Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On flightless wings we fly [M][Dragonsong]

Started by Calianne, October 01, 2019, 02:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calianne

It was a quiet evening by Elyon's standards. No barfights – so far, at least – and no damsels in distress in need of saving either, he mused to himself, his lips stretching into an uncomfortable grimace as he recalled the maiden who had all but ran into the arms of the town drunkard the previous evening, and had then put up quite a show when the bloke did what nature intended him to do, or well, tried to... nearly had... if the damned bird that had made it his personal mission to act as Elyon's conscience had not intervened.

Oh, it wasn't as if Erebos himself had deigned to stop the fool from getting handsy with the girl. No no, that would be far too beneath his station, and would not have nearly the entertainment value of forcing his best friend to do so for him. And what did he have to show for this reluctant act of heroism? A nice big, smarting bruise right on his cheek where the girl, the maiden he had painstakingly extracted from the drunkard's viselike grip on the behest off his feathered companion, that girl had gifted him with.

That would teach him that being a hero did not suit him...at all. And that Gryphon's made for the absolute worst of travelling companions.

Running a hand wearily over his face, he nearly groaned when he felt the almost full beard that he was sporting nowadays,  a fashion statement he had always associated with older men, never himself, and definitely not at his current age. But that was the price he had to pay for anonymity, he supposed, toying listlessly with the ends of the hard bristles before dropping his tanned hand back into his lap. Swinging his legs lazily over the edge of the roof of an old apothecary, he turned away from his musings and trained his gaze back on the road leading to-and-from The Crimson Serpent across the street from him, scanning each patron closely as they entered and exited the building, hoping to find, and corner, the Rat before he died of sobriety. He had been playing the part of sentry for the better part of six hours now, and by dragon's breath, his arse was hurting, the uncomfortable thatched roof forcing him to shift every few minutes – leading to some very close calls with him almost toppling face-first onto the beam below him. This would be somewhat inopportune, seeing as he did not want the humiliation of having Erebos stage a coup to break him out of the cells for trespassing, something the damned bird would lord over him until death do them part.

'Elyon seems especially out of sorts this evening, this one sees. Was his bed not sufficiently warmed last eve by the feisty mortal woman? Erebos's voice, deep and melodious, rang out clear as a bell in Eli's mind, the amusement slathered on as thick as butter on bread, and it immediately had Eli scowling.

Think of the devil and he shall invade your thoughts, Eli grumbled to himself sourly, his legs swinging faster in agitation at his gryphon's intrusion. Tossing his gaze to the starry heaven, he tried to focus on seeing the tawny feathered wings of his companion winging through the night sky, but he had either hidden himself very well from Elyon's view, or he had snuck into their link's vicinity in some other manner.

'Of course I am out of sorts, you overgrown songbird. Would you not be as well after being decked by a slip of a girl whilst trying to save the damned thing? And need I remind you that the bright spark that was her rescue was entirely your hair-brained concoction?', he punched the thought angrily through their mindlink, and could almost feel Erebos flinching from the sudden force. The gryphon drew away from the link at that, his thoughts reproachful and disapproving. Eli could almost imagine that if he could, Erebos would be sniffing in indignation right now, insulted as he most probably felt.

He allowed himself a small, self-satisfied smirk at the victory, and was firmly patting himself on the back when he saw the rat exiting the tavern. Instantly all mirth and jest was forgotten as his mind became coldly professional, all attention now on the job at hand. A quick glance at the moon's position told him that it could not be later than 2 bells before midnight. He frowned at that, his fingers shifting to the handle of his broadsword laid beside him on the roof, his wary gaze scanning the area around the cloaked man, looking for anything out of place.

'The little rat is scurrying back to its nest too early, Min'rah.' Erebos sounded concerned, and through their link Eli felt the first tendrils of suspicion taking root in his gryphon's mind.

Nodding wordlessly to himself, he stayed poised on the rooftop a minute longer, trying to figure out why his informant was acting so out of character tonight.

There was something the rat was trying to hide, it would seem. Or it was trying to hide itself, which, considering the coward that it was, seemed the likeliest of answers. Which begged the question of what had led to his careful rat getting spooked?

It seemed that trouble was the only flavour Adela offered, and Elyon was already sick of it.

Sighing resolutely, he heaved himself swiftly to his full height of 6'2 feet, flexing his sore muscles in a quick, languid stretch, before bending down to scoop up Beserker, attaching the scabbard firmly to the leather straps that crossed his back, making sure that the pommel was easily accessible, and would not lop off anything important when he drew the sword, before securing his black, tattered cloak over his broad shoulders, flicking up the hood to cover his face.
'Erebos, I'm going to need you to stay close to me, okay? If things get hairy tonight, I might need you to intervene.'

The answer came swiftly through the link, 'This one hears, Min-rah.' Erebos flew over his head then, the tips of his massive wings only just brushing the roof of the building on which Eli was perched, before he banked swiftly to the right, disappearing once more from view.

Grinning savagely as the thrill of the chase started pumping through his blood, Elyon made quick work of his descent from the building, using the beams as leverage in order to lower himself, almost soundlessly, to the ground. The moment his booted feet touched dirt, he sprang into pursuit of the hooded figure that had disappeared around a corner mere moments ago. His large form was surprisingly fast and light on his feet, and within moments he found himself at the alley mouth that the informant had ducked into.

It was, of course, a dead end, and even he could not see within the dark shadows that cloaked the furthest parts of the alley. So it was entirely within bounds that, when the rat's insidious voice broke the silence right behind him, Elyon jumped like a frightened kitten, much to the amusement of Erebos, who started guffawing through their link.

He whirled around with an almost dizzying speed, fixing his accusatory gaze on the tall, thin man in front of him. He stalked towards him, dueling emotions of embarrassment and anger making eddy's of hot and cold run through his body, only settling down when he felt the reassuring presence of his companion approaching from the sky, although still rankling from being laughed at.

The gryphon was too big to land in the streets of the small village, and his bulk too heavy to be supported by the mostly timber houses that the town consisted of, so he was forced to fly above them, circling their location like a vulture would when it spied carrion.

Eli was pleased to see that the Rat's skin had gone pasty at the gryphon's appearance, and took advantage of this before he could regroup. "You left early tonight, Rat. Early is bad in our line of work, you know that. It usually leads to duplicity or, in your case, lack of information." Elyon leaned forward slightly, fully recovered from his earlier embarrassment, his usual professionalism taking precedence once more. "Tell me," he poked a finger at his informant's chest, taking perverse pleasure in causing him to flinch this time, "tell me that you did not walk out of that tavern empty handed after I already paid you half of your fee." He emphasized this with another firm push of his finger, only stopping when the silent figure stumbled backwards, his head bowed, and arms raised as he tried to supplicate Eli. Jittery brown eyes bounced between Eli's tattered cloak and his piercing gaze, before he answered, his accent so familiarly uncultured that Elyon relaxed a bit at the familiarity. "Tis true, Ser. Tis true tha' I left tha' there tavern before midnigh', but Ser, yer see, I was list'nin to those there Ad'len knights, and I heard meself a right int'restin' tale." He paused, as if to build suspense, but a quick, hard look from Eli soon had him continuing. "A girl, they said. A girl with her very own fire-breather, Ser. Ran right outta their service, yer see, and took that there Fire-breather with her."

