Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Faeries and pixies and demons, oh my!

Started by Rhindeer, December 28, 2004, 11:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

(heheh, I just reread this entire thread... ^_^ )

Both heads bowed over the glowing little creature, their faces were illuminated in green-yellow light. She had opened her hands fully now, but the fire fly did not attempt to leave. It simply skittled around her hands, tickling her skin as it moved about, as if as interested in learning more about her as she was about it. Then Jah-Jah spoke up. "Oh, right!"
She wondered if there was a specific way to go about this, but since she didn't know if there was or not, she figured just talking to it normally would be her best bet. Quieting her voice, she concentrated on the little creature.
"Hello, my little friend. Do you think you could call some of the others over here for me? I'd like to meet them." She whispered, trying not to be too loud. It was so small and delicate, she didn't want to hurt it.

There was a long pause, the insect continuing to skittle around her hand as it had been. Tana frowned softly. "Maybe I can't do it..." She sighed sadly and closed her eyes, feeling the little feet brush over the palms of her hands.
Do not loose hope. You must be patient...
Aimee? That must have been her...
Tana trusted Aimee completely, and so did not hesitate to regain hope. She opened her eyes, and noticed that the little beatle was now flashing in a most strange manner. "Are you...?" She didn't get to finish, for within moments all the fire flies in the clearing had converged on their spot, flitting and dancing around Tana, their lights making her wings sparkle in a most strange way. Tana was alight with mirth, smiling and giggling as they flew around herself and Raijah. And still that little one remained in her hand. "Oh, thank you! Look at them all! They're so sweet!" She giggled as they tickled her nose and flew around her wings to make them glow, landing on her hair and arms, tickling.
"Oh look Jah-Jah, they're in your hair too!" She giggled more as many of the fire flies took to playing with Raijah in much the same way they were with her.
It was so amazing!

Rhindeer

Jah-Jah--er, Raijah--watched Tana as she talked to the little creature, a small smile on his face. She really was good at this. A lot of people would just kind of stare like you like you were crazy if you suggested talking to an insect, and yet Tana fell into it easily and really, truly talked to the creature as though it were an equal. She certainly was a natural, and the firefly seemed to know it, to know she meant it no harm and to trust her utterly. Because for something that small, it certainly was a huge leap of faith to walk around in the very hands that, had they belonged to anyone else, could have easily smashed it.

Aw...and she called it her little friend! Raijah couldn't help but grin at that one because, well, damn, she really was adorable. And...that wasn't a word he often used, if ever, but it certainly applied to her and he couldn't think of another word that was more fitting. Then, after those softly spoken words, it was just a matter of waiting, waiting to see if she also had the natural born gift of most fae, dragonfly wings twitching behind him in suspense...

...As nothing happened.

Glancing over at Tana's face, Raijah tried to keep his own disappointment from showing, even as his wings practically wilted. Or...maybe she couldn't do it. She wasn't really a real faerie...she just had a faerie and a demon inside her, their souls at least. Still, he didn't want Tana to be sad about that--augh, maybe he shouldn't have gotten her hopes up by even suggesting it--so he offered up a quick grin in her direction, and even placed a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. "Hey, don't worry...maybe you just can't do it yet. You haven't been around that long, after all, or maybe you just have to focus more. Some of these things take time, but look, that one seems to trust you. That's certainly a start." That was no lie. It <I>was a good sign, so obviously she had something of a fae's aura about her.

In any case, it seemed that she hadn't quite given up yet, because she had closed her eyes, only to reopen them again as Raijah scooted in a little closer, still watching. But that was also when a flashing out of the corner of his eye caught his attention and he glanced back down toward her hands, where the tiny firefly was still stationed. And was flashing.

Yes!

He had no time to congratulate her, for that was when all the fireflies in the clearing gathered about them, wasting no time in flying about them, tiny wings and bodies brushing against his skin, tickling, a myriad of lights sparkling and flashing in the darkening clearing that was now bathed in ethereal yellow-green light. Raijah actually laughed as the little creatures tickled his arms and brushed against his neck, some landing in his hair and others resting on his wings, the irridescent blue membrane glowing oddly as they reflected the light. Chuckling, he held out his arms and let the fireflies fly about him, careful not to move too quickly lest he harm one of them. "Haha, Tana, you did it! And look, they really love you!" he laughed, a chill running up his spine as one brushed against the side of his neck.

