Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

~Wanderer~ (shelley)

Started by Anonymous, May 20, 2006, 04:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Aranel dismounted gracefully from Star’s back, her feet making almost no sound as they came in contact with the thick, lush undergrowth of the small clearing in the Draconi Forest. She quickly unbuckled Star’s girth and slipped the saddle and blanket from his back, slinging them over a low-hanging branch. She also slipped off the bridle from his head and hung it up, she didn’t know how long she would be gone and she wanted him to be free to move and graze. Her own pack she hung next to the saddle. It held some food, a few horse treats, her healer’s bag, and a change of clothes. She walked back to Star and he lowered his head to nuzzle her shoulder affectionately. She smiled at the action, so uncharacteristic of most Elvish warhorses, and rubbed his nose.

“I don’t know how long I’ll be gone, but you know what to do.� She spoke out loud, but the horse understood every word she said. “Try not to wander too far away and get lost, and call me if you need help.�

“I know, little mistress� he said to her, a teasing tone in his voice. “I am not a colt that you must tell me to not wander. And it is not I that is most likely to get into trouble, but you that need to stay out of danger while I am not there to protect you.�

Aranel laughed at his last comment, but even so, it was more truth than not. Her companion had saved her life more times that she could count, he had been trained almost from birth how to fight, with a rider and without, and when he went into fighting mode, he was a bundle of lightning fast and iron hard hooves and damaging teeth. He was one of the best warhorses in the world, coming from the famed stables of the Elven-King of the Old Forest. Moreover, he was also half-unicorn, only the fourth in Elvish history to be so. Because of this, his life span almost matched that of Aranel’s, and while he exhibited no outward characteristics of his sire’s race, such as a horn protruding from his forehead, he could heal himself of almost any wound he received and his coat was pure white.

Aranel mused over all this as she threaded her way between the gigantic trees that made up the farthest edge of the Old Forest. She and Star were alike in more ways than one. Both were half-breeds, but where Star’s breeding made him the most valuable possession of the Elves, she was merely offered the least respect that could be given without being insulting and gossiped about behind her back. She couldn’t help but feeling some satisfaction on remembering the looks on the Lord’s and Lady’s faces when her father gave her Star as a parting gift.

Aranel shook herself out of her reverie as she stopped by one of the larger oaks. She looked up, and spotting a branch that was low enough, jumped, grabbed the branch and swung herself up. She continued to scale the tree, looking almost cat-like in her ability to find hand and foot holds when there were no branches close enough. Finally she stopped, about 200 feet from the ground. She leaned up against the giant trunk and closed her eyes, listening to the life beat of the forest as it surrounded and swelled up around her. Suddenly she pushed away from the trunk and ran lightly down the thick limb and reaching the end, stopped spread her arms like wings, and lept.

She had fallen not two seconds before she had fully changed, and spreading, her wings, she shot up, dodging through the thick and twisted branches until she finally exited the canopy of the forest and flew higher and higher, exulting in the freedom, a lone hawk soaring over a seemingly unending spread of trees.

Anonymous

Burry's eyes followed the small frame of a hawk as it flew through the sky. She slumped against the branch underneath herself, tossing her left over pear  down on the ground with a shrug.

"Wish I was that lucky..." the girl grumbled, keeping herself as low against the branch as possible. She was still too close to the keep to travel uncautiously. Already Burry had been resting too long, the sentinals probably still on her trail. She hoped from the tree, landing a bit more haphazardly than she had hoped.

Quickly, Burry scrambled into the bushes, untying a rope which held a her stag, Davius, to the bush next to him. He gave a soft snort as she untied him, kneeling down to allow her to mount onto his back.

"I don't know what we're going to do Dave..." Burry sighed, hopping up onto the deer's back with a grunt. After her father had notified her that an arranged marriage had been decided between one of Lord Nymeria's son's, and herself, Burry was outraged. Darras was an arrogant, selfish git. Besides that, he had constantly degraded her as she grew up...Why would he suddenly want to marry her? It was moreso another way to spite her, Burry thought. Her father pushed for such a marriage, seeing it as an honor to be privaleged to wed a lordling. This was the last thing Burry cared about; she would not marry such a pig.

Now it was just a matter of what to do...Where should she go? It was starting to get dark...

Anonymous

Trotting slowly through the forest upon the back of his Mare, Akah surveyed his surroundings. A look of annoyance flashed across his features, it would seem he'd gotten himself turned around.

