Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Faeries and pixies and demons, oh my!

Started by Rhindeer, December 28, 2004, 11:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The fae, for she had no real identity, closed her soft eyes at Ishtaq's reassuring touch. She could do this...she could do this...she could do this...
She blinked at the time frame, realizing she may not be able to fly with her huge, ornate wings. But then...she didn't really know...
"I...well..."
She shifted, glancing back at her flittering wings. She pondered it, fluttering them experimentally. They were rather heavy, and slightly cumbersome for a creature her size. They didn't seem to be able to flap all that quickly...
But she could feel...something, that told her otherwise.
She could...it was possible...but...just how to do so was just beyond the reach of her fragmented memory.
"Maybe...I mean, something tells me I can but...I don't remember how."

She could read from his vague body language that he didn't really want to have to carry her, so she didn't want to inconvenience him further. With a soft sigh, she glanced at the ground, hands clasped in front of her. "...Sorry..."

Rhindeer

Ishtaq shot Raijah a meaningful look at his hesitation, and she was close enough to him to know just what kind of facade he was putting on. After all...she'd known the fae since he was practically a toddler and could read him better than he could oftentimes read himself. It was obvious to her, it was an act he put on often enough, and she didn't approve then and certainly didn't approve now; she'd been trying to break him of that annoying habit of baracading himself up all the time. He just wasn't a "touchy" person. Never was, didn't know how, and preferred to bottle things up. All of which definitely wasn't needed now, of all times.

All of which frustrated Ishtaq, who was the direct opposite and saw that as impeding his life.

And...the poor nameless fae. She could certainly use some support. Even if she...even if she was going to have her soul split, it didn't mean she should have to be miserable and neglected during what time she had left! Even if she would eventually cease to be, it didn't mean she shouldn't have a friend. And little as Ishtaq was, she intended on being a friend to this fae, even if she knew the fae would eventually die. That didn't matter, though; it was all the more reason to get close, really. At least, that was how she saw it.

Raijah shifted again as he looked from Ishtaq to the fae, caught between the two. Especially the fae. And the fact that she seemed to feel guilty made him feel guilty. He shifted yet again, back to the other foot. "I...no...no, it's not a problem, don't worry about it. I can carry you."

Ishtaq gave a little sigh. Not convincing.

"Don't feel bad, Fae. Jah-Jah's only being like that 'cause he feels bad. He's weird like that," Ishtaq whispered up to the fae, translating the Raijah-speak she knew all too well. The last thing this fae needed was to feel guilt over anything, especially something not her fault, as this whole thing certainly wasn't her doing. She'd have to lecture Raijah later for being so dumb. "Try and cheer up. When we stop somewhere to rest, we'll have to do something fun, 'kay?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

'Fae'....she didn't like being called that. Like she was...an object. A soft shudder tightened her shoulders, making her wings fan out again.
"Could you...could you not call me that please...?" She asked gently, too unstable to demand anything, or even be a bit more firm. She felt like she was...tresspassing, somehow. Enroaching on their time. Forcing them to do something they shouldn't have to.
She still felt guilty, as much as Ishtaq might feel she shouldn't.

She shook her head at Raijah's unconvincing reply. "It's ok, I'll manage. You don't have to. Really." Truly, she felt like screaming. Not at him. Not at anybody really. She just wanted to scream. It felt like a Rakk impulse...
She glanced at Ishtaq with those soft, sad eyes as the little fae spoke. Her nickname for Raijah was cute...Jah-Jah...
She wished she had a nickname...
No! Ah, she had to stop thinking like that or she'd never be able to go through with this!!
She managed a very weak,  unconvincing smile at Ishtaq, though her eyes didn't brighten with the offer.
"Ok, that sound great." Do something fun together...kind of like...friends...?
"Thank you Ishtaq..."
She murmured, again looking at the ground.
She'd fly on her own. She wouldn't burden either of them any more than she had to. She'd get this done quickly, so that the two other souls could have their lives back.
She would get attatched...
She wouldn't...
Be....
Somebody...

Rhindeer

"Okay...but we gotta think of something to call ya," Ishtaq said, feeling the shudder ripple through the fae. The fae was right. Calling her just "fae" probably wasn't too nice, though Ishtaq had just adopted that from Raijah. But it was just so impersonal. Maybe that was the point, but the fae didn't like it, and everyone needed a name. And she was going to be with them for a few days, so she needed something to be addressed by, since every other option that lacked a specific nameâ€"you, hey you, girlâ€"were even worse than "fae" in that respect.

Besides...she should enjoy some of life's pleasures. The poor thing was miserable, and understandably so! She didn't have much time...but she should have fun with what time she had. Otherwise...she'd just have more regrets in the end, Ishtaq imagined. She wasn't going to be alive long, but while she was alive, she should act it!

