Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Watery Echoes

Started by Anonymous, May 10, 2006, 05:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was mother nature's cruel idea of a joke to have it start raining now. The rivers and lakes were already filling higher than they had in the past three years, and the bridges were covered as a result. In fact, the only way to cross now, was to try and swim across.

It was also his parents' cruel idea of a joke to name him River when he couldn't swim. ...Not that they'd have known that when he was born, but that wasn't the point!

The blonde scowled, hugging his shivering form tightly and pacing up and down the wet, muddied grass along the stream's bank. Or what had been a stream and now looked more like a small lake. Go figure. River's sour look only deepened and he inched forward until the water was lapping at his toes, thinking just maybe he could try and get across because it couldn't  be that deep, could it? So he'd just go slow and--okaymaybenotlet'sscootbacknow. He scrabbled backwards as he started to slip forward and his feet came out from under him.

His rear hit the soft ground while his feet searched for traction, of which he found none. The mud gave way and it was all he could do to twist halfway around and dig his fingers into the earth and hold on for dear life.

A few seconds of clinging and trembling passed, and River squinched his eyes shut and tried dragging himself back up to where the ground was level. He managed upwards a few inches, groping and digging and scrambling as best as he could. Just another foot or so... half a foot... ten inches... Almost there-!

And suddenly the rock embedded into the mud that he'd been using as a foothold came loose, and he went sliding right back down to where he'd started and then some - clear into the water.

Well. He learned the hard way that the water was a hell of a lot deeper than it looked. And as rushing as it had looked from above, the undercurrents made finding proper footing impossible. River managed to get himself to air once or twice, gasping in and inhaling half water as the current pulled him back under again and again. The sound was deafening, worsened by the steady onslaught of rain overhead.

Eventually, the sound dulled out and his lungs stopped hurting from the lack of air and everything was dark.

Maybe he couldn't swim, but apparently mother nature or god or whatever there was in the world seemed to think he had an affinity for water, because it would seem drowning wasn't on the schedule for him. Eventually the rain let up, and the night passed, and the little blonde boy's body half washed up onto a flat area of shore, where he lay sprawled face-down and unconscious.

Anonymous

Avivi loved the smell of the air after rainfall, and with a storm like they had the previous night, he was itching to go for a walk and not even the orders in his workshop could keep him from the siren's call of an early morning walk.

A dead body could end it pretty quickly though.

Avivi ran over to the body's side, hopeing maybe there was still some chance of rescue. he tilted the kid's head back and tried to pump the water from his lungs (carefully, though, he didn't want the kid to wake up with broken ribs), and breathe air back into his lungs.

'Come on, kid, breathe.' was the mantra that echoed in his head as he worked on saving the boy's life, hoping against hope his efforts weren't in vain.

Anonymous

It didn't take too long to get results. Not ten seconds later, the boy's rose-colored eyes flew open and he started to cough, scrambling to get onto this side so he could heave up the water in his lungs. He half-lay like that for a good several minutes, propped on one elbow and his other dirty hand braced against the ground until he relearned how to breathe. It was a rather painful process.

Afterwards, he panted and wheezed for a moment or two, then lifted his head and went still as he glanced around - seemingly oblivious to Avivi's presence there. ...He was alive?

Even better. There was the sun in the east - he'd gotten to the other side of the river! ...Wait, what time of day was it? Was the sun going up or down? Augh!

Finally River's gaze panned over Vi and then settled there, and he blinked a few times as though trying to figure out when he'd gotten there. How's that for gratitude?

"Who're you?"

Anonymous

Avivi blinked, hand still  in the air where River's back had once been, frozen in its motion of rubbing the boy's back. "Eh? Oh, I'm Vi. You alright? You gave me quiet a scare there, for a minute, uh... who are you, anyway?"

Anonymous

River glanced around once more, blinking in a dazed sort of way. "Uh..." Where was he, exactly? This place wasn't familiar in the least.