His tall frame leaned closer, and Eli had to stop himself from flinching when the man's oily fingers latched on to his cloaked arm, his gaze animated as he relayed the story. "They be offerin' a pretty penny fer her head. Nothin' else attached to it, if yeh ken what I mean, but that there Ad'len's looked like they'd pay even more if the girl was to be brought to them alive. The Fire-breather too, I s'pose," he shrugged dismissively, "she'd not be too far from this here town, they say, Ser."

Eli leaned back from the man, his gaze pensive as he considered the information. A girl and a dragon was a tall order even for seasoned bounty hunters like him and Erebos, but the reward would be astronomical, especially if the Adelan military was involved. Grinning wickedly at the prospect of all the ale he would be able to afford with such a payout, Elyon turned his blue eyes back to the man in front of him, reaching in to his pocket before tossing a small dark pouch at him, who almost fumbled in his haste to catch it. The greed in his gaze as he surveyed the contents inside was normal for his kind, and yet, somewhere deep inside of his mind, Elyon deplored it. Unfortunately, he needed men like the Rat to help him with his bounties, and so he squashed the rebellion inside his soul and grasped the arm of the man tightly, his face grim once more as he addressed him.

"Tell me everything you know about the girl and her dragon."

DragonSong

They had been flying for almost ten hours straight before Kyoko finally managed to convince her partner to land. Se'zeh was stubborn, even for a dragon; after six or seven hours she had started to flag, but she refused to stop and rest. By the time she finally gave in to Kyoko's pleas, the small dragoness was panting sharply and each beat of her wings seemed to be a struggle.

They came down in a copse of scraggly, needle-leafed trees clustered in the foothills of the Thunderblacks. It was rather quick and harsh as far as landings went, and Kyoko didn't have time to register much more than the fact that the copse itself seemed safe enough, and the flickering lights of a town were far enough away that--at least in the darkness--she wasn't worried too much about them being spotted as they dove from the sky.

Se'zeh hit the ground and ran a few paces to lose her momentum, but she was so exhausted that three strides in she stumbled and nearly tumbled head over tail.

Eyes wide, Kyoko threw herself from the dragon's back, hitting the ground shoulder first with a sharp, quickly muffled cry of pain, and rolled a few yards before she slowed to a stop. She pushed herself up onto her hands and knees, eyes wide, and saw that Se'zeh had managed to skitter to a halt and was already twisting back toward her, golden eyes narrowed in concern even as her wings and legs trembled while she crawled toward her.

Kyoko smiled, raising a hand and stumbling to her feet so she could move forward and lay her palm against her friend's muzzle. "Hey, hey. You okay? I thought I might be throwing your balance off..."

Se'zeh narrowed her eyes further and snorted, giving her head a brisk shake. She was just tired, Koko wasn't any heavier than usual.

Kyoko smiled crookedly and shook her head at that in turn. "Yeah, maybe, but you really should have listened to me when I told you to land four hours ago. I may not be any heavier than normal, but you've never flown that far in one stretch before."

Se'zeh grumbled, but she couldn't exactly argue with that. Chuckling tiredly, Kyoko patted her cheek and forced her legs not to give out--riding for so long had left her weak-kneed--as she moved around her side to unload their meager supplies from her back. While they had no proper saddle, during their time on the run Kyoko had managed to cobble together a system of leather straps that could both help stabilize her in the air and allowed them to tie a few packs to Se'zeh's back.

Of course, it didn't do much to help the way Se'zeh's scales rubbed the insides of her legs raw after so long in the air. She realized sort of vaguely that she was actually bleeding--again. Great.

Scenting the blood, her partner crooned low in her throat and lowered her head, tilting her chin down slightly so she could meet Kyoko's eyes before nudging her head forward to press her muzzle against the young woman's brow.

"Oh, easy there, easy. I'm fine," she hastened to assure the young dragon. "It's happened before, right? I'll just wrap myself up and take a bit of rest. We can probably spare a few hours, yeah?"

Se'zeh rumbled an agreement, pulling her head back so she could arch her neck and crack her jaws open slightly, scenting the air. Kyoko set to searching their packs for some healing supplies, coming up with thin linen bandages and a salve that she'd been making herself whenever she managed to collect the proper herbs.

Her partner rumbled again, a worried sound, and she lifted her head to look in the direction the dragoness's attention had been drawn. "What? The town?"

Se'zeh nodded, lip curled in a silent snarl.

Kyoko smiled, trying to look reassuring. She wasn't quite sure if she managed it. "It's far enough off that I don't think we need to worry--and it was too dark when we flew over for anyone to see us. It's okay."

Calianne

The sun was still hours from cresting the horizon when gryphon and rider took to the sky, their departure silent and swift as shadows, leaving none bar the Rat wiser to their presence in the town.

It had taken some time to extract all he had needed to know, but Elyon felt better having left with every kernel of information that his informant had been made privy to in the tavern. Of course, he might have lost valuable time where they could have located the bounty, but considering the situation, Elyon was fairly certain that both girl and dragon were exhausted in their mad dash for freedom, otherwise the knights would not have been as relaxed about the situation as the Rat had reported them to be.

The question still remained as to where exactly the fugitives had disappeared to, however. Erebos suspected, considering the location and manner of their escape, that the two had probably chosen to disappear within the vast peaks and pines of the Thunderblack Mountains, which, unfortunately, did little to help them, considering the size of the mountains. But still, it was a starting point, and, not for the first time, Eli counted himself lucky for the fact that his companions possessed wings.

Unfortunately, so did their quarry.

Which led to his conundrum: How much time did they have before dragon and rider made it over the borders of Adela? He had no doubt that they would have to rest at some point, but dragons were resilient creatures, and if the Rat spoke true, so were former slaves.

'This does not feel right, Min'rah.'It was the first words Erebos had spoken since the Rat's departure, and despite having accepted the job, Eli had to agree with his friend. The two of them had not become bounty hunters in order to recapture fleeing slaves, or, gods forbid, murder them for trying to find freedom.

He shifted uneasily in his saddle, trying to shrug away the feelings of guilt that had been assailing him since he agreed to capture the runaways, and scowled heavily when he found he was unable to do so. It's just another job, Eli. Just catch the two and get the reward, you've done it many times before. He raked a hand through his tawny hair, wincing at the knots that had accumulated in their flight, and yanked in frustration at a particularly stubborn one, wishing he had taken the time to have his hair sheared before he had left Essyrn two weeks prior. Now it flew behind him in a wild tangle of bronze and gold, a banner of unruliness that he knew would be unmanageable when they landed.

'It's what we do, Erebos. No sense in making exceptions for every slave that manages to run away from their masters. We'd be the laughing stock of Le'Raana if we sympathized with all of our charges...and we'd be penniless to boot.' Shifting back restlessly, Eli trained his sharp gaze on the black tops of the pines beneath them, almost indiscernible in the darkness of the early morning. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see that Erebos had shifted his head towards him, and was regarding him with that cool yellow gaze of his, his mind silent, his avian eyes assessing. Elyon turned to face him, glaring indignantly at the gryphon. 'What? Why are you looking at me like that? You enjoy the payouts just as much as I do, don't you? And I'm sure they weren't slaves to the Military without good reason. It's our job to ensure criminals like them get the justice they deserve, Erebos. So just...just focus on finding them, okay? We can talk about this afterwards.'