"Hmm...you're really pretty. How about...Tana? It means 'faarie queen', and you're pretty enough to be one!" Ishtaq offered up with an encouraging smile.

Raijah fought the sudden urge to twitch. Was Ishtaq trying to make this more difficult than it already was, for everyone?! She was gonna get attached, the fae was gonna get attached...it was gonna be a disaster. And she was naming the fae now. Naming her. Oh jeez...it was hard enough dealing with someone who didn't have a name, but now...was she trying to blow this whole thing apart? Aimee and Rakkalepta were on the line, here. Two people...the majority before the minority...and the fae wanted to go through with this, she'd said...

Was she trying to make both he and her lose their nerve?! It was tough enough already.

As if he didn't feel bad enough as it was...

"I said it wouldn't be a problem," he told the fae, biting back the bitterness that wanted to creep into his voice. No...no need to vent his irritation on her. She didn't deserve it. It was Ishtaq he was irritated with. No. Not even really Ishtaq. Just this situation in general. It was crap. It didn't feel right. But it was. Alright, deep breath, no need to stress out again now. "But," he began after a pause, voice far calmer. "If you think you can manage and want to do it on your own...you should practice here, first, or you might injure yourself." Those wings of hers were huge! His own wings were rather large, too, in order to carry him, but not nearly so ornate and fancy. Just dragonfly style wings of a solid electric blue color. No bells or whistles. Just...practical.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

She was vaguely surprised Ishtaq was so willing to give her a name. She understood why they had called her Fae before. It was supposed to be impersonal. And that was what they needed.
But it wasn't what she wanted...
Not that what she wanted was supposed to matter.
Damn it, she had to stop being so damn guilty!

A few rapid blinks followed that thought. That...that was pure Rakkalepta...
What was happening to her???

A deep blush rose to her cheeks at Ishtaq's kind words. "I..I...wha...?" She stuttered, staring at the little fae. Her...pretty? Really...?
Someone in her agreed fully, reassuring her that her physical form really was quite pretty.
Tana....faerie queen...
What a wonderful name.
Smiling shyly, she...Tana...nodded softly. "Thank you Ishtaq..." She had just been complimented, and given a lovely name.
"Tana...I love it. Thank you!"
She finally showed another emotion aside from sorrow, her eyes brightening a bit and the smile growing slightly.
It made her entire countanance much more cheerful. And it suited her much better than sadness or guilt did.

Her attention turned back to Raijah...heehee, Jah-Jah...at his remark. He seemed irritated, but she wasn't sure at who or what.
Practice...?
"Yes, ok...I'll try..."
There it was again, that knowing that she could indeed fly with these huge wings of hers.
Not normally of course. But then, faeries weren't exactly your most conventional creature.
Her gaze again flickered to Ishtaq. "Will you come with me while I practice? Please?"
Ishtaq gave her much needed reassurance and comfort, and she really liked the tiny fae. She was perhaps Tana's first, and maybe last, friend.

Rhindeer

Ishtaq giggled at the faeâ€"Tana'sâ€"response to her compliment. Heehee...she was blushing and everything... "What, don't believe me? Silly. You could make even me jealous, if I was the jealous type!" she kidded.

Tana's utter happiness at having been given a name, her sheer gratitude and the look of pure joy that lit up her features, really touched Ishtaq. Indeed, happiness did suit the poor fae...but, then, happiness suited everyone. No one deserved to feel so dejected. No one deserved to feel unwanted or unloved. The poor fae was no different...or, maybe she was. She deserved it even more, since she was probably going through more in her short life than anyone would ever have to worry about in a lifetime! With the briefness of it all...well, it was all the more reason to live even more.

And there Raijah was, being all angsty and irritated now, probably with her. Yes, she'd definitely need to have a talk with him and drill some things through that skull of his. She knew what he was trying to pull, distancing himself and the like, thinking it was for the best, when that was the last thing any of them needed! He had a tendency to get so lost in the details that he missed the big picture, stressing over what he had to do and letting that rule over everything else. He really could come across as cold...but that wasn't the real Raijah that Ishtaq knew. Not around her when they were alone, at least.

She could read him like a book.

"You're welcome, kiddo!" Ishtaq chimed and ruffled a lock of her hair playfully. "It really suits ya! And of course I'll go with ya! Someone's gotta make sure you don't goof up. Hey, speaking of which...Jah-Jah, ya gotta come with! You're bigger! You can help, 'cause, well, I kinda got this whole size issue goin' on, yanno..."

She'd make him loosen up. She just had to play at his own game. And an easy way to convince him of anything was to point out some obvious fact. If Tana needed some assistence, Ishtaq couldn't exactly support her, and learning to fly took more than just flapping your wings.

Raijah listened, then nodded very slowly. Yes...that was true...he'd need to help...

"Alright."

