Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sundust

Started by quaggan, August 28, 2021, 01:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

Serendipity, Rhuneth decided, was not as fun as people claimed it to be. Oh, the towns were brimming with colour and full of personality; the markets well-stocked with not just curios and mementos, but also some clothes and shoes that were her size, almost enough to tempt her into thievery! Unfortunately, the people were such disappointments. She could never bring her friends along, everyone would drastically overreact and turn hostile at the mere sight of undead flesh. It was so sad and lonely to have to keep her minions away from the fun, and to say farewell to the lively roads. It wasn't like the wilderness of Serendipity wasn't pretty or filled with tasty berries, but it got boring after some time.

Also, her shoes were simply not suited for hiking. Rhuneth was beginning to slowly understand why some of the other halflings elected not to wear any in the first place. She liked cute outfits too much to follow their example, but she was very fed up with her shoes. She was going to replace them the next chance she got!

For now, she would just have to make it to the next town - or a wandering cobbler, if she was lucky. Ugh, days like this one made her wish she was born a Kulshedra or a human with their long legs and limber bodies. She got a piggyback ride from Lillian, her zombie, but she could not keep going for the entire day with a heavy load! Lillian was neither built nor raised for cargo mule purposes!

Perhaps she should just get a wagon and drive it around the world. She could keep her friends hidden inside! But it would require some animals to pull it, and they would probably have to be alive. Rhuneth was not good with caring for the living. She always forgot when to feed them, and the susceptibility to diseases, injuries and exhaustion was just a pain to deal with...

So deep was she in thought, she failed to pick up on someone approaching.

AsherTheElf

Erin was mumbling to themself, their head down as they walked, unknowing of the approaching necromancer until they bumped into the raised and fell to the ground with a soft thud. "I'm sorry." They said in their soft voice, getting up and looking to the two. They seemed unphased by the fact Lillian was a dead-woman-walking, or the fact she was carrying Rhuneth on her back.

quaggan

A small tremor echoed through Lillian's body at the impact. "Oh, sorry!" Rhuneth exclaimed without thinking at the sound of someone's voice. Wait, why would a tree talk? Were even trees in Serendipity magical?

"Lillian, set me down" she requested. The zombie crouched, releasing the hold of her arms. Rhuneth comfortably slid down, smoothing the creases on her dress. She walked a few steps around her friend, pulling the skirts up just in case some of the undergrowth tried catching the fabric. To her surprise, she met not with a tree but a person - a young woman, elven by the look of her.

A heartbeat passed as Rhuneth realized that the unfortunate elf neither scowled at the undead who just walked into her, nor was she brandishing a weapon and charging forward to destroy Lillian. Just that did wonders to set the necromancer's mind at ease and stop her from striking pre-emptively.

Instead, Rhuneth reached to help the elf up - well, as much as she could. "Sorry about that!" she called cheerfully. "Lillian's eyes are a bit decayed, she sometimes has trouble noticing things. And people. And slowly moving chickens."

AsherTheElf

Erin nodded slowly, brushing themself off when they got up. "That's alright." they replied. They studied Lillian. "There's beauty in your art, miss." They complimented, toying with the string lacing their tunic to their body. They looked to Rhuneth and gave her a small smile. "I hope I didn't hurt her, or slow you two down any."

quaggan

Rhuneth's face lit up with an excited smile. "Thank you!" she chirped. "It's so nice to meet someone who appreciates my work! And here I was worried Serendipity was full of people prejudiced against zombies. Honestly, I have no idea why they think the dead are any worse than the living- and Lillian never harmed anyone!"

"Oh, Lillian is her name. Say hi, Lillian!" The zombie waved her hand instead, as her vocal chords were too rotten to utter a word. The necromancer followed up with an introduction on her own. "Oh, and I'm Rhuneth."

AsherTheElf

"It's a pleasure. I'm Erin. I'm not sure about the people of Serendipity, I'm not from here." They replied, going back to look at Lillian with fascination. "I always enjoy meeting necromancers, your magick is curious, as is the prejudice. Personally, I'd rather be in a room of the dead than a room of the living." They offered their hand to Lillian.

quaggan

"I'm not from Serendipity, either, I just like the local dress style. It's so pretty and frilly! I'm from Thanatos - those islands full of jerks" Rhuneth sulked, her face twisting into a frown. "Don't ever go there. They hate necromancers, and they hate foreigners too. Worst place to go sightseeing in all of Le'raana."

She glanced at Lillian. The zombie slowly extended the hand, lacking the manual dexterity to direct the handshake properly.