For a second, he thought Erebos might bite him for his callousness, but the gryphon only stared, aghast, before shaking his head in derision and turning to face resolutely forward, the only discernible movement the steady flaps of his wings, and the long, slow sweeps of his leonine tail as he steered them through the sky. From Erebos, no further word came, and Eli soon realized that he was being ignored.

'Fine, then, be that way. See if I care?' His reaction was childlike and petulant, but at that moment Elyon was too inflamed to admit it, and even less inclined to address it. He knew his reaction had been more akin to his father than himself, and he knew he owed his gryphon an apology, but knowing that and acting upon it was two different horses to saddle, and his pride was too big of a mountain to climb in order for him to admit that what he had said, what he was planning on doing, was in the wrong. And he would have to live with the consequences that his obstinacy had wrought.

So they flew on in silence until the sun finally crested over the mountain peaks, the gryphon and his rider, festering in their self-imposed solitude as they flew in ever-increasing, concentric circles, avian eyes missing nothing as their hunt for the fugitive dragon and rider continued.

And inside Eli a terrible feeling of guilt reared its ugly head, gnawing at his conscience as he mulled over just what exactly he was going to do when they found them.

Aye...what indeed?

DragonSong

Ultimately, they decided they couldn't risk staying in one place longer than a few hours--but that still meant they had the chance to get some sleep, which Kyoko insisted Se'zeh do, despite the dragon's reluctance to leave her unguarded.

Eventually, the young dragoness subsided and curved her body into a crescent among the roots of one of the larger trees. It took her a while to actually fall asleep, but eventually Kyoko saw her eyelids droop, then fall closed entirely, and she released a soft, sulfurous breath as she--finally--relaxed.

Kyoko smiled and settled herself into the curve of her partner's belly, resting back against the softer scales and drawing one knee up to her chest. Her head tilted back and she let out a long, low breath of her own, eyes searching for the stars in the gaps between the branches above their heads.

Filias, the loyal soldier. She traced the shape of the constellation with her eyes, a small smile quirking up on one side of her mouth. The Ocean Master, her Trident... Oh, there's Shadowblack! We must be further north than I'd realized...

A sharp wind cut through their little copse and she shivered, huddling closer to Se'zeh's belly. Gods, she would have killed to light a fire, but they couldn't risk giving away their position. Luckily, Se'zeh was warm enough that she knew she wouldn't freeze during the night--although she wasn't sure if that would be the case as they climbed higher into the Thunderblacks.

Hopefully by that point they could actually risk a fire every so often.

"Gods." Kyoko let her head lull to the side and pursed her lips, brow furrowed. Would this ever be over? How far would they have to run until they were safe?

Se'zeh shifted in her sleep, curling a little tighter around her and tilting her head slightly off her paws so that her muzzle pressed against Kyoko's outstretched  leg. The young woman started a bit and looked down at her, then smiled. She let her hand come to rest on the dragoness's brow, a rush of affection and protectiveness rising up in her chest.

It didn't matter if they had to run for the rest of their lives. It was worth it.

Calianne

The laboriously slow sweeps of wide wings were the only motion to be seen in the vast grey sky, the flying forms of gryphon and rider nothing more than black dots against the gargantuan structures of the Alto cumulus clouds that shrouded the horizon in mountainous pillars of condensed water and bone-breaking gales.

They had been combing the forest floor for what seemed like ages when the storm clouds had started rolling in like ominous and dark omens, and still, motivated by the knowledge that their quarry would not stay still too long, they had continued with their search where any other sane being would have sought safety. They had been mostly content with keeping just beneath the clouds at first, well-away from the stronger air-currents in a bid to avoid detection from the ground, and then the Adelan knights had started their own hunt –disaster becoming apparent as more than a few of the knights took the sky with their own fire-breathing mounts. Erebos had, against Eli's protestation, climbed up to the highest reaches of the atmosphere to avoid detection from the dragons that now scoured the sky beneath them, wings in all sizes and shapes creating swirling eddies of wind that played with the pines, bending and twisting them until it seemed like nothing more than ripples on a vast emerald lake.

The Rat had made it clear that, whilst the knights hunted the girl and her dragon in retribution, they were in a race for the reward as well, and as such making themselves known as fellow bounty hunters would only lead to treachery and, ultimately, their demise. This led to Erebos making the decision that braving the elements had a greater chance of survival than the wrath of a battalion of dragons and their riders. A decision that Eli had found entirely reasonable, until the first few gales had buffeted them.

After that first, breathtakingly powerful blast, Eli had found himself wishing for the dragons. At least that was an opponent he could anticipate.

At first, there had been little trouble but for the occasional updraft, and the two had, in silence, soared high above the jagged peaks and valleys of the Thunderblacks, as the gryphon used his enhanced eyesight to scour the forest floor to try to spot the fugitives. There had been the occasional frights as some of the more deceptively strong jets of air had sent them spiraling through the air to the edges of breathable atmosphere, but Erebos had always been a gifted flyer, and with some perseverance had navigated them to safety once more. This pattern went on intermittently as they continued their search throughout the day, noting nothing but wildlife and the occasional settlement, until just a few hours shy of noon, when the dragons had suddenly and inexplicably veered back towards the town.

This was most peculiar, and led, at last, to Eli sending the first tentative wisps of thought to his struggling and exhausted companion. ' Do you...would you say they saw something that we didn't?'

He finally voiced the niggling concern that had been in the back of their minds ever since the start of the hunt, his voice halting and uncharacteristically unsure.

It took Erebos some time to respond, and when he did, his voice sounded so exhausted, so weak, that Elyon's concern felt like lead in his stomach.

'Nay. This one smells the thunder...' he drew in a deep, raspy breath, and a visible tremor ran the length of his wings, from shoulder to pinions, and for a second the two dipped alarmingly, before, with a jerky lurch, Erebos steadied his wings, shaking his head in a bid to clear his fogging mind, ', we cannot turn back, try as we might, and this one cannot out fly the storm back to sanctuary.'

'Can we land in the mountains, do you think? I think I saw a clearing a few miles back?' Eli twisted in the saddle, straining his head over Erebos's flank to see if he could still see the gap in the trees, but the only thing visible was the growing agitation of treetops as the wind started picking up with the encroaching storm. Dejected, he turned forward once more, just in time to see the incandescent glare of lightning as it cut through the darkness like a hot knife through butter, leaving white forks of light imprinted behind his eyelids. Beneath him, he felt Erebos tensing, just as the ear shattering BOOM cut through the air. In the far distance, Eli could see large sheets of rain start sweeping towards the ground, and a stark terror made itself home in the hummingbird-beats of his heart.

Erebos, grim and weary, banked sharply to the left, and started angling them to some point only he could see, his wings tucked tightly to his body, every inch tense and strained as he pushed his weary body to the extremes. Eli could do nothing but duck his head behind Erebos's, burying his face in the soft, downy feathers of his neck as his hands turned white knuckled on the saddle horn. Even so, both of them knew that this would be a close brush with death indeed.

For an endless moment, all Elyon knew was the biting sheets of wind that clawed at his exposed skin as they plummeted towards the ground, and screwed his eyes shut as the wind stole every last drop of moisture from them. His heart went out to Erebos, who had to endure the lashing in order to get them safely to the ground, and he rubbed his face slightly in the gryphon's neck, hoping he would understand the gesture of comfort and encouragement.