"Now...I can be sure I've hunted in these woods at least once before. But..." Letting out a deep sigh of frustration, he mumbled curses to the wind. "Psch...and those fools that think they can 'protect' me? Gods, if they can't even keep up,  then there's no point in having their services. Some bodyguard..." Danielle snorted in approval, slowing her pace as they meandered into a clearing.

Turning his gaze upwards, Akah spotted a hawk gliding silently across the sky.
"Lucky bird, wish I could fly, maybe I'd at least be able to tell where in this acursed forest I happen to have gotten myself lost in!" Drawing the hammer slung at his side, Akah thumped a passing tree in frustration. "Hell I can't eve---" He flinched as a large pinecone fell from above, knocking him right on the head. Shutting his eyes tightly, Akah grimaced in anger. Could things get any more bothersome?

((might just be passing through here, currently looking for a active thread to jump into))

Anonymous

<font color=darkblue>The young girl sat quietly on the branch above Akah as she heard him passing underneath her. She watched him look around and barely surpressed a giggle as she continued to sit almost directly above his head unseen. Overhead she heard a hawk, surprised she looked up. She frowned thoughtfully and tried to connect to the creatures mind but she couldn't get a hold of it. That was odd.

Oh well, once again Alexandria turned her attention back to the man underneath her. Wow, that sounds ood, wouldn't you agree. Deftly she slipped the rest of the way out of the fancy dress that she had been wearing and quickly slipped the white shirt over head head. Normally Alex wouldn't have been so quiet when someone entered her presence but when Akah had come she had been in the process of changing. It was quiet comical, actually.

Anways, after having sucessfully gone from looking like a noble lady to the orphan she was Alex tossed the dress down off the branch, letting it fall in front of the mare. She calmed to mare, though, she it wouldn't be startled. See, Alex was a Wild Mage and had a connection with animals that allowed her to be friends with any of the them. She could also shape-shift and heal, and force an animal to do her bidding. Though, she didn't practice the latter one often. Having this connection was exceptionally good in her 'line of work' as she fondly called her theiving.

Jumping down Alex finished putting the expensive jewlery she had just stolen in her worn leather bag and slung in on her shoulder. Looking back at Akah she merely said, You look lost. She turned and leaned against a tree, her brown pants and white shirt giving her the semblence of a man but her long brown hair and feminine features immediately canceled that. She pointed left, That's the way out of this forest that you want to take. Don't go the other way. There's a bunch of angry nobles running around looking for someone who just stole a bunch of stuff. She shook her head as if dissapointed by this report. What people will do for money these days.

Turning she smiled and quickly tied her heair back in a pony tail with a leather thong that she had in her pocket. A black hawk whirled overhead and came screaming down. Laughing Alex held out her arm and patted the animal on the top of the head as it hopped from her arm to her shoulder. She turned back to look at Akah again, Nice mare. Like I said, you want to go straight to the left on the other side of those green bushes you'll find a deer trail that will lead you out of here.

Continuing to walk Alex came to the clearing a beautiful white warhorse stood grazing. Reaching out her hand to him she said, Woah, where did you come from beautiful?</font>

Anonymous

Aranel was jerked out of her reverie by the feeling of a finger of wild magic brushing across her mental shields. She reached out with the empathic skills granted to her as a healer and identified two people in the forest almost directly below her, one rather frustrated man and one woman, the wild mage. “This ought to be interesting,� Aranel thought to herself as she glided silently downward until she landed on the topmost branch of the giant oak Alex and Akah were standing under. The ears that could pick up the sound of a mouse scrounging on the forest floor had no difficulty listening to the conversation that went on below. At the mention of nobles Aranel reached out once again and grinned, if a hawk could grin. Sure enough a group of rather angry nobles seemed to be riding through the forest in this general direction, and at the pace they were going, it wasn’t going to be too long before they reached this spot. Aranel reacted with mild amusement as Alex called down her hawk, it was rather a show offish thing to do, meant to impress whoever was nearby, she had done it herself on several occasions.
She launched herself off the branch as Alex continued walking and realized that she was heading in the exact direction of Star’s clearing, this really was getting interesting. She quickly flew ahead and perched on a branch where she had a good view of the clearing but was concealed for the most part by the thick foliage of the tree. “Wild mage coming this way,� she mindspoke to Star. “Why don’t we have a little fun? You be the proud but mistreated warhorse who’s owner is doing some small game hunting on his own and has left you here for who knows how long. She’s a thief, maybe she’ll try to steal you out of sympathy.�
Star gave a heavy sigh, seeming to ask himself why it was he who had ended up with a half elf who had too much time on her hands as his mistress, but then relented. “Like what we did with that proud little lordling over in Seridipity?� he asked with amusement.
“Exactly, only this will be more fun since she’s got wild magic.� Aranel then cast a spell that shielded her from detection, both physical and magical, and watched the happenings below.
When Alex came and reached out her hand to Star, Star jumped back from her, rolled his eyes wildly, and stood trembling, as any mistreated animal would do, and if anyone tried to calm him they would find his mind filled with thoughts of fear connected with any humans, most of all his “master�.

