Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Failure This Sickle Moon

Started by Anonymous, May 07, 2006, 05:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

There was something strange about the slender girl with the fiery locks walking in the woods. She looked perfectly ordinary, and could have easily been, say, a tanner's daughter. But there was something fishy about the way her movements seemed disconnected,how things moved a second before she grabbed for them, and something extremely unnerving about the way she gazed around intently with stunning, golden-brown eyes. There was something barbaric about the way she bared sharp fangs in greeting to strangers, and peculiarly, she wouldn't allow people within five feet of her. Some reasoned that she was a supernatural creature masquerading as a human(and doing poorly), while others simply thought that the poor girl was wrong in the head. Didn't she know how dangerous it was, in the dark, with all the beasties around?

Those less keen ones would not know her for what she was, a beast and a predator deprived of fresh meat too long, having lived off sausages bought from merchants. They, in her opinion, were delicious, but they had none of the fine warmth and sweetness of fresh-caught, raw meat. It was that that the predator missed, the final gush of blood, the death rattle, and of course, the excitement of the stalking and the bite.

Wandering deeper into the dark forest, she shucked her illusions like a snake does its skin, revealing the catlike umvari underneath. She was a predator, and unique in that she was the only one of her species alive. For that, at least, she could thank Ilrich, that he had made no brothers or sisters to compete with her. And for that, she could curse him, for making her the perpetual loner who shall never find a mate, who shall forever be the spectacle for the wondering townsman. As if I were a show, may My Lady see fit to punish him with poverty and many mouths to feed. Aisling lashed her tails angrily, cursing him with a minor curse of the Great Lady of Eternity. She settled down on all fours, cloaking herself in a skin of shadows under the oak tree. She placed down, respectfully, the cedar sprig that she held in her left hand, dedicating it to the Heart-Eater, the Forbidden One. Standing back up, the umvari backed away three steps slowly, before leaping away, using her nose to guide her to her prey. Her duty this sickle moon was done.

It was now time for more mundane matters, the getting of her prey. She weakened her illusions a bit, partly to be fair to the hamami she was stalking, and partly because she wanted to concentrate all her energy and attention upon her kill.

Closer, closer, she approached her grazing, mishappen prey. He was a young hamami buck, with only three points on his antlers. He would grow no more, if Aisling had her way. Such a beautiful buck he was, that Aisling regretted briefly her task. She closed the distance between them, on all fours.

The hamami male froze. He was a young buck, and harem-less and inexperienced. But he had still sensed the danger to him, with that uncanny and inconvenient ability of the hamami to perceive emotions. Had he caught her feelings of anticipation? Aisling froze, slitting her eyes. She shifted quietly, getting into attack position.

This time, the hamami fully recognized her existance, and with the high yelp that the hamami gave when chased, he fled into the cover of the forest. Aisling didn't bother chasing after him. Cursing fluently in the Goddess's tongue, she tried to catch more scents. But alas, there were no more. It seemed that the umvari would have to go without meals this sickle moon. Or perhaps not. She would wait until the hamami came back. Aisling was patient, and this was a prime feeding site. To pass the time, Aisling used her hands to comb through the fleas on her tail.

Anonymous

It was dark out now, and that worried him. Any hopes he'd carried of finding his brother before the sun went down were burned away long ago.

Terrific. Now what?

Mesa lumbered up beside him, pressing his furry cheek to Erislan's shoulder. The unicorn frowned, sighed, and shoved at him lightly. "Stop that. Go make yourself useful; circle around again, see if you can find Aslah. He can't be that easy to miss."

Clucking irritably, the griffen lashed its tail, turned and went fluttering off up through the trees. Eri stood still until all he could hear was the sound of wind-rustled leaves overhead. One corner of his mouth twitched up slightly in irritation. Another sigh and he was off, maneuvering between the trees and pushing lower branches out of his way with gloved hands. His brother had to be around somewhere -- pause, 'Did I just hear something...? ...No, my imagination.'

The two brothers (and Aslaha's rather dimwitted pet, Mesa) had been traveling for close to two months now, and thus far Eri had managed not to lose him. And now, in a forest of all places where they should have felt perfectly at home, he couldn't find his blind sibling anywhere. As the hours rolled by, he grew increasingly worried, fighting down the panic bubbling inside him.