And then, just as soon as it started, Erebos suddenly unfurled his massive wings, pinions flared wide, and stroked down with all of his might as he tried to wrest free from gravity's momentum.

For a single, terrifying moment, gryphon and rider hung suspended in the air, and through their bond Eli felt the agony as Erebos's tendons strained and threatened to tear from the downward force exerted upon them, something that would surely send them plummeting to their death. Fortunately...finally, Erebos managed to stroke his wings downwards, and labored again to curve them back up. This continued until Erebos had mastery of his wings once more, and started glided slowly to the clearing Eli had mentioned, now only a few miles from them.

Elyon, deciding that the worst was over, slowly lifted his wind streaked face from his gryphon's neck, and blinked wearily as he tried to gauge their surroundings.

They were flying just above the swaying treetops now, and the storm, whilst still menacingly close, was far away that they were out of the immediate danger. That being said, they would have to land soon, he thought as he raked a critical gaze over his companions body. The storm might not be an immediate concern, but Eli doubted that Erebos would survive much longer in the sky. Already he felt the gryphon slowing, his flight irregular and jerky, and when he tried to reach out mentally, he found only gray emptiness.

'You flew well, old friend.' He reached a comforting hand towards the gryphon's neck, rubbing it soothingly, hoping Erebos would recover from this. 'Just a bit more. Just a little bit more, and then you can sleep. You can sleep as long as you like, then. I promise.

Erebos didn't even react.

Turning his teary gaze away, he fixed it determinedly on the opening in the trees that was approaching, and inside of him, anger bloomed, like a dark and deadly flower.

'Their fault. Those damned fugitives were responsible for this, and when he got his hands on them, there would be hell to pay.' His mouth set in a grim line, his eyes searing in intensity, Elyon promised then and there that the two would die by his own hand, his own sword, if this hunt had led to Erebos being injured or, goddess forbid, if it led to his companion's death.

And Elyon Falchor always kept his promises.

DragonSong

The first crack of thunder jolted both dragon and woman awake; Kyoko hadn't even realized she'd fallen asleep, the exhaustion so bone deep that it felt as if she'd just closed her eyes one moment, and then the next the sky was rent open above them and she was dragged harshly and unceremoniously back into consciousness.

Se'zeh gave a high, sharp cry and bolted up onto her feet, tail lashing and head lowered defensively close to the ground, instinctively protecting her throat and vulnerable underbelly. The sudden movement send Kyoko tumbling over the ground, and she soon found herself soaked through with rain and streaked in mud as she scrambled back to her feet.

"It's okay, it's okay," she tried to sooth the young dragon, reaching out to her with both hands so she could cup the bottom of her muzzle in her palm while the other hand stroked gently over her brow. "It's a storm, Se'zeh, just a storm, it's alright," she murmured, over and over even as the rain began to fall in sheets around them.

Gradually, the dragoness seemed to come back to herself, blinking down at her and crooning low in her throat, a sheepish apology. Her wings came around them, a tent of sharply angled bone and slightly scaly membrane, keeping them both relatively safe from the deluge.

"I know, sweetling," Kyoko cooed to her quietly, rubbing the ridge of scales just over her eye in the way that she knew Se'zeh loved. "It's okay, I'm right here..."

Another crack of thunder made Se'zeh jolt, head jerking up slightly and eyes wide with fear, every line of her body going sharp and tense. Kyoko managed to duck out of the way in time to avoid being bowled over again, and quickly pressed herself under the dragon's neck and against her chest, letting her cheek rest against the warm, smooth scales as she wrapped her arms up and around her neck as far as she could go.

It was easy to forget how small Se'zeh really was for a dragon of her breed and age. Most of her kind would have been as big as a house by the time they reached seven, easily large and strong enough to carry a passenger or two and quite a bit of gear. But Se'zeh was only two or three times the size of a large horse, and though her wings were wider and longer than typical, allowing her to fly for impressive stretches, she couldn't carry much more than Kyoko's weight and their two packs without fatiguing herself.

Comparatively, she really was small, which instilled an instinctive fear in her of pretty much anything new and potentially threatening. In the wild she most likely never would have made it to seven--her clutchmates or even her parents would have bullied her from the nest, perhaps killed her outright, if she'd managed to hatch at all.

She was small, and she was young; though Adelan dragons bred for the dragonrider corp grew quickly physically, their mental age still matched those of their wild cousins, for the most part. In dragon terms, Se'zeh was little more than a child, terrified of the thunder and what it might bring.

So Kyoko held her as best she could and stroked a hand over her scales soothingly, murmuring reassuring nonsense until she felt some of the tension begin to bleed from her body. "You're alright, girl, you're alright," Kyoko told her as she felt her beginning to calm down again. "I've got you, okay? I'm not going to let anything happen to you, I won't let anything hurt you..."

Both dragon and rider were so absorbed in their own thoughts, and the storm was so overwhelming to their senses, that neither noticed the danger rapidly approaching.

Calianne

Their landing, if one could call it that, was sloppy at best. They had missed the clearing by half a league as Erebos, weary beyond even physical measure, descended dizzyingly into the bowels of the writhing forest of trees beneath them. In his state, it had been a wonder to Eli that he had been able to manage even that. However, with the added lashing of the branches and leaves, Erebos's  wings gave up halfway to the ground and, with a sickening lurch that had left acid in his throat, they had tumbled the last few feet to the ground, spinning so fast as branch after branch upended them that soon Eli wasn't sure what was ground and what was sky.

And then, as lightning forked once more from within the broiling gray clouds, gryphon and rider collided with the ground, the crash silenced effectively by the loud BOOM of thunder that succeeded the incandescent lightning that had streaked the air moments before. In the back of his mind, Eli was aware that the sounder of thunder had come much quicker after the lightning this time round.

The storm was closing in, and if the gargantuan gathering of clouds had been any indication of its strength, it was going to be a bruiser.

Blinking his eyes wearily, Elyon tried to lift his body from its prone position in the dirt, only to stop, groaning painfully, as he accidentally shifted the leaden weight of his gryphon that now lay sprawled on top his lower body. Falling back with a huff, Eli tried to reach out to Erebos both mentally and physically, probing the vast consciousness of the gryphon whilst his hand insistently shook the shoulder under which he was trapped. The shaking helped only in alleviating the weight some as it shifted the large body downwards a few inches, but other than that, neither method of communication seemed to have any impact on Erebos. If it wasn't for the raspy, labored breathes he could feel Erebos taking, Eli would have thought his companion dead.

The thought had his heart clenching as if in a vise, and stubbornly, desperately, Eli stuffed the thought into a dark, forgotten corner of his mind, unwilling to even entertain the idea, before turning his attention back to the situation at hand.

The fall had been pretty bad, considering the myriad of pain receptors firing off in his brain, but so far he didn't think he had suffered any long-lasting damage, and despite the pounding headache that beat at the back of his eyes with tiny hammers, he couldn't detect any skull injury, which was a miracle in itself, seeing as he had hit the ground head first. They must have gotten turned wrong-side-up during the fall, he mused to himself silently, before slowly heaving his torso up from its prone position, surveying the scene around him with bleary blue eyes as he balanced his weight on one forearm, the other trapped in a tangle of leather straps under one of Erebos's massive wings that he had grabbed during the fall. The gryphon had fallen, belly up, on the lower half of his body, his right wing pinned painfully under the weight of his body whilst the left lay curled around the side of Elyon.