Grinning brightly at Tana, he pointed carefully to her wings, where a bunch of fireflies had taken to landing on, just as they had decorated his own. Hmm...seemed they were trying to tell them something. After all, he had Tana both had insect wings just like they, even if hers were far more beautiful. "Hey...Tana? Did you still wanna learn how to fly?" Then, with a small smile, he added, "After all, you have some of the best teachers here right now with you."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Tana couldn't help the giggles that bubbled forth from deep within her. She couldn't believe it! It had actually worked...they trusted her and wanted to play! All the hundreds of little beatles brushing against her skin tickled like mad, which only made her giggle harder. She kept her arms lifted, her hands cupped, as so many little bodies landed on her and glowed, until it looked like her body was bathed in starlight, her hand cupping sparkling moondust of an iredescent hue.
It was pure amazing life that surrounded them then, and Tana was experiencing it for the first time in her short life.

Her aqua hair was alite with color, many glowing barretts in the long, flowing waves, like those of the sea. So many had landed on her wings, she could feel the tiny vibrations of their own minute energy thrumming along the edges of her delicate butterfly membranes. The light made them sparkle and glow, their colors coming out to their fullest. She smiled as one landed on her nose and blinked its little bum at her, pale pink eyes going crosseyed in an attempt to stare at him.
Only Jah-Jah's voice broke her out of this incredible trance.

She blinked a few times at him, her mouth opening and closing. "Fly?? I...do you think I can?? Could you and the fireflies teach me???" Her voice rose in pitch as hope and excitment filled her.
Suddenly, all the glowing fireflies lifted off from her in a hum of wings, as if answering in a resounding 'yes'. She stared up at them, flying around her head,waiting for her, but then the twist of fear tied in her gut.
She looked back down at Raijah and shivered a bit. "Do...do you really think I could do it?" She asked softly, her wings flipping very softly behind her, almost nervously in a way. Those wings could never lift her. Only magick could, of which she had no knowledge.
How well would this work?

Rhindeer

"Think? I know you can," Raijah answered firmly. Okay, maybe that was a lie. He didn't know. Not for sure. Those wings of hers were huge, too ornate, not the same functional wings that he possessed. It shouldn't be possible for her to fly, logically, but bumblebees could also fly, and they weren't supposed to be able to fly, either. They did anyway, so she could too. The trick was just figuring out how, but they had all the time in the world.

The fireflies seemed to think she could, too, as they lifted off of both she and him to illuminate the space above them. Grinning, feeling suddenly about as excited as Tana, Raijah stood up and held out a hand to her, to help her to her feet. "The fireflies know you can, too. And, honestly, there are more of them than there are of me. Majority rules, right?" he asked softly, glancing up briefly at the hundreds of glowing bodies above them before looking at Tana again seriously. "There's only one way to find out, anyway. Don't worry...whatever happens, I'm here, and I certainly won't let you fall, okay? We can teach you."

As though to reassure her, he reached out and brushed some blue hair back from her face. "Just relax and don't worry. That's all there is to it." Though Raijah wouldn't mention that this would be his first time teaching someone how to fly. "Now...just hold onto my shoulders," he instructed gently, and placed his own hands around her waist. "Even if you don't pick it up right away, you can still get a feel for it; I just want to let you get used to the height right now, to the sensation of what it's like to be up in the air. You're gonna have to trust me to not let you fall first, because when you're ready to learn for yourself, you're going to have to learn to trust yourself to keep you from falling. Now...are you ready?"

The fireflies sure were.

Amazing how mellow Raijah was now. Damn, but he couldn't even remember the last time he'd just...goofed off like this. Probably when he'd been younger, before he'd been smacked over the head with responsibility...

This was nice.

Ishtaq qould probably be having a blast right about now.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

She smiled at him and his reassurances, taking his hand as he offered it, and standing before him. She giggled and stared up at the fireflies. "Well, then I guess I can't fail, with so many having faith in me..."
She listened to him carefully, a bit surprised by his gentle action, the brushing away of her hair.
Did she no longer make him feel uncomfortable...?
She hoped so...

She set her hands gently on his shoulders as instructed, blushing a bit as he put his own hands on her hips. Why was she blushing...?
She took a few deep breaths, but a wave of fear crushed her, and she trembled.
Fighting it, she suddenly hugged Raijah close, her arms wrapped around his neck as she hid her face. Just being close to him helped to calm her, and finally, her shivering dissapeared.

She lifted her head a bit, looking up at the waiting firefiles. She would do this. She would.

"I trust you, Raijah. I trust you." She spoke softly, and released his neck a bit, though still kept a tight hold on him. She would do this. She could. She could trust him, trust the fireflies, and most importantly...
She could trust herself. Somehow she knew...

She would fly.