For the first time since the start of their journey, Eri was wishing there was someone out here to ask for assistance. One had to wonder if he was more worried about Aslah being alone without him, or him being alone without Aslah.

Anonymous

One did not learn to kill heroes without first finding them. Well, maybe the unicorn-creature she had just spotted didn't really count as a hero(it was more of a mythical monster sort of creature) but the principle still applied. Aisling spotted him easily. The creature took absolutely no care at all in concealing his tracks. Didn't the thing know that there were predators in the woods? Predators such as herself?

Aisling gave her tail a last lick before padding closer to where the creature was. Yellow eyes regarded him thoughtfully. Apparently, the creature had all of his senses intact, which was a pity. He didn't seem to be limping or injured in any way. Such a pity. She shifted position, preparing to spring, but it unfortunately caused a great deal of noise. Or at least, a great deal of noise to Aisling's cat-ears. To anyone else, it might have simply sounded like an innocent rustle of leaves.

Anonymous

(Sorry for slow response. My computer's currently out of commission, so I can really only update from work on my breaks. =_=; Hopefully the problem will be fixed tonight.)

For someone as paranoid and alert as Eri, the smallest sound stood out to him. He froze and held his breath, looking around slowly. But without the sun overhead, things were so dark and Oena, unfortunately, were not blessed with any sort of night-vision. His gaze skimmed right over Aisling, and he did indeed brush the noise off as some rabbit or something skittering through the brush.

In which case... "Oi, someone there?" He crouched, tail curling neatly about his feet and wings fluttering a bit. "It's okay, come on out." While Erislan hadn't been born with the gift of empathy like his brother had, he had his own little talent of speaking to animals in a way that they understood him - and being able to understand them, as well. He was sort of hoping that maybe if there were rabbits or birds fluttering around and making noises, they might have seen his brother wandering around.

Anonymous

Though she hadn't really thought that the unicorn-thing was just an animal, it still was a bit disappointing to the hungry predator. Eating fully intelligent creatures was just so...uncivilized. She quickly wove herself the illusory image of a young, red-haired female with an uncannily feline look.

She stepped out from where she had been hiding. "Greetings." The girl frowned. "And what brings you to the woods at this hour?" It was only then that she realized that she had perhaps made a faux pas-that one question might lead to questions about what she was doing in the woods right now. And the truth would probably give the creature a heart attack, or at least very severe shock.

Anonymous

Eri startled. He'd been staring so intently more towards ground level, that he was confused by human legs meeting his eyes when the woman stepped into view. He got to his feet quickly, looking a lot surprised and a little out of sorts. Something said this man was the type to get easily distressed and flustered.

"I'm sorry - ah, I'm just looking for my brother. Perhaps you've seen him? About this tall, pretty... He's blind and I've been looking for him for hours." He found himself with a feeling of relief - Ah, if this woman was here, then maybe the forest wasn't as deserted as it looked and someone had found Aslah! - and then horror. Maybe the forest wasn't as deserted as it looked and someone had found - and hurt - Aslah!

Anonymous

(OOC: Exactly what does Eri look like? I'm getting the impression of a unicorn with hards...)

Inside her illusion, Aisling smirked. Obviously, the person was quite ill-at-sorts. "I assume that your brother is the type to tramp around in woods?" she asked, amusement thinly veiled. "Otherwise, I think there would be little use looking for him here. Especially since the woods are far from safe." All right, Aisling was hardly in a good mood. She'd been deprived of two meals: one because of foolish clumsiness and the other because the meal turned out not to be a meal. And she had had no fresh meat for days. "Although I fancy myself a relatively fine tracker..." The girl waited expectantly.

And yes, she did expect an answer. She wanted a bribe...that is, payment for services rendered in the near future. A fresh carcass would be preferred, but if the man was a wimp and couldn't catch a meal for her, then some coins.

