Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

not such a bad place after all [Rhi]

Started by Tally, September 06, 2007, 11:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

"Sugar."  Haven rubbed his pounding head.  He might have pursued the matter, but it wasn't worth it trying to understand what sugar had anything to do with this.

"Virgins.  What?"  The conversation had lost him—had never really had him to begin with now that he thought about it.

Rhindeer

"You know, virgins. You've heard the old stories, yes? About sacrificing young maidens to placate rampaging dragons?"

Reaching out, Hazel gave Haven a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "You should have little to fear, friend. All the stories I've heard featured women."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Haven gave him a wry smile at the friendly insult.  "So a dragon took your sugar.  Are you going to be able to manage without it?"

Rhindeer

"I'll have to," Hazel said with a sigh. "Somehow. But I fear it may be back to clean me out, and you can't really say 'no' to a dragon, can you?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"Was that all you had?  We could find more, surely."  Was this what Zantaric was like?  Dragons demanding food tribute of inns?  Odd place.

Rhindeer

"All I had? It was a hefty amount! And expensive. It's not like sugar grows on trees, you know." Hazel paused and tilted his head. "It's a cane plant."

Tally

Haven shook his head.  He really could not tell anymore if Haven was putting him on or not.  If he was serious, then there was a dragon somewhere about Zantaric with a sack of sugar.

"Do you still have honey?  That's really what I'll need for the girl later."

Rhindeer

"Some..." Hazel said with a wary look at Haven, because first it was dragons stealing his sugar and now this one wanted his honey?

"How much do you need?"

Tally

"Only a bit for tea after she wakes up.  A couple of spoonfuls, maybe.  Will that be acceptable?  I will come down and fetch the tea myself."

Rhindeer

"Couple spoonfuls? Oh, that's no bother!" Hazel said, and let out a relieved laugh. "I mean, provided the dragon doesn't steal that, too."

Tally

"Glad to hear it."  Haven rubbed at his temple, where a dull ache was forming, likely from lack of sleep and overextending himself.  "Thank you.  I'll be out for a bit.  Not long.  I don't think she'll wake up but if she does—if you speak to her—let her know I'll return shortly."

Rhindeer

"Of course," Hazel said, and didn't bother to fake a smile. Wasn't like the man could see to be able to tell. What? Was he now a messenger boy or something? He was the damned cook. This wasn't his problem. He had others things to do.

"Do be careful. There are a lot of...unsavory elements out there, people who might see your blindness and get ideas."

Tally

"Thank you for the warning."  Haven waited until he'd turned away before smiling over the advice.  He'd heard it before.  It wasn't that he never faced ill intentions—he did, often.  It was only that he'd been making his living like this for years now.  Traveling, walking the roads alone, sleeping under the stars.  He had his secrets, and they served him well.

Rhindeer

"Ah, and one more thing," Hazel said, placing a hand on Haven's shoulder to stall him. "That dragon I was talking about? It's out there. So I'd watch yourself. What do you need, anyway?"

Tally

A hand on his shoulder stopped him, and he turned his head back in Hazel's direction.

Ah, he hadn't thought of the dragon being out there where he was going.  Hadn't actually taken this dragon talk seriously, though Hazel certainly seemed to.

"Supplies."  He shrugged.  "Sundries mostly.  I've been on the road a good few days and I've depleted nearly everything I need.  Herbs, teas, oils...other necessities for the trade.  I need to find a mage who deals in enchantments as well."

Rhindeer

"Ah, well there are plenty of mages like that here," Hazel said. "Though their prices can be...steep. Are you certain these things can't wait? I'll be changing shifts here soon. I could accompany you."

He smiled. "Forgive me if I'm being too forward! I'm sure you can handle yourself just fine!"

Tally

The offer reinvigorated Haven's wilted spirit.  He turned back, grateful for the gesture of friendship in a place where he had never been and knew no one.  "They can.  I would appreciate the company, thank you."

Rhindeer

With a grin, Hazel slapped Haven on the back. "Excellent! I'll be ready within the hour so just sit tight!" he said, and turned to go back to his business. "It's been awful dull around here lately. I could use the fresh air."

Tally

The slap on the back hit Haven's bruised spine.  He hissed and stiffened, and couldn't breath again until the pain faded.  "Ah!  Aha. Please don't do that again."

Rhindeer

Hazel turned back to Haven and stared in confusion. "What's wrong with you?"