

Tvaldis wasn't sure how to answer that question, really. It stirred feelings inside him that he couldn't exactly explain, and quite honestly wasn't comfortable exploring. Why did he have such an interest in mortal frivolities? He knew how transient they were. But maybe that was the whole point of it. A lifetime of drinking and carousing was, stretched out on the timeline of infinity, not even a blip.

Still, the question brought up that gap he had in the back of his mind, and he did not in the least appreciate that. So he settled on his usual coping mechanism: cavalier disregard. Ignore the problem so that it goes away. Tvaldis shrugged, lifting himself off of the table and standing up for once. He didn't often stand, usually preferring to float and sit comfortably wherever was least convenient for others. Cat-like behavior, he had once been told.

"I am only as insubstantial as I want to be. Like if you wanted to hurl that crystal ball at my head, I wouldn't much appreciate that. But there's a quaint charm to the things you mortals get up to. A distraction, like Kubrik's flask."

DragonSong

“Hence the hedonistic cult?” Mira snipped, folding her arms over her chest so that the curtain swung back into place and quirking her eyebrow at him. “Truly, for a group of people who worship an alleged god of death, they were all...quite taken with the joys of the mortal plane.”

That was putting it lightly. Mira liked to consider herself a worldly woman, by no means an innocent, and even she blushed from some of what she remembered of that night.

She stared Tvaldis down a moment longer, then abruptly shrugged and turned on her heel. “Alright then, fine. Keep your secrets. Just quit pestering me.”

Honestly. The man—was that even an appropriate word?—left her be for months at a time, then turned up to badger her incessantly before disappearing again. She knew he’d get bored of the game eventually, she just didn’t know when.

Or what would happen to her when he did.

“You’ve never properly explained what that ritual actually did,” she muttered as she stepped back into her personal quarters. She didn’t actually expect him to respond, more venting aloud. “Can’t you just run off and find a new Bride in Black to irritate?”

Kadakism

"Alleged..." Tvaldis repeated, his amusement waning as he considered a very dangerous course of action. Well, at least dangerous for him. He shut his eyes, pulling his glasses off of his nose to obsessively wipe down with his sleeve again. They didn't need it, they never had dust on them. But he did it nonetheless for reasons even he couldn't explain.

"I-" Where to begin? How to explain? If she knew how little power he actually had in this relationship, surely with all his teasing and bothering she would just break their bond and be rid of him, right? He'd go right back into his metaphorical box. Back to the dark, to wait for someone else to call him out. Despite himself and his usual ability to mask his emotions, Tvaldis grimaced.

"Mira... Ifamira. How long, precisely have we been together? Humor me a moment, will you. Time is- I don't have the best perspective of time, let's say." It was true. Humans often said that they longer you lived, the faster time seemed to pass. And he had, while not technically been alive, existed for a very long time.

He could feel that he was going to regret this. But, he also wagered, eventually Mira would get tired of his presence and simply try to break the bond herself. And if she did that, she might be vengeful enough to try and make sure he never got back out.

DragonSong

She paused, once more looking back over her shoulder at him, though she only hesitated a moment before turning back around and heading to her small table to kneel beside it, finally picking up the tea she had prepared. It was barely lukewarm now, but she sipped at it anyway.

"...Seven years," she told him when she put the cup down, glancing over at him sidelong. She wasn't quite sure what his angle was--he seemed surprisingly genuine, but she wasn't ready to trust that. "Why?"

Kadakism

"Seven years," he said quietly, the incredulity in his voice apparent. Tvaldis shook his head and retrieved the flask that he had stolen earlier, taking a seat cross-legged opposite Mira. He regarded her in his peripheral vision, unscrewing the flask so that he could take a sip of the bitter alcohol.

He was quiet for a moment. It was a contemplative silence, one that Mira had probably seen at least a dozen times in their years together. He opened his mouth to speak, couldn't find the words, and chose to drink more as he tried to piece together his thoughts.

