Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

the hunger [open]

Started by Tally, May 29, 2007, 11:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

The first thing Zion notices when he comes out of itâ€"the first thing he always noticesâ€"is the sharp, metallic smell of blood.

It takes a few moments for his mind to orient itself. He blinks at the corpse, dazed, as his higher cognitive abilities reassert themselves, reminding him where he is, what he's done. It comes back to him in pieces.

La'marri, night.

Deep in the darkest alleys he could find.

And this unfortunate drifter who stumbled upon him at the wrong time.

Grimacing, he wipes a hand on his pant leg as if it would do some good. It's all over him. His clothes, his face. Bits of flesh still stuck in his teeth. He listens. If the man screamed someone may be coming to investigate and he can't be caught like this. But the alleys are silent and still. For now.

Where to now? He chose La'marri for its lack of an organized law force, but this isn't Zantaric. If enough people realize what he's done, what he will continue to do, they will come after him. Before he stands he spares a good long look for the man he devoured. Most of the face is gone and the brain case busted open and cleaned out, but he always tries to give them a few remorseful thoughts, a prayer for their departing souls, anything to show the gods his regret and make it easier to live with himself afterward.

As he edges to the corner of the alley and peers down the next street, he wipes his mouth on a clean part of his sleeve. First thing he needs is water to clean the blood from him, then some fresh clothes.

Anonymous

A low hum rose steadily, echoing through the alleyways as its source sauntered down an open lane. She had been pointedly avoiding the narrower, darker, and more suspicious corners and alleys for a while now, but was beginning to suspect that she might have...misplaced herself.

"Lost," she mumbled aloud, correcting herself. She glanced from corner to corner and from every opening readily available to her, counting in her head and holding one hand out to remind her of her left side, as if she were afraid all possible knowledge of navigation could flee from her at any second. She continued to hum the lullaby tune, a bit louder now to block out any negative droning that might lead her thoughts down a path that would only make her paranoid.

A heavy leather satchel was slung over her back, jingling slightly as the vast number of tiny, oddly colored glass bottles and tubes inside shuffled against one another. Inside the bag was also her uncle's list, which he had given to her rolled up and sealed to be delivered to a familiar friend of his who dealt in the arts himself.

'Be careful, will you, Isy,' her uncle's words echoed in her mind, as if off the walls. Her humming grew a little louder as the young woman approached a rather seedy looking series of alleyway openings connected to the street - to her left, she reminded herself. Her uncle's warnings, when he remembered to give them, were usually moot, considering that they were usually following a request like this one. After all, he was the one sending her out for so-called 'emergency' errands during mildly obscene hours of the night while he feverishly worked on his new cast and studied himself to death in the rat's nest of a workroom that was tucked away in the back of their home. Isolde was evidently not as sure of the way back to said new home than she had previously thought, especially when the directions to the dealer's home had been lost in a disastrous puddle incident. Her clothes were still slightly damp.

The short stave strapped securely to the bag seemed to grow heavier as she paused and twisted a bit to open up the bag, then rifling through it curiously before taking out one of the little bottles. She twirled it in between her fingers as she resumed her trek. She mentally mapped out her next course, though it was unfortunate that she couldn't judge the direction of any main streets due to the severe silence of the night. It was a particular brand of silence that churned the mage's stomach, so one navigationally-challenged Isolde Caden was diverting her own attention so that she wouldn't have to dwell on her admitted 'misplacement' and focus on taking action and keeping movement instead.

Isolde held the bottle up on its side, its stained glass form casting a thin, crimson shadow over the young woman's dark blue eyes. It was one of the larger bottles, tube-like but fairly tall and thick, filled with a dark red liquid which Isolde couldn't identify by her knowledge of magical elements and ingredients' properties.

As she admired the peculiar contents, Isolde rounded a corner and, shortly after, tripped over a lumpy mass of something-or-other, then gracelessly falling forward and ramming into the back of some one. The bottle slipped from her hand and shattered on the ground, the dark liquid spattering about and making blood-like flecks on her clothing. Isolde cursed under her breath and scrambled to her feet, re-situating the luckily unharmed bag across her shoulder. She took a look over her shoulder at what she had tripped over, but was unable to make out the shadowed mass because her eyes were not completely adjusted to the profound darkness of this particular alleyway, created by the thin void between two buildings which seemed to shrug toward one another, blocking the trickle of moonlight which might otherwise have illuminated her path.

Isolde brushed the thought off quickly and turned toward the stranger she had crashed so tactlessly into. "Sorry, I didn't see you there. Oh..." She squinted and allowed her sight to adjust, then catching sight of the blood on the other's clothing. Fortunately, her uncle hadn't been foolish enough to entrust any reactionary destructive items to her. If he had, it would have been apparent by now.

"It looks like some of the elixir got on you, too. Lucky it wasn't reactive," she laughed briefly with little mirth, reaching back to take her staff in hand. Isolde waved her hand over the large crystal at the staff's head which was held in place by what appeared to be a few roots coiling around it as well as the length of the staff. The crystal glowed dimly in response, illuminating her face as well as the stranger's.