Slowly, the blonde boy rocked back onto his heels, lost his balance and landed on his rear. It was then he happened to cast a look down at his legs and arms and... oh. Oh god. he was filthy. Not to mention sopping wet and cold. He'd lost his shoes somewhere in the current, and the small bag of supplies he'd been carrying. The only thing that he'd managed to keep was his flute, tied extra secure on his belt. Thank god for that.

"...River," he said finally, when he'd gotten over the shock of being filthy and uncomfortable and nearly possesionless. "My name is River. Uh, where am I?" And was there warm water and a bath nearby? Ugh.

Anonymous

Vi smiled at River, trying to be reassuring. "You are near the town of Vyrilise." If five miles towards Avivi's house, which in and of itself was seven miles from the town, could be counted as "near". "You look like you could do with a bath. Are you up for a little bit of a walk? I can offer you food and shelter."

It would be nice to have some company while he worked, at least.

Anonymous

River squinted at the new person, obviously wary. Why would he offer a complete stranger food and shelter? Was he stupid? Not only was that dangerous (although this guy, uh, looked like he could handle himself just fine...) but that cost money, putting another person up! Money that he certainly wouldn't be willing to spend (as though he had any) if their positions were reveresed.

"Uh..." He made the attempt to get to his feet, found that - while a little dizzy - he could stand unaided which hopefully meant he could walk... River took a few experimental steps just to be sure, then looked back down at Vi and nodded. Yeah, he could handle a walk, so long as it wasn't too far.

Anonymous

Vi grinned and stood, brushing off his pants before heading towards his house. "Let me know if you get tired, alright?"

After all, he wasn't expecting his newfound company to be able to walk five miles after nearly drowning himself, and while Vi figured the River boy hadn't done it on purpose, he still wasn't expecting too much by way of phsyical activity from the boy. He had simply figured that the boy would rather keep his pride then be carried around by Vi, even if there was no one but the animals to see.

Anonymous

He thought right. River would've been happier crawling than being carried. He started out with his shoulders squared and chin up, but after the first mile and a half, his legs were getting shaky and he was slumped down a bit. Something was muttered under his breath about how much farther could this place actually be... and then he got to wondering - what if Vi was some sort of psychotic hermit that liked to take in weary travelers to butcher them up and feed them to his dogs?! Or worse, sell them as slaves, or keep them for -! ...No, okay, that last one just made him blush and twitch, and as he looked at Vi, it was really hard to picture him doing any of those things. He just looked like... a big puppy. All he needed was the wagging tail. Tch'.

Another half mile, and he finally put one hand to the side of a tree and the other to his knee as he leaned over to catch his breath. "Gh'... How much farther is it?"

Anonymous

"About three more miles." Vi, on the other hand, was barely even winded and had answered River's grumble in a rather chipper tone of voice. "Want me to carry you? We could get there much faster that way." Vi turned to smile at River. "Not that I don't think you could make the trip on your own, but you did just come bacl after being half dead, you know, I'm not exactly expecting miracles."

Anonymous

Miracles?! Hmph! River was a tough boy, he could handle himself and a stupid walk. ...Wait, did Vi say three miles? Oh hell no. He didn't even like walking that far when he wasn't water logged.

"...If you want," he muttered, looking rather indignant. Well, he'd just... make it seem like Vivi wanted to carry him and not that he had to be carried and things would be just fine! Besides, there wasn't exactly anyone else around to see, so... He could always start walking on his own again as they neared wherever-it-was they were going, right? "You can carry me."

Anonymous

Vi crouched in front of River with his back to him. "Climb aboard. We'll get home much faster if we run."

Vi always did like running. He just hoped he wouldn't hurt his new friend...sort of friend...companion?

Anonymous

That earned him a nice long stare from River, who took a wary step back. "You're not going to drop me, are you...?" he asked slowly, scowling a bit. The last thing he needed was for some oaf to drop him so he broke his neck! And that was a good outlook. Even worse - he could be dropped and break a leg (or both!) and have to be carried everywhere until he healed!

Reluctantly, River realized he didn't have much of a choice and he moved forward again to crawl onto Vi's back as invited. If he held on tight enough, maybe it would be alright.

