Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

From the Abyss he came (Daft! I summon thee!)

Started by Anonymous, October 07, 2006, 06:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Heh heh, I wouldn't dream of doing any of those. Unless I get really hungry. I don't think any bad will happen to you Bella, I don't plan on that. I'm pretty sure I can protect you for that matter." He said as he stuck his tongue out at her before going back into a more docile state. His eyes closed and made just pathetic noises everytime a mage came to ask about him. It was rather fun to trick these people. They had no idea about him, but it was no real problem.

He waited for when they finally made it to house, smirking as he looked about. Well, that was rather scary...she literally had a cluttered house but...she was a mage. Mages loved to study anyways. He had to repay her for the kindness. Hmm...He knew of something he could, he could summon for her a book of runes. It would probably be useless to her, as there was no primer, and he couldn't teach them to her, but stilllit would no doubt be nice to show off.

"Crowded is an understatement." Nazarul said as he purred slightly, liking the idea of all these books around him. He could learn lots from them perhaps...or at least, he could read about them.

"It's enough Bella." Nazarul said as she shooed at him. He snapped playfully at her hand before jumping down onto a pile of books and then began to enlarge until he was back to his normal size.

"I won't take up much room. Though, I hope you don't mind if I have to leave at night and feed..Well, not tonight at least. Though, I do want to give you a gift. I need a book you won't like anymore." He told her as he sat on his haunches, watching her with a smile.

"I'm going to give you a better gift than that rock. You won't be able to understand, and you'll have to go through trial and error, but you'll be able to read the Abyssal runes eventually."

Anonymous

Bella scowled at him before looking hopelessly about the books, knowing he had a point. Crowded would be a stack of books here or there. She had her own library.

“Good, because I don’t have much room that can be taken up. I could try and…organize.� She suggested and brush her fingers along the back of her neck, staring at the books with defeat clear in her eyes. “Or…not.� She said with a laugh and dropped her hand down to her side, before hearing what he said. Her eyes moved to him and stared with curiosity.

“A book I won’t like?� She asked and shifted to rest along the door frame connecting the two rooms. Her arms crossed over her chest and slowly she began to search the piles and piles of books for one she didn’t like. Then she heard the reason and she pushed herself from the wall and began to search. A few sneezes came from her, dust from books she hadn’t used in a while.

“If I can read those runes, I’ll give you every book in this place!� She shouted before tugging a book out about simple water spells she had learned long ago. Her fingers dusted it off and she twisted her way through the room to him, and stuck the book out to him, looking to him with her green eyes, waiting rather impatiently.

Anonymous

"I take up very little room Bella and don't sleep much." Nazarul said with a shrug as he poked a stack of books once then smirked. He chuckled to himself as he turned to look at her, shrugging his shoulders. He turned to watch her as she started to search through the books. At least she was hurrying now that she knew what it is. He tilted his head, smirking as he waited for a book.

"I just need one book, not all of them." He told her with a grin now. She handed him a book and he took it from her bowing his head in thanks. He dusted it off, expelling a bit of wind to clear it.

"Do you ever clean?" He joked as he set the book down and watched it for a moment. His tail flicked in anticipation as he slowly reached a claw out, which had grown out to five inches or so. He slowly began to draw on it, strange and large runes upon. He also spoke in a harsh dialect, the tone was dark and the words were heavy with consanents. It sounded like a very tough dialect, and obviously it was Abyssal.

Slowly the runes on the book began to glow, began to burn a dark purple. They pulsated this dark energy that seemed to radiate from the very book. Pressure lines began to form around the book, as if it were absorbing energy from the world around it. The book glowed white suddenly and it slowly began to change itself. The outlying cover grew black with red veins covering the front and back. The tips flattened and pointed out like spikes, and the pages turned to a crisp faded yellow colour. The words that once spoke common changed to runes, thousands upon thousands of runes.

The burning runes on the front slowly died down until nothing but smoldering black imprints were left on the front. The book seemed to be living almost as the red lines glowed once in a while, pulsing like blood. Nazarul seemed generally pleased as he hugged the book once.

"Summoned from the Abyss, I can still feel the imprint." He said as he looked down to the large book, then up to her, holding out the strange book.

