Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Poltergeist Refrain (Open Thread)

Started by Anonymous, May 18, 2007, 09:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Time』: Afternoon (Like two hours after noon...)
Locale』: The Eachan house hold, with part of doubles as a store.
Current Characters In Play In Thread』 Bryce Eachan, Brynja Dewin

"<font color="996666"><I>Do you have enough time to actually get around to the store today</I></font>?" The question filtered through the velvet throngs of sleep, threatening wakefulness with it's sarcastic over tones. Squeezing her eyes tightly shut, the sleeper tried the hardest she ever had to remain, well, sleeping.

Heaving a sigh laced with agitation, as well as determination, the looming speaker clears her throat loudly before trying again to force her way. "<font color="996666"><I>If not I can wake your ailing Da and have him mind business,</I></font>" A pause, "-<font color="996666"><I>is that what you would like me to do, Isolde</I></font>?"

Like her own mother, and millions of other (annoyed) mothers around the world, Hagan slapped the "Middle Name" card down on the table, smugly awaiting her sloth of a daughter's response.

Sure enough, like every child annoyed more with having their middle or full named used less than what they were being bothered to do, Bryce flopped gracelessly onto her back airing a groan of defeat. "No mum, that ain't wha' I wan'." The purple haired mass of hung over teenager mumbled, "Can aye I at least git anoth'a ten minutes in first?"

Suddenly the word annoyed was not quite strong enough a word to describe the white hot feeling that crept it's way into Hagan's heaving chest; there weren't enough explicative in all the languages in all the word actually.
Storming across the narrow expanse of the room, white knuckled, the thick bodied woman fought to get a hold on the sea-weed-like tangles of white sheeting that cocooned the purple haired terror that she called her daughter.
"I'll give you another ten minutes of life, that is what I will do, if you don't get out of bed <B>NOW!" Although she could not get a single finger hold on the sheet, and Bryce felt herself growing more and more amused with the situation, a death threat is never to be taken lightly; certainly not in the Eachan residence as of late.

"Aye ah'lready feel like aye'm dyin', mum!" Bryce gurgled mid whimper, slowly coming to a sit amongst the mess of sweat soaked bedding. "Can'tcha find it in ya'heart t'pity me jus' this once?"

Easing back and away from her daughter, arms folding across her chest, Hagan leered downward with a shake of her head. "Let's not make this an issue of pity, Bryce." The woman knits her fingers into the patch of grey that had begun to take root near her right temple. "That is a talk that could go on all day at this point." Thin lips pressed into a frown as she examined her daughter and then spoke the obvious, "You drank after work again, didn't you?"

Having lofted herself up, Bryce hid her nakedness underneath the same off white sheet that her Hagan had failed to confiscate. To add insult to her mother's injury, she wore a lopsided grin as she spoke. "C'mon mum!" Spake all too loudly, meriting a throbbing within her skull and a watery wash against the emptiness of her belly. Sputtering, she fights for a few moments and eventually regains her 'footing'.
"It wa' jus' a'few anyhow!"

With a click of her tongue against the roof of her mouth, Hagan figures that she made her point without having to say too say much more; given Bryce's current state. "I don't care how many or who bought them, so spare me," Again with the deep sighs of parental disapproval, "Just be downstairs in ten minutes, we have a lot of people coming into pick up their orders today."

And with that....
Hagan, the triumphant matriarch, turned on her heels and left the room. Mighty Bryce had....undoubtedly struck out.

Up, up, and to the bathroom for a quick puke and bath. After which she dressed and headed down to the store front, far from ready to begin her day.