Anonymous

>[ooc: He looks entirely human save for the wings/tail/horn. I'll try to remember to post a pic of him and his brother when I get home from work tonight. ^^ ]

Eri severely lacked his brother's book-smarts, but he was smart in other ways and he sort of got the feeling what this woman wanted. He seemed to lose some of the flustered air about him and he frowned, pursing his lips in thought. His pride almost had him opening his mouth to tell her to shove off, that he was a tracker just fine on his own and didn't need her services if she required payment...

And then he thought of his brother, lost out in the dangerous woods somewhere and any defiance fled from his mind and he swallowed his pride, mis-matched eyes lowering to the ground.

"A tracker is what I need. I don't suppose there's something in particular I could offer you as payment?" He had little money on him, but he'd have gladly given it all over if it meant finding his sibling.

Anonymous

Aisling considered him thoughtfully. He seemed to be acting rather peculiar, even stingy, considering that his brother was lost and wandering in the woods alone. Pride and humans seemed to go hand in hand, even if the humans in question weren’t quite human. She tsked mentally. Obviously, the man wasn’t in a mood to be generous. Such a pity.

She began to turn to go. He and his brother could rot in the woods, for all she cared. At the sound of his voice, she froze, however, and returned to her original position. A smug smile hanging on her lips, the woman answered, “That depends on what you are willing to offer.� To give him a hint, she added pointedly, “Food tends to be a bit scarce these days.�

Anonymous

The first thought passing through Eri's paranoid little mind was something akin to, 'Wait a sec- you can't eat me!', until he realized she more meant to go and get food for her.

"That depends," he shifted his weight a little, uncomfortable. "I can't hunt, if that's what you're asking. I can't kill animals." It was hard to kill something you could talk to - besides, the scent of blood would likely make him sick. "If you like fruits, however, that I can get for you."

Anonymous

Not eat meat? The thought appalled her. What would she want with carbohydrates instead? Still, on the bright side, at least her illusions were still holding quite strongly. She pursed her lips, "Very well then. I doubt that me and mine would be interested in some fruit. After all, they're just about everywhere, are they not?"

She frowned. Still searching for his brother would provide some welcome relief from boredom. "I'll do it cheap, just for you. Name a price." Aisling was being blunt now.

Anonymous

Her bluntness was enough for Eri to almost tell her off and go find his brother on his own.

Almost.

Instead, he grit his teeth, tugged a pouch from his belt and held it out. "It's all I have, so take it or leave it." It wasn't a particularly meager offering, but it wasn't huge, either. Aslah kept most of their money, as Eri had a bad tendancy to get pick-pocketed. He simply wasn't alert enough the way his blind brother was when in crowded places. "That can keep you well-fed for a week; two, if you make it stretch. Do we have a deal?"

Anonymous

She decided to take the deal. After all, it wouldn't be so hard to track him, and anyways, it would be fun. Aisling smiled smugly, but decided not to make a comment about how he'd seen sense. After all, he seemed pushed enough already. "Yes, we do. Now, do you have anything that belongs to your brother? I need to..." she hesitated, and chose her words carefully. "...get the scent. But nothing iron. Please." Iron and Aisling didn't get along very well together.

Anonymous

Eri gave her a bit of a scowl before he remembered that he was supposed to be polite to girls. At that point, he turned away so she couldn't see him scowling. "I have plenty of his things; hold on."

With that, he brought two fingers to his lips and gave a sharp, shrill whistle. And then he lowered his hand, stood patiently, and could practically count down the seconds before the familiar flutter of large wings sounded overhead.

Mesa was a large creature, and none-too quiet as he came zipping down from the trees overhead and landing with a resounding thump next to Eri. He squawked, stomped his paws around a bit, and then pricked up his ears as he turned to stare at Aisling in bewilderment. The look he gave Eri right after stupidly said, 'That's not Aslah...'

Anonymous

Aisling stared doubtfully at the cat-bird. She'd assumed that the 'thing' he'd mentioned was really a thing, instead of a live creature which looked like a potential meal. Or maybe that was his brother. Her eyes narrowed angrily at the thought of being duped. "If that's your brother..." she said in a dangerous voice, and decided not to finish the rest of the sentence. She had yet to decide a punishment in case he had been duping her, but one thing was for sure, it would definitely not be pleasant.