"It's a little warm still. The first five pages are a primer of sorts. Then it moves onto rune words, and then using those words to do your bidding. I'd just be careful, write the runes out carefully to get a feel for them. Our Alphabet is different from yours, as it has things like Au and Bo, Ci and Ke...It's a vocal language." Nazarul said with a smirk, his eyes still upon Bella as he held the book out to her.

"You'll figure it all out...just...don't show it to ANYONE. Don't take it outside, and say nothing, practice these runes inside, and then burn the paper you use. I could be in a lot of trouble for letting you have this book...." Nazarul said with disdain. He was already IN trouble but...this was letting a non Abyssal resident learn the Abyssal language. He hoped he could put his trust into her, or else he'd have to end the poor girl.

Anonymous

Bella folded her arms across her chest as she heard him, defiance radiating from her.

“Sometimes, when I have time.� She retorted back to him, before he began to write something on the cover of the book. Instantly she forgot her wish to be rebellious and moved to stand closer to him. She watched as he chanted and refused to tear her eyes away as the book began to change.

She shifted to stand in front of him as he hugged this new book, blinking as she tried to lean forward, top teeth biting along her bottom lip. As he held the book out, she took no time in taking it from her hands, fingers twitching a bit as she felt the warmth. As he spoke all she could do was nod, before a smile twisted her lips upwards, and she began to shift her weight back and forth from foot to foot.

“Don’t show it to anyone, don’t go outside with it, burn the paper. Got it.� She said, her voice flooded with excitement as she immediately threw the front cover open to a random page, and a groan slipped from her lips. There were a lot of ruins. More than a lot, and she didn’t understand a single one of them. Slowly she swallowed and shut the cover of the strange book, looking up to him.

“I’ll figure it all out.� She replied back to him with a wide grin and began to glance around for a moment, looking for some free space to sit and start. She was more than eager to begin learning the runes.

Anonymous

"Well find time. It's no wonder you don't have a mate." Nazarul commented to her as he hopped onto a small pile, managing to balance himself as he watched her with a grin. That was perhaps not the best thing to say but...he had to say it. He had seen how she snatched the book from him, now holding it like it was a priceless piece of glass, and it was pretty much like that.

"I could teach you some of it, but I'd rather not teach you all of it. The Abyssal language requires experience as well." He told her as he sat down now across from her as he slowly took the book from her and set it down, opening it up to the first page.

"Just grab a piece of paper and a quill. However, for this...I just want you to write it, and at the end of the rune, write it with a small curl." He explained to her as he pointed to the first rune. He smiled to her as he tapped it once.

"However...the last rune you write in the series, don't curl it. Just write it normally. If you write it properly, it will glow like the runes did, then it will go black. You know they work because they glow." He told her as he swished his tail around and smiled, looking to the book.

"This is the letter...Ae. If you write it upside though, it makes the letter A as well. That's the thing you must remember about our language. It's versatile and tricky. All the letters that are two, like Bo, Fi, Ki, De, all turn into another letter. Usually the first letter. It may not seem very handy but...we have a lot of words that are Bo'kesh, Ki'mi, Fi'De'Klamr. Things that require two letters at a time." This wasn't too difficult, and he always had wished someone had told him this before he started his summoning and had messed things up. Ugh. Worst day of his life that one had been. This was was better, despite exile from the Abyss, he had made...a friend.

Anonymous

Bella stopped as she heard him and pressed her tongue firmly to the roof of her mouth, fighting back any rude comments that she had a strong urge to say to him. Her head tilted down and she shifted back from foot to foot, before locking a harsh, green gaze upon his balanced form.

“That is none of your business, and I suggest you stop using comments like that. I’d much rather commit my time to magic then some…some stupid male.� She spat the word out, before pushing the topic from her mind. This was a time for learning these runes, and that is exactly what she would do.

When he took the book from her she allowed him to do so, but her lips remained in a firm straight line and her eyes simply staring down at the book. At his directions to grab parchment and a quill she moved to rummage through some of the books and pulled out a piece of parchment, a quill, and an inkwell. Once the items were grabbed she moved back to him and after pushing some books from a chair, tugging it up by him. Immediately concentration fell upon her and she dipped the tip of the quill into the ink. She did exactly as he instructed, and the continued on and ended the last rune in the series just as it should have looked, no curl included. It didn’t glow. There was no irritation upon her features, however. She simply scratched it out and started fresh beneath it, and that time it glowed, and a sigh fell from her lips.