"I know that you're afraid of me, Mira. You're afraid of what nefarious plans you assume I have for you. I- that's very funny to me," he said, though there was none of his usual mirth or sarcasm. There was a slight, almost fearful quiver in his voice as he continued. He hated putting himself in this predicament. Being this vulnerable. "What if I told you, completely honestly, that you don't have to be? That the worst thing I can do to you, I have already been doing for seven years. Annoy you, I mean."

DragonSong

She stared at him, silent. She couldn't tell if his reaction was because he'd thought it had been a longer or shorter span--or if he didn't care either way. He seemed...surprisingly genuine, which had never really happened before. She had no idea how to handle it.

It was the slight tremor to his voice that really struck her. That... He wasn't faking that. She knew he wasn't. She spent most of her professional life putting on a performance, and she'd gotten very good at reading when someone else was doing the same. Even a creature like Tvaldis.

"...I'm not sure I'd believe you," she told him after several long moments of silence. It was an honest answer, which surprised even her a little bit. She hadn't decided to be honest with him until the words were already halfway out of her mouth. "But...I would also admit that I'm not sure what angle you could be working by telling me so. With that in mind..."

She took another sip of her tea, eyeing him over the rim of the cup. "Talk."

Kadakism

"Figures," he sighed, setting the flask down. "I guess nearly a decade is long enough though."

He really didn't want to do this. Was already wishing he could swallow his words and take everything back and make a smarmy comment and let that be it. But he couldn't. Not anymore. So Tvaldis did precisely what Mira asked of him. He talked.

"I'm not a god. Not strictly, at least. My kind have been worshiped as gods by some tribal people and some off-beat religious... cults. I've told you the truth from the beginning, though I'll admit that I left parts out. I am a guide. I lead the living through the trials of their lives and I lead the dead to their final rest. My business is making sure there isn't any unfinished business, as it were."

"That cult, they honestly didn't know what I was. They hadn't ever spoken to me. The Brides in Black or whatever, that's just a thing they misunderstood. See, only so many of my kind can be out in the world at once. If you're not out doing your duties, you're..."

He paused, gulping down m ore alcohol and wishing to whatever god was most convenient that he could get drunk. But he was this far in now and he couldn't back out.

"...you go in a box. You sit in the dark and the quiet and you don't get to move. Sometimes for... hundreds of years, I imagine. It's really hard to tell after a while. You just go numb. Stop thinking. And then someone opens your box. Binds you to them. And the fresh air is just so... fucking nice."

Tvaldis didn't curse. He prided himself in that. But he would allow himself to slip up just this once.

"Fresh air. Food. Water. Alcohol. Grass between your toes. Warmth. Touching... anything. Everything."

"So," he admitted, finally getting to the point. "I let you think... that I am a god. That I'm capable of some vague, terrible thing because..." Tvaldis cut off. He set the flask down, his form starting to fade a bit. He wanted to be invisible, to not feel her stare on him. So he didn't look, because he knew she was going to be pissed. Not just angry or agitated, but furious.

DragonSong

Not a god.

Still a guide.

He couldn't hurt her, even if he tried. Or at least, that seemed to be the case.

He could irritate her, because...he wanted to. Because it was fun? Because he worried she would have discovered the truth if he hadn't?

Was he right to be afraid of her?

And it was clear now that that was what it was, that he was afraid. She'd spent so long being scared, worried that the wrong word or look would suddenly send him into a rage, would reveal whatever power had earned him worship, even from that odd little cult.

"Tvaldis..."

She'd avoided saying his name when she could, because of the power she felt it held. Even now, she still got that little shiver down her back, a flicker in the air from magic not her own. Was it him? Her? The bond that tethered him to her side of the Veil?

Without really thinking about what she was doing, she reached out. She'd never tried to get him to--to stay before, when he began to flicker out of her sight. But now she reached for his hand, as she would have with another member of the troupe, or perhaps even her old school friends, once upon a time. An instinctive desire to comfort.

