Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When a thief kisses you, count your teeth. (Open!)

Started by Anonymous, May 24, 2007, 09:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

If I were an expensive, perhaps irreplaceable stealth-property charmed band...where would I be?

"I'd be in the damned trunk along with the rest of the cargo," Crendle responded to himself quietly, taking no note of what talking to oneself might imply. He'd done it for years, along with a few other peculiarities that weren't about to up and crawl away any time soon. The tall, wiry elf rifled through several leather packs of varying sizes and colors all contained in a large, dark brown trunk. He was practically radiating frustration.

There were upwards of a thousand possibilities concerning what could have happened to the valuable trinket, and none of them were improving Crendle's mood as they ran, one by one, through his head. In Zantaric, of all places, he had done well preventing the loss of cargo over the years. He had taken precautions - so many precautions, but when he had been distracted from his work, his guard was violated. Crendle blamed himself for being careless, but more so his memory for failing to remind him of the village's unpredictability.

Nevertheless, he had a reputation to uphold in the shady little village that housed a traveling network of corruption of amazing proportions and stamina. Losing a magical item, even as simple and seemingly unexceptional as a band of fabric with a small jewel attached, when it was due for departure and deliverance, was absolutely unacceptable. Therefore, Crendle was not in the highest of spirits as he turned his room in the inn above a familiar tavern upside down searching for the object. He had considered staying at his actual house before, but decided that disturbing things that were...best left alone for a mere night's stay was unecessary. It was not unusual for Crendle to avoid his origins like the plague.

Crendle pulled himself back from his thoughts, piercing crimson eyes darting about the cramped space as he paused, clawed fingers poised above the trunk, as if threatening it with further defilement. His gaze narrowed as it settled upon the open door from which he had just entered to discover his room in disarray. Well, less disarray than now, of course, but significantly more than when he had first left it.

He'd be damned if some little street rat with greedy fingers and no respect for privacy was going to interfere with his business going as usual, as planned, and as perfectly as always in the passing through his home. Pale, cross Crendle would even have welcomed foul play of a larger nature at this point, but suspected the more embarrassing and unfortunate possibility of run-of-the-mill, unorganized thievery attracted by the blue jewel that had adorned and enchanted the small leather band.

Mumbling to himself as he stood, he decided that it would be better to search the tavern below and then the surrounding area for any signs of suspicious activity. He laughed mirthlessly at his own thought, savoring the irony. Correction: suspicious behavior in relation to his own problem. He couldn't be consoled until he found the one item that had gone missing from his possession while he was seeking out the messenger that had left no more than a few minutes ago.

Crendle's mood was ambiguous and chaotic - a mixture for trouble. He felt ridiculous and furious at the same time, among other things, though he knew that this change of consistency had everything to do with the news from his sister, Crendle quickly dismissed the thought in order to see to the present. As long as he kept himself in check, only the source of his dilemma would receive the brunt of his emotions.

It was the principle of it, really. Petty thieves never endangered business unless the Dealer was incredibly careless, foolish, or a mixture of the two. Because of what was at stake, particularly due to the location of the commotion as well as a number of other tumbling factors, it would be safe to assume that the odd-looking elf was probably glaring daggers and fuming with a degree of intimidation even Crendle didn't normally take on while trudging purposefully down the hall then descending the stairs down into the tavern as if it were the pits of Hell.

The unidentified thief could not have gotten far with Crendle's speed, observance, and senses, as well as the time alone. Crendle was interested in both intentions and the item - but relief from this "cherry on top" trouble more than anything.

Anonymous

"Someone has to be the poor
who just works so hard but gets no more.
someone has to be the thief
throw into a world of disbelief.
Someone has to be the noble
but what's a noble with no noblitiy."

Ardea sang the little song off the top of her head as she skipped into the bar, her cheery nature shining threw every poor in her body. Suddenly she stopped completely forgetting where she was in the song before shrugging and singing some other random tune as she looked around, jumping slightly on her toes to see over a group of people in front of her.

What if she were taller? Ardea thought about it, but in retrospect she thought she'd look quite strange as a tall person... but then again she was imagining herself about 12 feet tall, and even giggled slightly at the silly notion before moving on. You see Ardea isn't dumb, actually she's quite intelligent. She just has the largest case of attention defficet dissorder you have ever seen in your life time, as well as an almost annoying cheery and niave desposition. Other than that her keen eye for detail is absolutely amazing, especially since she won't realize someone's standing in a room with her, but she'll notice if there's a centimeter of string hanging off of your clothing. Strange.... I know, but that's just who she is.