“Not too bad.� She spoke out as she listened to him explain the letters and the language. Slowly she nodded her head and dipped her quill into the ink once more.

“Another one.� She said with the excitement of a child getting sweets. Her mind was instantly cleared of her snap at him moments before by the runes she was learning. Figure it that education and knowledge would come before her personal matters.

Anonymous

"What? You people have choices whether you want to mate? Lucky. When mating seasons comes, we mate. Period. There is no choice. Of course, for the rest of the months we don't need to mate, but well...Every race can do whatever they wish." He told her with a chuckle, then put on a resented look.

"And I'm a male thank you very much. I'll prove that to you if I have to." It was hard to tell if he was joking or not, but he had his arms crossed and was looking at her with a funny expression.

He kept himself down as he watched herworking, trying to get the rune just right. When her first try didn't result in anything, he tilted his head. That happened once in a while, after all she was new at this sort of thing.

"First thing I'm going to teach you is how to make a new room in your house." He told her suddenly as he looked down at the paper. Smiling he began to flip through the book, until he got to a particular page.

"This page. It's a little advanced but if you got that first rune easily, you can get this one. I want you right out this line right here. This line basically creates an interdimensional space behind a door. The room will be a little...creepy to say the least, it'll look like the book almost. Bone structured walls and scary things like that. It'll be about fifteen feet long or so in each direction." He explained to her as he moved back a bit.

"Remember, just write curls first. When you make the actual mark, you'll be writing it on a door." He explained to her carefully.

"After that we'll have some place to put all these books of yours." Yes, Nazarul was planning on moving in for the long haul with this strange human. Like he had a choice of course, he needed to, he wanted to, it was something very nice that would work out good for him.

"You don't even have to move the books, I'll do it myself, but I want this place clean if I'm gonna live here. Er, which I hope still stands."

Anonymous

Bella continued to look at the paper at his question and gave a nod to what he said about mating.

“Yes. We can do it whenever, with whoever. Doesn’t matter if you’re already with someone else. You can just go at it like rabbits. And no, I’ll take your word for it. No need to be proving or showing anything.� She chuckled to the paper before he took the book and turned the page, explaining to her what it would do. Just as she opened her mouth to ask why she would need another extra room, he answered her question.

“The books are fine.� She grumbled to the book as she began to study what he told her to write, and then she went to the parchment and began to practice it. The first time tried, there was no glow, but she tried again and it was there.

“Yes, yes, you’re still living here as long as you like. I’m so glad I picked up a being of an unknown species, and he happens to be an obsessive compulsive cleaner. As long as you don’t clean it too much. But I suppose I could use an extra room for these books. That means all the more room for brand news books!� She said and lifted her eyes from the paper to give a wide grin to him, lifting a hand to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, a strand that wasn’t up with the rest of the messy bun.

“Is there any way to change what the room looks like? If it looks like this book I might not be able to go in it!� She joked, looking up to him through her lashes before going back to the book, shifting the quill within her fingers. “There a rune in here for redecorating?� She questioned, the corners of her lips twitching upward.

Anonymous

"Obsessive compulsive? No...I take pride in where I live you know." He told her as he stuck his tongue out at her again.

"Well if you're sure that you don't want me to prove it then, guess I'll have to keep it..erm...hidden." Nazarul said, knowing he didn't wear pants for that matter. He watched the rune glow, his tail whipping excitadly behind him. This was excellent, she was taking quickly to the whole thing then wasn't she?

"There...is a way to change it I suppose. It's not technically changing the room itself, but changing how your eyes perceive it. It's an illusion spell, and it's rather difficult. You have to first choose the colour you want, and then you apply it to where ever you want. Though, you have to apply it for whatever wall you want, then ceiling, floor...doors..." He explained to her as he flipped the book a few more pages and pointed to a particular entry.

"There. First though...you'll need a door." He told her as he moved away to go to a wall, looking at the empty and clean wall.