"Sorry," he muttered, "I'm gonna get you all wet." See? He was apologizing for something. He wasn't a complete brat!

Anonymous

Vi laughed, and ajusted his own hold on River. "A little damp never hurt anyone. You holdin' on tight? Here we go!" Vi took off down towards his house at a fast run. Trees blured past him and he ran. At this reate it would only take them a little over twenty minutes to get back to his tiny little cottage in the forest.

Anonymous

Aaand River did the only thing he could think of...

He held on for dear life and kept his eyes screwed shut. This wasn't fun at all! He didn't like riding on horses that went slower than this, much less a human! He tried to make sure he wasn't holding on so tight as to choke the poor guy, but dammit, he was scared! Only once did he attempt to crack open an eye and glance around, and that was when they finally came to a stop and he started squirming a bit to be put down.

Oh, solid ground, beautiful solid ground! Never again would he let the waters sweep him away and almost dorwn him so that he had to be saved and then carried by someone three times his size! ...Because, y'know, situations like that are prone to happening several times in one's life. Uh, sure.

Anonymous

Avivi chuckled a bit at River's obvious relief. "Come, I'll show you where you can bathe." Avivi often wondered if the people who rented him his little house knew about the hot spring under it, or if they thought the door was simply to a muggy underground celler, which didn't make much sense to Avivi, as rooms underground are usually cooler than rooms above ground.

Ah, well, lucky for him, and for his newfound friend. Vi showed him through the little cabin towards the door to the bath and handed him a lantern. "I'll bring you down something you can wear while I wash your clothes, alright?"

Anonymous

River eyed the lantern, and then Avivi. A bath? Was he joking? He'd just gotten washed up from a bath that nearly killed him.

...Of course, looking down at himself, he realized he was quite muddy and in need of a good wash. He could only wonder what his face and hair looked like.

Sighing, River took the lantern and passed through the door with careful steps. He was still shaky and cold and - ooh, well, the water down there did look warm... Casting a glance back up at Avivi he announced, "I'll pass my clothes up to you," and disappeared from sight. Who cared that they were both men? River wasn't about to go stripping in front of a stranger when said stranger might be planning on cooking him, raping him, selling him, or a combination of all three.

Once down in the "cellar", River put the lantern in a spot to the side of the stairs where it wouldn't get wet and proceeded to peel out of his wet, dirty clothes. He tried wringing out his pants and shirt before advancing up the steps a little ways and holding them up through the door to his host.

Anonymous

Vi rolled his eyes at River's paranoia. "I don't bite, you know." Well, actually he did, but that was either during sex, or when he was transformed and felt threatened, and while River was pretty and Vi would'nt mind having sex with him, he got the feeling River would protest. They had just met, after all. But he took the clothes from the lad and gauged River's size against his own. Nothing Vi had would even come close to fitting the boy, save for his shirt which would probably be long enough on River that he could wear it somewhat comfortably while Vi washed his clothes.

Anonymous

"Yes, I know." The biting wasn't what he was worried about. It was the raping and cooking and selling part that bothered him! Still, he knew it was probably just his paranoia talking and so at least he wasn't running away from Vi the first chance he got.

Instead he reatreated back down the stairs, gave the water a once-over and started to ease into it carefully.

In all honesty, River had never, ever been in water that was more than luke-warm from being in the sun. It was a little startling at first, and then quite pleasant once he got used to the feeling. He sank down to his shoulders and leaned back against the edge of the spring, eyes drifting shut. Of course, he only remained still for a moment or two before he sat up straighter and started scrubbing the dirt from his skin and hair. He wanted to be, clean, dammit!

Anonymous

Vi wasn't big on rape. Or the cooking of humans, and he had a very distant idea of slavery, but not one that made much sense. Vi went in search of a clean shirt for River to wear, dropping off the dirty clothes by his laundry basin before picking up one of his clean shirts and retuning to the bathing room, opening the door and padding down the stairs. "I'll leave the clothes for you on the step above the lantern. All I could find that would fit you was one of my shirts, though, so I hope you don't mind." He was taking great care to avoid looking at River.