The faeâ€"Tana, Tana...Ishtaq had named her Tanaâ€"looked a lot happier...and that both bothered him and, well...was at the same time a nice sight to see. Ishtaq was right. She was beautiful. And she was so happy now...

And that made him feel even worse about the whole situation.

Anonymous

Tana blushed a bit more, rubbing the back of her head with humble embarassment. Ishtaq was being so kind to her...and she knew the little fae was being sincere, which made it all the more heart-warming. She really did like Ishtaq, though it wasn't as though she had ever disliked her to begin with.
Even Rakk liked her.
Wait...how did she know that???

She began to slip into that state of unease again, until Ishtaq ruffled her hair and spoke. She grinned softly at the fae on her shoulder, the expression looking at home on her fair features. She was glad the little fae was going to come with her, and seemed so enthusiastic about it as well.
Ishtaq really did want to help her.
Help her, not to die. But to live.

Rose-shaded eyes glanced at Raijah nervously as he slowly accepted. "You don't have to if you don't want to. I'm sure I can manage..."
Aaack, did he really not like her...?
Well, he had known Rakkalepta...maybe...he felt badly towards her since she was now in control of the body instead of his friend...?

Raijah and her were not friends. She hardly like the guy...

Tana blinked, having clearly felt Rakkalepta that time. Those were not her thoughts. Not in the least. What was going on...? Why did their thoughts and feelings keep filtering through to her...?

Shifting uncomfortably again, Tana glanced at the petite Ishtaq with a look of worry and confusion on her face.
What was going on within her mind...? What was happening???

Rhindeer

[heehee...this is gonna be written under the influence of a migraine "hangover", so apologies in advance if it reads weird in any parts. XD *shouldn't be writing, ish still out of it, but is bored of staying in bed...has slept for 13 hours already, grawr!]

Ishtaq gave a soft sight as Tana once again sank back into that familiar state of unease. And she had been so happy just a moment ago...

And since Ishtaq could not see what was going on in Tana's mind, and since Tana had looked so nervously over at the only male in the area, she could only assume the trigger for this regression was Raijah, who was being such a downer right now. Gods, couldn't he just try to pretend to be supportive?! Poor Tana was probably getting all the wrong signals from him, especially since she didn't know him as Ishtaq did. And the poor thing had already felt so guilty...she might think he disliked her...

Then again, Raijah wasn't helping that outlook much. And right now, that was the image he was projecting, however unwittingly.

Idiot. He really had no clue when it came to communication.

Raijah shifted a little awkwardly himself under Tana's nervous glance. "No, it's okay...I want to..."

That was it. Ishtaq had caught Tana's most recent troubled glance her way, and decided it was about time to set things straight. "Would you stop that already, Raijah?!" Ishtaq's sudden demand made Raijah jump, a serious note in that feminine voice that usually wasn't there. And the fact that she chose not to use her nickname for him only further drilled in that point. She always called him Jah-Jah, much as he hated it...but, truth be told, he had come to prefer being called that, as being called by his real name usually indicated that he was in trouble. A funny little irony, and funnier still that he would jump to attention when Ishtaq issued a command, given his size in comparison to hers and their usual public relationshipâ€"of which included mostly bantering and bickering. But Ishtaq truly was his mentor, and he had known her since he was young enough to hardly be able to walk.

Hell...he knew her better than he knew his own mother.

"Now is not the time to wall yourself up! Look at Tana! You're making her nervous and sad again! She probably thinks you hate her! So stop being so cold and be a bit more hospitable!"

Raijah blinked in surprise, taken aback yet again. "Hate her? No! No, I don't, not at all, I..."

"Then stop acting like it."

"...Acting? I...I wasn't, I'm not..." He fumbled uselessly for words. Erk...was that really the image he was projecting? He was reserved, he knew that, Ishtaq had prodded him about that enough, but...he couldn't help that! Old habits ran deep. Old habits that were beat into you ran deeper. He didn't think he'd been coming across as cold, though...he'd never thought about it like that. He didn't want anyone to think he hated them, especially when he didn't. Tana least of all. He was just...stressed. And he'd never been very good at dealing with stress. And he had been worried, most of all, that he would lose his nerve or Tana would.

He gave a nervous glance at Tana, but it was nervous for a different reason now. Jeez...did she really think he hated her? "Sorry..."

Ishtaq crossed her legs where she sat on Tana's shoulder. Hrm. Hopefully that had served as a bit of a wake up call, and she knew all too well that if Raijah thought he'd upset someone, it would drive him crazy. He could be cold, but he tended to be very empathic. Maybe that was part of the reason he tried to shell himself up. It was safer.

Glancing up at Tana, she gave the fae a reassuring smile. Ishtaq was Raijah's mentor, but had taken it upon herself to be Tana's guardian.