"Write the runes just as you would, but write them large, and around the wall like an arch way. You have to complete it, start at the bottom here," Nazarul explained as he crouched to point at an area. "Then you go upwards, move around, come down, then over, right back to where you started. " He said as he pointed again to the same spot.

"They'll burn, and when you want, you simply walk straight into it. Of course, you'll need to put an illusion spell on the wall to hide the room." He told her with a grin, returning back to her and the book, flipping back to the extradimensional room.

"Think you can handle it?"

Anonymous

((Sorry it took so long! I had a lot going on the past few days.))

Bella couldn’t help but laugh and slowly shake her head, before cringing a bit, tapping the tip of the quill along the paper, looking up to him.

“Yeah, you’ll keep it hidden.� She retorted to him, biting her lip before hearing that there was a way to change the room that sounded like it would be, well, spooky. She listened intently as he explained how the runes would work and leaned forward as he began to flip through the book.

“Okay.� She said and nodded her head, before pushing herself up to a standing position and followed him to stand behind him a tad, staring at the blank wall. She found it difficult to believe that a room would soon be there, but then again, she was a mage and she was used to surprises and neat tricks. Her hand moved back and forth, making the feather of the quill brush along her lips as she crossed her other arm over her waist, giving a nod here or there as she listened to what she had to do.

“I think I can do it.� She finally spoke and walked back to where he was, grabbing the book and keeping it on that page as she moved to the wall, setting the book down at her feet, staring down at the bottom. Slowly, with careful precision she began to make the rune marks, just as she had been told to do, curls and no curls and what not.

“So aside from memorizing the runes, is there any actual learning or spell casting involved?� She asked as she continued to create the runes, following what the book said exactly to do, and then copied it onto the wall.

Anonymous

Nazarul shook his head as he lay down, watching her work and trying to get the runes correct. She had the right idea, the runes looked exactly like they did in the book. She was good at this sort of thing, wasn't she? Nazarul smiled slightly though as he pondered his answer.

"For you, there will only be the memorizing of runes. After a while, the runes will become a part of you. You won't need the book, for the runes will have been burned into your mind...so to speak. You'll want a fire, and suddenly your hands will move as if possessed, and you will draw the correct rune." He explained the ways of the runes as best he could, it was more of a strange soul link almost.

"I can't teach you how to speak the runes, that is far more complicated, and I don't think you have the tongue for it. I speak Abyssal now, but there is a second language, Abyssal Runes. This allows me to simply say the rune, and it will do my bidding. Though, that doesn't work for all runes, like this room for example." Nazarul slowly crawled to the book to peer into it, then up at her work so far.

"Good, just make the arch, bring it down, then do a horizontal line to connect it with the beginning runes. That will make an arch way...er...a door way I suppose which you will use." He told her as he pointed to the crude example in the book. At least it had some pictures to help her with it.

"This rune-way will be good. You'll be able to store all your books in here, and none of the other mages will be able to sense the room or illusion. At least I think that's how it goes." He wasn't sure if mages could sense such things, after all, it wasn't truly magic, it was...hard to explain. Nazarul thought this over and then shrugged, deciding it probably wasn't important anyways.

"You're almost done. I hope this works." After all, if she messed up somewhere, she might create something else, or for that matter, it might not work at all. He wasn't sure which was worse at the moment. Failure probably.

Anonymous

Bella nodded slowly as she listened to him talk, still concentrating on drawing the runes along the wall. When he moved closer to the look at the book and then her progress, she looked to him and flashed a smile, before bringing it back down just as instructed, coming towards the end of the wall, where she had started in the first place.

“Good. Last thing I need is the mages here figuring out I’m doing some sort of foreign rune magic.� She laughed, before finishing off the last rune. Holding her quill tightly in her fingers, she jumped back from the wall as each mark began to glow, staring at it with apprehensive, green eyes.

“Did it work? They glowed!� She asked, before the doorway came into existence, and she gave a wide grin, jumping up and down slightly, before rushing to the side of the book, staring at the picture, and then up to the door, before she quickly flipped through the pages.

“What else can I do?� She asked, excitement clear in her voice as strands of red hair fell forward, blocking her face from either side, but she was too occupied to worry about her hair, she’d just created a room using abyssal runes!

