Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Mountains High Calling (anyone)

Started by Anonymous, June 24, 2006, 08:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

(OOC:  Anyone welcome!  No plot unless a plotbunny decides to attack later or you want to bring one in/start one.)

--------------------

The early morning sun had just risen past the edge of the skyline.  Reddish-gold rays cast long, sharp shadows over the mountains.  All the hollows and trenches were still filled with darkness, most of the daytime beasts still huddled in their nests and burrows.  Quiet ruled the area with only the occasional interruption from the local wildlife.

And in the shade of one of the peaks sat a motionless figure.  As the sun continued to ascend, the blanket of darkness withdrew to reveal a being with emerald skin and bat-like wings.  It wore nothing more than a simple loincloth.  A golden snake with one ruby eye decorated its forehead.  It loomed like a gargoyle, silently observing the narrow valley below.

Saat'bas didn't care much for mountains.  They had their beauty, a harsh and rugged allure.  But they were often cold in the passes and tended to stand in the way of getting easily from one place to another.

He'd been travelling alongside this range for over a week, searching for a low break through which he could go.  He hadn't had much luck.

There was a narrow gulley a few days back.  It drew a little too close to the snowline for his liking and the scattered trees didn't provide much cover.  He was taking a chance using his wings now.  He normally kept them for emergencies or special occasions.  Flitting around exposed like this was simply an invitation for someone to try and hunt him.  There were times he might not mind that.  This wasn't one of them.

They did, however, make the surveying quicker.  He could access places that might otherwise be difficult to enter.  From the air he could better tell the layout of the land.  He hadn't quite gotten to the point of using them to try and fly over the mountains.

Saat'bas knew that was a dangerous course.  If he were in a more adventurous mood, he might do it.  Just to feel the thrill of riding wild winds and navigating blinding blizzards.  But he wasn't, so that train of thought tapered off to be replaced with the desire to get moving again.  He was a little chilly from the night before.  Getting some exercise would warm him up nicely enough.

He bounded off the ledge.  Flapping his wings and using his hands and feet, he half-flew half-scrambled over the outcroppings bordering the valley.  He made decent time going roughly parallel to the range.  When he reached a particularly large boulder jutting out, he took to the air and rounded it, though perhaps a bit less alert than he should have been considering he couldn't see if anything was on the other side.

Goldie

He didn't know how long he had been wandering through the mountains, but Kai was sure that it had been at least a week since he had ran away.  After nearly killing the inn keeper.....

but no...that couldn't have been him!  He didn't even remember it!  Well...he had remembered that odd voice....and the fire that coursed through his veins, sending his mind spinning in every which direction....and when he had finally been able to focus his eyes, the inn keeper was in flames and just barely made it to the well to douse the fire eating his clothes, hair, and the rest of his body.

He shook his head, dashing the images from his mind as he leaned against a large boulder near the mountain face.  With a sigh he rested his forehead against the cool stone and took even breaths to calm his quaking heart.  He knew that something was going on, but no one had ever told him what....and he himself had never been able to figure it out.  Now all he hoped was that someone would be able to pinpoint what has causing the blackouts....maybe he was just sick....maybe the fire had nothing to do with him and he had just blacked out from...smoke....

heh....that seemed unlikely, but whatever...

Why are you trying to fight?  the voice echoed and Kai pinched his eyes shut.  It was just a figment of his imagination...there was no voice...there was no....

He blinked as a shadow pass over his head.  With a small gasp of surprise he lept back and looked up....the sun blinding him enough that he could only make out the shadow of whatever was above him.....

Anonymous

(OOC:  If you have any stats on Kai, please leave me a link? If not, forgive me if I screw up? ^.^ )

--------------------

The gasp caught Saat'bas' ear.  He might've flown on overhead otherwise, not even aware of the other below.  It wasn't one of his more alert mornings.  His wings flapped as he stopped, turning his head to scan the ground.  It seemed there was a young man standing next to the boulder.  He wheeled around and landed in a crouch on top of the stone.  His wings folded up slightly, though still ready if he needed to make a quick escape.

His antennae twitched as he observed the man.  He couldn't quite pin down what he was sensing.  There were so many forms of magic on this world, Saat'bas hadn't had the chance to learn them all.

He growled slightly.  His mood hadn't settled yet into anything particular.  It was, however, not a very patient mood at the moment.  He forwent his usual silence and asked in his telepathic voice, What is he?  What does he want?.

Goldie

ooc:  XDD just for you I posted up some Kainess!!  haha  http://spiritsoftheearth.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732  it's the last post...I'm not sure how to link it to take you directly to the info in the posts!  XD  oooh, also, is Saat'bas talking to Kai, or merely musing to himself?

