Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Learning How to Survive

Started by ladyhawkca, February 11, 2020, 10:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyhawkca

Drops of morning dew still lightly dotted the ground and the blades of grass wherever the sun had not yet hit. Climbing the gently sloping path up the hill, Freya made her way to a small clearing just outside of Zantaric.

There she sat patiently waiting - with a wax wood quarterstaff that she had chosen from the spoils of the highwaymen job from a few days earlier - in the morning sun on a granite boulder while she waited for both Axindr and Rowan to arrive so that their training could once again begin.

@Kada
@Max!!

Kadakism

Rowan had been up before the sun, climbing up into the boughs of a tree despite her injured arm to watch it rise. The sun was, in many ways, the fire that she knew the best. It spoke to her like candles and hearths did, but it seemed so far away that all she could hear were whispers that she couldn't make out the meaning of.

She saw Freya going up the hill and recalled that they were supposed to be training again today. She took one last look at the gray outline of light where the sun was just starting to peek out from beyond the horizon, and she hopped down from her perch to go join her new friend.

"Good morning, Freya," she said with too much energy to have just woken up. "I see you are up early. We are waiting on Axindr, yes?" While Freya had chosen the staff as her weapon, Rowan had felt the sword that had cut her call to her. Or maybe she just liked the irony of using a weapon that had drawn her blood. Either way, it was easier to use than any two handed weapon, at least until her other arm was more sufficiently healed. She could almost make a full fist again, but her grip was still fairly weak.

Max!!

Axindr had headed out early as well to fly around before first light. He had given himself the rather daunting task of training not one but both of his companions so that they'd be better equipped on the road. To that end he'd opted to keep a sword for himself, even though he didn't particularly need one.

He headed for the meeting spot, landing skillfully near the girls. "Alright we're all here. Hopefully I'll be able to be an effective teacher of the basics at least. But who knows, when you travel you can run into some really skilled people. Unfortunately the best swordsman I know is dead so... yeah. Anyway, we should get started."

ladyhawkca

Freya automatically got to her feet when she heard Rowan approaching. "Good morning, Rowan. I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd come here and wait," Freya explained sheepishly. The witch had tossed and turned all night, restless and anxious. Nightmares of being attack by masked men had been plaguing her ever since she got to Zantaric. "I wa-..."

However, before she could elaborate any further, Axindr arrived - which in a way was a relief since it meant she didn't have to recount the unpleasantness of the night before.

"Hey, Axindr," Freya said in greeting. "We were just talking about you." she admitted as she sort of blanched at his dead swordsman comment.

Kadakism

"Good morning, Axindr," Rowan said, turning her head to where he landed the second before he actually did. She gave him a smile, small and without a lot of energy. "I am ready to get started. I can close my fist on my injured arm, but I think I will have to use my right hand for a bit. So please bear that in mind that I am not using my strongest hand when we practice."

Max!!

"Hopefully just how great I am. Because I'm definitely great," he boasted with that overly confident grin on his face. He casually tossed his sword into the air and caught it by its hilt again.

Axindr nodded to Rowan, eyeing the girl's injured arm. "Well, if you get messed up like that again in a real fight your opponent's not gonna go easy on you. Might as well get used to doing things with your other arm for now. But don't worry, I'll go easy on you."

"Just remember the moves I show you. It's practical, and you can build on it easy enough," he added. And with that he began teaching the two of them what he knew, trying to make it simple to grasp as he did.