Ardea contined to slick around them a few eyes from the bar on her, but she didn't really care to think about it. She got a few stairs where ever she went and didn't really take anything to heart. Her short red hair and red leggings under a leather hide skirt that seemed to get attention with out her weating a shirt that showed enough clevage to get any man to stare. As odd as it may seem despite her close she was the pinicle of niave innocence and would scream 'Ew! Boy cooties!' if anyone tried to kiss her.

So she was just about to the desk to ask for a room when she saw a disgruntled looking man come down the stairs in search of something. Completely forgetting about her first thought she decided to walk over to the man. Unfortunatly she didn't notice the chair in her way and therefor tripped over said chair falling right into the poor guys lap.

"Hi! I'm Ardea! Sorry I kind of fell on you, but you know how those darned chairs can be. I swear they have legs of thier own."

She laughed lightly before waiting for a reply, not at all thinking about perhaps getting off of him first. Instead her thoughts drifted back to getting a room and she wondered how much it costed... and how much money she brought, but she honestly couldn't remember. So instead she sat up, still on top of him, and took her pack off looking threw it and began counting coins.

OOC: Sorry it's really short and probably has about a thousand grammatical and spelling errors, but I'm at my grandmothers and am pressed for time. I just had to reply to this topic though. I thought that the pair of them would be too amusing together.

Anonymous

Stepping, or rather, being thrust from, his revelry of impending doom and all that destructive jazz, Crendle found himself sprawled on the floor, thankfully landing upright, with a springy little red-haired thing sitting atop him, counting coins. It took the elf a moment to comprehend the situation as he cooled down into a strange sort of state of suppressed frustration and rage. He couldn't bring himself to shout at the girl casually situated in his lap, or wipe the positively, helplessly confused expression from his face; the current scene was just too bizarre.

Instead of screaming or throwing her from his personal space, Crendle pointed a few fingers at her, doing a double take and curving them into talon-like positions (he often had restless limbs, particularly his long, knife-nailed fingers) above the girl. He closed his hanging jaw, relaxed his shoulders, and seemed utterly resigned at the foot of the stairs before rolling his scarlet eyes to the wooden beams supporting the roof of the old tavern and whispering to himself in a raspy voice, "How do they find me?"

The peculiar pair had attracted much attention. The tavern had gone mostly silent when the girl had collided with Crendle, before it gradually grew louder once more - partly with jokes and indirect passes at the girl considering the suggestive nature of things, partly with the previous conversations, and partly with disappointment that an even larger scene hadn't been created by a certain formerly fuming elf. Not that he wasn't still seething, of course, but even Crendle was unsure of how to handle his mixed feelings at the moment with such a weird chain of events coming into play.

Instead, he placed his hands on the girl's waist, lifted her with little effort as he stood and replaced her on her feet as she continued rifling through her person for coins or somesuch. He wasn't exactly gentle with the girl, considering his mood, but he had at least avoided breaking her soft, feminine skin (dually noted, even under said circumstances) with his claws.

At this point, Crendle took a quick but prying look over her form, eyes narrowed suspiciously. He leaned down to her, being of a rather intimidating, exceptional height to anyone with sense, which he was beginning to think was decidedly not her, until his face was only a few inches from hers and he was practically eye level. Crendle scowled slightly, his sharp, inhuman teeth baring just visibly. His tone as he spoke was a low and quiet one that, despite its volume, took on a definitive demanding air. It was a simple phrase, but the way he hissed his words could have sent shivers down any spine that knew what was good for it. "What do you think you're doing, doll?"

Chances were, this was an awfully ditzy spine.

Anonymous

((Room for one more? ^-^ If not, I'll see my way out.))

The Siblings made their way to the tavern, kamas and vermillion hidden from sight. It was an odd thing--not many recognized them without their weaponry, so if they were to just keep the items from sight, they'd be in the clear. Odd.

Satu looked up at her Brother and poked his shoulder. "You can take the hood off now, E."

Enno, the deadlier sibling of the two, took his hood off to reveal a beautifully crafted face with an angular chin, red hair, and startlingly green eyes. He smiled a toothy grin. "How's that?"

