Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lovely Day for a Public Execution [M] [Sanct!]

Started by JaddWard, August 12, 2019, 03:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaddWard

Out of Character: Based on the characters involved, the following thread is liable to go to some dark places, at the very least, some extreme violence and gore- I will be trying to keep a list of trigger warnings here in the top post as they occur in the thread. If that kind of stuff makes you uneasy or uncomfortable, please do yourself a favor and go check out some of the other amazing stories on this site.

Trigger Warnings: Impending Execution, Implied Sexual Abuse of Minors.

The sun shone high over the town of Sumwar, a lovely town just large enough to start appearing on recent editions to national maps. The town was lively with activity, men chopping more and more firewood as others brought it into the town square, making a nice lovely pile around a post in the center of the square, other men dowsing oil all over the freshly cut dried wood. To those not currently invested in preparing the pyre, the pending event was almost like a festival. Much chatting and gossiping, kids running and playing. Practically the whole town had suspended work for the day. After all, it wasn't often that the Church's Judicator was called from Kia's Court to condemn a heretic!

The whole town had been there, the night before, in front of the church as the aged man with the hard visage and church official robes declared the man who had been found- shapeshifting -to be a primal mage, and a heretic before Kia's Divine Light. All the citizens in attendance cheered at the outcome, for that meant there would be a grand pyre, to baptize the heretic in flame.

Chey't had a great view of the festivities and preparation of the pyre from where he sat, his body- currently the form of a teenage female with bright green eyes and gold hair -was bound in iron chains and entombed in a freshly made oak box. There were all sorts of religious wards scrawled on the outside by the town's own priest that did absolutely fuck all. Same with the chains and the box. For some reason- these people believed that the iron chains would prevent him from shifting, probably some of their faen ancestry influencing their understanding of true magic.

But Chey't was all too happy to lean into the delusion, the moment they burned him- he'd transform into a tiny little moth and ride the updraft off the pyre to safety. Turning away from the pyre, he could see the Judicator, overlooking the preparations of accelerant by the priest and two officers of the church he brought with him, occasionally lifting his ancient eyes to glare at Chey't. Had his hands not been so thoroughly bound, he would have smiled and waved.

A few more minutes passed and the mayor stepped from the church- looking nervously from Chey't to the Judicator, and back again. No doubt remembering the night the two had spent together. See, the Mayor of Sumwar was a sinner in the eyes of the church. Much like Chey't. Unlike Chey't, Mayor Hubert's sin was actually heinous. Something Chey't himself considered to be sin. Had things played out differently- it would be the Mayor being affixed to the pyre today. For beyond his covetous nature, beyond his greed for wealth that had originally put him on Chey't radar, beyond the temper that flared up anytime he got into his cups. Chey't had learned while scoping out the man to rob him blind that the man had a love of power, and control. Of being in control, of taking power away from those he deemed beneath him.

A love that often manifested in the manipulation and coercion of young women- far too young women -into his bed. Hence the current form Chey't had taken.

Needless to say, the Mayor of Sumwar was.. uncomfortable at having a Judge, Jury, and Executioner of the church present in his town. So close to his secrets that had the Judicator been sniffing for them at all, the Mayor was a dead man. But, instead of his current form being condemning evidence against the Mayor's predatorial nature, it served as condemning evidence that Chey't conspired with succubi, and had clearly seduced the virtuous mayor into corrupting his morals. It truly was amazing that humans could twist anything to be blamed on anything different from themselves.

"Ah, um, Your Grace?" the Mayor stammered at the church official, "How long before we can rid of it?"

Chey't couldn't help but stop watching the pyre grow and listen to the voice of the old man- religious zealot he may have been, but the man's voice had aged like fine wine. "You will come to appreciate the virtue of patience when you are older, Mayor. The Pyre will shine in the last light of the sun, as is proper. There are still some preparations to be made. Since I was unable to discern the true nature of this heretic, I am taking precautions for whatever it may be. One of my bishops is seeing to the last of these, grinding twenty pounds of lead into shavings for the fire."

"Fuck." Came the voice of the shifter bound in the box, causing the mayor to jump. The old Judicator looked up at the heretic again and smiled for the first time since coming to Sumwar- unlike his voice, his smile was not a pleasant thing.

"Congratulations, Mayor. This whole debacle has led me to what must surely be the last true doppler in existence. Today we are ridding the world of a great, primal evil."

SanctifiedSavage

He wasn't entirely sure the last time he'd checked in on his dear friend, but whenever the mood struck Bect took the time to hunt Chey't down. If he ever thought more about what it took to find the other shapeshifter, Bect might realize that sometimes the other didn't want to be found.