Anonymous

Tana had been able to feel the presence of the two other souls ever since she came into control of the body. She knew they were there. But she hadn't...she hadn't thought that...
How could they speak to her??
She could hear them...both of them...arguing in the back of her mind. Bickering, was probably the better word. It was like a vague pressure in her forehead, that feeling that there was more than one person living within her mind.
What was happening to her???

The poor distraught fae jumped alittle as Ishtaq shouted from the close proximity of her shoulder. She was yelling at...Raijah?
She blinked from the little fae to the larger one, and back again. It was as though Raijah was being chastized like...well, like a child almost. She hadn't realized Ishtaq held such a spot as...well...not really like a parent, but more of like...a leadership figure of some kind.
She commanded Raijah, and he responded, without ever arguing with her.
Little Ishtaq had a very different side to her, but Tana liked her no less.

She shifted uneasily, even more confused than before. She had begun to think that Raijah really did dislike her...not necissarily hate her, but...
And now he was saying he wasn't? She had to listen closely to Ishtaq's words to really understand what was going on.
Or, maybe she didn't...

Look, Tana, Raijah has a habit of closing himself and acting cold. Pisses Ishtaq off like nothing else. It's not you, I promise. If he really was being an ass to you on purpose, I'd have to come out there and hurt him...

Tana let out an involuntary scream and clutched her head. Her heart was pounding, breathing irregular. What was going ON??? She could hear Rakkalepta, as though...as though the demon was speaking to her! But but...but how was that possible?? And if Rakk could speak to her, why wasn't the demon demanding her existance back??? She sounded so cool and collected, as though being trapped inside this body was nothing.
And...and Aimee...she had felt her there the entire time, a faint calming force...
Why wasn't she trying to get her body back either??

Violent trembling shook little Tana, her new eyes squeazed shut. Thoughts, ideas, and words were flying through her mind, battering her already tattered concious. This...this wasn't right...
What...what was happening to her...?
Why could she hear them!?

Rhindeer

Tana's sudden scream ended any further "prompting" Ishtaq might have administered, making both she and Raijah jjolt in alarm. And poor Ishtaq, being so small and near Tana, got the worst end of it, though, and gave a shriek of her own as she clapped her own small hands over her pointed ears and hunched her shoulders. Yeek! That had been unexpected! And even though she had shielded her ears, it was likely they would be ringing for the next few hours to come.

Not that that was important right now. Something had obviously spooked the fae and, her own small heart beating rapidly, she slowly lowered her hands and opened her eyes. She could feel the fae shivering violently, and pressed near her neck as she was, she could feel her quick pulse and hear her uneven breath. The fae was clutching her head, too, in a way that made Ishtaq think she was in pain. "Tana! Tana, are you okay?! What happened?" Ishtaq asked quickly, colorful eyes wide with concern. But she also took advantage of the fact that the fae had her eyes clenched shut, for she used this as an opportunity to silently flag down Raijah, who had still been standing apart from the group.

But Raijah came on his own this time.

He could seem cold, but it wasn't the truth, really, and Ishtaq knew that. It was just a defense mechanism, really, and a habit that ran deep. But...well...Ishtaq's short lecture had put things in a different light. He didn't want the fae to think he disliked her. And...well...maybe Ishtaq had the right idea about the whole thing to begin with. She always knew what she was doing...she'd never once lead him astray. Sure, her lessons could be rough and tended to be the type where you didn't even know they were a lesson until you learned something in the end, but...she just always knew wat to do. Always said the right thing, always did the right thing. He didn't know how she did it; he never seemed able to do that. Like now, for instance. He was blowing it and coming out looking like a jerk, apparently. And he hadn't even been aware of it.

Erk. He really was dense...

Maybe he should just stop worrying.

Easier said than done, of course. He wasn't the type that put his faith in the idea that everything would work out on it's own. Do that, and you were just setting yourself up for a hard time.

"Faâ€"Tana. Tana, are you hurt?" Raijah asked quietly. He stood next to her now, but was still...distant. He didn't really know what else he could do right now but ask and find out what was wrong.

Anonymous

Tana was still trembling violently, her entire body shivering without control. She couldn't seem to make it stop, no matter how hard she ordered herself to stop it. She could at least steady her breathing, deep ragged breaths being sucked in as much as she was able.

Breath in through your nose, out through your mouth Tana.

Tana did, and then realized it was Aimee who had just instructed her to do as such. Tana screamed again, shaking her head back and forth. "Stop it! Stop talking to me! You shouldn't be able to talk to me!!" She shouted out loud, tears gathering at the corners of her clenched eyes. This was too much...
She couldn't take this!

And then Raijah nearly called her fae again, while asking her if she was hurt in a voice that didn't quite sound concerned.
Dammit!