((not my best, but i'm in a bit of a rush right now.....))

Anonymous

<font color=darkblue>Dria watched the horse jump back. She opened her mind up to the thoughts of the animals around her and tried to find the horse through them all. See, Dria wasn't a trainied Wild Mage and hadn't learned to concentrate her power. In fact she hadn't learned how to do much except talk to animals and shape-shift. Her companion, the hawk, screamed and took off of her shoulder flying out of the woods. He was tracking the nobles for her and Dria was glad of that. She really didn't want to get caught.

Between all of the birds and rodents in the forest Dria finally found the frightened horse. Come here, baby, there's no need to be afraid. Dria also didn't know that she could talk to the animals telipathically so she made do with speaking to them and making most people think that she had gone loco. She extended her hand and patted the horse on the nose. Dria sent some of her power to calm to horse, he was obviously scared of something but Dria didn't exactly know what.

The girl's mind had completly forgot about Akah, she wasn't sure if he was still behind her or not. She was completely focused on this distressed horse right now. She clucked to it, It's okay sweetie. Do you have a bad master? She shook her head, a horse this beautiful in the hands of somone cruel and who didn't appreciate animals. Why don't you tell me about it? She rest her hand on his neck and stroked it lightly, wanting him to open up to her.</font>

Anonymous

Aranel watched what went on between the young girl and Star from not only her vantage point in the tree but also from the little corner Star allowed her in his mind. There they could communicate telepathically with no one the wiser, something she couldn't have done if Star was just a horse. It was very useful having a half unicorn who was as smarter than most people and had his own magical abilities as her companion.

"She has no idea what to do with her magic, does she." Aranel remarked surprised and a bit worried. A wild mage, or any mage, with no training was very susceptible to other, not so well intentioned, mages; and when she opened her mind as she just had to everything in the forest, she ran the risk of literally losing herself in the midst of all the voices if she didn't have proper mental shields.

"I'm having to put up shields around her just so she can find me apart from all the other animals in the forest!" Star replied.

"This may be a bit more serious than we thought. We're going to have give her some training, even if it is just a crash course in how to strengthen those flimsy shields she has."

Star sent back a silent agreement. Under Dria's hand he appeared to calm down. Since Dria hadn't mastered the art of telepathic communication, he let her touch his mind, projecting pictures of his master using his crop viciously on Star in order to get him to gallop faster, of the neglect he suffered in the stables, of how he would be beaten if he so much as put a hoof out of this small glade he had been left in. Then he switched to images of how he had lived before he had been "captured". The freedom felt when he galloped alone across the hills and valleys that had been his terrain as a young wild stallion. He was practically begging Dria to set him free.

"You're getting rather good at this," Aranel remarked, laughter in her voice. "You've almost got me jumping down and running off with you. You know what, I think I'm going to guide those nobles over here. There's nothing like saving a person's skin to get them to listen to what you say."

She lifted herself into the air with two silent wingbeats, still shielded from detection, and took off in the direction Dria's hawk had gone. She spotted him almost immediately, he was drifting on an updraft, his attention fixed on the group of nobles almost directly below him who were drawing rather close to where Star and Dria were. He was about to fly back to Dria to alert her when Aranel touched his mind only slightly and drew his attention down to the forest floor where a young rabbit was feasting on some small shoots. The hawk almost immediately forgot about Dria in the overriding desire for the hunt. Aranel knew that Star was keeping Dria distracted enough not to notice that her scout was no longer doing his job until it was too late. Her job done, Aranel flew back and landed on the ground just outside of the clearing and shifted back to her normal form. She cast a small illusion on her clothes, since they were rather plain, in order to make herself look more elven. No one, not even a king, would dare dispute the word of an elven maiden when she claimed that Dria had been with her for the past week, tending to her horse. She only hoped that the young girl wouldn’t do anything stupid, like try to shift in front of everyone.