Anonymous

(OOC:  Thank you muchly ^.^   Doh, sorry I didn't make it clear, but yes.  Saat'bas is talking to him... which probably wasn't the smartest choice, considering Kai's already hearing voices in his head  :D )

Goldie

HAPPY JULY FIRST!!!! XD

ic:

Kai back up, tripping over some uneven ground and barely catching himself on the boulder.  His eyes widened as they adjusted to the sunlight and the shadow above him became clearer.  Whatever it was, he had never seen something like it, in all of his years of traveling!

Well....he never really took the time to stop and look either, but still.  This was a bit much....and then...

He cried out in shock as the voice entered his head and his knees buckled, sending him with a thud onto the cold ground.  Why was it always voices in his head?  Why!?  Was there some reason that everytime he talked to someone there were voices?

He waited for a few seconds, half expecting the fire to course through his veins as it often did after the voice appeared...but no....there was no fire, and he noticed that the voice was not the same that invoked the pain...and the blackouts....this was something entirely different...and...it was coming from...

"Did you just...talk to me?" he asked looking up at the other, pressing one hand to his head where the voice had resounded.

Anonymous

(OOC:  Ack, sorry for the short length >.< )

--------------------

Saat'bas snorted impatiently.  Mortals could be difficult to communicate with.  When he didn't talk, they wanted him to.  When he did, they didn't understand.  He mentally probed the young man to see if he was responsive to his influence.  It wasn't a very concentrated effort, though.  Upon closer inspection, the human didn't appear to be quite matured yet.  The red-haired lad seemed to be in that in-between time of child and adult.

Saat'bas might lead an adult down all the various paths Life offered, but not a child or half-child.  It was also for that reason he couldn't hunt the youth.  Even if he were older, he looked like he'd been wandering around a while and probably couldn't move well enough over this terrain to make it worthwhile.

The idea was discarded and Saat'bas spoke to the human again, as he had before, Is so.  What does he want?

Goldie

ooc: Trust me...compared to some of my first posts, that's a great length XD  and at the moment there isn't much going on! Not much to add onto!

ic:

Kai blinked again as the voice once more intruded upon his thoughts.  So that....that thing really was talking to him?  And through his head no less....it was almost comforting to know and made him wonder if the other voice was someone playing a sick joke...for...nearly 10 years....

yeah, that was likely...

But it didn't matter.  It helped him calm down a bit and that's what mattered.

What did he want?  Well...hmm....that was certainly a difficult question that had millions of answers.  Did he want to go home?  yes, definitely.  Did he want his family back?  no question about that.  Did he want to know why he heard what he did...why fires followed....the possibilities were infinate...but why couldn't he pick one?  Maybe he had been running for so long that he had forgotten what he truly wanted in his flight for acceptance and freedom from that firey voice.

"I...I don't know." he muttered, chocolate eyes wide as he stared up at the green man with wings.  "A...a lot of things, I guess."

I know what I want.... the voice was soft, but it was still there and sent a shudder racing through Kai's spine.  So the voice was still there...but luckily it seemed distant, held at bay....Tell him what I want, little Kai.  there it was again I can tell him myself if you're too afraid...

I don't know what you want...Kai thought fiercely, closing his eyes in the effort it took to push away the heat that was flowing through his body.  It was close....he knew that a blackout was only minutes away if he couldn't get the voice to stop.

Go away... he thought fiercely...or at least he hoped it sounded fierce but from the laugh that it envoked he realized he had failed at whatever he was hoping to accomplish. Please just go away... he added as an after thought, eyes still tightly shut.

Anonymous

+"I...I don't know." he muttered, chocolate eyes wide as he stared up at the green man with wings. "A...a lot of things, I guess."+

Saat'bas was about to respond when the lad shuddered and closed his eyes.  He watched the human, antennae twitching.  There was something... not right.  It was as though he could sense a struggle of some sort.  But he couldn't decipher what he was witnessing.  Was it mental, spiritual?  There was the flicker of another presence.  It was so faint, though, indistinct.  And the lad's thoughts seemed to be turned inward.

Saat'bas lept down off the boulder, folding his wings against his back.  He stood before the youth and once again probed with his mind.  It was a gentle exploration, much like any adult might do on an injured or sick child.

One part of of his thoughts wrapped loosely around the lad's mind, the one he sensed belonged to the person he'd been speaking with.  Another part reached out for the source of the strange sensations.  Mostly he attempted to indentify what it was, without inciting a reaction.  He didn't know what would happen if he did.

It was probably just as well that Kai was young.  If he hadn't been, Saat'bas might've been tempted to see what would result from provoking this other thing.