She was confused, she needed answers. She still wasn't sure she believed him. But...

"Tvaldis, listen--"

"Mira?"

The necromancer swore and practically vaulted to her feet, whirling toward the front of the tent at the sound of the Ringmaster's voice. "Viserian!" She looked from her privacy curtains to her strange companion and back, mismatched eyes wide. "I... Hold on a moment, I'll be right out!"

Turning to the....spirit. Entity. Whatever he was, she said in a hushed, hurried whisper, "Don't--don't go anywhere, alright? I'll be right back."

Kadakism

Tvaldis didn't fully fade, instead stopping about three quarters of the way. A bare, ghostly figure sitting on the tent floor. He knew that Viserian was approaching before he spoke up, but just remained silent. She wanted him to stay, and so he would. But he still made himself more or less invisible while he waited for her to finish whatever conversation the ringmaster wanted to have with her.

While they talked, Tvaldis found himself reeling. She hadn't yelled at him, at least. He wondered if she pitied him. That almost seemed worse than her hating him. He didn't want to be pitied. There was a brief wonder if he should scare Viserian away. He could, if he tried. A lot of smoke and mirrors and a whole lot of bravado. But the psychopomp didn't think he could manage much bravado at the moment. So he waited, idly running his fingers through the incense smoke to spell out little poems in Thanati. Poems he knew that he knew but couldn't remember where he had learned them.

DragonSong

With another backward look for her patron, Mira hurried out to the entrance of the tent.

"Vis? Something wrong?" She tried to offer up her usual, blithe smile, and she thought she managed it pretty well.

The Ringmaster had been waiting just outside the tent with his back to her, though he tipped his head to look sidelong in her direction when she approached. He offered a crooked smile of his own, and her chest expanded a bit in relief. "A bit. Weyrloc is feeling a bit ill, so we're down one billing for the main show tonight. Interested?"

Mira quirked an eyebrow. "You've never asked me to perform in the main show before," she said slowly.

The Ringmaster's smile widened. "That's not an answer."

She blinked at him. "What would I even do? I'm a medium, I don't exactly wow a huge crowd."

He shrugged. "You have other talents, I'm sure we can improvise. We only need to fill about ten minutes of time. Please? As a favor to me?"

She huffed and mock glowered at him. "Are you asking me, or telling me?"

He continued to smile at her, silver eyes unreadable.

She rolled her eyes. "Fine. But you owe me, Viserian."

"Wonderful!" The man who had offered her a home nearly a decade ago swooped in to kiss her brow, then whirled away in a fluttering of colorful fabric. "Just for tonight, Mira-love, don't worry! You're a gem!"

Mira glared at his back, but she was smiling a bit too as she shook her head and turned to go back into her tent.

"Oh, bring your friend! I'm sure he can help with the act!"

Her eyes widened.

Oh. Shit.

It took a few moments of carefully measured breathing before Mira could force herself to face Tvaldis again. This was all just... It was a lot. From both of them, all at once.

"Alright. So." She brushed the curtains aside to stand before him--or where she thought he was, he was difficult to see at the moment. Fists planted on her hips, she tipped her head at him. "I assume you heard all that?"

Kadakism

As soon as Viserian was gone, Tvaldis started making himself substantial again. The talk had given him a moment to collect himself, and given him something to focus on other than his own brief misery. When she returned, he was drumming his fingers against the table and looking at the space just past her head. He couldn't look her in the eye at the moment, but he wasn't going to be totally rude.

"Yeah, I heard. What are we going to do for the show?" He spoke with a certainty that he was going to be involved in this. He figured that, at the very least, she would demand that he help her out. He had a few tricks that he could pull in a pinch, but he usually didn't go for the whole... shock and awe thing.

He also wasn't a fan that apparently this Viserian knew that he was there. He tried to make good on keeping a low profile, always staying invisible outside of the tent.