"No you idiot, she is not hurt!" She screamed at him, but it was a mixture of Rakk's attitude and Tana's own frayed nerves. As soon as it left her lips, Tana gasped and stared at him. Wait a moment, she hadn't even thought of saying that! "I...I...I'm sorry!" She whimpered, and then turned and fled, dislodging Ishtaq in the process.
No no NO! If she couldn't have a life or her own soul or her own body, she at least wanted to have her own mind!
"Please! You'll get your body back soon, I promise! Just get out of my head! Please!" She cried as she ran blindly, still holding her head as though it might help.
Both Rakk and Aimee were shouting at her to calm down, pleading with her to stop, trying desperately to keep her from hurting herself.
But it didn't help. If anything, it made it worse. The press of their voices became a ringing in her ears, and with a shout she tumpled, her foot catching on a root.

Her ankle throbbed, and she struggled to get back up, gasping for air. The voices...they...they had stopped...
Blinking the tears out of her eyes, Tana looked around at the blurred scenery. Oh...oh no! Ishtaq and Raijah probably thought she was insane! And she probably was...
Oh no...
Oh no oh no oh no...

Ok, ok, snap out of it. Tana shook her head and sat, wincing as she gingerly shifted her injured ankle. Alright...everything she had just done was unforgivably stupid. But...well, how would you act if your mind had suddenly been invaded by the two souls you felt you had robbed of a body, of an existance???

Rhindeer

"GYAH!" Ishtaq landed with a soft thud in a pile of leaves, dislodged so suddenly she hadn't even had time to react. Or maybe it was a combination of that and the sudden shock of Tana's words that froze her up right there. In any case, soon enough she was rolling over onto her stomach and pushing herself up to her feet, bare arms and legs scuffed with the moist soil that was smeared along the leaves. What...what was going on with Tana?? She...she had sounded like...like Rakkalepta there for a moment! And...talking to her...?

Oh no...she was acting like...like someone was talking to her. In her head.

And Rakkalepta...

Was she as merged as they all thought she was?

No, those questions could wait. She had taken off! She was running somewhere now like a spooked animal, and who knew where she was going or how far she'd gone? She probably wasn't thinking straight now! Panic tended to do that, and with those huge wings of hers, and since she probably didn't know where she was going...oh, she could really hurt herself! She could get lost! She was no Rakkalepta in that respect, she couldn't take care of herself! And then she'd be all alone and scared!

"Raijah! Raijah, we have toâ€"!" She spun around frantically to face himâ€"and was surprised to find he wasn't there. But her ringing ears suddenly picked up the sounds of running, and twisting around again, she was just able to make out a flash of blue as light reflected off dragonfly wings, before the forest swallowed Raijah from view.

Alright. Maybe he wasn't as dumb as she thought.

Well, then again...it was just his nature. He would protect anyone that needed it, or that he felt was in need of it. He was distant...but he was also compassionate, even if that didn't really show because it was burried so deep down inside him. Stupid regressive tendencies...

Brushing her legs and arms off, she spread her wings carefully and took to the air. She'd follow after him, just to make sure everything was okay...but this time, she would let him handle this one on his own...

Raijah was cursing mentally as he followed the path Tana had taken, both because he hadn't realized how fast she was, and because she had gotten pretty far ahead of him before the shock had worn off and he had followed suit. And because, well, he was, once again, horribly confused, thrown for yet another loop. Damn! That had been Rakkalepta! He could recognize that attitude anywhere! But weren't those souls merged, and that was why...well, why they now had the fae called Tana? She certainly wasn't anything like Rakkalepta, so the change in personality and tone for that split second had been...jarring.

And then there was more. Tana, screaming, pleading with something to get out of her head...

But...it just made no sense! If she was a merge between souls, why was she still aware of the other souls? How could a merge of souls be aware of separate souls, when there <I>were no separate souls? At least...that was what Raijah could assume...that the souls weren't acting very merged if they were...speaking to her. And through her.

He was completely lost.

And he was doing a crap job at helping her.

But for now, all he could really focus on was finding her. Shit...she could go anywhere! And if she wasn't careful, and was running blindly...there were just too many opportunities for her to wind up in a dangerous situation. He should have kept a better watch on her. He probably should have been more supportive, and he sucked at that, he knew, as Ishtaq had told him time and time again, but he couldn't help it! But maybe then she wouldn't have split. He wasn't making her feel very welcome...he knew it...damnit, damnit, damnitâ€"!

He came to an abrupt halt, a familiar colorful figure coming suddenly into a view, a figure sitting on the earth and wincing, ankle stretched out. And he let out a deep breath, the tenstion that had clutched at him receding with that breath. Thank Gods...she was okay. From the looks of it, it didn't look like she had completely escaped injury, but things could have been much, much worse. And perhaps this would be a lesson to her not to run offâ€"

Damn, he was starting to think like Ishtaq. Speaking of which...she apparently hadn't followed. How subtle of her...