<font color="996666">OOC NOTE</font>: <font color="996666">The Eachan  family owns a small/eclectic grocery in the village. While it sells/barters some normal wares, their main selling point is their magical charms, incantations written with the common folk in mind, various potions, and medicinal spells.</font>》

Anonymous

Click-clack, click-clack
The sound had gone on for days, days on days on days. Hell, how long had it even been? No matter how many times she made the trip to La'marri from Arca it still amazed her how absolutely mind numbingly boring the trek over the Terrin mountains could be on oxen drawn cart. It was much more fun to go your own path, take some time to breath in the fresh air (rather than, say ode du oxen poo) get lost and see something new, sleep under the open sky at night. It was much more fun yes, but also alot longer, and more draining. Given how often the short ginger haired girl made the trip between her hometown in Serendipity and the free mages city of La'marri she opted to take the less exerting but much blander method of travel.

Little incandescent drawings graced the pages of Brynja's grimoire, scrawled in abject boredom between naps. Now the book lay closed and locked at her lap again, up on the horizon La'marri coming into view. As the cart wormed its way around the little precarious bridges splashed over the twining rivers that bent their way across the outskirts of the city, the small thing that was Bryn was hardly able to keep herself still. After oh so damned long sitting without a thing to do, finally almost here! It was all of her will not to bound off to run the last of the way there, in fact she would well have done it if not for the fact that luggage was not a light thing to carry. Not to mention that long rides sitting down came with an unavoidable complication, "sore-ass-itus".

The morning sun barely eking its way over the peaks of the Terrin mountains in the east, sunlight landing in little patches on Brynja's skin made her warm and sleepy, prime conditions for a nap until she made it to town. A firm flop, and she was back down lying, staring up at the sky as it stratiated from the violets of night, to the green blue of the morning sky flecked with yellows. The stars still stood, pinpricks of light having faded from the sea they were not a few hours ago, growing dimmer and dimmer still. Or was that just from her eyes closing?

Was it the stop of her ride that jerked her awake, the bustle of the mid day city or was it the fact that the cart driver was prodding her with a rather large stick? Probably the latter. Brynja rose to her feet quickly, swatting the thing off. What did he think she was dead? Can he not hear the snoring? Is he that deaf and senile in his old years of 30?

"Gaw, I'm goin' I'm goin'!"
Stooping to pick her luggage, a few bags of clothes, her books and various strewn papers, quills and powders for her study she bundled them as she could in her arms, across her arms, under them. Waddling like a penguin stuffed on a sea bass buffet, she slowly, slowly made her way from the stop and into the city proper. At least this meant no more ox baking biscuit scent! Brynja was a bullet, a speeding flash at nearly an inch every two or three minutes towards her lodgings, greeting the laughs, smiles and awkward looks of passerbys with a grin. Her arms carrying the load still under her black linen traveler's mantel, she was an engorged blackberry wobbling down the cobblestone paths; stopping every so often to ask an amused local for directions. Despite how many times she had come here, to stay at the exact same inn for studies she always managed to forget the way. More than likely because before she could even get there the gingery girl would be tempted away by the scent of pastry. And at the very thought of it Bryn nearly toppled and lost all of her heavy totes. The scent of it came next, oh dear god not the scent of it! Turned, nose keened towards the sweets that after a whole trip of nothing but dried food that not so little stomach of hers craved more than anything, she was drawn along by an ethereal thread (a strained ethereal thread) into a nearby shop. Charms, spells incantations and pastry? Who could complain? Especially with the food, oh god the food.

In through the doors trundled a lumbering, wobbling...thing. A bloated black fruit or berry with a wide brimmed hat and an even wider grin. Autumn red hair fell this way and that, unkempt with a lack of free hands to smooth it down, and garnet eyes darted here and there, looking for the source of that wonderful smell. The only words that fell from her lips, being a simple.

"Pastries?"

It must have been an odd sight indeed.

Anonymous

After a boiling hot bath and five trips to the toilet, all hot water for the house hold and store was <B>gone.  Watching her daughter lumber about the store, struggling to remember what items were to be stocked where, Hagan knew that she was going to regret getting her way for once. With a sick husband to deal for and charms that needed writing, there wasn't even an inch with which to turn about and change her mind; she would have to leave Bryce to her own devices for they day, and hope that they would still be in business tomorrow. Having pulled in a few crates of salted meat and fresh baked goods, she had done about all that she could; and even that little counted as extra at the moment.

