Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not so 'sweet life' anymore

Started by Anonymous, July 28, 2006, 12:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

<center>Once again Dria was in the Draconi Forest. It was basically the only place in the Known World that people weren't searching for her. No longer was she the girl of the cool, calm exterior, but her apperance was dissheveled, her feelings rushed and disgruntled. With her right arm encased in a sling made from a shirt the going was rough for our one-armed robber.

Finally she groaned, her frustration coming out more like cat's growl then anything. Sliding down the tree she put her forefinger and her thumb in her mouth, letting out a long whistle that echoed through the ginourmous trees. After about two minutes the screech of a large hawk could be heard and Dria smiled as the black bird swooped down and landed on her outstretched, unhurt arm. Kass, will you find Aranel for me, and ask her if she'll come here?

Smiling as the black hawk screeched again and took off, doing what he knew he should have done a long time ago. Dria sighed and closed her eyes, lying her head back against the tree. Patting the large fox that had taken refuge on her laugh she chuckled dryly, Don't rub it in Todd, I won't feed you any more ice cream.</center>

Anonymous

Aranel glanced up towards the sky as she felt the familiar mind-touch of Dria’s hawk, Kass, as he descended towards her. She put out her arm for him to land on. a flicker of fear went through her, she hoped nothing had happened to the girl.

“Hello, little brother. Does all go well with Dria?�

“She is hurt, sister. But she has finally made up her mind and wishes for you to come to her.� The hawk’s mind-voice held a tinge of relief in it.

Aranel laughed. “Then I will come.�

As Kass took off, Aranel shifted into the form of a red tailed hawk and took off after him. Letting him lead her to Dria. Once she sighted the clearing Dria was in she swooped down and landed on a branch and shifted back to her natural form. She took one look at Dria’s disheveled appearence and a look of curiosity and some concern came over her face. “My dear girl,� she said as she jumped lightly to the ground and strode over to where Dria sat against the tree. “What ever have you done to yourself?�

Anonymous

<center><table width="350"><tr><td><center><font color=darkblue face="Book Antiqua" size="2">
Dria had almost fallen asleep when she vaguely heard footsteps on the leaf litter in front of her. Todd barked a warning and she looked down at the fox, Gee, thanks. She said, since Aranel was in front of her now and any warning would have been futile. Squinting she put her good arm over her the top of her eyes and looked up at the always effortless appearance of the elf maiden. She grunted at the woman's question. Yes, I know, Dria is a very pleasent person.

"Well, there was a cliff, and a mage, and yeah...." Need she say more? Rule number one for theives, don't steal from mages more powerful then yourself. That had been a hard day, one of the few where Dria actually inconvienced herself to steal something of value. She had used her Gift almost all day and when she needed it to shift it hadn't been there. Of course, not being trained Dria hadn't known that her spring was dry. When you fall from a cliff it's a looong way down.

Looking back up at Aranel Dria said blunty, "I don't know what I'm doing. Pure and simple. I'm lucky to be alive right now." That was all she said, if Aranel was going to help her then the elf would tell her so. Right now though Dria wasn't feeling very congenial,  most of the time she wasn't social. Animals were the only ones that she could really hold a conversation with. Granted, she had never really actually tried to hold a civil conversation with a human, seems like she has a lot to learn.</font></center></tr></td></table></center>

Anonymous

Aranel had lived long enough to know that this was not the time to say “I told you so� so she just kneeled by Dria and touched her arm, using her magic to find out the extent of Dria’s wounds. What she found shocked her. Besides her arm which was broken in three places she had at least 3 cracked ribs, a serious concussion, and some internal bleeding. ((I’m totally making this up on my own, hope you don’t mind.)) “You’re luckier that you realize, girl. But unless you get some immediate medical attention, your luck is going to run out permanently.� She was surprised that the girl could even move, much less walk.