Rhindeer

"Exactly. Don't even think the word failure," he told her quiely as she set her hands on his shoulders, and it was lucky for them both that it was dark because he couldn't see her blush through the shadows and yellow-green light. Which also meant she probably couldn't see his own. All the better. Because, well, it was silly to get bashful over something like this...kind of immature to get embarrassed just because he was touching a woman. Jeez. Wasn't like they were doing anything...he was just trying to help her fly, and...where else was he supposed to hold her? That would be comfortable for her, that is, and keep her wings free.

He guessed it was just because he'd never really gotten all that close to anyone. Physically, that is. Wait, that sounded wrong! He just meant that he'd never really been one for touchy-feelie stuff like hugging and the like! His parents hadn't really been all that affectionate, so he guessed it had just kind of rubbed off on him. Which was something he really did, honestly, regret...Ishtaq had always gotten onto him about that, always bugging him about his little personal bubble and doing what she could to pop it.

For the time being, at least, it looked like it had, indeed, been popped. And truthfully? He really didn't mind it. It was sort of awkward, to be sure, but...

He was just glad...glad she could live. That, in and of itself, made him feel more comfortable around her, because, really...how could you be really comfortable around someone you were supposed to...get rid of?

Now, he could just relax. And honestly, he was too relieved and happy about that whole recent turn of events that his whole "personal bubble" deal didn't even really enter his head. That would just be petty.

Then, suddenly, Tana hugged him, throwing her arms around his neck and burying her face against him. Oookay, so it was one thing when they were a few inches apart, her holding him by the shoulders, but quite another when she was pressed up against him! To his own amazement, though, his blush didn't deepen. Even more surprising to him was that he wrapped his arms around her when he felt her shiver, rubbing her back, or at least the part where her wings weren't in the way, in soothing little circles. It just seemed the natural thing to do. "Hey...don't be afraid...it's okay..."

Though he could imagine being up there in the air would be quite intimidating...hell, the prospect was intimidating to him! He couldn't even remember how he'd learned, and to teach someone else...oh boy. He was no teacher, but that didn't mean he couldn't try.

Still, he held her until she calmed and loosened her grip, then he nodded at her words and and slid his hands back down to her waist, gripping firmly but carefully. "Alright, then, if you're ready. I'll just count to three, okay? Then we'll give this a shot. You don't have to do anything yet, just relax, alright? So...here we go...one...two...three."

His wings snapped open, electric blue dragonfly wings, and, gripping Tana, he pushed lightly off the ground as his wings began to work in a blur of motion, their buzzing unusually quiet. Perhaps magic was involved with his flight--truthfully, Raijah never had been sure, because it just came so naturally, and because magic itself was simply such a natural, vital part of his life, as natural as breathing. But, that's just how it was with his kind. Still, it probably did have something to do with magic. Those wings might have been able to carry him, but to be able to lift Tana, too...well, they hardly seemed strong enough, delicate insect wings that were quite unlike the feathered wings of other, stronger flying creatures.

Still, however it happened, he managed to lift Tana off of the ground with him, holding her closely and securely as the ground dropped out from beneath them, and the fireflies followed. Or rather, they lead.

Finally, after a moment, Raijah paused, hovering above the trees with the mountains spreading out below. "You okay?" he asked.

Anonymous

Tana tried to steady her breathing, even as Raijah started to count down. She thought she was doing well...
Until she felt her feet begin to lift off the ground.
Her fingers dug into him and her breath caught in her throat.

Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid.

Don't.Be.Afraid...

But then she looked out past his wings, which were nothing but a blur of blue movement, and suddenly saw how far up they already were.
With a squeal of fright, she grabbed him tightly again, burying her face into his neck, eyes closed and moist with unfallen tears.
She did not know why it was so scary, it just was. She had wings, and she was with Raijah, who she trusted. Yet it still scared her half out of her mind, her only comfort the feeling of Raijah's body, which was the only solid thing she had to touch now.

Her entire body trembled tensely, and she could not for the life of her fight off the fear that had locked every one of her muscles. Her belly did flip-flops, and she could hear her heart thudding in her ear even as she sucked in air through her nose.
His question had an obvious response.
"No." She squeaked, not even reassurred by the fireflies that brushed against her.

She just...couldn't...stop...shaking...

Rhindeer

Gah! That...had not been the reaction he'd been going for. He wasn't trying to scare her, and certainly not enough to bring tears to her eyes! Then again...erk...maybe this had been a bit too sudden. She'd never flown before. She was new to this life. And what did he do? He shot straight up into the air who knew how many feet above the ground! Maybe that hadn't been the smartest move. His mistake. He was so used to flying himself, and being around people who flew, that he forgot that there was such a thing as a fear of heights!