For Bect, it was just an elaborate game of -go-seek. It wasn't every day that he got to hunt someone like him, after all. His search eventually led him to a quiet – to him – town that didn't seem to have anything really special about it. Buildings were all the same to him, people all looked and frequently tasted the same. It was only the real odd ones that stuck out.

Thus far, everyone here was rather boring.

Early morning wasn't exactly an exciting time, though. Wrapped in one of his more casual forms, Bect looked like he could be anyone else in the town. A worker, a farmer, a shopkeep. There wasn't anything particularly distinguishing about him. His height was average, he was dirty from travel, and his clothes were torn in some places. His hair was short and cut close to the skin, but a lot of the working class tended to be.

He fit right in.

Bect found a nice tavern, pilfered some coin so he could buy a mundane breakfast, and proceeded to listen. News about crops, travel, and most importantly, a trial. Not just a trial, but the execution at the end of one.

What were the odds...?

Probably pretty good.

Any place that Bect went, and played, tended to ripple with news of his passing. Much the same with Chey't, though usually on a smaller, less bloody scale. It was worth checking out, anyway.

Bect finished his breakfast, idly flirted with the serving wench for a little and almost carried her off, until she made mention she needed to be back in time for the trial.

Right. That's what he was there for.

So he just left the tavern and filtered down the now slightly busier road toward where all the action was bound to take place. Not until noon, he overheard, when the purifying light of the sun would help expose and cleanse the corruption.

Bect asked how he could help. Excitement was starting to build in the townsfolk and they gladly accepted an extra hand, even a strangers, to start working on a pyre. Doing so, Bect picked up bits and pieces of more news. A Judicator was in town. The Mayor was involved. Some manner of heinous sin involving a young woman. It didn't necessarly matter, at a certain point, if it was Chey't. Now Bect was just curious what manner of woman they had. Was she special? Did she taste good? Would she scream differently?

Nearing the high noon, as the Mayor and Judicator eventually took a place near what he supposed was the witch-in-a box. While he absolutely hated taking on animal forms, Bect slipped into the shadows of a nearby building so he could melt down into something less conspicuous. A small robin flitted from where he'd been before and landed near a small hole in the box, through which he oozed into the box. Sliding through it like so much sludge and dropping sloppily down the side before reforming into much tinier, disgruntled version of himself. Pocket sized, given the lack of space.

"So... How's your day going?" he grinned up at the lady who was, for now, much larger than he was. If she didn't prove to be really interesting, he could just... eat her in the box. Wouldn't that be a sight when they opened it?

JaddWard

Chey't had been racking his brain trying to figure out just how to get out of this without being burned alive with fucking leadfire and without causing another shapeshifter hunt when he felt something move into his box. Now just what in all the hells could that be. Pulling his head into the box- they'd been kind enough to leave a hole for his head so he could see out and view his pending execution, something he hadn't been too worried about until the Judicator mentioned that they were bringing out freaking lead for the pyre.

Inside the box, standing on the knee of the girlish form he'd taken, was a miniature man, small of stature, and very very familiar, not in the face, no, but in the mannorisms. It had to be Bect, who else would so casually wander into the cramped confines of someone waiting to die. "Oh you know, it's just a lovely day for a public execution, figured I would take part." Chey't's voice was quiet, meant for the ears of the little man standing on his knee and hopefully not to rouse the notice of the mayor, judicator, and the other church officials standing not ten feet away. "Got caught shifting and the trap I had been laying for the powerful prick of a mayor sprung on me, now I'm trying to figure out how to get out of here without causing a shifter hunt. Humans can be damn persistent when they want to be. What about you? What are you doing here Bect?"

SanctifiedSavage

It didn't exactly surprise Bect when his name was said aloud. Leave it to his nearest and dearest to not only find themselves shoved in a box, but to remain in the box. Bect was fully convinced that Chey't was utterly capable of the same wholesale destruction he, himself, was. That the shapeshifter didn't was the point of curiosity and, ultimately, odd affection Bect had for them.

He made a show of peering around, as though there were anything else to look at in the box, before tsking a little. "One of your little plans go awry. You could've just ate the Mayor and you wouldn't find yourself in such a box," he chided, grinning all the while. There wasn't any question about whether or not Bect was going to help him – of course he was going to. He clapped his tiny hands together and rubbed them with excited enthusiasm. "So, how should I do this? Giant, beastial terror? Some manner of tentacled nightmare? Mix of the two? How many mouths are we talkin' and how fast do you want them all to die?" He couldn't help the excitement that carried in his voice. A kid in a candy shop about to eat the whole damn shop.

