Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One Long Night by the Niafi [M]

Started by visualspice, December 22, 2023, 09:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

By Hakeshna's name...
He sounded and smelled and felt wonderful. Her mind rolled over her storming emotions.

Then at his question, she snorted.

"It's been so long you've forgotten where I live, Faraji? I suppose even the path there's likely been forgotten as well."

Her words held heat- venom.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

He stiffened at her words, at the anger and hurt that consumed her, and reminded himself this was his fault. She had every right to be angry.

"Of course I remember." He kept his voice calm, his face stone, "But you might not be staying there. You might be staying with...someone else."

Hakeshna, was he fishing? Dammit he was fishing and it was completely unintentional. But...he was engaged so she might be with someone as well. Perhaps married. Mayhap she had a family with children of her own. He didn't know this new Ibra.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

visualspice

Another snort of a laugh came.

"Why would I ever trust a man again? I wasted how many of my years with you and for what? " She clenched her jaw, hands tightening into fists.

"You didn't even have the decency to warn me you'd be betrothed." The words came out with a bitter sting.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

And there it was. The reason for her hate. The reason he deserved every ounce of ire that she gave him. He even deserves the punch against his nose earlier and the pure vitriol that cascaded from her mouth.

"I didn't know." He responded after a full minute of silence, "I didn't know until the announcements were sent. My...mother signed the agreements on my behalf and then...I tried to come and find you but you were gone..."

He took a deep breath and when he spoke he couldn't stop his voice from cracking, "It was supposed to be you."

visualspice

She was stewing in her heat, her hate, even longing when he spoke.  Then tensed at his words.. at his confession...

Part of her hoped he didn't want it..
Still wanted her...

Then he said it and she felt ice sink into her belly, then tingles rise up from her fingers and toes. And her heart raced, her mind doing wreckless somersaults - before she knew what she was doing- she was trying to fling herself off of her horse to be rid of him.

Because he couldn't see her cry.  It was blinding.  She was strong.. proud... not this weak woman who was about to weep.

Goldie

And then she was moving and actively trying to get away from him despite being on an actual horse, that was moving. Despite his attempts to keep her in place, she still caught him off guard and he found himself wrestling with her.

"Ibra, stop!" He cried out, trying to grab her again, but finding the fabric of her attire making it difficult to get a solid grip. And she was strong. She'd always been strong, but drink made her strong and unpredictable and he was losing.

"Stop! You're going to fall!" he finally snaked his arms fully around her just as she let out a particularly large flail that made him lose his balance. His legs couldn't keep him upright, and if he let go of her she would topple and get hurt.

So together they fell off and onto the stones below. He was able to position himself so he would take the brunt of the fall and spare her, so his shoulder hit first and he grunted with pain before the rest of him hit the ground with Ibra still held in his arms.

visualspice

This fall was painful for them both- her body pulled forecably close to his as she could feel the hard rocks through him.

She stopped squirming, breathing heavily as tears still blurred her eyes.

"How.. how could you not know?" Her question came out raw, almost savage.

Goldie

His shoulder burned and he couldn't help the tears that filled his eyes after the impact. Based on their fall, he wouldn't be surprised if he'd broken a bone. Even his grip on that side had lessened and he couldn't do much more than wiggle his fingers without pain.

"I didn't." He repeated, knowing full well how ridiculous it sounded, "She called me in to talk to me and Saanvi was there...with her whole family and they were congratulating us."

He gently repositioned themselves so she was no longer on top of him and he pushed himself into a seated position. He winced and grunted as he moved his injured arm across his lap.

With his good hand, he plucked a ring from his pinky - a delicate band of gold that looked like several strands had been woven together and each connecting point was decorated with an emerald. He held it out to her on his palm.

"I was coming to see you that day...I had all of the paperwork...she wouldn't have been able to do anything after that but...she found out. She won."

visualspice

It was dark. And she was drunk.

"What are you going on about?"
She waved his hand away.. accidentally knocking the ring from his hand-

She caught the glint of it as it tumbled into nearby reeds. 

Was that.

Why did..

Did he just...
Too many thought spun about inside her head.

Paperwork.. was it a ring?.. his family surprising him... his mother always hated her... and.. had that been....

"Why..." she went on, tears streaming down her face, cheeks hot an red. "Why would you.. why was that.. that in your pocket!? "

What would it change!? What would it mean!?

Goldie

He panicked when the ring flew from his hand and scrambled to find it, to pick it up and put it back on his pinky. He hadn't taken it off in the past five years. It was a constant reminder of what he'd lost, what was stolen from him.

"I had it made for you." He croaked, still cradling his arms, but he was sitting on his knees now, refusing to meet her eyes. Why was this so hard? He'd lived with this pain for so long, with this guilt, it shouldn't still feel the raw!

"I've worn it ever since...ever since...Ibra I'm so sorry." He felt tears on his cheeks as his mask failed him, "I didn't know what to do, I was trapped. I should have followed you to wherever you disappeared to. I should have left all of this behind."

visualspice

No.

No. No. No. No. No!

She was shaking her head and furiously wiping at her tears. Then she stood up suddenly- and almost fell over. She caught herself on a nearby tree. 

"Don't you dare.. Don't you dare sputter out what could be! It's too late. You've made your choice."