"Perfect. Now w--" They stopped at the sight of Crendle. They had seen him before. If they had a few words for one another, Satu couldn't remember. Nevertheless, he made her nervous. He could know what they looked like if he'd seen them during their last raid...

Being Carpathians, her worries covered Enno's mind like a ribbon of satin covered in cockroaches. Enno winced and put a slender, calloused hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry; I've got my eye on him."

They made their way to the bar and ordered two ales. As they waited, they swiveled their chairs around to watch Crendle--not necessarily the girl who he had just lifted from his lap--and take in his characteristics. He didn't look right--there was just something off about him.

Satu placed a few strands of brown hair behind her ear, watching with lovely blue eyes, an arched brow accompanying them. "An odd couple, wouldn't you say, Brother?"

Enno merely nodded.

Anonymous

Ardea felt herself being lifted off of him but took no notice as she gleefully bounced up and down for a second finally finding her coin purse in her bag. She only turned her head up to look at him when he asked her what she was doing.

"Well I believe I was looking for my coins... but I could be wrong."

She smiled and shoved her bag into his arms simply asking, "Could you hold this please?"

Then she began to take her coins out of her purse and count them trusting in Crendle's better nature. It was odd how many times this worked for her. People were usually so shocked by her actions that they couldn't bear to actually do her wrong, and even if they did she would forgive them and forget about it in a matter of seconds. Ardea just wasn't one to dote on the past... or much of anything really.

By this time she had finished counting and muttered, "Twelve" to herself. Then she put the coins back in the coin purse and held her hand out for Crendle to, hopefully, return the bag,

"Thank you! Do you know how much a room costs here? Or anywhere near here really.... I'm not picky about it."

Her smile was radiant, warm and trusting. Without a care in the world. All of the evil going on around her couldn't touch little innocent Ardea and it made her quite the strange creature as she stood in front of Crendle with all the confidence in the world that he would hand her bag back.

Anonymous

"I'm not the Innkeeper here, sunshine. Unless you're willing to share space with me, which would be the economic alternative of course," he added with a small smirk that accentuated the purposeful fake overtone in his suggestion perfectly before slipping back into a mild sneer, "Ask him yourse-" Crendle stopped abruptly, in the middle of handing back the girl's bag in a manner that suggested it was full of poisonous insects or perhaps an infected corpse and gesturing toward a stout man behind the bar of the tavern's counter speaking with the tender in conspiratorial tones, most likely about those entering and exiting from the entrance and staircase.

He had interrupted his own thought because, while glancing about the room (or rather glaring around the room with the intention of shutting a few wandering eyes and tongues up) he had spotted the two fidgety characters standing across the room and had recognized them. Not only this, but he had caught the shorter of the pair - the pretty young woman, peering at him with apparent nervousness. Crendle seldom forgot faces.

A sickeningly satisfied grin that would make babies cry and milk curdle slowly creeped its way across Crendle's thin, pale lips as he locked his gaze on the girl. Due to the wonder of peripheral vision, he had already assessed the risk involved with approaching the thieves. Crendle hadn't seen any unconcealed weapons, but the man might prove a small challenge.

No matter, though. Without thinking, Crendle slung the strap of the girl's bag over his back and, toothy grin still playing at the corners of his mouth, he turned from Ardea and sauntered toward the two. His pace was easy, after all, he didn't want to cause a scene just yet. Not in the company of so many others.

He still had his traveling cloak on, practically soaked from the rain and mud of half an hour past. Crendle reached his free hand into his cloak, placing it within an inside pocket casually. It wouldn't have looked odd to anyone who didn't suspect him. He was busy suspecting others. They appeared to have just entered, one part of him reasoned as he approached, but the other won over in arguing that they were the only recognizable thieves present that had moved since his return.

That almost sinister smile was resistant of any background distractions as Crendle stopped no more than an arm's length from the girl. His eyes raked over her before rising to get a look at her accomplice. "Damndest thing seeing you two here just as I discovered a valuable loss of cargo," he said in a syrupy voice, pausing to turn his gaze down to the girl once more before continuing, taking care to keep alert of the man's movements in the meanwhile. "I'm not sure we've been properly introduced...My name is Crendle." He silently shifted the bag to be slung over his shoulder across his chest to free up the hand that didn't rest inside his cloak (subconsciously, he had noted that he wasn't done dealing with little miss unicorns and rainbows over there). Crendle offered his hand for the girl to shake, claws gingerly extended from one another in an oddly friendly gesture, bending very slightly to coordinate with her height.