He must have tried to protect me from the fall.

A fierce surge of love welled up inside of his heart as he gazed at the gryphon with whom he had soul-bonded with almost ten winters ago, realizing the depth of his devotion to this strange creature. He would die for Erebos, and he knew Erebos would die for him, and almost had, he thought sorrowfully as he swept his gaze over the ungainly heap of tawny red feathers that was his friend.

All over some stupid bounty.

This is the last one, Min'rah. After this we're done, I swear.

The gryphon did not respond, as Eli had known, but the promise had been made all the same, and he meant it with every fibre of his being. And so, with grim resolution infusing his every fibre of being, Eli strained hard against the weight of the unconscious gryphon, leaning forward as he grabbed awkwardly at his leg, tugging mightily as he tried to wrest it free. It took some time and, by the time his right leg was free from the confining weight, sweat, and the first droplets of rain had started sliding down his face.

Frowning determinedly, he settled his booted foot against the molded side of his saddle and pushed, his every muscle straining as he wrestled the trapped limb to freedom, before he fell back to the ground once more, exhausted and panting from the exertion. He tried to stop squirming when the feeling started to return to the limbs, wincing as phantom needles pierced in the wake of the returning blood flow, before sitting up tiredly, tugging uselessly at his still-trapped arm, as the rain started falling in earnest around them.

When the sound of distant movement came drifting through the din of falling raindrops, Eli immediately dismissed it as some occupant of the Thunderblacks scurrying through the underbrush in search of sanctuary. It was only when he heard it again, louder this time, that Eli frowned, training his ears in the direction he though he heard the sound from. For a beat, all he could hear was the soft, insistent patter of rain on soil and his and Erebos's labored breathing, until...

There!

His head swiveled, fast as lightning, to the spot he had heard the sound from.  His sight, he knew, would be rendered ineffective due to the dense foliage and barrage of rain that obscured his vision, but, thanks to the strange effects granted to him through the bond, most of his senses had been inordinately heightened, so he knew sight would not be his problem. A trapped arm was, though, he thought sourly as he tugged with renewed fervor at the bonds with had tangled around his appendage like the coils of a snake, all the while keeping his senses trained on the location he had heard the noise from. If his sense of direction had not abandoned him, he was mostly certain that the movements had originated from the clearing just south of their current position – the clearing, Eli noted with some trepidation, that he and Erebos had been aiming for in their mad dash to escape the brutal gales that preceded the Thunderstorm that was now testing the might of its fury against the ancient strength of the Mountains.

So focused was he on the clearing and sounds, that he almost didn't realize that the bonds on his arms had loosened sufficiently to drag it out from beneath the weight of his gryphon's wing. However, when the next tug sent him sprawling sideways next to the unconscious gryphon, this fact was made known to him with painful clarity, as his shoulder slipped neatly from its socket, nearly blinding Eli with pain.

He barely had time to stuff his fist in his mouth before a pained groan rumbled from his throat, and for a dazed few seconds he lay there, staring up at the trees that stretched towards the sky, rain splattering on his face until he had to squeeze his eyes shut to keep them from being filled. His chest rose and fell in great, heaving bellows as he tried to get enough air into his brain in a bid to start thinking past the pain, counting each inhalation in order to calm himself.

'Yan.. this bloody hell hurts...tan...tethera..., he continued until a semblance of calm settled over his mind, before, with a swift forward jerk of his injured wrist, he popped the shoulder joint back into place, biting his tongue so hard that the metallic tang of blood soon filled his mouth. Relief, pure, blessed relief, came soon after, and with a weary sigh he sat his body slowly up, taking special care to avoid using the injured arm. It took some doing, but with effort and determination (and no small amount of cursing), Eli soon found himself swaying unsurely on his feet, scanning the saddle for the telltale glint of his long sword. The sword, sensing its master's gaze, came alive with a soft humming whirr, and Eli's gaze fell upon the steel just as a red spark ran the entire length of the blade, barely visible within the confines of the leather scabbard.

His face twisting in a grimace, hair matted with mud and wet leaves and his clothing probably in a similar state, Eli walked slowly towards the blade, leaning over to grasp the hand-and-a-half grip before drawing it smoothly from the embossed leather, and regarded his blade with cool blue eyes. The blade, inhabited as it was by the soul of a long dead berserker, turned a deep, muted red as it fed some strength into its wielder's flagging reserves, before waiting, restlessly, for its master's command.

After a last, cursory glance at his unconscious friend, Eli turned towards the south and whatever manner of being that laid waiting within the clearing, his mind filled with curiosity and the crystal clarity of a predator on the hunt.

'Let us go see what secrets this mountain holds, old friend.' In his palm, a sharp tingle was the only response given to him by the sword, and so bolstered, man and sword crept towards the tree line, and whatever waited within.

DragonSong

The crack of twigs underfoot was so faint, so dulled by the rain, that Kyoko never would have heard it.

But Se'zeh did, even through the sheets of rain now all but pummeling down around them, and her head snapped up, jerking around to glare at where the noise had sounded through the trees. Kyoko instantly tensed, following the dragon's gaze to peer warily into the trees.

"What is it?" she whispered, dropping her arms from around Se'zeh's neck and taking a cautious step back, her eyes flicking around the clearing for something she could use as a weapon--because of course she didn't have one, had never even learned to use one if she did. Slaves weren't allowed to carry swords.

Probably just an animal, running from the storm, she tried to tell herself, but she didn't believe it.

She especially didn't believe it when Se'zeh let her head swing low toward the ground again and flared her wings wider, trying to make herself seem bigger, and gave a low, threatening growl from deep in her chest.

It would have probably been quite intimidating for anyone who didn't know the young dragon, but Kyoko could tell that she was terrified.

Cursing silently, the young woman doze to the wet earth and came up with a reasonably sturdy branch, hefting it threateningly as she took a defensive stance in front of her dragon and waited. Fear that was rapidly approaching panic clawed at her heart, quickened her breathing, but she refused to back down. Not if they'd come to take Se'zeh.

Whoever or whatever "they" were.

Calianne

If it wasn't for the low growl that came rumbling from the clearing in front of him, Elyon would have walked right into the fugitives, and most possibly into a very unhappy fate. As it were, the growl had been warning enough, and now Eli crouched, silently observing the tense pair at the far side of the clearing as they scanned the area he had vacated mere minutes ago. The rain, still falling in heavy sheets, obscured much from his vision, but even a half-blind fool would have recognized a dragon standing so close to him, and whilst the fool aspect was debatable, Elyon was most certainly not any form of blind.

He had gaped disbelievingly when he first beheld the girl, her ridiculous branch raised threateningly, as she stood protectively in front of the dark form of her dragon.  A dragon, Eli had noted with some interest, that was scarcely the size of his own gryphon, which was somewhat strange seeing as it appeared to be fully grown.

Must be the runt of the litter then, he thought, feeling better about his chances already. Oh, he wasn't going to be foolish enough to attack the pair head on, as even a hatchling dragon could pose a threat if provoked, but the girl held some promise. If he could separate her from the dragon, she might prove useful in subduing it.