Anonymous

Nazarul moved to the door and looked at it, at the outlines, and the somewhat crude door. He simply walked through the door itself, not bothering to open it. That was just an illusion as well. Part of the spell unfortunately. He poked his head back out of the door, which must have looked rather neat, and grinned.

"It worked alright. First though, you'll need to conceal this doorway." He slipped out of the wall so to speak to go to the book, flipping through the pages. "Write this half on the wall, and half on the runes of the archway. That way the illusion will cover the doorway and make it look like the rest of the wall." He explained to her as he stepped away from the area for her.

"We'll do the inside of the room later, when you're a bit more advanced." He said to her quietly, knowing she'd advance very quickly. After she was finished this, she could get back to her studies of the individual runes and such. Nazarul had shrunk himself slightly and was back to lying on a pile of books not far from her, watching Bella carefully.

He knew the dangers of all this, the attention she might bring to herself, or the trouble that might befall her. He was confident however, and besides, it was a good trade off. She wanted knowledge, and he needed a place abundant with magic and negative emotions. It was a fair trade in the end.

Anonymous

Bella lifted a hand to cover her mouth, although a muffled giggle slipped through as she saw his head sticking through the door, pushing herself to her feet. She remained silent and propped her hands on her hips, smile stuck to her lips as she observed her work. It looked like a door, and she assumed there was a room behind the illusion seeing as how he was standing in it.

"Conceal it. Gotcha." She said and nodded her head, looking down to the runes he was talking about, and then turned her attention back up to the door as he told her what to do. She gnawed on her lower lip in thought, tapping the quill to the side of her face, knowing this would be a bit more difficult than creating the door had been.

"Okay, I think I can do this." She replied and turned her head to look at him on the pile of books, slightly smaller than usual and she grinned over to him, before taking a few steps towards the door, getting her quill tip wet with ink. After inhaling and exhaling heavily she began to copy the ruins from the book onto the wall, making sure not a single drop of ink was out of place, for fear of what the consequence would be if she were to mess up. The thought sent chills down her spine. Then again, runes was kind of like magic. You do the wrong spell, and there is always a chance of a horrible outcome. Same with runes. The thought comforted her and she was able to go on and continue to copying of the symbols, completly concentrated.

Anonymous

"All these books are boring." Nazarul stated, more to himself than to her as he flipped through them. No real pictures, just words. Hundreds of words in small print. At least his book was technically all pictures. That gave him a one up on her book. He closed the book he had been reading, looking to her and smiling. She was doing a real good job. A real good job indeed.

"That's perfect, just don't mess up. This set of runes resemble very closely the one that would fill this place with icy cold water." There was no rhyme or reason to the runes usually, an illusion spell could fill a house with water, a summon spell could create burnt food if done wrong, a spell to light a fire might actually make a tree grow. The Abyss was like that, unpredictable at times.

Nazarul hopped down from his stack of books to approach Bella and the book, looking from her work down to the book carefully. Yes, they all pretty much seemed to match for now.

"You can swim right?"

Anonymous

Bella lifted her head to look at him and scowled, shaking her head at his comments.

“They aren’t boring. They are incredibly educational, and help a lot.� She retorted over to him, her eyes falling back down to the task at hand. She was tediously copying each word onto the wall, slowly going down to the finish, before she quickly placed her finger where she had finished, listening to what he had said.

“What? You could have told me that before! Before I was just expecting it to…not work. Now I’ve got to worry about a flood of freezing water!� She yelled at him, before clamping her top teeth along her lower lip, and turned back to work. When he began to look at the book and her work, she stopped again, trying to fight back her nerves. She’d done dangerous spells a million times, but the question that came next unnerved her.

“I’m a mage not an athlete! Of course I can’t swim!� She snapped at him and immediately drew her hand away from the wall and the one from the book to her chest, staring at what she had to do left. She swallowed heavily and stared. She couldn’t stop right then just because of some cold water.

Anonymous

"I told you that each rune can mean different things. You should have guessed as much from an entire group of runes." He said with a smile as he looked up to her, sticking his tongue out at her before he hopped away back to a stack of books to rest upon. When she snapped at him he blinked a few times and then laughed.