“I’m going to put you to sleep while I Heal you. You wont feel a thing, I promise.� She touched the girl’s forehead with two fingers, sending her into a deep sleep. Then she focused on the most serious of Dria’s injuries, the internal bleeding. She closed her eyes as she focused on knitting together the torn tissues in the girl’s body. Her hands seemed to shimmer with green light as her magic flowed from her into Dria’s body. Next she fused together the cracked ribs. She determined that Dria’s concussion wasn’t very serious, she mush have broken her fall with her arm, so she simply healed the cuts on her head, her body would do the rest on its own. Finally she came to Dria’s arm. The first break, in Dria’s upper arm was only a fracture so she simply knitted together the crack and soothed the torn tissues around it to minimize the swelling. The two breaks in her forearm, however, were both complete breaks.

Aranel turned to Todd. “Little brother, would you please find me two straight sticks, about half as long as your tail?â€?  While the fox trotted off to find the sticks, Aranel did a simple summoning spell and her pack appeared on the grass beside her. Todd quickly returned with two sticks about a foot long each, and using the sticks along with a few strips of cloth from her pack, Aranel made a splint around Dria’s arm to make sure that the bones set straight while she healed them. This done, the healing process was easier, and she didn’t run the risk of the bones healing crooked. When she was finally finished she sent out a mental call for Star to come and help her take Dria back to the camp.

When Star arrived, about five minutes later, Aranel effortlessly lifted Dria, still unconscious, onto his back, and then mounted up behind her and Star broke out in a smooth trot toward camp, Todd and Kass trailing behind him. When they arrived at camp, Aranel carefully laid Dria on a pile of blankets. She didn’t expect the girl to wake up for a couple of hours yet, what with the girl’s already exhausted state combined with the told healing took on most people. She sent Kass and her own hawk, Nessa, out to hunt for some small game as it was nearing supper time. Meanwhile she stayed to keep an eye on the sleeping girl.

Anonymous

<center><table width="350"><tr><td><center><font color=darkblue face="Book Antiqua" size="2">
[ooc: It's fine, makes everything more interesting, lol :) ]

When Dria realized that Aranel was going to put her to sleep she jerked her arm to try and stop her. Unfortunately she jerked the arm that was broken and let out a gasp about the same time that Aranel put her to sleep. Slowly her thoughts dwindled to muddled feelings of disbelief, anger and fear of being helpless. She didn't like this one bit. Boy would she be living when she woke up.

Throughout the whole healing process she remembered nothing, it wasn't until almost sunset that she was awoken by the cry of peeping frogs. She rolled over and groaned slightly, her head felt groggy as if she was battling her way through dense fog. Slowly the past events began to focus in her head up until she was put to sleep. Wait! She sat up suddenly, trying to force her way through the rest of her sleepy brain. It worked for a moment but as she sat up the forest began to spin. Holding her head with her hands she waited until the lanscape righted itself then turned her livid eyes on Aranel.

Don't ever do that again! She said, though it probably didn't sound as mean or forceful as she meant it to. She stood up and was completely intent on walking off into the sunset but then she realized something. Besides the constant spinning of her head she felt...good. Suddenly her righteous anger evaporated and she turned back around to face Aranel, remarkably subdued. You healed me? she asked, scratching her head in disbelief. But why can't I tap into my powers? she asked. Of course, Dria didn't know about her concussion, she didn't even know what one was, really.
</font></center></tr></td></table></center>

Anonymous

“Sit down, girl, before you fall and break something else!� Aranel snapped when she saw that Dria was still a little dizzy. She was starting to become a little annoyed at this chit of a girl. “Yes, I healed you. I’m a healer, it’s my job. And if I hadn’t put you to sleep, you would have fainted from the pain in the first five seconds.� She pushed a small wooden plate filled with strips of seasoned meat she had cooked from the pheasants Nessa and Kass had brought in. “Now eat. You’re probably famished. Most people are after a healing of that magnitude.�

She leaned back against a tree as Dria began to eat. “Consider this your first lesson. You can’t tap into your magic because right now, you don’t have anything to tap into. Think of it this way. Your magic is like water in a well that’s fed by a small spring. If you use magic constantly, you run the risk of your well running dry and it takes time for it to replenish itself. The more training you have the deeper the well becomes and the faster it is replenished. There are also ways to use the magic in the land and animals around you to replenish yourself. Depending on how much you exerted yourself, it could take hours, days, or even weeks to fully recover. For you, I would recommend you use as little of your magic as possible and rest for several days.�

((hope all that made sense...lol)