Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Raiders of the Lost Temple (DragonSong)

Started by Saber, January 22, 2023, 01:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber

Wearing some leather armor Meeta advanced amongst a party of more than dozen sailors and fellow mercenaries through a thick jungle. As the captain leading ahead cut down some more foliage the Essnyri wiped some sweat from her brow. "Keep up, you're not going to be paid for stopping." An angry voice barked behind her.

Meeta scowled but refused to look back as she kept marching on. The ship quartermaster wasn't a pleasant elf at all.

As long as I get my share of loot I can deal with that foolishness. But if there isn't at the end I just might kick his teeth in.

Keeping those thoughts to herself Meeta stayed on course with the company. All around they can hear bugs chirping, monkeys screeching and birds squawking in the distance. Admittedly the former slave did find the jungle rather fascinating. Certainly more different than her homeland.

Twenty minutes later the company stopped in their tacks beholding a ruined temple. The captain, a middle aged Aldean glanced down at his map before nodding.

"This is it! Alright let's split up into the groups to cover more ground."

Much to Meeta's frustration she was paired with the elven quartermaster with several sailors. One of them leered with a smug smirk at her but in retaliation she subtly placed her leg in his path and the crew member tripped and hit the dirt. Coughing he looked up as Meeta went on, saying.

"Watch your step."

DragonSong

Melisma was sleeping when she first heard the approach of the raiders. At first she thought it was part of her dream--a very odd vision of talking coral, whose voices suddenly grew coarse and hard as the group approach and the sound filtered into her sleep.

The dragon blinked her eyes open slowly, cracking her jaws in a wide yawn as she lifted her head from her forepaws. She was curled up in the open courtyard of her temple home--well, she thought it was a temple, once. These days, it was mostly just an outline of carefully carved buildings that had been all up swallowed up by the jungle. The "courtyard", in fact, may once have been a central chamber of some sort; the roof had long since collapsed, leaving it open to the sky, and vines and trees had crept in over the stone to create a lush, green carpet.

She fanned her wings, shaking herself a bit as she woke up properly, then cocked her head. It sounded like...her visitors seemed to be approaching from the southeast, the direction of the nearest beach. The ruins of her home were essentially a lengthy tunnel in that direction, one that she couldn't even fit through in her true form.

Perhaps she'd best wait here, then...

Saber

"Bless the gods that the Cap found that treasure map." One young sailor whispered as the quartermaster's group advanced into the breach. Meeta said nothing while silently checking her surroundings. Quickly another retorted.

"Assuming there is anything here at all."

"Come on, the cap wouldn't waste time on a venture unless there is a reward."

The older sailor shook his head. "Our captain does have a talent for finding loot but we don't know what's in there."

"Ya both shut your traps and focus. I can barely hear myself think without you two old ladies gossiping." The quartermaster interrupted, clearly annoyed with his subordinates. The latter duo did fall silent as Meeta rolled her eyes and the others snickered.

The sooner we get this done the sooner I'm away from this lot.

As they marched on in the tunnel they lit up torches to light their path. Meeta held one and briefly examined the left wall noting some inscriptions of a now forgotten language. Minutes later they came out of the end of the tunnel...

DragonSong

Melisma waited in the middle of her inner courtyard, head up and forepaws folded daintily in front of her body. The sounds of approaching footsteps--coming from the southeast, the nearest beach--perked her ears toward the tunnel, and she shifted a bit, letting her wings unfurl slightly as she tilted her head curiously and sniffed the air.

It was the first time she'd had visitors to her home, though she supposed she should have known it was only a matter of time.

As the group emerged, she blinked, a little taken aback. Not Yoreiqi. A shiver of instinctive wariness ran down her spine, fluffing her feathers and lifting her ruff slightly. She had admittedly limited experience with mainlanders--though her first meeting with them hadn't exactly gone well.

Still. That was no reason to be impolite. Not just yet, anyhow.

"Hello." Her voice was low and musical, somehow combining bird and whale song into human words. She arched her neck to get a better look at the strangers, cocking her head from side to side.

Saber

Upon the sight of the dragon all of the team stopped in their very tracks. Eyes widened and jaws dropped they stared back in utter silence saved for the wildlife outside. For a few moments there was nothing but tension until suddenly the one of the younger sailor cried out.

"Dragon run!"

Without further hesitation they ran back into the tunnel knocking Meeta as they did so. Grunting she cursed at them as she groaned. Forcing herself to sit the former slave suddenly remembered the dragon. Hear pounding she slowly tuned her head to see it again...

DragonSong

Well. That was all rather dramatic.

Was she that terrifying?

Melisma looked down at herself, then around, as though she might find just what had frightened them so much.

Just her, it seemed.

She sighed and shook her head. Oh—but it seemed...