"I'm a Demni, not even from this world, barely have a knowledge of water, and yet I can swim. My place doesn't even have water, we have to make it. This place however I know has it. I can smell it on the winds. So is that your only excuse?" Nazarul said as he laughed quietly, his arms crossed now as he watched the woman.

"Just hurry up with the runes. Thankfully the illusion will cover the runes for the illusion spell." Nazarul said as he wagged his tail back and forth, watching her.

"Mmm, what time does it get dark in this place? I want to go hunting and exploring." His eyes cast to a window, as a person walked by here and there. The town was that populated obviously, but still...it was pretty much full of mages and such. That was always a benefit. Food was everywhere, and all mages seemed to be sour and unruly so the unpleasant emotions would reign here too. It was just too goo to be true. If his people knew of this place, they might just invite him back.

Anonymous

All Bella could do at the moment was glare, and glare she did. Like a moody child she turned her back to him and dipped the quill into the inkwell and continued to draw the runes with a careful hand. As he continued to talk, she continued to remain silent, until his inquiry about the sunlight leaving and his hunting. Her hand drew away from the wall and she turned just her head to look over her shoulder at him.

“You better not hurt a single person in this town or you’ll know exactly what it is I learn from those boring books.� She pointed the tip of the quill towards him, before turning back to the wall and continued to write.

“When I was five years old a group of boys from town threw me into the lake. I couldn’t swim and thought that was the end for me. I don’t like swimming. I think my excuse works just fine, thank you very much.� She spoke, noticing she was growing closer and closer to the end of the runes, until finally she came to the last one. She hesitated, before quickly drawing the shape, and she was to her feet faster than one could blink.

Her eyes were tightly shut and her hands in fists at her side, before slowly she opened one eyelid, and then the other, and a smile of relief spread along her lips as the runes glowed.

“Worried over nothing,� She wiped her hands on the front of her breeches before turning to look out the window, then towards him with a sigh.

“An hour and the sun will be at the horizon,� She answered him, green eyes pinned on his form.

Anonymous

((Eeee, so sorry! I meant to do this way earlier! I posted though! See! See!))

"I thought you learnt that I don't hurt people. Simply subdue, feed, and escape. In your case it was subdue, feed, and beg for shelter in exchange for knowledge." Nazarul commented as he watched her work, wondering what might happen if he DID actually hurt someone. She might be rather mad, and she was now in control of some powerful and dangerous magic. She might hurt him, but she wouldn't exile him from her house. The power of the book would end up destroying her without a teacher.

"You should learn to swim. It isn't hard, and you may need to know one day." Nazarul commented as his tail finally stopped it's wagging, watching her as she moved away from the runes. Indeed they had started to glow, and for that matter, nothing bad was happening. The runes for the door disappeared, along with the ones for the illusion spell. It looked like the wall hadn't been touched.

"Excellent work. I think that's enough for today. I'll sneak into there later and do the runes for the room itself to make it look more...like this house. You probably won't be able to reach the ceiling anyways and well...I can work much faster." Nazarul said as he hopped from the books to go over to the window, peering out it. He had grown back to his natural size, and was walking simply on his hind legs. He was careful though not to stay at the window too long.

"An hour you say? Well, what would you like to do till then Bella?" He asked, turning around to look at her with his arms crossed over his chest.

"We need to do something to kill the time. Something fun. Got any games we could play? Games besides 'Let's learn about the Abyssal Runes' and such."

Anonymous

((Oh! It's fine! Haha, I was just wondering =P It's no problem at all))

“I’ll have no reason to know how to swim.� Bella replied back too him, pressing her fingers into the back of her neck as she turned to face him, watching him move over to the window and look out of it.

“Alright. But you’ll have to show me how you do the runes later.� She pointed towards him after tucking her red hair behind her ears.

She watched him as he asked what they could do until it became dark, even suggesting games, and she had to muffle a laugh with the palm of her hand. Slowly she began to look around the rooms and at the piles of books, folding her arms across her chest. Bella had never really played games before, she’d always been too busy studying.

“I like the learning abyssal runes game though!� She whined before she broke into a laugh, leaning her head to the side before shrugging her shoulders. She was coming up blank. She’d never had a person around that needed to be entertained, so she was kind of new at this.