"Maybe she'll learn her bloody lesson this time?" The aging woman sighed to herself, feeling foolish the moment that the words hit the air.
They were words that she had said pretty close to every morning for the last three years, since Bryce had taken to working nights at the nearby tavern. Shaking her head, her shoulder slumping, Hagan gathered herself up and headed back toward the house; with Iain as ill as he was, she felt that she  had to keep constant watch over him.

With so much going on with her family, some would wonder just how Bryce was handling it so well? The truth should be as plain as day, she <B>wasn't coping well the prospect of her father's emanate passing. To assure him comfort in his last years she not only promised to take on the family trade, but had also began working nights slogging ale and serving up orders; a wench by any other name (and in so many ways). Tankard after tankard of Potus Ypocras and/or Clarrey (whichever the boys felt like buying her in hopes of gaining her affections or a short stay in her bed) only kept her mind off of the pressing issues for so long.

Snatching up the Frytour of erbes and Almond Milk that her mother had left for her, Bryce stumbled behind the counter and began to sullenly pick at her afternoon meal. While the warmth felt good going down, it caused her stomach to tense as soon as it hit it's basin. Too busy being a roustie for her own good, as always, she had lapsed when it came to meals.
"Ow' th' 'ell did'aye not eat yester'dei?" She asked herself through forced swallows, her body threatening to expel the food (and what remained of the libations in her system) to the recently polished wood counter top. Like most questions that the young girl posed, she didn't intend to go about seeking an answer to that one either.

Some how succeeding at doing her two favorite things at once (sleeping and eating), she slumped against the counter.

Images laced in inky black, white, and sepia began to over come her vision, lulling her back into the seedy sleep from wince she was pulled;<I>slowly</I>,<I>slowly</I>,<I>almost there</I>....

"Pastries?"

Gagging on the batter-fried herb fritter that she had (so carelessly) forgotten was still in her mouth, Bryce jerked up and to a stand looking like a jilted rabbit. "Eh!? Wha?"
After a long series of wet blinks she came back to the land of the living, eyes falling on the shrouded figure ahead. Too 'water logged' to think better, the girl laughs to herself, grinding the heels of her palms into her eyes.
"I....mus'be som'amount a'drunk still!" Two minutes of laughter followed before she realized that she <B>wasn't seeing things...

"Uhm, how can I help you?" She fought hard, and won by a very thin margin, against the inebriated slur that clung to her tongue.

<font color="996666">OOC</font>: <font color="996666">My god! Bryn is so cute! I love her!</font>》

Anonymous

While some people would take offense to being laughed at for two whole mintues straight, Brynn was more apt to catch the laugh and join in on it. That must have made things look even odder. Now the bloated blackberry creature was not only wobbling but had started laughing too! What next, was it going to bring a whole bushel of it's produce pals in to yuk it up? Is that how these things communicate, or maybe it's trying to mimic speach? Are there more of these little blackberry creatures lurking around the corner, they might well be planning to replace all other forms of like pod people style! Then, the blackberry seemed to rustle, convulse, squat down and let a large set of luggage rest on the floor, slimming its figure somewhat...but in the store?! Has it no decency?

Popping the brim of the black lined hat back, showing a rather plump pie shaped face lived inside of the blackberry somewhere. This was a disturbing turn of events, did it consume people or was it shifting to mimic their appearance? And once it unclasped it's mantle and walked forward towards the counter it revealed itself as...

Just some girl who had all of her baggage under a mantle like a genius. Brynn came to the counter, now tottling a little less, but only a little bit so without the extra weight. She didn't really bother to look after her bags much, be that carelessness or the fact that they were lined with incendiary charms, who knows in the end really?