DragonSong

"I have no idea," Mira replied dismissively, taking her seat at the small table again and waving a hand airily. "We'll figure it out. Honestly, I can't say I'm thrilled that Vis knew you were here--" which probably means he's always known, the damn enigmatic bastard-- "but I don't think that's the main issue here just now."

Wrapping her fingers around her teacup again, she lifted it to her lips. And immediately scrunched her face up in distaste as cold tea washed over her tongue. Damnit.

Muttering a string of foul language and a quick spell under her breath, she heated the liquid until it was steaming before sipping at it again. Her eyes flickered back up to Tvaldis's face.

"Why? Why did you tell me this, what... What do you want from me?"

Kadakism

Tvaldis kept drumming his fingers on the table as he waited for Mira to e joy her drink for a moment. Of course she wasn't done with the conversation. He wasn't going to get out of this that easily.

"I don't know. I guess I just... don't want you to be afraid of me. I didn't think it was that serious, but recently I've just noticed it more. How subtly terrified you are."

"I can help though, with the show. I have a few tricks that I keep up my sleeve. After that, I guess- well, I guess you can decide if you want to finally be rid of me."

DragonSong

Mira's shoulders stiffened again, her eyes snapping toward him warily. She couldn't help it. She'd spent the better part of ten years trying to dissect everything this creature said to her, to look for the loopholes, always conscious of the potential for danger in their every interaction.

He was right. She was scared of him.

But he didn't want her to be?

Hm.

"...I need to think." She plunked the cup down onto the table with a sharp huff, finally letting her eyes drop from his face. With a low groan she dropped her face into her hands and added, "About a lot of things, apparently."

Kadakism

"Take your time," he said, slowly getting to his feet and the further getting up by floating subtly off the ground. "I'll leave you to it, yeah? You don't need me hanging around. I'm sure there's some poor sap who needs some advice somewhere." Maybe get one more task in before I go back into my box, he thought, his fox-like smile returning despite the worry gnawing at the back of his mind.

"You can call me back whenever you've made a decision. Or whenever you want, really."

DragonSong

"...How?"

She was just staring at him; whatever she was feeling, for once, it didn't show on her face. After a moment of silence, she elaborated, "How do I call you? I never have before--you just turn up when you want."

At least, that's what she'd always assumed. With what he'd told her, it seemed just as likely that he was constantly around, he just didn't bother to make his presence known to her.

And that...was a more than a little disconcerting thought.

Kadakism

"I can always hear you," he said, scratching at his cheek thoughtfully. "When you want me to hear you, that is. That's part of the deal when we made the bond."

Tvaldis floated over, closing the distance between the two of them. Tvaldis was feeling really raw at the moment, and it showed in subtle ways that he was certain Mira could see. He reached out a hand, hesitating over her shoulder for a moment before deciding that she probably didn't want him touching her right now.

"For what little it's worth, I'm sorry for frightening you for... so long." He paused for a second. Seven years was in fact a long time for most humans.

DragonSong

A short, sharp laugh. "You know, I actually think you mean that."

Mira raised her head with a sardonic half smile, and for the first time in a long time--longer than she'd like to admit, really--she met and held his gaze.

The gold of her iris flared, a subtle echo of the power that linked them. Whatever he was, that at least his little cult had managed. They were bound to one another, down to the soul.

...But perhaps they did not have to be.

And he'll be gone. Back in his box. Alone.

Could she do that? Should she?

With a soft exhale the necromancer got to her feet, brushing at imaginary dust on her robes. "Go on, then. I'll at least need to speak to you before the show tonight, so you can expect a...call by then."

Kadakism

"As you wish, dear," he said with a bit more of his usual mirth, but it was hard to tell just how much of it was forced or genuine.

His form shrank, pulling inward like smoke pulled by a draft in a campfire, until he was gone. He left behind the faint scent of cut apples and funeral flowers, but left Mira alone to decide what she wanted to do.