(OOC: Sorry for the shortness)

Anonymous

Eri gave her a baleful look, scritching a hand over Mesa's head while the griffen clucked and chirped irritably. "My brother's a lot prettier than this guy," he said flatly, and went to one of the packs strapped to either of the creature's sides. One belonged to himself, the other to Aslah, so it wasn't hard to open up the latter and pull out a blanket Aslah'd been using just the night before.

"Will this work?" he asked, turning to look at Aisling and extending the blanket out towards her. If it wasn't, he had some of his brother's clothing, his hairbrush and even his hair pins.

((S'okay. XD; Mine always tend to be short-ish anyway.))

Anonymous

Oh good, the thing wasn't his brother, since she was feeling a bit unimaginative lately. Still, a good old gouging of the eyes would have taken care of him, although she couldn't in all honor do that now since he hadn't tricked her. Ah well. He had been starting to annoy her. The one-horn-man was so rigid, so ethical. It was enough to give Aisling a bad taste in the mouth.

As for his comment that his brother was a lot prettier than the cat-bird, she narrowed her eyes speculatively. Did that mean he was attracted to his brother? Incest would hardly improve their reputation. Aisling smiled smugly. If she ever needed something to blackmail him with, she'd just accuse him of incest. How very clever of her! Even if it proably wasn't true.

She looked at the blanket distastefully, but took it reluctantly. Why did people need those ugly things, anyways? They were  cumbersome, too. Couldn't they just grow some fur? Aisling gave it a quick sniff. She might not have been a dog, but she did have a moderately good nose. The scent was strong, and completely unpleasant. The poor brother had only two legs. She wondered idly how he managed to survive. Aisling decided to save that problem for later. After all, she hadn't been hired to investigate the mysteries of life.  "Yes, it will do." she replied, her distaste evident as she handed it back to him. She didn't want to hold it for any longer than she had to.

As for the scent...she thought that she could smell a whiff of his brother, although it was faint.

Anonymous

His frown deepened, and he took the blanket back, folding it with care and replacing it into the pack it belonged in. Aslah's scent was akin to flowers and water and cold air, where Eri's was better described as spices and warmth and earth. They were as different in the way they smelled as they were in personality and looks.

Mesa was still chirping obnoxiously, and Eri had to give his ear a tug and a sharp scolding to get him quiet. Once the blanket was back where it belonged, he cast a sidelong glance back at Aisling.

"Alright, lead the way." If she could. He was getting a little skeptical that she could find his brother purely by scent alone. But, hey, he'd seen his blind brother learn how to fight, seen people raised from the dead, wooden puppets possessed by ghosts and all sorts of other things far weirder than a (mostly) human-looking girl tracking by scent.

Anonymous

She saw that he seemed not to share her distaste regarding his brother's scent. Who liked flowers, anyways? Annoying little things, and they came with bees, too. Still, his brother's scent was easy to distinguish, and she could pick it up easily.

Aisling smirked at the griffon. She had long envied their gift of flight, and watching one-even a stupid, domesticated one-being reprimanded was always a satisfying sight. Realizing that her employer would no doubt find something wrong with that, she turned and hastily followed the direction of the smell. It would hardly do to irritate her priggish employer any more than she had to.

She paused, considering a tree, bewildered. This was...strange. The smell seemed stronger on some parts of the tree's bark. Had he leaned against it to take a rest? No, he couldn't have, unless he was a contortionist or small and hovering.

The most logical explanation, it seemed to her, was that he'd touched it. But that didn't make much sense. Why was he touching it, leaving his smell for others to find? There were creatures in here that daunted even her.

Anonymous

Eri pondered riding Mesa to follow after Aisling, but seeing as the bird-creature tended to get hissy when anyone but Aslah rode him, he decided not to risk making a fool of himself to try. Instead, he merely trailed after her, feet nearly soundless as he picked his way through the mess of leaves, bark, sticks and grass underfoot.

Mesa, however, was not so graceful nor quiet, and proceeded to squawk everytime a branch smacked him in the face or he stumbled over something. At some point, Eri muttered something along the lines of, "Picture of grace he is not," to himself.

When his companion stopped, he stopped as well, and looked to the tree she was examining. "What is it?"