Anonymous

Satu had watched the woman and almost died of laughter--how naiive was she, anyhow? Enno noticed this and smiled as well. They'd come into contact with those types of women before while they were raiding houses--ditzy ones, they were. Satu quietly prayed that the woman wouldn't have children like that before taking another drink of her ale.

Then her eyes locked with...its. The hair on the back of her neck stood on end and her eyes dilated automatically. He knew. And he knew that she knew. But what about Enno? He had been hidded underneath his shawl the entire tiime--not many knew what his face looked like unless they were about to die at his hand. Enno glanced over at Satu. "What?"

"Ayai." (Pronounced ah-yay) Ayai meant "look" in their language. No, it wasn't an official language, it was a code she and her brother created to warn each other in advance without the hassle of others getting wind of what they were saying. Enno watched as the man sidled forward, shouldering the woman's bag all the while. He forced back a laugh. Satu leaned away from him, towards the counter that sat behind her. She looked him up and down. "Firstly, do you know that bag's not yours? Second, why are you so close to me. Third..." She made sure she said it loud enough for the entire tavern to hear. "...are you suggesting that a little flower like myself stole your cargo? By the looks of you, I'd say it didn't belong to you, either." The bar began laughing, except Enno. Enno's eyes were locked on something else.

Then...

Ah. A name to go with a horrible face. She glanced warily at him before lifting a slender hand to place in Crendle's. Without turning about on his barstool, Enno set his cup down with a mellow ca-loomp. Satu froze and began analyzing the situation before her as if she were making a move in a game of chess. Something was wrong, is what that sound Enno made meant. But what? Maybe...

...Crendle's hands. Pulling her hand back quickly, she put it in her hair and nodded once, firmly. She wasn't going to be too friendly with him. She crossed her legs, kicking him back as she did so. "Pardon. You're a little too close for my tastes, old man."

Enno stared at his little sister, his green eyes glinting a warning. "Liagano." Liagano meant "watch it".

"What? Can't I call him that?" She leaned forward again and held onto the edge of the barstool, arching a brow. On her arms were trumpet sleeves, a very delicate-looking and unique garment that not too many people wore.

Yes, he may notice the sleeves. But...what the hell. She was the Specter of Silence, after all. And her brother the Pendulum. What could this nobody do?

Anonymous

'I'm not the Innkeeper here, sunshine. Unless you're willing to share space with me, which would be the economic alternative of course.'

Ardea smiled at the suggestion from Crendle thinking him sweet for offering, but was about to politely refuse until he began walking away with her bag and muttered to herself,

"Well if you're really that determined..."

Then she skipped, literally, behind him and towards the other two silently watching as words were past back and forth. She noted that the kind tones of thier voices were used with harsher body language as she looked over the three her face contorted into a cute sort of confused pout. She looked over thier close when she noticed that Satu's clothes had a loose thread in them and found it imperitive that she was told so.

"Miss. You have a loose string on your clothing... right there..."

Her voice sounded oddly cheery beside all of the malace between the two newcomers and Crendle. So too not allow an awkward silence Ardea held her hand out to the girl and introduced herself properly,

"Hi! I'm Ardea. Sorry I didn't introduce myself before. Silly me it slipped my mind."

Ardea just shrugged and continued smiling semingly completely oblivious to the situation, and although she didn't understand the full content yet she understood enough to know that this could get messy and decided to try and keep things in a lighter mood.

Anonymous

Crendle had, at this point, blocked out any distractions or outside voices. He was unaffected by the laughter and barely flinched when he felt her kick him back, though no more than a few inches. In fact, disturbingly, his grin seemed to deepen. However, his countenance took on a much heavier, darker appearance.

"Your companion here is a smart fellow. You see, I'm in a very nasty mood, little girl, and you stink of thievery. Since you've already seemed to have caught on to my suggestion, I wonder why you hesitate to answer to it." His question was biting, almost mocking in its icy inflection. Today was not a good day to test Morgan Crendle, or to question him. The most personally valuable item in his cargo had gone missing. Though it wasn't the most expensive of the load, it was the only in this ordinary shipment that Crendle actually could claim direct ownership to. It was a meant to be received as a present, on top of that, once he'd completed his stay in Necromantia after this.

