Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

From Tyroshaun to Cináed

Started by Anonymous, June 17, 2007, 12:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

[A completely exhausted Ceallach Kaleaster is packed off to bed by an over-fussing mother and sister, leaving the note with the Aldanrin seal, on top of a few other letters, on her father’s desk.]

Father,

I’d prefer you not share all the details of thisâ€"I think the fewer know, the better.  There were a few notes for you which would have been sent at some point, and since Ceallie was going, I asked her to take them as well.  They’re not the reason for the urgency, however.

I had, for various reasons, ordered the younger ones to stay near the house unless granted specific permission.  As a result when I went to the village today I saw no reason not to take them.  Nadia sensed a somewhat unusual group headed in our general directionâ€"specifically Connlaothans.  She proposed one of their storytelling sessions and chose the most flashy, melodramatic one she could think up.  However, at some point during this the deputation rode up and instantly overreacted.  There was a certain amount of steel shown.

By the time I got there, the situation was deteriorating rapidly and Nadia in particular was being rather provocative.  I sent the children home after telling Nadia very firmly she was in a great deal of trouble, as I know perfectly well she planned it.  I stayed to deal with the Connlaothans, and between the two of us Nadia and I have more or less pieced together what’s going on.  The guards are mostly irrelevant beyond the number.  They’re all somewhat hair-triggered and quick to reach for their swords.

Their employer is an official ambassadorâ€"Nadia confirmed itâ€"by the name of Vaili.  The little I can say for certain is that she is intelligent, organized, and one of the most cold-hearted, calculating women I’ve met.  Be careful around her.  She said very little, only that she’s supposed to see Fenway, but I think she’s more reconnaissance than anyone will admit.  The only other person who seemed to be potentially important is her daughter, little blond thing called Rathnait.  Bit skittish, that one, though she did try to hide it by being defiant.  Nadia says that’s partly how she found them at allâ€"she’s utterly terrified of magic.  Not just their hatred, true fear.  It’s uncanny.  I don’t know what kind of influence she may have over her mother, but she’s got emotions, unlike her <strike>bitch of a</strike> mother, and I don’t know how much she’ll be able to handle.  Be careful with her.  Even Meriel’s charm won’t do much good if she knows Meri’s a mage.  Katrina might almost be a better mediator as far as the girl is concerned, and she may be the easiest way to unfreeze that woman even slightly.

Let me know when Avrilys will have to be going to the capital so I can tell herâ€"she’s really been excited about it.  And, of course, give my love to my sisters, and to Mother, and tell her I’ve been remembering about the tea.  Be careful with the ambassadorâ€"we may be at peace at the moment, but she’s dangerous.

- Tyroshaun