He raked his eyes over her body, dismissing the initial attraction as he appreciated her female form, and surmised that the girl would most likely throw herself heedlessly into harm's way if it meant protecting the puffed up serpent behind her, like a lioness protecting her cub. It was all rather predictable, really. He had danced the steps to this particular dance many times over, and his dance partners rarely deviated from the patterns. He was very sure this girl and her dragon would not become the exception to the rule, but he wasn't going to be a fool about this and count his chicks before they hatched, the chicks, in this scenario, being a very, very lucrative payout that would see him and Erebos well compensated for their trouble.

In any case, he usually had Erebos with him when he attempted a capture, so this situation was already different, and in his line of profession, different was definitely not a good thing. It was no matter though, he was a trained warrior thanks to his father (may he rot in a maggoty grave for all eternity), and it would be a very cold day in Essyrn before he allowed this slip of a girl and her runtling to best him, no matter the situation.

A thrill of anticipation surged up his spine, and he had to hold himself back from just rushing in like a Neanderthal, and instead he forced himself to grow even quieter, stilling his breaths as he raised himself from his squatting position, his left arm clutched tightly to his body, whilst his right hand flexed around the leather grip of his sword. Taking a deep, fortifying breath, Eli stepped slowly from behind the protective cover of the trees, keeping his steps light to avoid his boots from squelching in the mud.

The tree he had chosen was situated about a stone's throw from the natural tree barrier, and would prove useful if the dragon tried to rush at him... or roast him, seeing as he had yet to ascertain if the dragon itself was of the roasting variety or not, but he would rather not find out the hard way if it could be helped. Upon reaching the tree, he made sure that his sword was held as non-threateningly as possible, the tip pointed loosely towards the ground as he leaned his shoulder against the wet bark of the tree, the picture of arrogant male, before finally addressing the two, his voice carrying the studied air of disinterest and nonchalance.

"Well, well... you two make quite the bedraggled pair, don't you?"

DragonSong

Se'zeh's head swung around toward the sound of footsteps and she growled again, the gold markings that swirled over her scales seeming to shimmer for a moment as she shifted beneath the onslaught of rain.

Kyoko raised her branch a little higher, eyes narrowed both in wariness and in an effort to get a clearer picture of the threat through the light gray sheets of water.

A man, someone she didn't recognize, leaning against a tree out in the middle of the woods in the midst of a storm, trying to come across as nonchalant. Right. Like she was buying that. No one should be out here, not unless they had a very specific reason.

Lip curled in the beginnings of a snarl, Kyoko spat, "Stay the hells back. You have no idea what you're dealing with here."

It was definitely a bluff, but she hoped it might earn at least a moment or two of pause from the stranger. She backed up another step, sliding her free hand behind her back to gesture frantically at Se'zeh: Go, get out of here, fly!

The young dragon growled again and shook her head, a silent snarl curving at her own lips. Her consciousness brushed against the edges of Kyoko's, terrified but adamant. She was staying.

Beneath the desire to stay and protect her rider, Kyoko could feel a hint of Se'zeh's persistent fear of the storm, and the knowledge that if she tried to fly in this, she risked serious injury, or even death. The ex-slave gritted her teeth. It seemed they were confined to the ground--which might as well have been a death sentence.

Although...it was just one man. Sure, she was untrained, and Se'zeh was young and small, but she was still a gods-be-damned dragon.

Kyoko swung the branch in front of her body, carving out a range of attack in front of her body, hoping to any gods that might exist that she looked even just the slightest bit threatening. "Just...just back off. Go away, leave us alone," she hissed, tossing her hair and swiping at her eyes in an effort to clear some of the impediment of the rain.

Calianne

For a moment, Eli almost pitied the two of them as they strove so valiantly to appear as a formidable foe. Truly, his heart went out to their plight, and in any other situation he would have helped them out of sympathy alone. The moment fled soon after, as he reminded himself that it was their escape that had led to Erebos's current state. The girl, for Eli was pretty sure she was still too young to be classified as a woman, looked about as threatening as a kitten, as her ineptitude was made apparent due to the haphazard swinging of her stick.

In her defense, it was a very big stick.

A boyish grin swept over his face fleetingly, to devastating effect, as the weariness was replaced by the same roguishly handsome face that had won over many a heart during his travels, before settling into a mocking half-smirk. Internally, he was mentally chortling at the scene in front of him, but sobered up quickly when he beheld the rather sharp teeth hidden inside the dragon's maw.

'Definitely don't want to be caught between those bad boys'

Pushing himself slowly from the tree, his injured arm twinging worryingly, Eli started walking, nei, swaggering, towards the two, lifting his sword slowly to give it an effortless twirl of his own, his way of saying 'swing your stick all you want, darling, but you know you're in over your head'. Of course, his father had always said he looked like a preening peacock when he tried to show off, but Eli was confident that his years as a bounty hunter had refined his scare tactics to less peacock-y proportions.

Stopping maybe a yard from the girl, Eli raked a critical gaze over her and her dragon once more now that he could see them a bit clearer. The dragon was indeed rather small for its species, but all of its limbs seemed to be well in proportion. 'Almost all of its limbs', he thought, inspecting the raised wings, noting their size in comparison to the bulk of its body. Eli was sure this dragon would be a demon in a race, and was perversely relieved at the strength of the storm above them, as it forced the two to stay grounded. In the gloom of the downpour, he couldn't be sure if its scales was black or blue in color, but the intricate gold markings were rather visible, and it was actually quite pretty, all things considered.

The girl was, to his surprise, also quite pleasant to look at, even if she looked like a drowned cat with her wet, stringy hair and sodden clothes. She was on the taller side of short, but not unpleasantly so, and for a second Eli felt a twinge of remorse that he would have to turn her in. That reminded him...

Cocking a hip, Eli swung the sword up until the flat of the blade rested on his shoulder, and regarded the two for a long moment, enjoying watching them squirm, before leaning his head forward slightly, as if to confide some great secret in the two of them. He locked his bright blue gaze with her dark ones, his mouth still set in that cocky smirk.

"Now, that's no way to greet a stranger, kitten. Frankly, I'm quite hurt.", his voice he kept light and conversational on purpose, before his devastating grin swept over his face once more. Erebos would be firmly reprimanding him at this point, as he always did, despite the fact that he always played with his food regardless of Eli's admonishment, so Eli rarely minded his advice on this particular stage of the capture.

"Actually, I was hoping the two of you might be able to help me with something. You see, I'm looking for an escaped slave that's been rumoured to be in the area, not that I care much myself, truthfully, but apparently this little slave went and stole a dragon," he made his eyes go exaggeratingly wide as he regarded the girl and her companion, before continuing, his voice taking on a crueler, mocking edge, "why, the two of you wouldn't happen to know anything about this, would you?"

DragonSong

Kitten.

Kitten?

I'll show you "kitten" you arrogant, condescending, pompous sonnuva--

In different circumstances, Kyoko was willing to admit she might have given the bounty hunter--which she was fairly certain at this point the stranger was--a second glance if she saw him in passing; and he had the air of someone who knew it too. Cocksure to the point of, hopefully, underestimating her.

...Not that there was a whole lot of underestimating to really be done at the moment, but still.