Anonymous

Dria continued to comfort the horse, all the while studying him. He was an aboslutely gorgeous horse there was something mystical about him, something that she couldn't exactly place. Shaking her head she watched him and began noticing things that she hadn't noticed before. There was a pack slightly to her right. She also noticed that this horse wasn't tied up. If his master was as bad as this horse said he was, then they would have tied the horse up. She cocked an eyebrow and stepped back, You're fooling me, aren't you mister? Shaking her head she bent down to get her bag that she had dropped and turned to leave, If you're in as bad shape as you claim just follow me, there's nothing stopping you.

She took a couple of steps to leave the clearing but from behind her the bark of fox brought her turning around. The large fox look up at her and barked again then turned and ran behind a tree. Dria cursed, she had a very colorful vocabulary actually. Came from mixing with all sorts of people in Coonnalath and Adela. Looking around she quickly tossed her bag full of her 'posessions' behind a tree and darted around the clearing, looking around for an escape. She had just began to change into a mouse when she heard the nobles closing in. Cursing once more she picked up the bridle that she was beside and went to the horses' head, Be kind, please. She whispered before the many nobles and hounds were where they could see her.

She looked up nonchalantly, holding the bridle as if she had been about to put in on Star's head. A look of complete inocence came to her face as she asked, Can I help you gentleman?

Anonymous

((I was wondering if you would catch the no restraints-thing. lol. I'm going to assume a conversation with the nobles just so we don't have to script it all out...))

Ari watched and listened to the nobles as they halted when they spotted the girl, then as they formed a ring about her when someone realized how much she resembled the one they were after. The girl was doing quite well as she play acted the startled innocent girl just out for a ride, but their "conversation" began to degenerate quickly and Aranel realized that it was her cue to step in when one of the more angry men dimounted and started towards Dria, his horsewhip in his hand. The girl might have been able to get away from it all if she knew how to panic the horses and hounds, but since she didn't, her options were pretty limited.

Aranel withdrew a arrow and notched it on her bow. She dropped the spells that were sheilding her, stepped out into the clearing and let the arrow fly; gauging it to pass within inches the the enraged noble's face and sink itself into a tree on the other side of the clearing, effectivly stopping him and turning everyone's attention to her. She wasn't, however, going to let the girl take advantage of the situation and get away, so she quickly cast a spell that would not only immobalize the girl where she stood but also would not allow her to shape-shift.

"I would advise you to leave as quickly as possible," she said, her bow held loosely in her hands, another arrow notched in it. Their loud protestations and accusations about how the girl was a theif were effectivly silenced when she took off the leather helmet she had been wearing and some of the brighter amoung them saw her slightly pointed ears and recognized her for what she was. Since she didn't want them trailing her when she left because they still thought that Dria was the one they were after she said "This girl has been watching my horse for me," she didn't say that it had been for less than 15 minutes, "and if you leave now maybe I'll forget about the insult you have just delt me when you threatened someone in my employ."

The group, not daring to disagree with an elf, took quick advantage of the offer and sooner than she thought possible she, Star and the girl were the only ones in the clearing. Star trotted over to her and she absentmidedly stroked his side.

"How in the world you survived this long is beyond me," she said to the girl, her features carefully schooled to show no emotion.

((bleh....that was really bad. but i've got to run))

Anonymous

Dria had it all under control. Even as the man advanced on her she could sense Kass soring above the treetops, ready to make a diversion so she could shift. Quickly the image of a tiny mouse came to her mind. Suddenly, though, she was frozen. She couldn't shift. She was stuck with a mousy nose and whiskers protruding from it. She jerked her feet, but to no avail, they were frozen to the ground.

Covering her nose with her slighty furry hands she watched as the scene unfolded. Who the crap was this person? After a moment, though, Dria didn't really mind. She was helping her after all. Soon that nobles were gone and it was just Dria and the apparent elf in the clearing. This is all your fault. she mumbled to the horse, elbowing it slightly.

Kass breached the trees and came down, talons out but when he saw his would-be atackee he pulled up. Animals wouldn't attack one of the elven nature unless it was a good reason. There didn't seem to be a good reason, right now, since Ari wasn't hurting Dria. Todd finally came out from behind the tree where he had been guarding Dria's bag and pawed at his companiones breeches leg until she lowered and arm and picked it up. Once the fox was on her shoulder she put the hand back over her nose.

Well, usually I just run, that seems to keep be alive most often. She huffed, her words a bit sarcastic. She didn't enjoy people excersing power over her, not at all. I take it that this 'mistreated' horse is your? She grumbled, she made sure to enhance the word mistreated. She huffed again and continued to cover her nose.

