Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On the Outskirts He Lies in Wait (open)

Started by Anonymous, June 18, 2006, 12:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Tam stopped and looked at Jonathon over his shoulder.  He still wasn't completely convinced, but...  The mage had seemed disoriented and some creatures have the power to do odd things with the mind.  He nodded.  "All right.  If you have a weapon, be out in the morning with it.  If you don't, we'll see what we can provide.  Rest until then."

Then the stocky older man headed out the door.  Arabeth set about clearing off the table, putting away the items where they couldn't be seen.  The young woman just continued to sit in silence, once again staring down at the table.  When Arabeth was done, she guided the blonde girl out of the chair and the kitchen.

She said to Jonathon on the way out, "I'll be back in a few minutes.  Help yourself to the stew on the stove, bowls and spoons are in the cubboard."

Anonymous

Jonathon didn't need to be told twice. He realized suddenly that he was starving, and after locating the dishes and cutlery, ravenously attacked the stew. It took a lot of concentration on the food to keep his stomach from turning over the realization that he was only feet away from a murder - and that his being asleep was possibly all that kept him from being a potential victim.

"Don't let yourself dwell on that," he thought as he began a second bowl. When was the last time he had eaten? The stuff in his pack was stale and barely edible, but he remembered forcing a chunk of cheese and some old bread down the day before. It seemed like ages ago.

After two bowls, Jonathon leaned back and allowed a content sigh through his lips.

Anonymous

Arabeth returned after a short while, carrying what seemed to be Jonathon's worn clothes.  She just shook her head and muttered in a worried tone.  "Poor Emma, I don't know how she'll recover from this.  And Tam... Yori was such a good son to him..."

She continued to mumble a bit, taking the clothes over to a little alcove that seemed to be used for washing.  She desposits them and looks over at Jonathon.  "I'll get these cleaned up for you.  Distraction's good for a troubled mind and we have such troubles now.  Did the stew fill you?"

Anonymous

"It was fine, ma'am. Thank you," Jonathon replied with a smile that seemed to reflect both his gratitude and sympathy at the same time. "And with any luck we will find that fellow. Thank you for tending to my clothes; it's been a long time since they've been washed by one who knows how to do laundry properly."

Anonymous

Arabeth smiled and waved off Jonathon's compliment.  There was no reason to praise such mundane skill.  But it was nice to hear anyway.  She got to work on heating the water, preparing the cloths, and having the soap and basket handy.  After a little while, she said to him, "You're a good man to offer to join the search party.  It sounds as if that creature had terrible affect on you.  I think you'd fit well here in La'marri, if you decide to stay.  We don't get in each other's business, but we'll look out for the village when it's needed."

She was quiet again for a few minutes as she concentrated on the washing, then continued, "You'll want to rest as much as you can.  The search party may be out for a while tracking that... thing."

Anonymous

Jonathon smiled, almost sadly, at the woman's remark about staying. "Ma'am, nothing would please me more than to be able to stay somewhere and call it home. But that, unfortunately, is not an option for me at this point you see. As for rest, I have had enough to last me another few days. I just went a little overboard on the trekking last time." Upon mention of the creature, however, Jonathon shuddered a bit. "It greatly upsets me," he began, "to know that there was a murder going on just a few feet from me... and that the murderer was a being I'd spent at least an hour with just before."

Anonymous

"You're a lucky one.  I didn't see the body myself, but..."  Arabeth shook her head.  "You don't want to hear about that.  It's too bad you can't stay.  Help yourself to more stew if you want, or there's some books in there-" she indicated the sitting room "-if you prefer to read a while.  I'll just be finishing up your clothes and have them drying before nightfall."

She went back to washing.  It wasn't that she didn't like the conversation.  She just thought a young man wouldn't find much interesting in talking to an older housewife like her.  And her mind was mostly jumbled with the awful event of the day.

Anonymous

Jonathon set about busying himself for the remainder of the evening, beginning with demolishing another two bowls of the soup. A rejuvenative coma, he reflected, always left him ravenous. As for reading, he rarely did any after first being snatched away from his uncle. Typically all books of different worlds did was fill his mind with jumbled thoughts and history that made no sense to him; he much preferred to learn of his current locations by speaking to the locals.

After a few minutes of thought, and the discovery that he was quite full by now, Jonathon went into the sitting room anyway, though. He simply stared into space from his position on a chair at first, then murmured something under his breath and drew a lopsided circle in the air with one finger. A white, almost liquid substance remained in the air after he finished, still in the shape of a circle, and began to fill in slowly. Jonathon closed his eyes and softly began to hum a single, sustained note that seemed to be both a quiet buzz of noise and musical at the same time. He stayed that way for some time: eyes closed, humming, and a two-dimensional white circle shimmering in front of him.

Anonymous

Arabeth finished Jonathon's clothes and had them hanging up just outside the back door to dry.  It was quite dark now, night having fallen.  She cleaned the kitchen and stepped out into the sitting room.  She was quite surprised by the sight before her.  The mage humming and the circle floating in the air.  Magic wasn't something she knew much about.  She could only assume it wasn't meant to be anything harmful.

She watched for a few moments, before heading off to her bedroom.  She would've bid him goodnight, but she wasn't sure about interrupting.  She didn't want to ruin his spell.  It was certain that Tam would come back in the morning to collect the man.  They could only hope that the creature would be found and brought to justice.

Anonymous

(You've probably noticed by now that I'm not posting nearly as much as I used to, or nearly as lengthy posts. That's because I'm gearing up for The Big Move to college, and in my case that means going somewhere several hours away and leaving a town I've lived in my entire life. This Big Move is at a very insane stage right now, what with me just completing college orientation camp, and chances are I'm going to have very little time online to RP - chances are most of my Internet time is going to be dealing with getting last-minute college details completed. Things should settle down a week or so after I get moved into my new dorm - and move-in day is in exactly three weeks. So I'm gonna let you know right now that most likely I won't have much, if any, time to reply to RP posts. As such, feel free to back out of any plots or plot development, and we can either return to the roleplay once I get settled, or we can pretend it never happened and go about our merry roleplay ways. ^^ No hard feelings either way, I promise. I just want to do the responsible thing and stop leaving my RP partners hanging for long periods of time.)

Anonymous

(I remember you mentioning that before, so don't worry.  If and when you get any time to RP, you can decide whether or not you want to continue here.  If you don't, we can just assume the search party didn't find Saat'bas.  Good luck with everything!)

Anonymous

(I'm back I'm back I'm back! Sorry it took so long but I didn't factor in the INSANE WHIRLWIND OF STRESS that would hit me as soon as I tried to move in. Hopefully I'll be back to RPing by this weekend. That should give me enough time to re-read everything and remember what in the world I was doing. XD)