Se'zeh snarled again, needle teeth glinting in a sudden flash of lightning, and Kyoko's eyes narrowed further. Her gaze kept flicking back to the edge of his blade, constantly aware of the danger, constantly ready to flee at a moment's notice.

Or she would have been, if it hadn't meant leaving Se'zeh unprotected.

As he continued to talk, taunting her, she sort of tuned him out, eyes flickering passed him to the treeline, then back, calculating, judging the distance. If I can keep his attention on me she can make a break for it, then I can bolt the other direction. He'll have to choose; a dragon is more valuable than a slave, he'll go after Se'zeh, which means I could sneak around and try to get the drop on him...

It was a plan, if a risky one. And relied on the assumption that he was alone--which she was pretty sure he was.

He'd stopped talking, asking her if she'd seen an escaped slave and stolen dragon, and her eyes snapped back to him. Projecting her idea to Se'zeh as clearly and succinctly as she could manage, Kyoko snapped back, "If you think I stole anything, you know nothing about dragons. Se'zeh is here because she wants to be."

Behind her, Se'zeh almost seemed to undercut what she was saying, jerking her head back and swinging her neck around in a wide, protesting arc. She looked down at Kyoko with open panic, though a person unfamiliar with dragons probably wouldn't have recognized the narrowed eyes and twitching tail for what they were. She didn't want to leave her, she couldn't leave her.

Kyoko gritted her teeth. This isn't up for debate. You have to go, NOW!

Without waiting for a response, the young woman sudden threw herself forward with a shout, feinted left, then cut right with the quick reflexes honed from growing up learning how to avoid a slap or a kick. Using her momentum, she swung the stick around in an attempt to crack the bounty hunter upside the head, snarling, "This kitten's got claws, asshole."

The second she started to move, Se'zeh was darting for the trees, wings folded in tight to her sides and head lowered in an effort to cut through the wind and rain. She gave a low, mournful sort of call as Kyoko glanced to her, slowing slightly, but her rider shouted above a sudden crack of thunder, "Go, just go, run!"

Attention snapping quickly back to her opponent she hefted the stick again, hoping to keep his focus on her as long as possible.

Calianne

There comes a moment in any man's life when he will be faced by the snarling visage of a woman in anger. As it was, due to Eli's propensity to delight in the female flesh, he had, ostensibly, encountered this problem on many, many occasions during his life. Of course, the women in question rarely rushed at him like a mad banshee, swinging a branch, as she shouted all manner of things at him... All right, perhaps the latter was more common than he would like to admit, but, alas, what was a man to do?

The rest of his internal debate was soon swallowed as he caught movement out of the corner of his eye, and, wary of the danger that the girl's dragon could posses in close combat, Eli swung his eyes towards it. And starting cursing.

Explosively.

He swallowed the rest of the litany of curses that begged to follow, as his eyes tracked the dragon loping towards the forest line, and thought, unhappily, of having to trek through the mud and rain to capture it. But first he would have to deal with the spitfire rushing towards him, before he could even consider tracking down the creature that actually, well, spat fire.

The girl, her eyes afire in the darkness, was soon upon him, as she darted her form first to the right, before suddenly changing direction mid-stride, heaving the heavy branch mightily at his head.

'By the gods! This banshee is an acidic little thing, isn't she?', he thought incredulously, his body tense as a jungle cat's as he side-stepped the upward trajectory of the branch, his mind racing as he tried to assess the options before him. She was, fortunately for him, rather unskilled in combat, an assumption he based off the fact that she was leaving her body entirely too unprotected as she attacked him with every bit of her resolve etched onto her face. Well, that, and she had unbalanced herself completely when she swung the branch, which was a common mistake many untrained soldiers made when caught up in the heat of a battle by leaning their entire weight into an attack.

She was fast though, and this would pose a bit of a challenge, unskilled or not. 

His father's voice suddenly rushed into his mind, his muscles reacting as all the years of training forced his body to lean away from the next hit. "All right, boy. Now, when fighting a smaller opponent, speed will always be against you, so you must use that against them," his father's voice, deep and gravelly as always, filled his head as the scene took shape inside of his mind. He could almost make out the large stone courtyard where his father had spent many years instilling in him the rigorous methods of combat and survival that he himself had endured when training to be a knight. He remembered himself as he was then, young, impressionable, barely a lad of ten, and still thinking of his father as the greatest hero that would ever live. That would change soon after, Eli remembered, but for that day, Rikkard Falchor had been his world, and he would have done most anything to please him. Eli remembered himself peering quizzically up at his father, remembered the questions that followed, remembered the grueling lessons on the various methods to defend and attack against a smaller opponent, and he knew, as a sparrow knew instinctively how to fly, what it was that he had to do to next. The memory faded, and Eli felt his mind clear as all of his attention focused on the lithe figure in front of him, branch raised threateningly as she tried frantically to keep his attention on her, before swinging at him once more.

She was moving too fast, but he was going to use that to his advantage.

He waited for her to reach him, before, at the very last second, jumping out of her way, allowing her forward momentum to carry her past him, before his injured hand darted, quick as a snake, to latch on to her wrist, twisting it neatly behind her back before leaning back slightly and, with a hard tug, he sent the girl careening, shoulder first, into his chest. The branch now lay trapped between them, and with a grim smile, Eli hefted the sword from his shoulder, rotating the blade so that its edge lay horizontal, before he laid the bare steel against the trapped woman's neck.

He was forced to bow his head some to reach her ear, due to the height difference, but delighted in her slightly in-drawn breath when his lips whispered over the shell of her ear. His voice, when he spoke, had by now lost all semblance of the warmth and emotion that it had held moments ago, and he made sure to press the blade hard enough against her neck to make sure she understood that he meant business.

"Now, unless you want this pretty little neck of yours severed from the rest of your body, I would advise you to call back your dragon." He leaned in closer, tightening his grip on her wrist painfully, before continuing, "I grow weary of this game, kitten, and my companion is in need of tending, so I am impatient to get this over with."

DragonSong

For a brief moment, Kyoko thought she might actually be able to snatch the upper hand in this encounter--at least long enough for Se'zeh to make her escape. Though her first swing went wide she whirled with the branch in an attempt to go for the backs of his knees, trying to trip him up just long enough to buy her a few second's head start if she could make a run for it.

His hand moved faster than she could avoid, her balance already thrown off from hefting the branch, and in the span of two breaths she found herself pinned against his chest, arm twisted painfully behind her back. A sharp, instinctive cry cut off when she snapped her mouth shut on it, jaw clenched and eyes spitting fire as he leaned in to whisper in her ear.

She tried to jerk away from him, rage and a bone-deep fear racing up her spine. "Get the fuck off of me, get off!"

Then the blade was against her throat and she went very still, panting lightly. Her eyes darted around the clearing, and she flinched when another crack of thunder and the accompanying lightning abruptly illuminated the storm in sharp relief, just for a moment, before fading to darkness once again.

She could hear Se'zeh moving through the trees behind them, slowing, waiting for her--another mournful little cry shivered through the air and Kyoko had to clench her eyes shut, swallowing back the sudden threat of a sob.

"...I'd rather die," she hissed, twisting as much as she could without causing herself injury. Despite her best effort the sharp edge of the blade still traced a thin line of blood along her neck as she turned her head, and she winced with a soft hiss of pain, but still met and held his eyes.