Goldie

As Kai argued with himself and slowly felt the fire in his veins slowly strengthen, his vision turning red inside of his eyelids.  He knew that if he opened his eyes everything would be bathed in orange and gold, fire dancing in his vision.  He thought it was just another natural progression of his blackouts until he heard a myrthless laugh echo through his head.

It seems we have a visitor here... the voice told him his voice filled with cruel intentions I know that I don't like invaders....perhaps I should make him disappear  it wasn't a question.

Immediately the fire flared through Kai's veins with renewed vigor and quickly over took all of his senses.  He felt himself drowning through molten rock until everything faded from brilliant golds into darkness.

But he didn't fall.

Infact, his back straightened and the sun seemed to dance spectacularly in his red hair, giving the illusion of a crown of flames.  His eyes opened, but they were no longer brown...they had taken a beautiful shade of amber and seemed to dance with the same flames that caressed his tresses.  If it was possible, the boy seemed to age five years in an instant and his average appearance faded into a firey elagance that couldn't help but turn heads.

"I'm terribly sorry for before." he was curteous and swept into a lithe bow, lifting his head.  He would have seemed sincere enough if the cruelty had not shown so brightly in his eyes.  This....thing...had invaded his precious thoughts...and for that he needed to understand the gravity of his actions.

"But I'm sure that you will be far sorrier for your prying."  His lips twitched into a grin.  His right had was held behind his back as he called the heat from the earth into his palm.

ooc: I nearly forgot!  If you want to take Saat'bas over to the council feel free!  I'm sure that dear Kai and Zaithens will follow with a vengence XDD

Anonymous

(OOC:  Ahh, actually that takes place at a different point in Saat'bas' timeline.  Unless you were wanting a reason to draw Kai there?)

--------------------

The changes certainly didn't go unnoticed.  Saat'bas watched with intense curiosity as the shifts took place.  He withdrew from the other's thoughts, caught up in the transformation.  He could only grin.  The energy that this human was producing was intoxicating.  It had the taste of fire to it.  And if there was anything he liked most, it was the presence of dancing flames.

Even the boy's hair and eyes seemed alight with it.

He didn't return the bow.  He wasn't fooled by the false courtesy and even less by the lad hiding his hand behind his back.  The human might as well have sent up a flare announcing his intentions.

But Saat'bas didn't flee.  The magic being called upon seemed to work on him almost the same as any fire might.  It got into his blood and his mind.  It burned away the vestiges of civility.  The mage spirit's sadistic nature just fed into his own savage side.  His skin shivered with the energy that was beginning to flow under his skin in response.

The only restraint was the lad's age and the fact that this was not the lad's mind in control.  His wings fluttered slightly as he addressed this new being.

What is it?  Is it a demon?  Is it a spirit?  Why does it possess the mortal boy?

Goldie

Zaithens smirked as he heard the creatures voice in his head.  It was interesting to him how some beings chose to speak through their minds whilst others preferred to keep their thoughts to themselves.  As for himself, he was part of the latter and hated when anyone, no matter their intentions, entered his thoughts.  His mind was his only safe place and even in this life it wasn't much of a seclusion.  Not with the boy's mind mingling with his own.

How many years has it been since he had last gained control of a mortal body?  This was the first time since his imprisonment by the village shawman that he had any control...and he wasn't about to waste his chances.  The boy was growing weaker from the first time he had taken over, and Zaithens was sure that Kai would eventually sleep forever and then he would be able to exact his revenge on the sea folk who destroyed his life and the life after.

He laughed at the creatures questions, tears of amusement stinging the corners of his eyes, "A demon, hardly!" he exclaimed, controlling his outburst to a quiet chuckle, "Spirit, mayhap.  And possess?  I like to think of it more like...living through another."  He grinned, fire still radiating in his eyes.  His had was growing warmer as the fire from the earth's core radiated towards his palm.  He could tell by the others actions that he could sense the fire, so there was no point in hiding it.

Pulling his hand before him he gazed at the fire with a small, secretive smile.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"  he asked, glancing up at the other, "It's amazing that something so wonderful...can be so destructive."

Anonymous

Saat'bas' attention became riveted on the flame.  It was difficult to pull his thoughts together with it wavering in front of him.  Several things tumbled through his mind, though nothing as coherent as before.  His musings skipped from one subject to another and all were less than refined.  He did mange to respond to the mage's comments.

How does he slip Death's grasp, to live in the boy?

His hands raised, palm up, and he curled his fingers reflexively.  His attention was still on the fire.  When the mage spoke of how destructive it could be, it was his turn to be amused.  He grinned.