Taking another deep breath, he slowly made his way over to her, and instinctively crouched down beside her without a word. Well...what was he supposed to say? asking if she was hurt would be a stupid question, and had invoked Rakkalepta last time. Not a good question to ask, especially since she kind of obviously was, given the tender way she had shifted her ankle. But silence was awkward. More awkward than words, perhaps...

"Hey..." he began, looking over at her, violet eyes concerned. "So...do you...ah, think you're through running for now?" GYAH! Stupidstupidstupidstupid! Very smooth. Just what she probably wanted to hear after having some sort of crazy soul-based attack. "I mean...ah..." Damnit, where was Ishtaq?!

Anonymous

She was crying, sobbing really, and she didn't know why. Perhaps it was a mixture of the sharp pain in her ankle and the distraught feelings of the situation she was in. Her uninjured leg was pulled close to her, but also tilted inward, so as not to flash anybody in her rather short skirt. Not that there was anybody around...
What did she expect? She had probably freaked them both out so bad they wouldn't ever want to speak with her again!
And then what would she do??

She was surprised then when a figure came out of the woods in front of her, and as blurred as her vision was from tears, she could make out the purple hair and electric blue wings.
She quickly moved her arm over her eyes, rubbing in an attempt to dry the tears she had no real explination for.
She then sat, drowning in the uncomfortable silence, unable to look at him. She kept her eyes averted, down, looking at any other thing aside from the fae beside her.
Raijah ended up being better at this than he thought.

Tana laughed softly at his words, shaking her head gently. "Yes, I'm done now." She responded softly, finally glancing at him.
"I'm sorry..."

Rhindeer

Raijah was relieved when his words didn't have the effect he had been worried they would. In fact...he was surprised to find they had a completely opposite reaction. She actually laughed, though he noticed the way she looked at anything but him, eyes downcast...and it looked like she had been crying, judging by the marks on her cheeks.

And then, finally, she did look at him.

He shifted a little beside her so that, finally, he was also sitting as opposed to crouching, and he shook his head slowly, violet hair swaying slightly. "No...don't be. I...was just worried, that's all. You shouldn't run off like that. You don't know this area, and it can be dangerous. There are predators here, and the terrain is unstable. You really could have gotten hurt or even lost. You're very lucky you didn't. Well..." His eyes moved over her wounded ankle, and he could see it was starting to swell. "Not badly, at least. Don't do that again. Alright? Now...how's that ankle? Do you mind if I look at it?" For now, he avoided the question of what had happened back there. He didn't want to overwhelm her. He'd just take it little by little...

He hadn't really meant for that to turn into a mini lecture, but...this really was out of his league. But he really had been worried, and that was truthfully what he was tryng to get across. He just wasn't good at wording it. Comforting others...he couldn't say he had much experience with that. He hadn't exactly come from the most warm and fuzzy family...

But, he was trying. And...he really did feel bad. Ishtaq's words had struck a chord in him. Was he really that insensitive? Well, duh, that had been what he had been going for! But it seemed he had been wrong in doing so...he could see that now. But it didn't make him any less lost or any less confused. Or any less troubled.

"Tana...do you think I dislike you?" he asked suddenly. For some reason, that idea bothered him. Sure, he had been trying to distance himself earlier...but not really because he <I>wanted to, just because he felt he <I>should. And that idea had been scraped, in any case...and, well, he was glad.

He didn't want someone to die thinking he hated them...

Anonymous

Tana blinked at him, surprised to find he was actually worried about her. She had freaked out right in front of him and run off, and he still managed to worry about her?
Maybe he didn't really dislike her after all...
A small grin began to form as she was soundlt lectured, but she tried her best to hide it. She didn't know why it was so funny, it just was. He just kept going and going...

She glanced down at her swelling ankle as he addressed it, the grin vanishing with a wince as she remembered the throbbing. Oh man...
Sha glanced back at him and sighed. "I won't run off again, promise." She almost grinned again, but managed to keep a straight face.
"And you can look at it...just...don't move it around, ok?"
Oh but it would hurt if he moved it!

Light pink eyes blink rapidly at his sudden question, Tana turning a bit to look at him. Was he still worried she thought he hated her? Well...she had never really given him a reason not to think that...
She managed a small smile. "No, I don't think you dislike me Raijah." She shifted lightly on the lumpy ground, again glancing at her poor ankle. "Thanks for coming after me..."

Rhindeer

Raijah thought he saw Tana grin when he was "lecturing" her, and had to blink a few times in confusion. He could have sworn she looked...amused. But, maybe he was just imagining it. He didn't think he had said anything funny...or...did he have leaves in his haor or something? Reflexively he felt his hair, trying to be as subtle as possible as he checked to make sure and hoped to pass it off as him just scratching his head. Nope...no twigs or leaves. Hmm. Odd. Oh well.