Anonymous

Ari was quite amused at the sight of the girl trying to hide her partially shifted face from her view. She released the bonds that were holding the girl immoble, allowing her to change back. When the young hawk pulled up from his dive, Ari offered up an arm for him to land on. "Come and rest, little brother." She said to him in his own language, the sounds coming from her throat ones no human could naturally produce. The hawk landed on her outstreached arm and then walked up to perch comfortably on her shoulder.

"Yes, child," she said with laughter in her voice. "Star belongs to me."
Star gave a very human sounding snort and then spoke into both of their minds. "I would say it's the other way around. You belong to me.

Ari just rolled her eyes and then focused her gaze on Dria again. "Now, girl, you can tell me how exactly a wild mage with almost no training came to be running from a group of nobles with a bag filled with baubles that are most definitly out of her price range."[/i]

Anonymous

Dria huffed as she switched her nose from a furry one to her regular delicate one. Nudging Todd she sent him over to fetch her back, which she then placed on her shoulder once again, she was barely paying attention to the words of the Elven maiden. She heard her, but didn't really care. Her keen mind was too busy trying to find a way to get out of the situation. Currently she couldn't think of anything. She heard Star's voice reverberating through her mind and she looked up, still clutching the strap of her bag protectively. I could tell you, but I don't want to. She said.

The girl would have turned to leave, but she was smarter than that. She might be sassy, but she knew that she shouldn't leave until this lady excused her. Her eyes looked at the black hawk now perched on the Elf's shoulder. You're supposed to be on my side, how come you didn't warn me? Her talking aloud was another clue that she wasn't trained, otherwise she would have directed her conversation telepathically to Kass.

The hawk shrugged, looking sheepishly at his companion, the girl he sometimes thought of as his chick. He lifted off of the shoulder he was perched and lighted to the tree above Dria's head. I'm sorry. My intent was honorable, I assure you. As I was coming to warn you suddenly my mind was completely overtaken and all I could think about was hunting this rabbit that I saw, even though I wasn't hungry and I wasn't hunting. He turned his black eyes toward Ari, That was your work, I presume? Kass was a smart hawk, he knew that the ides to hunt was not his own. Much like Star, he felt that it was his duty to protect his human companion.

Dria once more turned her deep brown eyes to Ari, You made the nobles come over here? Why? She was curious, she couldn't help it. She didn't think that the whole intention was to get her rightfully stolen goods, and she wondered why this lady was interested in her, a mere pauper.  She looked over at the fox on her shoulder, the crease over her brows deepened as if he was talking to her, which he really was, Ari just couldn't here. Dria eyes lightened slighty and she nodded, patting the fox on the head and once more looked at Ari. Most people would think her a little odd, but Ari would know that she had merely been conversing with her companion. Uhh, sorry for being so rude a minute ago. She said a little sheepishly, I'm just not a people person.

[ooc: BTW, I joined Todd and Kass as characters I play, so they're not NPC's anymore. Just wanted to tell you, it's ok that you played Kass before. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I recently got my wisdom teeth out and I couldn't post for awhile. Also I will be gone the 24th to about the 30th =) ]

Anonymous

"Why am I interested in you?" Ari voiced and answered Dria's unspoken question. "I think that you should have been able to figure that out. It's every mage's responsibility to, if they find an untrained mage with no master, take charge of said mage until either they complete their training or another mage with who has better claim, like family ties, comes along." She smiled at the slightly stunned expression that had laid claim to the girl's face.

"Yes, my dear. That means that from now on, you are legally my ward and student, and in the eyes of the law I have every privilege of a parent/guardian." Her face softened as she looked at the now very shocked young girl in front of her who had turned very pale. "But I am going to give you a choice that I guarantee you would not have been given had any other mage stumbled upon you. You can choose to return to your meager existence of steal-run-hide, hoping that you don't attract the attention of anyone powerful enough to catch you, or you can apprentice yourself to me as my ward and study magic under my teaching. If you so choose to come with me, I will guarantee that you will be well cared for, never mistreated, and that by the time you complete your apprenticeship, you will have had the best training you could have gotten outside of an academy."

"You don't have to give me your answer now. Think about it for a while, if you need to. "She took Star's tack down from the branch it hung on and swiftly and skillfully saddled him. “When you reach a decision, send Kass or Todd for me, I’ll make sure that they find me.�

With that she turned Star and disappeared into the trees.

((not the best, I know. but I didnt' really know how you wanted this to end...so if you wanted something else to happen, tell me and I'll edit it.))