If such is all he perceives, then he perceives only half.

Goldie

Did the amusement never cease!?  Zaithens couldn't remember the last time he had had so much fun simply talking.  This creature...this....thing that stood before him, was certainly something else.  There weren't many who got excited over fire and it was almost refreshing to finally meet someone with perhaps the same awe filled thoughts about the flames that danced in his palm.

Of course, he highly doubted their interests lay in the same place.  Zaithens was a master of flames, but his love was destruction.  The screaming that fire could invoke was invigorating...the pleading, the chaos, the fear...he fed off of it, and he loved every moment of the pain that he could cause others.

It hadn't always been like that, in fact, there was a time in his life where he valued the beauty of flame and the life that it could revitalize, but that was before his stay with the sea village, before he learned the true meaning of what it meant to hold ones life in the balance.  How many had he killed?  Ten...twenty by his own hand and the rest of the village burned in splendor, finishing off the rest of the doomed tribe.  And all the while he sat back and watched, pleased with his work, amused with their antics, desire coursing through every inch of his body.

"I suppose you mean life?" he asked raising his eyebrow, "I have encompassed its full glory and found life is weak, death is indestructible." At least in most cases.  He had been robbed of being able to die, always caught in the abyss between life and death until he was once again raised up into the mind of a boy to live out another life in the hopes that he would learn a thing or two.

Like hell he'd let that happen.  If anything it only kindled the anger that created his soul.

"As for Death, I suppose I'll never have the pleasure of dancing to its tune.  And living in the boy?  No, no, you mistake my presence here.  It is the boy who lives for me.â€?

Anonymous

Saat'bas tilted his head back, stretching slightly, and laughed loudly.  His wings flared out.  How like a mortal mind, to understand so little.  He rolled his head until it once again faced the mage.  He grinned and flexed his fingers more.  It was such a lovely fire.  It would be even lovelier feeding on a pile of wood.  But he dragged his thoughts back enough to respond.

If is so, why does Life always return?  Why must Death always chase it?

He chuckled, this time cocking his head a bit to one side.

Are they connected eternally.  Must they always follow one after the other.  Do they repeat the steps of the dance for all of existence.

His wings settled against his back again and he turned his thoughts to what else the other had said.  For a second, there's a flicker of something else in his expression.  It almost seemed to be pity.

So does he disprove his words.  A mortal mind kept from Death.  He is not the intended soul for this body, else it would not change.

Goldie

His eyebrows raised at the things comment and he slowly folded his hand into a fist pulling the fire into his veins and dousing the flame in his hand.  He did not like to be second guessed; not when he had lived countless generations through others.  He knew more about the world than most and it was the macabre that made it spin.

"Once again you mistake me." he replied, his voice myrthless now and his orange eyes narrowed, "Life and death come hand in hand, yes, so much is true, but I do not disprove myself any more than your very existance.  Each afterlife is different than the rest based solely on beliefs that govern.  I do not cheat death" his last sentence was biting, the flame he had consumed eminating through his words, anger flairing inside of him "No...there are no mortals whom can cheat it.  My afterlife is merely one that continues onward, living through others that are created as vessels to hold me."

Unfortunately, he was shackled to this continuous afterlife and his control was determined by the will of the chosen.  This boy, Kai, he was weakened from the treatments he was given as a babe and growing, and his own fears and insecurities made his will breakable.  Each time Zaithens was able to break free his will died just a bit more.  Eventually Kai would sleep forever and disappear into the depths of his mind and Zaithens would reign free, unhindered, reeking havok wherever he so desired.

He could feel himself fading as Kai slowly woke from his slumber, but he was not yet ready to let go, not without one final warning.

A small grin pulled at his lips as he once again called fire to his fingertips, "Beware what you invoke." in an instant the fire spread to the foliage that littered the mountainside, catching quickly and with deadly accuracy towards the creature as well as surrounding Kai's body as the flames exploded around them and Zaithens slipped back into his holding place; Kai surfacing.

The switch made the boy weak and the moment Zaithens was gone he collapsed in the middle of the ring of fire, sweat beading on his brow as he shook as with a fever.

Anonymous

Saat'bas was disappointed when the man pulled the fire in.  But it did make it easier to focus on what was being said.  The mage contradicted himself and didn't even seem to notice he had done so.  Had he not just said he would never dance to Death's tune?  And now claimed he didn't cheat Death.  Mortals never explained themselves well.

He didn't know or care much about the afterlife.  That each was controlled by whatever deities held sway over a mortal he could agree with.  Though he thought that if this was the mage's afterlife, then his deity was cruel indeed.  He could think of no greater punishment than to force a mortal soul to continue to dwell in Life's realm past it's natural span.  He had witnessed mortals go mad when faced with the truth of immortality.