Just as he finished, his concentration and process of boring holes through Satu's head was broken by a familiarly and sickeningly cheerful voice.

"Miss. You have a loose string on your clothing... right there..."

Crendle blinked, his expression wavering for a moment as he looked to Satu's clothing. He could now assume that they were well-off enough to indicate at least a reasonable amount of experience. He knew he'd seen them before, however. Raids catered to all kinds of thieves. However, they weren't of a high enough class to deter Crendle's suspicions, though he did take this into consideration. He didn't think anything of social class, if it was due to different reasons. The girl's condescending attitude would do nothing but exacerbate the situation, especially considering the fact that Crendle could pick apart the pair's criminal activities and seek out their identities if he took time to gather the right sources. Crendle knew many, many people.

On a similar note, Crendle was no murderer, but he wasn't exactly chivalrous. He would have no qualms with striking the girl if she continued to insult him, if only he weren't wary of the man that accompanied her. Opting to avoid such confrontation, he looked to the more sensible of the two and pointedly turned his back to Satu - figuratively and only partially physically, though he did turn his body and eyes from the young woman, leaving her to converse with Ardea. Crendle was now incredibly thankful for Ardea's presence, if only to ease his eyes with her comeliness, which admittedly would be very distracting under different circumstances, and to push Satu out of sight and mind. He made a mental note to repay his attractive, oblivious accomplice later.

"Crendle," he reintroduced himself to the man, holding out a hand. He was seriously addressing the other half now, his expression controlled and his features calm. When he wasn't scowling or grinning like an ill-minded Cheshire cat, Crendle was actually quite handsome, albeit very strange-looking. It would be a welcomed change to both the company and his temper. "I'm guessing you won't evade my simple question," he said gruffly but carefully. Sure, it was more of an interrogation, but at least Crendle was trying to guard his sentiments now.

Anonymous

At Crendel's accusation, she threw back her cute little head and laughed. "So do you, old man!" She interrupted. At this, Enno gulped down the rest of his ale and tensed. Didn't Satu know she was digging her own grave?! Why wasn't she passionate towards his hating killing?! This would only mean that he'd have to kill Crendle here right on the spot!

And why was that girl standing there?!

Blinking, Satu looked at the ditz. "String?" Lifting each arm with a slightly finicky air, she began looking for the loose string. She smiled and found it near her collar. "Oh! There it is!" She gingerly pulled it off and blew it in Crendle's direction. "Here. Be a dear--if, that is, you even know what a dear is--and take out the trash. Hello, sweetheart. The name's Bella." What a great lie! Satu took Ardea's hand with a grace and beauty unlike a human's, but shook it firmly. Her hands are as creamy as mine! "A pleasure to meet you. Are you and...this man...courting?"

Enno nearly lost his drink. However, he managed to swallow it back at the sight of Crendle. Why not take the chance? He took Crendle's hand and squeezed firmly. "I assure you, sir, nothing of yours has been taken."That I'm going to tell you about. He smiled brightly, flashing his pearly whites.

Satu heard his thought and smiled ever so slightly, adding to her looks. She brushed her brown locks out of her hair and looked Ardea over up and down, terrifyingly blue eyes flashing. Hm. Not bad, but...not as pretty as Satu, no doubt. And not as smart, either.

Good thing, too. Crendle's little buffer could suddenly become Satu's and Enno's buffer if they tried. No, not tried hard enough...just, heh, tried. "Say," Satu said, "Ardea. I heard you from over there. You need a place to stay, yes? Or am I getting that mixed up with something else?"

Anonymous

"Courting? Ew no. Boy cooties!"

The funniest thing about that was that Ardea wasn't kidding. She was being 100 percent Ardea with her oblivious nature as everyone around her planed on using her for something or another. So she answered without a single thought to Satu's intentions,

"Yea I do! He offered to though...."

Ardea trailed off listening to the two guys conversation and looking around the room quickly wondering to herself where Kennith was. Still she let the thought go reasoning that he would be perfectly fine. Speaking... or well more of thinking of fine things she wondered where her brother could have been now. She hadn't seen him since she got away from fluffy or Sybrant to be correct. Her brother was all in all from Ardea's point of view a very shiny person, maybe a little beat up and has an overlayer of tarnish but he was shiny when it came down to it.

