Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Herbs and mixtures for sale!

Started by Anonymous, December 06, 2007, 09:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Isaac Ailiken looked especially bored as he sat on his box-like backpack which contained all his herbs and mixtures and tools. He had it enchanted a few years back to be lighter than it actually is and to hold more than it actually looked. It also had a cushion on the portion that laid on his back so it wouldn't hurt him so much. The black splotch on a huge portion of his back that crawled up his neck slightly put him in cronic pain and hindered some of his movement. It was a sad reminder of the plague that wiped out his village and his entire family. He often had to take breaks when travelling and he usually stayed at least a month in most cities. He spent that time doing his research on local herbs and making concoctions for sale or just to see what would happen if he mixed plant A with plant B.

At the moment, he needed money for housing and food. He also was attempting to save up for a permanant residence when he finished researching all he could. Then, he would find the right place to settle and create his own garden of the most splendid herbs in the world but that could only happen if he could find out how spritefires could grow in non-native soil. He had planted one in a pot with the soil native to the isles and it worked okay but he had to keep it warm and moise. He was fascinated by the plant on how it glowed but he was trying to find other ways to use it besides magical ways. He found his potted spritefire, who he called Bob sardonically, didn't give him luck if you don't count the fact that he was remarkably still alive... in pain but still alive.

He found that Zantaric he could make a lot of money mainly because he could sell poisons, which always seemed to be in high demand, undisturbed by some governmental body. He found it odd that mostly what he sold were mixtures that healed or mixtures that killed. Sometimes, he found that while looking for a healing mixture, he might accidently come across a powerful poison instead and vise versa. It came upon him that there is a very fine line between life and death and both could yield to the other as demonstrated by just a slight change in dosage of one herb could be the big difference between healing and damage.

Anyway, he set up shop just off the main street carefully guarding his stash. His backpack he used as a seat and he sat with his legs open. His clothes were dirty and tattered like he spent a great deal of time in the woods and it appeared like he hadn't shaved in quite a few days. Next to him lay a very crude sign which had the various services he offered which included, "Potent Potions and Poisons!" "Medicine of all kinds!" "Completely anonymous medical service!" And prices were negociable. He figured the last bit would draw the folks of the area.

He yawned and stretched then winced. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a piece of bark and sprinkled it in his flask. He then took a swig and proceeded to chew absently on what was left of the bark. Hmm... slow day. He still kept his eyes peeled for pickpockets even though he hoped his appearence would keep them away but you can never be too sure.

Anonymous

"Um...Excuse me, sir?" A soft voice suddenly could be heard next to Isaac. It certainly did not sound like one who would be his usual client, as it had the echo of someone young and unexperienced... And female.

Getting no initial response, there was a gentle shuffling of cloth, and a teenager of no more than fifteen came face-to-cafe with the man. She had short, choppily-cut black hair with dangled about her curious face and striking eyes, each of which was a different color...The left a deep violet, and the right an electric blue. She wore a gray shawl over her small shoulders and a richly-hued blue dress underneath. The latter ended about her knees to reveal tall lace-up boots. There was a bag in one of her gloved hands, and several more small pouches and vials attatched to her leather belt. Certainly a strange customer for such a stand.

"Hello!" She offered up a smile which many people would surely find heart-melting. "I was wondering if you had any hirta plant? I mean...I know that is is rather rare and I know many people don't sell it now, but..." She flushed sheepishly, seeming to believe that her question had been one of utter stupidity.

He probably thinks I'm an idiot...Just my luck... The young woman thought as she fidgeted meekly. But I have to get this potion done since I won't be oing back to teacher for supplies for almost another two months...

Ah well...It was always better to take a chance.

Anonymous

Isaac is greatly suspicious in general and when this seemingly naive girl approached him, his green eyes narrowed at her as he slowed the chewing of the bark in his mouth. He kept his eyes peeled for an accomplice. He saw this act before and was admittedly the victim of it the first few times. A small innocent seeming character gets your attention and comes off as helpless and while you help them, the accomplice pickpockets you.

After a few moments of studying her, he let out a huff which could be seen as laughter and suddenly smiled but it was a cold, sarcastic smile, "Hirta you say? That is a rather rare herb used in many potent potions which brings me to two conclusions. Either you scouting me out for a possible victim to steal from expecting that I would go into showing off all the wonderous rare herbs I have. I do have it, but I have no intention of bragging about any more of my wares. The other possibility is you're going to at any second fake a cough or a seizure and while I examine you, that is when your accomplice will appear out of the shadows and lift off my box here. A piece of advice, your act makes you stick out like a sore thumb. It may work in the more civilized areas but here... not wise." He paused for a moment as he rubbed his forehead, letting out that huff of laughter again, "Or you could be telling the truth in which case I have to ask, does your mommy know where you are? Did she disapprove of your beau and now you need the hirta plant for some love spell someone said would work? A piece of advice, love potions tend to have dreadful side effects for both the caster and the castee and if you still aren't convinced, try Dragon's Blood... the herb not the... bodily fluid and get out of this dangerous city before someone decides to take advantage of that naivete of yours."