But, hey, that was good to know she wouldn't be doing this stunt again! One less thing to stress over...he didn't want to have to worry about her running off at random and him not knowing about it; it was just too dangerous. He gave a relieved sigh of his own. "I'll hold you to that," he told her, though his tone was softened a bit by the faint smile that touched his lips.

Shifting around so he could sit comfortably near her ankle, he glanced up at her as he carefully touched the swollen flesh. "I won't move it. I'm just going to feel it to see what's wrong with it, if it's a sprain, fracture, or break. I doubt it's the latter, though...you'd be bawling if it was...but just gotta be sure. I'm gonna put a little pressure on it, so it might hurt a little. Just tell me when I find the area that's most sensitive."

Feeling around her ankle carefully, he listened to her words even while he worked and watched her out of the corner of his eye for a reaction, for a flinch of pain or anything that would indicate discomfort. And then Raijah paused again as her words finally registered, perhaps a little bit after the fact. But...eh, what could he say, multitasking was never his strong point. Glancing up at her again, he gave yet another sigh of relief. And then he quickly went back to examining her ankle. "Good, because, well...I don't, Tana. I...I just wanted to clear that up..." He'd been cold. Even he knew that. He hadn't given her much reason to think he liked her.

"And you're welcome..."

Anonymous

Tana gulped and nodded, waiting for the pain and trying to prepare herself for it. As soon as he began to put pressure on the swollen ankle she winced despite herself, sucking in a breath.
OUCH.
She let the breath out through her nose and tried again, though Raijah was still feeling about for the real damage. As soon as he really got to her ankle, the area that had been badly twisted, she winced again, biting her lip.
"Ok ok!" She let out on a strained whisper. Ah, he needed to stop squeazing now!
The corners of her eyes were beginning to tear up, but she managed not to cry. At least, not out right.
And then suddenly...

"Alright, give the girl a break now. That hurts like hell!" She barked, before blinking in surprise and touching her hand to her temple.
Oh no...oh no oh no...
It was happening again!
Tana quivered lightly. "S..sorry!" She whimpered, pain still shooting up her bare leg.
That was Rakkalepta...without Aimee's influence no less. Rakk was a bit more brash when left on her own...
Ah, how did she know that!?

Tana took a deep, shuddering breath and closed her eyes, trying desperately to calm herself. It was alright...this shouldn't be so shocking. The other souls were there, she knew that. So what if they could talk to her? Talk through her...?
Oh no...what if they could control her too???
The poor fae shivered again, fists clenched against the ground as she took deep, soothing breaths. Her eyes were still clenched tightly together though, revealing her badly hidden fear and nervousness.

Rhindeer

Raijah glanced up at her when he felt her wince, but as she did not tell him yet to stop, he continued on, moving his hands gradually along her ankle. Healing was never his strong point; he was always more of a fighter. But, he did his best with what he knew, andâ€"gyah! That must be the wounded area.

He stopped quickly as she made some strained sound, and, looking up, was about to make a hasty apology when she snapped at him instead, a barked order that referred to herself in the third person. But she looked just as surprised afterwards as he undoubtedly did, his surprised blinks mirroring hers...until he registered the voice. That voice and attitude was completely out of character from what he'd gathered of Tana's characterâ€"for her personality was, indeed, very unique from what he'd gathered, which was perhaos something else that had thrown Raijah out of whack for so long.

That voice...that was all Rakkalepta.

And he had heard Rakkalepta speak through Tana beforeâ€"this was the second time!â€"but it didn't make it any less surprising. Or unnerving. It brought up an impossible amount of unanswered questions...how was she able to do that? Weren't their souls supposed to be merged?

And whose souls was he even referring to when he thought that anymore?! There was Aimee, there was Rakkalapeta...and now Tana, it seemed. At least, subconsciously he had started to view Tana as an individual, and, really, how else was he supposed to view her? The merged souls made her, created something new, and she recognized herself as unique...

But...so what did it mean that Rakkalepta could speak through her?

What was going on here...? Damn, he didn't have a clue about how the whole soul thing worked. Up until now, he just figured you had a soul, and that was that. He knew one could be possessed...but he hadn't known they could merge...and what was happening now? It was completely beyond his level of understanding. He'd never encountered it before.

"It's...it's alright..." Raijah replied slowly, watching her. Her eyes were clenched shut, traces of tears there, though he wasn't sure if that was due to the pain or fear. In any case, she looked badly shaken...

And he decided it would be pointless to ask her what was happening. Her frightened behavior answered that question well enough.

Damn...so...basically...she had voices in her head. Except, they weren't the product of her own psyche, but were real voices, the voices of the other souls?

Yeah...that could freak anyone out, he imagined.