She wasn't bluffing.

"If you're going to kill me, do it," she spat at him, shaking now with a combination of helpless anger and fear. "I won't send her back there. I won't let you take either of us back, I won't. I'd rather die."

She squeezed her eyes shut, fully expecting the bounty hunter to make good on his promise. I'm sorry, little sister...

The trees beside them seemed to explode into the small clearing as a mass of scales and claws and leathery wings burst through from the forest, screeching like a banshee and whipping her tail in a wide arc aimed for the hunter's legs. Kyoko's eyes snapped open with a gasp as Se'zeh jerked around to face them in a whip-crack movement, her wings arched and teeth bared threateningly as she growled at her rider's captor.

Kyoko's eyes widened. No, no run! You can't fight, you have to run, please, Se'zeh!

The young dragon tossed her head, giving the woman a short, baleful look before she trained her eyes on the bounty hunter again. The growl redoubled and she cracked her jaws open, the barest flicker of heat beginning to shine in their depths.

Kyoko could do nothing but remain frozen where she was. It was clearly a bluff; if Se'zeh flamed, she'd burn her rider as much as her intended target, what with the way he was holding her pinned in front of him. Still, it took a particular brand of courage--or perhaps foolhardiness--to stand down a wrathful dragon, no matter how young and inexperienced the creature might be.

Perhaps the hunter would rethink. He didn't know that Se'zeh had yet to breathe her first true fire... Or that the rain itself would dampen her flame. Maybe she could buy them a moment of surprise, just enough time for Kyoko to twist herself free...

Calianne

'She has such beautiful eyes,' for a long, drawn-out moment, this was the only thought that dominated Eli's mind. They really were beautiful, though. A dark green such as he had never before seen on any creature but the mer's from coastal serendipity, and even they had not looked half as enchanting. Or half as furious. Of course, he would be livid as well if someone held him at sword point, but at least he knew some means of defending himself in such a situation. This girl clearly had no such luxury, as was made clear by the underlying terror etched into the deep, dark recesses of her eyes.

'Aye,  perhaps her  eyes are  indeed enchanted,' he thought, as a fierce rush of pity nearly convinced him to let her go, even as she beseeched him to kill her. It wasn't as if there weren't other bounties in Le'Raana. He and Erebos would just have to go... No! Immediately Eli snapped his gaze away from hers, breaking himself out of the reverie, and just in time too, as a commotion behind him drew his attention to the furious form of the dragon as it broke into the clearing in a flurry of claws and teeth. The tail whipped, lightning fast, at his feet, forcing Eli to stumble back some to avoid being hit – an awkward move as he was forced to shift his captive with him, unwilling as she was. Turning with the beast, he made sure to keep the girl between them at all times, and really hoped that she couldn't feel the wild hammering of his heart through his leather vest.

The dragon, maw wide and threatening, gave another reverberating growl that Eli could feel vibrating inside his bones, and it was only due to intense focus and discipline that he was able to keep himself from showing the tremors that quaked inside of him.

"Erebos, if you can hear me, I could really use your help right now!" Eli projected the thought towards his companion as loud as possible, before shifting his attention back to the situation at hand. The dragon had not moved from its position, but there was no doubt that, had the girl not been stood in front of him, it would have gouged his innards out with those sharp talons in a heartbeat. He was quite sure that the dragon would not dare do anything that would put his rider in harm's way, but even if he could subdue it by threatening the girl's life, it would be near impossible to bind it and the captive with his ropes still tucked away in Erebos's saddle bags. And he highly doubted that they would accommodate him by following him like lambs to slaughter whilst he went to fetch it. And that was to say the pair didn't find a way to escape in the interim.

How long until they figured out that Eli did not actually plan on killing anyone? And how long until the girl realized that the hand holding her was so injured that a sharp enough tug would free her arm, and the branch clasped in it.

"Damn it all to hell, Erebos! Wake up!"

He had no idea how long the stand-off lasted...minutes? Hours? Perhaps it was only a mere moment, but to Eli it felt like eternity, as he kept his gaze locked with the serpentine predator in front of him. Ah well, time to start bluffing, he supposed.

"I truly can't fathom why they would go to all the trouble of finding a pair of escaped runtlings, girl, but you must be rather special by the looks of the bounty on your heads. Now," he shifted his grip slightly to alleviate some pressure on his previously dislocated shoulder, before continuing,"this is how it's going to go - you will tell your...companion over there to stand down." He waited until he was sure he had their full attention before he went on, needing them to believe that he was as ruthless as any other cutthroat out there. "Should you fail to comply, I will be forced to relieve your neck from your body." He fixed his gaze squarely on the dragon, talking to it alone now, "I have no qualms about killing her, but I suspect that this," he pressed the blade a little harder against the girl's neck, hoping that the dragon could smell the blood weeping from the cut, "will be incentive enough for your surrender."

DragonSong

Se'zeh followed his movement with just her eyes, the growl in her chest rising and ebbing in a steady pulse, though never fading. Her claws shifted and flexed in the wet earth, clearly itching to attack but unable to do anything for fear of hurting Kyoko.

Just run, Se'zeh, please, Kyoko begged silently as she met the dragon's eyes.

Se'zeh snorted and arched her neck back, the fire in her throat dying before it could ever really ignite. For a long, heavy moment there was a strange stillness between the three of them, the only sound that of the storm around them. Then the dragoness gave a soft, scratching cry that came from the back of her throat and she lowered her head dejectedly, wings pulled in toward her spine as she bared the back of her neck.

"No!" Kyoko desperately tried to throw herself forward, straining against the bounty hunter's hold as panic surged through her, smothering everything else. "No, run! You have to run--!"

The blade at her neck brought her up short as it bit more deeply into her skin and she frozen, forcing herself not to wince in pain for fear of doing herself further injury. Her whole body trembled, the rain having now thoroughly plastered her clothes and hair to her skin, soaking through her with a bone-deep chill. She could feel the trickle of blood down her neck, the strange, sticky warmth mixing uncomfortably with the chill of the rain.

Se'zeh started forward automatically, then froze again, jaw opened slightly as she tasted Kyoko's blood on the air, even through the rain. Her eyes flickered toward her rider's captor, that growl still present in her throat, her whole body shivering with the repressed tension as she forced herself not to leap at him. She shrank even closer to the ground, wings and tail curled in tight in an effort to make herself seem even smaller.

Kyoko swallowed thickly, wincing in pain as the motion made her throat bob against the sword. She strained further, though she knew it was useless--

Wait.

Her eyes flickered back as she felt the hunter shift, forced to adjust his grip on her again when she pulled forward. It was subtle, almost unnoticeable, but... She knew that shift. She'd suffered enough corrective beatings to recognize a recently dislocated shoulder when she saw it, felt it. Damnit, she should have noticed sooner! She probably would have, if fear and rage hadn't sent her spiraling into panic.

With a nearly inhuman screech she jerked sideways, intentionally pulling on his injured shoulder without pressing herself further against the blade. At the same moment she brought her foot down hard on his opposite instep, hoping to throw off his balance.

It wasn't much, but it was enough. She felt his grip loosen automatically and ducked forward, under the sword--she was forced to drop the branch, but she hardly noticed as she tried to run forward toward Se'zeh, yelling, "Go, go!"