At the counter Brynja noticed several things, not the least of which being the bright purple tinge to the hair of the girl working there. Her dozing off with food still in her mouth, the slur on her tongue all called up fresh memories to the short little thing's mind, memories of a world she knew so well. Drink tends to want to wash itself down with more drink, and the cycle continues until the next morning you want to hollow your insides with a soup spoon, but then that just invites more drink! The red head narrowed her eyes in a sympathetic smile, casting garnet over glazed tiger's eye.

"Late night? Have fun I'd hope at? I might could use a few of those lovely pastries I smell, how much you charge for 'em?"
Her voice was bubbly and amused but kept from being utterly squeeky, as she jauntied around in place. Hands dug into the pockets of the leather bag still slung across her shoulder, fumbling through vials and pouches to find her coin purse. A small leather bag tied off with red string, which she pulled upon to find a small (very small) remaining content to. A quick sigh, without letting it sink too deep in her, her mind running over the scene at hand...

1) Unusual hair color
2) Cute
3) Drinker

Hit on = very yes.

Any attempt to do so (Oh and there were a multitude of cheese factory level ones she had ready) were quickly shot down by a loud rumbling from her stomach, demanding that its needs be sated before she even think about having her jollies. Always gets in the way that damned thing. And so with that, a few plinks of coinage were plopped down, jingling and clinking off of the wooden counters as a starting offer. Some places made you haggle prices on a damned grain of wheat after all.

A wry smile across her face, the redheaded girl motioned with her eyes to the herbed Frytour, laughing again heavily but with no real bite, "Enjoyin' that?"

<OOC: Brynn loves you too! In a very pervy way, rarr~>

Anonymous

One,two,three,four,five....
No, this was no owl with wide rimmed glasses pointlessly counting down the demise of a confectionery. It was the flick and flitter of tiger's eye colored orbs, Bryce doing what she could, and failing, to take in what was going on. For a glimmer of a moment she had thought that her days was going on as usual, only to have a waddling blue creature of some sort make it to the counter and 'make' on the floor. The first words that popped into her foggy mind was, "No one is gunna make me clean up that mess," even though the truth was obvious to her the moment that she spoke, of course she was, it was just an issue of when. Squinting blearily at the thing in front of her, she attempts to dissect it with her eyes. Still very much clueless she draws back a little, tears collecting at the very corners of her eyes, her stomach doing flip flops as her breakfast hit's it's bottom like a brick.

Of all days, today? Was this the universe's way of demanding that Bryce spend the rest of her days sober, or else be made a meal of by some gooey blue persecutor from the beyond?

It is time to make your peace, girl, you may well find a shred of dignity before you have to face final judgment.

Even then, any god was hard to find, as Bryce could not even force herself to mutter a prayer, or even half of one, for her immortal soul.
Hung over or not, there was nothing doing, there would be no mysteriously finding religion for her.

It was then that the unthinkable happened.....
the pod was making jolly, laughing and jittering a little as it did. Such things were normally reserved for children's books of fancy, or a sight while blazingly drunk. She was neither a child or still under the affects of the ale, so Bryce honestly was not sure just what the flipping fuck was going on.

When in doubt.....
try to make a little of a ass of yourself while scraping for some semblance of normalcy.

Rubbing her knuckles into her eyes, shifting her weight to and fro, Bryce dug deep in an attempt to ground herself; her mum wasn't going to be too happy with her if she chased off a patron, even if said patron probably bled purple rather than red. Then again she should be used to the unexplainable, when in La'marri....so the saying went.

Mid jaw drop, before she could find any words, the bubbling well of blue vomited a human head. Between fight or flight, Bryce was just seconds from taking the third option of..... faint. Head tilting to the side, another set of frantic blinks crossing her face, Bryce was struck dumb as the realization hit her: It was just a small girl in a cloak. "Yes to all of the above," said as she drags a sweaty palm down the front of her own face, giving her head a firm shake.