Ardea always described people as shiny just as well as she described feelings with colors. She looked at the world a different way from someone else. It wasn't wrong... just a bit crooked compared to the rest. Still she brought out the best in some people that you thought didn't have a best anything. She was just such an ignorantly happy person that after a while it seemed to spread. Unfortunatly for Ardea it seemed that her bubbly personality wouldn't get her far with this bunch.

Anonymous

Crendle stared blankly at Enno. The faintest remainder of his former grin resurfaced at the corner of his mouth as the muscles in his neck tensed. He was lying. Crendle could practically taste it in the air. Over the course of Crendle's lifetime, he had heard lies of all kinds: spectacular, obvious, unecessary, despicable, well-intentioned, strictly of self-preservation, and mundane. They occasionally fooled him, but it was an even rarer occurrence that they escaped his knowledge when delivered by the sorts of shady individuals who Crendle had more experience with than was probably healthy. If you look hard enough at some one, you'll never be able to read their mind - but you might be able to discover their intentions. There were two types of people that, as a rule, Crendle never took their word as truth without good cause: thieves...and writers.

Crendle would not be severing ties with the pair for long. Vendettas were well-served when you were in the kind of mood he was, and well worth pursuing. At any other time, Crendle definitely wouldn't have even thought this far into it. He would simply have reclaimed the item by force. On this day, however, he readily made exception. Fortunately, the item which had been stolen was easily replaceable - but the magic it was enchanted with, unfortunately, not so easily performed twice. He would have to seek out an old friend. To kill two birds with one stone, Crendle supposed he might even ask the disgruntled sage a favor dealing with these fresh new enemies. The intense layering of stealth charms on the banded trinket took a massive amount of magical stamina due to the longevity of the enchantment and its unusually powerful resistance to outside interference and counterspells. For these reasons, Crendle could only ask an experienced magic-user whom he held in the highest confidences to instill the enchantment.

He would replace the item himself, perhaps even improve it, and take revenge upon. There was no riskless hope of retrieving it by force, Crendle reasoned, and he would rather not dirty his hands with dealing the punishment. He had more pressing matters to attend to now that his entire travel have been disrupted. Funny how such a small, seemingly insignificant twist can help turn an entire week upside down. The best thing about time, Crendle decided, was that it was constantly taking him farther and farther away from the last few hours he had spent contacting and receiving news from his sister.

Crendle took a moment to breathe, relaxing his tensed body and glancing about the room dispassionately, relieved of that seemingly infinite moment of pure, seething contempt. "Don't you find that regret comes easily only after you're already knee deep in your own shit?" Crendle asked as his gaze fell once more on the , obviously rhetorically, in a hushed tone so that only Enno would hear the colorful comment, as casually as if he were remarking about the weather or the evening's meal.

He silently moved back to his former stance, his eyes lingering upon the other man before welcoming the sight of Ardea who was still chattering bubbily to the elegant little rat at the bar. Crendle tapped her shoulder lightly and rolled the bag around off his back, offering it back in open arms. "Ardea, was it? Let me buy you a drink and steal you from Bella here before she offers something I'd say I'm more obligated to provide you for the trouble." A malicious glimpse was directed toward Satu, then fading into a pleasant, almost charming expression of beckoning as Crendle's attention shifted back to Ardea.

Anonymous

Enno's flashy smile twinkled at Crendle's question, but said nothing. Instead, his mind swept over Crendle's, piercing it with a blinding light. Enno chuckled and let go of Crendle's hand and, with one fluid movement, placed his other hand underneath his shawl. "Bella." Satu glanced over at him and gave him a stern look. Enno didn't seem to mind. "Shall I?"

"No, you shall not." At Crendle's supposedly rude comment and looked over at Ardea with a fraudulent fear. "Don't go with him! Hear that? He's going to get you drunk and have his way with you. Besides--if you don't come and stay with me..." Satu looked at her fingernails cooly, picking at them a little. "...you won't get to see my pretty shinies."

Gotcha.

Enno, however, had risen to his feet. Enough was enough. "Bella, we're leaving."

"What? Why?"

Enno smiled and turned a sharp eye to Crendle. "I'm tired of looking at this little goblin and his little arm candy. Too typical if you ask me--a nice, pretty little girl taken for granted by such an ugly bastard as him."