"I think I can help you with it if I can find my way ba- gods, it's all over your face, too. You may have to come with me just in case it has some effect - I'm not sure of its magical properties. Oh, sorry, I'm Isolde," she apologized for about the third time, extending her hand before pausing and retracting it, laughing airily once more as she noticed that even more of what she assumed to be the tonic had gotten on the stranger's hands.

Tally

His first instinct was to bolt, but he's never been one given to thoughtless panic, even when caught off guard like this.  He'd actually been surprised in the past at what he could talk himself out of.  So he took a deep breath to calm his nerves and glanced behind him before turning.

His eyes were already adjusted to the dark, and he made her out quite clearly. She was still squinting at him, trying to see, so he took the extra moment that gave him to look her over, attempt to judge just what he was dealing with here and how much trouble he might be in.  If nothing else he had faith in his ability to get out of there fast if things turned sour.  If she noticed the body behind her, for instance.

"Elixir…on me?  What elixir?"  He hadn't even noticed.  But yes, shards of glass around his feet caught what little light there was and winked back up at him.  He pressed the toe of one boot upon them and listened to them crunch.

A dim light flared to life and he threw a hand up to shield his eyes then brought it right back down again as he recalled that it was still stained from his feeding.  Now he was the one squinting and blinking as his eyes readjusted to the sudden light source.

Ah, so she mistook the blood for whatever she had spilled on him. "Think nothing of it.  I should have been paying more attention myself."  He has to resist the urge to glance at the corpse behind her, lest he draw attention to it. Best to just get both of them out of there, so he nodded and said, "Yes, if you think that's best.  Where shall we go? And if you don't mind me asking, why are you out alone at this time of night?"

He backed up a few paces down the alley to get her moving and removed his jacket, revealing a mostly clean white shirt beneath. It was one of the tricks he'd had to learn to get by.  He'd put on outer clothes before the hunger came on him and shed them later.  It got rid of most of the blood on him, and he could wipe his face and his hands on the inside of the jacket before tossing it aside.

He went through <I>so</I> many jackets that way. It was such a pain to find money to buy a new one every few days.

Anonymous

Isolde stepped forward to lead the way by a small margin, holding the short staff in front of herself like a torch to give a little light to their path, noting gladly that they'd stumbled upon one of the main streets.

"Oh, I'm out running these weird little errands for my uncle," the girl responded, lifting up her arm a bit to display the jingling pack, "He means well, but ends up shooing me off on these little quests at the most godless hours of the night. On the bright side, I haven't run into any trouble yet - just you...Literally," she added as an afterthought, rolling her eyes and shrugging her shoulders lightly. Isolde took a brief moment of silence to eye the stranger every few seconds. She looked at him as if expecting him to explode or burst out in song. She was unsure of the affects the tonic might have, and though it was probably harmless Isolde didn't really like the odds. Luck had favored her in stumbling across the street once more, so the scales were unbalanced again.

"What did you say your name was?" She asked absent-mindedly, uncertain whether he had said or not. Isolde couldn't really blame him if he hadn't responded to her namesake offering immediately, covered in red who-knows-what and blinded temporarily.

Isolde made a right turn as they entered out into the street. It was still as eerily quiet as before, but their voices had managed to mask the awkwardness of such a lifeless lack of sound. A few mere embers of light could be seen in a stray window here and there, but no activity was evident. The thing was, nights in La'marri were usually like this. Isolde still hadn't gotten used to it. She imagined she never would. Connlaoth's nights had been downright disruptive at times, and when they weren't - the silence was so brimming with tension that the air was practically palpable. Was there never a happy medium?

Tally

Before they turned onto the main street, he wiped his face one last time on his jacket then tossed it behind him, leaving it for whoever happened to discover the body tomorrow.  That just left the stains on his pants, hands, and face, and if anyone stopped them between here and wherever it was they were going, he could explain all of those away as the elixir that Isolde spilled on him.  So hopefully he was in the clear for this one.

The street looked unfamiliar, but then he hadn't been in the village that long and half the time he'd been in a feeding rage.  What memories he kept from his frenzies were blurred and fragmented, barely memories at all and more like nightmares from which one retains the fear but not the specifics of what caused it.  "I do hope you know the way.  I arrived in the village only a day ago.  I'm afraid I don't know my way around at all.  You're uncle's…is that where we're going?"

No, Zion hadn't given his name, and it was bad enough that she'd given hers.  Names just made it so much harder when he inevitably had to leave everyone he met or else risk eating them alive.  Devouring strangers was bad enough but he went to great lengths to ensure no one he actually <I>knew</I> met that fate.

"I'm Zion."  He'd meant to sound friendly but it came out weary and gruff.  Oh well.  He'd just <I>eaten</I> a <I>person</I>.  The taste was still in his mouth.  And she'd come upon him so soon after.

So he was a little shaken.  Understandable.

"Are those things…all magic?"  Magic of any kind unnerved him, but he wasn't concerned with whatever she'd spilled on him.  Unless it was of necromantic power, it wouldn’t have any affect.  He was already getting that nervy prickling that came from being near mages, so he figured she must be one herself.

The place was creepy at night.  As they passed down the street, he found himself staring up at the looming houses and shops and wondering what lay inside them.  This place had quite a reputation, and he consoled himself with the thought that he probably wasn't the strangest thing here by a long margin.