Saat'bas felt the rush of the magic only a half second before the flames lept out into the surrounding vegetation.  He managed to move just enough to avoid any flares reaching too close to him.  He didn't notice the change in the boy as once again his attention was caught by the fire.

He was far from afraid as he stood in the midst of the blaze.  He shuddered as the delicious heat rolled in waves over his skin.  It was only when the boy collapsed that his mind was distracted from the sensations.  His thoughts were barely held in check as he glanced over to the fallen mortal.  Fortunately, just as he had savage instincts, he had protective ones as well.  The two warred and the latter one.  He stretched his wings, hopping over to the boy and attempted to pick him up.

Goldie

The moment Zaithens disappeared, the fire flared brightly and then began to fade, dwindling slowly into charred remnants of the wildlife that had once lived on the mountainside.  Birds flew through the air in fear as their homes were destroyed by the sudden blaze.  Some animals had not escaped and their burned remains littered the ground.

Kai was slowly coming back to himself, his limbs shaking as with an ague as his eyelids fluttered open.  At first he thought he was dreaming....his vision was filled with flickering lights of oranges, reds, blacks, blues...but when he closed his eyes against them the heat against his face was enough to let him know that this was not just a dream.  The smoke stung his eyes, but, oddly enough, the heat was not unbearable even at this distance.  It would be enough to make anyone else wonder, but all Kai could think of was how the hell he managed to wake up in the middle of a burning inferno with a head ache to rival the biggest drunkard in the world.

He felt his limbs shift as the green creature he had met before scooped him up, obviously thinking that the flames were going to injure him.  Luckily enough, although Kai didn't know, the powers that were given to Zaithens were also his powers.  He had just never been able to unlock them, let alone know they were their to unlock.

His eyes opened, returning to the rich chocolate brown they were normally, his red hair falling back to a subtle shimmer of fire and his features back to that of a sixteen year old boy.

"W...what?" he murmered, pushing away the creatures arms in order to push himself up to his knees.  "Another blackout?"  he was talking to himself more than anyone else and he pressed his hands to his forehead, slightly surprised to find them noticeably warmer than he remembered.

Looking up he took in the smoldering landscape that now laid before him and groaned.  The flames had followed him here as well!  What was wrong with him that each time he slipped into oblivion fire always followed?  Sometimes he woke to burning houses, screaming people running away....sometimes it was something small...like this.  It was sad that he looked around the charred landscape and viewed it as small when more often people would view it as large....but he gauged intensity on the number of people the fires had injured, and it appeared that in this instance there was only one, and he seemed to be completely normal.

"Not more fire..." he muttered in disgust, wrapping his arms around his chest and sitting back on his heels with a shuddering sigh.  It was too much, all that followed him.  He jsut wanted it to end.

Anonymous

Saat'bas was reluctant to let go, but as the boy seemed insistent he did.  He sat back as the lad gathered himself.  Saat'bas glanced around at the burnt landscape.  There was a little sympathy for the animals, but not much.  He was not in the mood to grieve for them, it was still too early after the rush from the fire.  At the moment he saw it as simply a part of the cycle.  Life would return to this place.

He shifted his attention as the lad spoke again and sighed.  The human seemed upset with what had happened.  Saat'bas felt a tug at that, so he made something of a purring sound meant to comfort.  He conjured up a simple cup of cool water and offered it to the human.  It took a little more effort than usual with the loss of some of the surrounding life energy.

How has he come to possess such a spirit within?

Goldie

Kai's head jerked up as the creatures voice echoed in his head, sending shockwaves of panic through his limbs.  His words seemed to hit home, but he couldn't understand why....he wasn't possessed!  He was himself...a guy who happened to have some obscure fainting sickness...

Wasn't he?

No one had told him otherwise...but even his parents had treated him differently after he had begun blacking out.  He had thought it was to protect him from outside forces that seemed to increase their intensity...but....no....it didn't make sense.  They had been scared, yes, but not for him...they had been scared of him....

No...this couldn't be happening, but all of the pieces fit too closely for it not to be true.  Something was seriously wrong with him....something that he couldn't control...something that had to do with the blackouts.

"I'm not possessed." he told the green man, voice shaking noticeably as he still denied what his heart was telling him was the only answer.  "There's no spirit in me....you don't even know me!"  with that he stood and made to run back the way he had come, but his strength had been sapped from his body and he fell heavily against the boulder with his first step.  The wind was knocked out of his lungs and he huddled there, breathing heavily to make up for the breath he had lost.