"Tana, you're gonna be alright," he spoke up as she shivered, feeling a bit uncomfortable himself. He really didn't like seeing people in that sort of state. Even if he didn't know how to handle it or respond to that sort of emotional display, it didn't make him any less concerned. In fact...the fact that he didn't know how to respond to such a situation was what bothered him the most. But, eh...he couldn't really help that he didn't come from the most loving of families. "It's not your fault what's happening, alright? We're gonna get this figured out..."

Anonymous

Tana continued to try and calm herself, heart thudding in her chest, breathing just a tad irregular. She managed not to forget to keep her legs pressed together thankfully. No need to flash poor Jah-Jah.

Oooo, you're using his nick-name!

ACK! Tana cringed at Rakk's undeniable voice in her head. This was so weird...and scary too! They could talk to her and through her, how much longer before they could control her too???
Wait, stop thinking like that. It WAS their body, they had every right to be in control. So...maybe she should...
Well, here goes nothing.

Ra...Rakkalepta...?

Finally, you're catching on. Don't worry, we're not going to take over and shove you in some dark recess of the mind.

Unlike what happened to me.

Shut up Aimee.

You have no right to talk to me like that! You're a horrible, horrible person and...!

Tana let out a strangled scream, her eyes quickly snapping open, frantically trying to shut off the arguing voices in her head. She focused on Raijah and her ankle, sucking in breaths through her nose and letting them out through her trembling lips. She realized then he had been talking to her. She hadn't heard a word of it! Oh no!

"I...I'm sorry! I...I didn't hear any of that...I was...trying..." She gulped, trying to steady her quaking voice. "I spoke to them! Rakkalepta and Aimee! They started arguing with each other, right there in my mind!"
She shook her head, long blue hair shifting along her shoulders. This was all too strange...
"They're both here...in..in my head." She was really crying now, and looked back at him. "Raijah, what am I supposed to do? I don't know what to do!"

You could calm him Jah-Jah again...

"Ahh, no, shut up!" She clutched at her head. "I'm not going to call him Jah-Jah! He doesn't like it!" Oh no, she was arguing with Rakk! Out loud!
Oh no oh no...

Rhindeer

Raijah somehow got the feeling she wasn't listening to him, judging by her irresponsive behavior. Except...wait, she did cringe. Erk...was he really that bad at giving moral support that he could elicit cringes from people? His violet eyes crossed as he frowned a little, starting to feel frustration creeping along his mind. He knew he wasn't the best, but he hadn't really thought he was so utterly horrible at it that he could score negative pointsâ€"

Tana let out a strangled scream, and every ounce of frustration was knocked right out of his head as his body gave a violent jolt of alarm at the sudden sound. His eyes snapped over to her as she sat there, sucking in air shakily, and, feeling a bit shaken up himself as shock after shock just kept coming, Raijah had been about to ask her what the hell just happened when she answered the question for him. And began to cry as she did so. Oh no...

Well, yeah...now as the surprise wore off, what she said made sense. Rakkalepta had spoken through her before a few times, as Raijah had experienced, but the rest...the souls within her spoke to her, and she could speak to them? Good Gods, it just kept getting more and more complicated. And...and...she'd been looking to him for an answer when it had first started, when it had just seemed an issue of souls merging together. Raijah had thought that was a complicated issue worthy of stress. Now...the merged soul issue seemed as simple as lacing a boot. Now ot was no longer an issue of merged souls. If they could talk to her, and through her, and she could speak to them...

That made them sentient souls, right?

So, then...what the hell did that make her? Her own soul? Well, yeah, he'd figured she was unique, but...he'd figured that individual personality and outlook came from being the product of the merge. But, if it was no longer a case of being merged, then...but how could it not be if she came about from a merge? Did the souls un-merge? It seemed it, if they were acting on their own. So...they were separate now? Or...

Oh jeez, his head was starting to hurt.

He grimaced as he looked at her. He really hated to see people cry...and she expected him to know what to do. She trusted him to know, to help her, and he'd promised to help, and he wasn't going to retract that promise, either. He'd meant it, and he still did. He always kept his word.

Tentatively, he reached out to rest his hand on one of hers. The gesture was clearly awkward, not something he did oftenâ€"or everâ€"but...she was so scared, and...well...he was trying. "I...I don't know. But listen, Tana, we'll figure it out, alright? Now calm down...you'll be fine, okay? You'llâ€"what?"

He blinked at her next outburst for a few seconds, and despite the situation, despite her tears...for some reason, he found the comment so completely out of place and random it was almost amusing. Well, it would have been amusing if the situation wasn't so damned serious. Ah. And that...must have been Rakkalepta...

Wait.

That also gave him an idea...she said she could speak to them. They could speak to her. Maybe...

"Wait, Tana? You can speak to them, right? Try asking them. Try asking if they have an idea what to do. Or...maybe they can at least explain. Can you?"