There was one left.

"Er...hello?" she tried again, cocking her head at the woman left behind. "Are you quite alright?"

Saber

Meeta stared feeling growing fear at the sight of the talking creature. Having one bad experience with a dragon in the past she wasn't thrilled to be at the mercy of another.

Yet the Essnyri noticed something odd. The dragon's eyes were...gentle and so was her voice! She blinked a few times at the realization.

Nothing like that one in the castle from years ago.

Even still Meeta was wary. Only moments later did the dragon's question registered to her. Clearing the throat she answered.

"Uhh...I...am okay."

Awkward silence followed before she added.

"You live...here?"

Grimacing Meeta mentally kicked herself. What kind of foolish question is that?

DragonSong

Melly continued to eye the stranger as she got her bearings, still unsure. These were mainlanders, and her experience with humans not of her islands was...limited. And unpleasant.

She shuffled her wings a bit, a flash of bright color in the dimming green-gold light of the jungle ruins, and cocked her head the other way.

She nodded slowly in response to her question. "I do, yes. Well—not here, here, not this exact spot. Not all the time. My den is further in."

She started to nod her head in the direction of the stepped building where she had made her home, then hesitated.

Maybe she shouldn't be telling a stranger where she slept...

Saber

This is so awkward... Thought Meeta while keeping her nervous glance upon the dragon. Not the largest but still the creature towered in size. Briefly she glanced over to the direction that the dragon gestured toward as her den.

She's more friendly enough than I would've expected.

Sweating coming down her brow, Meeta gulped before saying.

"I'm Meeta...what is your name?"

DragonSong

"Oh." The dragon shuffled her wings again and quite obviously tried to settle herself, as though embarrassed by a lapse in manners. She dipped her head. "I'm called Melly. Well, my name is Melisma, but usually I just go by Melly. A pleasure to meet you, Meeta."

She cocked her head slightly to eye the human from a different angle. "I don't mean to be rude, but...what are you doing here? I hardly ever get visitors, and never mainlanders."

Saber

"A dragon with manners. Who would've thought."

Whispered the former gladiator. At Melly's next question Meeta bite her lips before rubbing the side of her neck with one hand. She opened her mouth to speak but words failed to come out and she closed her lips. Seconds later Meeta mustered the courage to confess.

"Well I was hired to help hunt for treasure rumored to be buried...in this temple."

Immediately raising both hands she added.

"But we didn't know about you living here honest truth. Beside those sea rats left me to die so I don't feel any loyalty to them."

DragonSong

"I...see."

Melly blinked, turning that over in her mind. "Well...I'm certainly not going to be the cause of your death, or anyone else's," she told her after a moment. "Not unless you give me very good reason."

She hummed quietly, the sound echoing between her chest and throat. "I cannot let you simply loot the place, however. It is still my home."

Saber

Meeta didn't know if she should feel relief or dread despite Melly's 'reassurance'. The former slave gulped down fear nodding.

"I totally understand. It would be suicidal for me in all honesty. No gold is worth more than my desire to live my life as I see it."

Pausing Meeta was surprised at herself for confessing such a detail. Well being a possibly life or death situation might tend to do that.

DragonSong

The dragon blinked again, like a considering cat, as she cocked her head first one way, then another.

"That is why you came here, then?" she asked lightly. "Gold? Treasure? Or the adventure itself?"

Saber

The former slave pondered on that question briefly. Then looking back at the dragon she answered.

"Yes adventure is my main goal in life. Sure having some gold is nice and all but I'm not going steal anything from you to do so."

DragonSong

Melly made a low, considering noise somewhere deep in her throat. "And...how is that working out for you?" she asked after a moment. "It didn't seem like your companions were particularly...loyal."

Saber

Meeta sighed and nodded. "Well in all honesty this was the first job I did with them and it is certainly the last one. I mostly journey around alone anyway."

Hoping to find a way to keep the dragon calm as possible she decided to change the subject. Clearing her throat Meeta asked.

"So are you the only dragon in these parts?"

DragonSong

Melly snorted quietly at the question, looking away. Despite the general fierceness of a dragon's features--even one as atypical as her--there was a certain sadness in her expression.

"...Yes," she replied quietly. "For as long as I've been alive, at least. As far as I know, I'm the only dragon on the isles."

Saber

That question probably wasn't the best one to ask. Meeta fought to remain calm. Despite the fact Melly hadn't threatened her yet the former slave didn't want to take chances.

Legs getting sore Meeta kept her hands while slowly heading over to a stone to sit down on. Seeing the dragon's expression she couldn't help but feel a sense of pity.

"Um...sorry about that. Well you do have quite the spacious place here and island is beautiful. I wager it's must be wonderful sight below when you fly around."