Satu sent a sharp slap of pain through Enno's mind--it barely phased him. "Shh! That's not nice. Only I can say things like that if I see it fit." Satu stood as well and curtsied to the two of them. "Pardon him--he's just a little tippy. Now, if you'll excuse us, we'll be off...counting our shinies." Go on, she dared Crendle. She was smiling quite wickedly, but to any woman, it would seem like a sweet smile. Try me. Have you ever dealt with the Specter of Silence before? I doubt you'll mess with me and live, boy. Go on. I triple dog dare ya to try something.

Anonymous

Crendle quietly handed Ardea her bag and folded his arms over his chest comfortably, leaning back against the bar, a new mood overtaking him. Crendle's expression at this point was not one that would satisfy the two thieves. It was slightly incredulous - a mixture of realization and, thankfully, relief. Now that his anger had had its run and was washed over, he could better control his actions, whereas otherwise they might have been tempted by his temper. Crendle had been surprised that the two were now both insulting him. He felt he had overestimated them. It was a bit disappointing when things turned out like this, even with the less-than-reputable class of thieves. Crendle hadn't recognized the two specifically for their exploits, but it was unlikely that he would have changed his opinion had he known. After all, he'd expected at least one of them to remain level-headed enough not to spout indignities. On top of that, the girl just didn't know when to quit, though he'd been accused of and called worse things.

Physical confrontation had been spared for the evening thus far. Crendle intended to keep it that way, especially since his outlook had so drastically improved. It felt as if the weight of the world had been lifted off his shoulders, even if he was aware of the weight's impending return. A sweet moment of contentedness with the fact that these two eyesores were leaving, even if it was with his few-of-a-kind hard-earned trinket, was something he was glad to allow himself. Crendle always avoided fights if he could help it. He didn't like to get his hands dirty in the literal sense.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

"Welcome to it. After all, my problem with you two can't be helped. You can fix ignorance and obliviousness - but you can't fix stupid." You can only punish it when it blunders into your path, he thought. Crendle might have sounded as if he were simply degrading them, but Crendle's words did make sense, considering the leisurely approaching plot he'd offhandedly thought up upon becoming convinced that they were the culprits of his former situation. Crendle laughed lightly - it was a genuine, even airy sort of laughter. He shook his head a bit and turned his back to them to face the bar, ordering a drink.

"My offer is still open, Ardea, but I won't be shattered if you're afraid to accept. I just hope good company knows bad company when she sees it." Crendle lifted his drink from the bar, taking a seat where the others were taking their leave, and reached from within the long, dark coat he wore. He slid a few coins the tender's way once he had produced them from a concealed pocket. As far as Crendle was concerned, things were going his way again.

Anonymous

Satu opened her mouth and quickly shut it, biting her lip in the process. Stupid?! She wasn't stupid! Not by a longshot! Her blue eyes grew large and offended while Enno's hand reached deeper into his shawl. Satu didn't have to look back to notice this. "Stop it, Brother."

"I did nothing...yet."

"Well, we need to go anyway. The bartender--"

"--MY MONEY!"

Quickly, Satu and Enno turned about to face Crendle and the bartender. Enno threw his shawl over his head, an ominous shadow shielding his face. From underneath it, his vermillion--a long, curved, weighted blade on an even longer steel chain--fell to the wooden floor with a clunk. Satu smiled, pulling her two kamas from underneath her brother's shawl with ease. She twirled them in her hands, doing a little dance. As she moved one foot in front of and behind the other, jingles could be heard. "Well, thank you, my dear geese. It's been a pleasure doing business with all of you."

"The Specter!" One bargoer said.

Others called out "get her!" or "grab the tall one!" as they made for the door. They knew the authorities may have been alerted already and parted right before they reached the door, hopping out the windows instead. After a few moments of the authorities shouting and running about, soft footsteps could be heard on the roof. The Specter of Silence and The Pendulum had taken their leave.

The Blade Siblings had officially left the building.

((Sorry. I just wanted them to steal something. XD If that ruins everything, let me know and I'll change it.))

Anonymous

'My offer is still open, Ardea, but I won't be shattered if you're afraid to accept. I just hope good company knows bad company when she sees it.'