There was even a goddamn party. 

She was shaking.

"I haven't seen you in years."

Goldie

"You're right. I'm sorry. It is too late." He stood, still holding his injured arm close to his chest, "Please just let me take you home. I'll leave. I'll leave you alone and never come back. I just want to make sure you get home safely and then I'll go."

He still didn't meet her eyes.

"Please."

visualspice

She couldn't believe this and turned away, raking a hand through her dark hair and just looking out into the night. 

Their first time together had been on a night like this.. their first fight.. their first time having sex.

Somewhere off in the distance.. was there thunder? No. .. she had to be drunk. It rarely stormed here. The storm would likely move off to sea.

But the smell of the river reeds.. the water..and the night birds...

She had to turn away from him. She couldn't stand to look.. to see him...

But then something caught her eyes.  She was confused at first then realized...

She stumbled back slowly towards Faraji... as two piercing eyes of a crocodile began to slowly move their way. 

Goldie

He didn't spot the creature until Ibra was practically backed up against him and his whole body was filled with dread. He had a ceremonial dagger, otherwise he was completely unarmed and she was so drunk she could hardly stand.

Of course he could try and wrestle the beast, but that would require two good arms and he only had the one. But...The alternative...

"Please try to forgive me one day." He murmured into her ear before kissing her on her cheek, close to the side of her mouth, and then scooped her up and threw her, with a cry of pain from his shoulder, on her belly back onto the horse. Then he gave his hindquarters a smack to send him galloping away with his precious cargo.

Whatever happened to him now, at least she should be able to get away.

He turned back to the crocodile, good arm outstretched in a defensive position.

visualspice

Ibra gasped as she was deposited onto the saddle. 

"Fa.... Faraji!"
But her shouts were likely muffled by the galloping hooves. After a time she was able to control the horse- getting herself back into the saddle and turning him around.

No.. she would not lose him this way. 

She gave a roar and slammed her heels into the beast, charging back the way she had come.  Beneath her dress she pulled put a thin blade, one crafted light as a feather and thin, like a needle. 

She saw Faraji's form and cried out. "Catch!" And threw the blade at him. She then wrenched the reins back and her horse clopped to a sudden halt. Then the gemstones along her wrists began to glow with summoned powers.

Goldie

Faraji kept a good distance from the crocodile, doing his best to seem both aggressive enough to be left alone and not considered dinner, while also being submissive and not a threat.

The way he continued to stalk forward made Faraji think he was failing on one or both counts.

Then he lunged and Faraji nimbly stepped to the side. This was bad. This was really bad...

Maybe if he died here he'd finally be forgiven. At least then he wouldn't have to marry Saanvi and there wouldn't be any shame brought down on either of their houses. Heir to the Achebe fortune mutilated by a river beast the night of his engagement party.

Another lunge, another dodge.

And then...was that hoofbeats coming closer? No...dammit Ibra, no!

But she called his name and he nearly missed the blade that came whistling towards him. Good thing, too, or he would have been impaled instead of eaten. Though maybe that would have been more poetic.

Now he had a sword...in his non-dominant hand.

At least it was something.

He turned back to the beast and looked for an opening. So great was his tunnel vision he didn't even notice the glow coming from Ibra on top of her horse.

visualspice

Normally reserved to make colored sands dance- desert sands worked just as well, and she dismounted quickly and kicked at the ground.  Sands and dirt...

It would have to do. So while Faraji was busy barely missing some chomps of teeth, Ibra's hands and body moved with a dancer's grace and swirls of winds began to pool.  The Gem stones continued to alight, reflected in the depths of her violet eyes.

And behind her the winds and sands pulled and pulled with great strength- that even she wasn't prepared for the flash if lightning that illuminated the massive beast of dirt she sculpted.

Had she yanked the storm this way with her magics?

There was no time to think on that! As the dancing beast of sands twisted and writhed above her she raised both hands up and called out to Faraji.

"Move aside!" Her voice commanded, bellowed- and she waited for her former lover to obey- before commanding the wind beast forward as it plowed clean into the crocodile- which thrashed about wildly at the sands.

Goldie

Another snap of the crocodile's caught his pants and scraped across his leg, just before Ibra was down from the horse and dancing towards him with sand swirling around. Faraji didn't wait to ask questions, he simply moved, ignoring the blood that ran down his leg and everything else.

And then the sand thing slammed into the crocodile while Faraji covered his eyes against the stray grains that whipped around them like tiny pieces of glass.

visualspice

She commanded the winds to dance and bend- faster and faster- forcing the crocodile to slip back towards the waters.

By then, Ibra had yanked Faraji towards her side, growling.
"Don't you ever do that again! Don't you-" then she gasped at the sight of blood on his leg as threatening flashes of lightning over head continued to warn of a storm.

"You're hurt!"

Goldie

Faraji was more hurt than she knew and he was forced to bite his tongue to keep from crying out when she grabbed his injured arm and yanked him forward. The arm was far worse than the blood on his leg, despite what it appeared. The beast's teeth had grazed on the bony part of his shin which would bleed far more than it should.

"I'm fine. It's fine." He tried to put the mask back on, but the throbbing in his shoulder from her grip was making it difficult to concentrate on anything else.

"Truly." He lied, "Your safety is far more important than mine. Are you injured?"