JaddWard

"I don't want them all to die, Bect." Chey't murmured, a touch of something in his voice. Sorrow? Melancholy? Something in between? "Of all the people in this town, there's only one here that I know deserves death, and that's the god forsaken child violating shitstain of a mayor. Sure, the Judicator knows far too much for anyone's good, but he's fucking ancient. He'll croak in a year or two, maybe have a heart attack if my new plan goes off without a hitch."

Chey't's currently girlish face poked up out of the head hole of the box, looking over two the Judicator and his two attendees, and the Mayor. "Hey, your Holiness, how long before we get the barbecue going?" The ancient man of the church looked taken aback, the pedophilic mayor blanched.

"An hour, at the most, daemon."

"Cool, I'm gunna go back to praying for forgiveness and salvation and shit, keep me posted." the shifter ducked his head back into the box, missing out on a colorful and devout rebuke from the old man. "So here's how it is. Everyone out there? They're just caught up in the hoopla, a Judicator's come to town, there's a daemon, rha rha la di da. They're working on building my death pyre because they believe it's the right thing to do, they're all in the mood for an execution, so let's fucking give them a show like they've never seen. Here's what I need you to do. The town smithy is preparing lead filings with the help of one of the Judicator's lackeys. Go to the smithy, and take his place, I don't care how you do it, but be quiet about it. If people see and panic, the show is fucked before it begins.

"Now here's the important bit, bring back iron filings instead of lead, it's a smithy in a farming town, there's going to be a box or something that's just full of iron filings from sharpening and mending tools. Something's got to go onto the pyre or the Judicator is going to know something is up. If it's iron, I can put on one hell of a show that I think you're really going to enjoy." Chey't looked away for a moment, biting his lip, heavily contemplating just what he was about to tell Bect. Finally, he relented, "If lead goes onto that pyre, and I'm burned on it. I'm going to die. I'm literally putting my life in your hands, Bect. Please don't fuck this up."

SanctifiedSavage

Bect could appreciate... sort of... Chey't's sentiment. It was like watching someone fret over some manner of prized trinket. He didn't want all his toys to be broken. Not all of them. Bect could respect that much. After all, he didn't really appreciate it when someone barged in on him mid-meal and tried to stop him. If he was going to try for anyone, it'd be Chey't. So, he heard that the Mayor and the Judicator didn't matter.

Great. They went on the can eat list.

But the rest of the town? Jeeeeez. Chey't was making a big ask out of Bect. He even scrunched up his face like he'd tasted something woefully rotten as his compatriot began unraveling what sounded like a lot of unnecessary work. Something about a blacksmith – the blacksmith, who was deemed unimportant so he was added to the can eat list – and iron and lead and...

"Damn but you do talk a lot," Bect remarked at the end of it all. He reached up, arm stretching necessarily to do so, and patted his friend's cheek in what he supposed was a comforting gesture. "Don't worry. You're not going to die."

On that note, Bect melted into some mockery of a beetle with too many misshapen legs and janky wings, buzzing out of the hole and taking up a position once more in the shadows. There, he mentally reviewed his list. Mayor. Judicator. Smithy.

Everyone else had to be more or less alive. Fine, fine, fine. Picky.

Something big and visually terrifying, then. Something to get them all to scatter.

His body split open and began to grow. Flesh bubbling up from his small form, tendrils shooting up and latching onto bone that spiked out of the mass, constructing an insectoid body of many legs and hooked claws. Centaur-esque in build, but hard-skinned and spine-y. Spidery legs gave way to hard, chitin points as he walked out of the shadows. No one noticed him until one of the slick, purpled tentacles from his shoulders wrapped around them and they shrieked.

Now, normally Bect would've split his mouth open and devoured them. Whole. But Chey't didn't want all of them dying so.. He threw the screaming body at another one that faced him. They collided, drew more attention, and the rippled fear spread from him. Like cockroaches exposed to the light, people began to scatter.

Bect took his time, lingering. Letting them run. Giving them a head start. Until he saw the Mayor. He chittered a clicking laugh and darted over terrified townsfolk to go for him. First person on his list! His screams were cut short when one of Bect's sharp legs pierced through his back, pinning him to the ground. Before he could lean down to dig in, though, some odd tingling played over his skin. Prickling across his flesh. Magic? Was the Judicator trying to do something?

That drew Bect's attention. One of his clawed hands burst into white flame – that he shrugged off, letting the limb fall to the ground so he could regrow a new one. The pain was minimal. A sensation amongst a plethora of others.

Guess that man was next.