She smiled at him sweetly before answering in her normal bright sunshine voice, "I don't think any of you are bad company, but you did offer first so It's only right that I go with you. I'm sorry Bella. You seem like a very shiny person maybe a bit dark purple on some days but shiny none the less."

Then everything blew out of control as they stole some money and began running out the door. Ardea didn't want to harm anyone but out of instinct she quickly muttered some words in the crackling fire tongue until a ball of flame was gripped in each hand. She frowned at the door which they left from looking honestly a tad bit sad.

"Well that was offly rude of them...."

After shrugging her shoulders Ardea began to mutter some more of the language she'd been born with the ability to speak the fireball in her left hand dissapeared slowly as the other shapped into a little tiger everything about the miniture correct, well except the being made out of fire part. His movement were fluid as he chased the little butterfly only a cub. He crouched down and pounced catching the butterfly and in that instant turning into a little dragon that flew just apove the palm of her hand only about half the size of it. Both images were small seeing as it would take a tramedous amount of power to make them life size. She'd only done that twice before. Once with grand results, and once with horrible one's so she thought it would be better if she kept the size to a minimum.

The dragon flew high before taking a dive into her hand that now held a lake of water. Once the little dragon touched the firey lake he seemed to push it back into the palm of her hand and she smiled at Crendle asking, "Where is our room?!"

Anonymous

"Well that was awfully rude of them..."

"They're thieves, it's what they do. Apparently they have some notoriety around here as well..." Crendle replied sedately without missing a beat. He had been intensely focused on his drink during the brief panic. The tender had stormed after the two along with another worker who had just ascended from the storage room, leaving the bar open. Many of the patrons had resigned to helping themselves freely.

Despite his own more than questionable morality, Crendle held a special sort of disdain for thieves of any class. He believed the act necessary to achieve some means, of course, but it wasn't a practice he would dedicate his life to, or imagine why any decent company would. It was always best to assume the worst in their company.

Crendle glanced over at Ardea and blinked a few times at her little fire display, appearing genuinely interested in the manner that children do for a moment, then lifting his gaze to the woman. Such expressions were relatively rare in occurrence and looked incredibly out of place when they did. He returned her smile with one of his own.

"Upstairs and third door on the left. But I'll have to ask you to not enter before me. I have some...cleaning up to do because of this ordeal." Ardea seemed harmless, but the hints of power she gave were reason enough for Crendle to be wary. Crendle was always wary, after all.

"Where're you from, Ardea?" She was clearly not from Zantaric, judging by both her demeanor and the obvious need of a room to stay for the night. Frankly, Crendle was curious.

Anonymous

"Got them."

"Good. Now get in here." The Pendulum wiped off his blade before slipping into the quiet room's window. His sister was crouched down, making sure there were no people. "The coast looks clear."

The Pendlum laughed softly, something he didn't do all that often. "Then why are you still crouching?"

"Something's got me on edge. Maybe it's this room." She stood and walked about the room, bright blue eyes darting from one corner of the room to the other. "Maybe there's something nice in here..."

The Pendulum threw back his still-covered head and groaned. "Ah, come off it, Sa-Sa. You got what we originally wanted. Now let's go."

Satu arched a brow at him, looking over her narrow shoulder. "You know I can't pass up an opportunity. Watch the door." She slipped into a bedroom, quietly moving things out of the way and taking little coin pieces here and there.

Enno sighed and stood in a corner where he had a good view of the door. If the door happened to open, it would cover him up completely. That is, if it didn't bounce back because the intruder threw the door open or something...

Anonymous

'Where're you from, Ardea?'

The one sentence that hit home, and unfortunatly for her she wasn't the best at hiding things as her face visibly saddened as she frowned her lips in a slight pout and her face no longer quite beaming, but she soon recovered and her smile was back on although she wasn't quite as cheery as before,

"Originally some small village of no importance. But since I was 6 I've lived most everywhere. I kind of wander, the place I lived longest has been in the Draconi forest with my brother and Fluffy, but that was just a very bad place..... so now I'm here on one of my adventures...."

Her saddness however didn't last long as she saw the most beautiful puppy walk in at the side of a burly looking traveler. She walked right up to the large animal her bright and sun shiny desposition sparkling in her eyes and almost glowing from her skin as she pet the animal that seemed twice as big as her as she crouched at it's side the man looking extreamly purplexed as to why the dog let her near it.

"You're such a pretty puppy!... Such a good good doggy!"