Lucky, lucky, lucky that the store was empty aside from herself and the poor girl that she had mistaken as a hungry creature from the depths of the forests. At least her temporarily thin skin had been saved. And for that, she was feeling rather charitable.
"Three for one special, two copper." As she spoke she put her palms flat on the counter top, forcing herself into a more solid stand. Sure, she was not the type to give hand outs in most cases, but she felt that it was owed. To cover for it she would put her tips from the tavern into the family till.

The familiar rumble of hunger hitting her ears, and not from the direction of her own knotted stomach, Bryce too laughed. "Sounds like ya've had a hard night o'ya own." After the scare of a life time, Bryce found a bit of sobriety finally. "Have a seat," She motioned to the bar stools that littered the face of the counter.

Anonymous

The eyes of the former blackberry creature widened, her mouth come open in shock. Two copper for three pastries? There was no way, no way that three of those lovely scented creations from the heart of hearts of an oven could be that plentiful and cheap. Since she last came did La'marri have a pastry boom? Were they now overpopulated with confectioneries and had to pan them out to unwitting travelers? Or maybe was it a reverse, the pastry people! Take one bit and they take root in your stomach and then, BWAH! Come bursting out!

Brynja in all honesty could care less if it were all of the above, oxen excretions tend to ruin ones appetite to the point where she hardly even thought about packing food. This has lead her many times to collapsing at the door of a storefront or house the minute she comes into town, but hey you never know something fun might come of it all. When you can provide all your own meals, doesn't that make you cut off from everyone else? Even if you can afford it sometimes it's good to be needy to remind you that we all are in some way.

"I'll take four copper's worth then! Want to split 'em?"
As fingers nimbly took an extra copper from her pouch and added it to the anti on the table, red eyes gaze to the girl in front of her. Slight muscles showing through; a small firmness draped in cotton. All of which was topped by the glint of purple hair. She sat slightly taller and leaner than Brynn, which drove a little pang of envy into her cushy heart. The shortness of the little blackberry girl had always sat hard in her, as much as she tried to ignore it, or tell herself that she'd outgrow it. It brought her back to the times when her parents would tease her endlessly, calling her a little Dvoraki child snuck into their household.

But eh, what does it matter in the end, height? As usual, passing any worry so quickly as though it were never born into her in the first place. Bryn shuffled her cloak out of the way, unclasping it to let a little air in. Pushing it back so as not to catch it under her, she scooted and sat happily at the barstool with a nod of thanks.  

"Nice hair! Ya dye it like that, or you use a charm? I dye mine sometimes but I can't ever get it that radiant!"
Words came out of her with little consideration that the hair may have been more of a curse than a blessing. In the end if it was, all you have to do is convince the person that it's an asset and there you go!
"An' me? Been on the road from Arca. When ya sit right behind a big cow for days the fragrance of twice shat grass gets t'ya a little! Can't eat for crap!"

Red colored lenses met with Tiger's eye, recognizing oh so well that glazed and blood shot look in them. Brynn couldn't help it as her cheeks and lips pulled up into a bright and wide smile, the kind of smile that looks like the sun is peering down from a cloudy day, and planning something horrible. Her cheeks flushed red, almost but not really drowning out the freckles that had been relocated in the shifting grounds of her face.

"Too much t' drink las' night? Hope somethin' fun came of it at least!"
A blunt statement if there ever was one. Red hair fell this way and that as she turned her head, running over the merchandise that was placed for sale. She was right, there were indeed small charms sold for all sorts of remedies; first aid, headaches, pains. Did they lack the ones for hangovers, Bryn thought in her usual busybody manner.

"They sell charms here looks like. Got any for hangovers?" Leaning in she whispered in the other girl's ear, so as not to be overheard by any that may kick her out and rob her precious pastries and company from her.

"Or ya not make 'em and not trust who does?"