But Tana was a faerie. She had wings! And wings and a fear of heights just...didn't initially register in Raijah's head. It didn't seem possible since it was just so natural for him. So for a few moments, all Raijah could do was stare at the top of her blue head as she clung to him, as she told him that no, she wasn't okay, and as she shivered so helplessly in his arms. The way she was breathing made him think she was on the verge of hyperventilating! Oh shit...

...Hadn't he been frightened his first time flying? When he'd had to be taught? Yeah, he had. He'd been scared out of his wits of falling...but not this scared because he'd grown up around people and creatures that flew, and lived high up in the enormous trees his clan built their homes in. He'd never been afraid of heights. Just falling when he was learning to fly. Kind of weird, but that's how it went.

"Oh...oh...Tana...hold on, I'll get us back down..." he said hurriedly and, clutching her tighter against him, he very slowly began to lower them back down toward the ground. Maybe they should start out lower and slowly work their way higher...

Yeesh...this teaching business was going to be difficult. He'd never had to teach anyone anything before. Gah...maybe he wasn't cut out for it...and the last thing he wanted to do was to give her a heart attack or something!

Wings a blur, he finally stopped their descent when they were only about ten feet off the ground, simply hovering above the land like that. Yeah...he was starting them off really low, eh heh. "Tana? Tana, open your eyes. We're lower now...just look. I'm sorry...I probably shouldn't have, ah...gone up so high like that right away. I won't do that again, okay? Do you want to go back down completely, take a break?" He was seriously worried that he'd traumatized her or something.

Anonymous

She felt them start to descend, and that, coupled with his holding her tighter, began to sooth her fright. She could feel the fireflies continue to brush along her face and the bare portion of her back and legs, trying to calm her shivering.
"I..I'm sorry! I don't know why I'm so scared..." She said softly, still clinging to him, her toes yearning to touch the ground.
But then, they stopped.

Fear jumped back into her throat, but at his words, she relaxed. She trusted him...
She wanted to make this a good experience. She wouldn't be afraid!
Drawing up some bravery, Tana peeked open those rosey eyes, her heart jumping.
But...they were close to the ground, just as he had promised. With a shivering sigh, Tana felt a good part of her fear wash away.
"No...no, I want to stay in the air. I want to learn how to fly with you Raijah."
She took a deep breath and pulled back alittle, trying to force her hands to relax on Raijah's shoulders, even as she looked around tentatively. Their nighttime world was lit up by the fireflies and the stars, and she smiled gently at the beauty of it all.
She loved it...being able to see these things...

She looked back to her faerie companion with a new feeling of confidence.
"Alright." She shivered alittle, trying not to let the fear of this foreign sensation get to her.
"Can we try going higher? Just...um...slowly please." She smiled sheepishly. Sure, she was getting her bravery up, but it only went so far!

Rhindeer

"No, it's okay...that was my fault," Raijah said quickly, glancing down a bit sheepishly. "I shouldn't have just assumed that you'd just automatically be okay with heights just because you have wings..." She shouldn't be the one apologizing! What did she have to apologize over? At this point, his hands were no longer around her waist; rather, almost unbeknownst to him, he'd pulled her closer, his arms looped around her back and under her wings to hold her more securely. One hand kneaded lightly against the bare skin there, as though to calm her. "Don't apologize, okay? It's okay to be scared; just let me know if what I'm doing is scaring you--I want us to go at whatever pace you're comfortable with, alright?"

He waited patiently, just hovering there above the ground with her, ready to stay there as long as she needed, or to land and give up for the night if that's what she wanted. He may know nothing about teaching, but he did imagine that there was no sense in forcing anything or pushing her--she needed to go at her own pace, otherwise she might just get scared of flying altogether! And what a waste that would be...flying was wonderful, and she had such huge, gorgeous wings...

Gods, he hoped those wings could support her...he hoped she could fly.

Raijah nodded slowly when she bravely said that she wanted to stay in the air, that she wanted to learn. "Okay...we can do that." He didn't go any lower or higher, though; he would wait for her instructions, for what she wanted to do, and he was content to just watch the fireflies swirl around them, sparkling like the stars that were so far away. He felt Tana's hands relax a little, fingers no longer biting into his shoulders, and he turned his attention back to her face and smiled a little, encouragingly.

That's when she said it, her courage building, and Raijah chuckled a little. "Of course. Just tell me when to stop, and I can stop, or tell me to slow down if I'm going too fast," he told her gently before, slowly, he sped up his wings and began to rise--slowly, practically inching his way up. "...Or to speed up if I'm going too slow," he added with a wry grin.

He doubted that would be happening any time soon, though!