Isaac may come off as an ass but he does look out for people after of course looking out after number one.

Anonymous

A slight pout came upon the young girl's face as she stared at Isaac. "I don't have an accomplice, nor do I have a beau who I wish a love potion for. It is really not polite to talk of something you don't know..." She murmured, crossing her arms haughtily and obviosuyl trying to seem as important as she could.

"I need that plant to finish something for my teacher and if I do not finish it, she won't let me go back any more, and then I can never find my brother and..." She broked off, biting her lip in determination. "You don't understand, sir...And I do not have a mother. And I'm not naive nor shall people take advantage of me."

Of course...No one can even take me seriously... She thought in exasperation. Why did this always happen to her? It surely never happened to her peer, Kimira, who was fearless, assertive, and older. But she had to try, this job was one of the most important things to her.... Should she show this clueless man what she could do? But he still might not be convinced, even if she wasted a hard-made potion. Or what of using a spell? No, she didn't know enough strong ones.

At times like these, it was hard not to cry.

Anonymous

Isaac raised an eyebrow at the young girl. He was beginning to think that she was actually the last thing he said... just a naive girl who thought she could successfully come into the town and blend in. He looked bored as she told her sob story and he gave an exaggerated yawn, "Yes, precious story. If you want the herb, you'll have to give me a tale that might make a gold coin or two or name your price and we'll negociate."

Then he added sardonically, "You don't have a mother? Neither do I! Let's be friends." He could never understand how people were so willing to open up about their past. He never did even when people asked about his black splotch. He would make some sarcastic comment.

"Did you only come to town to get this herb or did you come with a shopping list?" he replied after a moment. His voice almost sounded concerned but was mostly laced with annoyance and belligerence. She could protest all she wanted but as far as Isaac was concerned, she was naive and many con artists would love to get their hands on her for that. He couldn't just let her wander about freely with a clean conscience!

Anonymous

Kahlen pouted helplessly. This certainly wasn't going well now, was it? As expected. Oh, if only Kimira were here now to help... Or even her brother.

But he wasn't, she would just have to find a way to solve this herself.

Suddenly, she got an idea. If anyone could negotiate with this man, it would be her teacher. Of course. "If you would meet my teacher, who I need this herb for, I'm certain she could convince you to sell it." She murmured, glancing up at the man, trying to hide a glint of her mischevious nature. It might not be fair to try to lure someone to Teacher, as she could be frightening, but...This was a desparate situation.

"And I came here specifically for the herb, as I heard that there was a reliable source of it about." She answered calmly. "However, if you aen't going to sell me anything, I see no reason why it is your business..." She added, a bit of her stubborn side starting to show as she crossed her arms.

Anonymous

"I would love to meet your teacher," Isaac said with fake enthusiasm, his voice dripping with mockery. "Except my mom told me not to go over strangers' houses..." Even though he was almost convinced about her being just in a bad place, he still didn't trust her. Even so, he unstraddled himself from his backpack and winced, seething a little with pain. He took a swig of his flask even though it was clear the pain was still present. He had gotten up too fast.

He didn't voice it outloud and proceeded to open up his Mary Poppins bag. Reaching in, he pulled out the wanted herb in a small cloth bag, "I sell it in little bags like this. How many do you want and how much would you pay for it...?" He did want to make a profit but he thought he would try and commit a good deed. His method is flawed.

Anonymous

"I would love to meet your teacher," Isaac said with fake enthusiasm, his voice dripping with mockery. "Except my mom told me not to go over strangers' houses..." Even though he was almost convinced about her being just in a bad place, he still didn't trust her. Even so, he unstraddled himself from his backpack and winced, seething a little with pain. He took a swig of his flask even though it was clear the pain was still present. He had gotten up too fast.

He didn't voice it outloud and proceeded to open up his Mary Poppins bag. Reaching in, he pulled out the wanted herb in a small cloth bag, "I sell it in little bags like this. How many do you want and how much would you pay for it...?" He did want to make a profit but he thought he would try and commit a good deed. His method is flawed.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Kahlen pouted more, getting more and more annoyed and frustrated with the situation. Why did people never believe that a 15-year old could be a potion-maker? And WHY did no one believe that she might actually NEED the things she bought for her job, not for some dark murder or conspiracy. Of course, she never really knew why her teacher needed the things she did...And it was probably best she never found out. If she did, she would surely regret it forever. But still, that wasn't the point.

She stared at the bag with her color-mismatched eyes quietly for a moment.

"Hmph. And you wre so reluctant to even speak to me a moment ago..." She added haughtily, not quite back in her normal polite mood yet. "Whatever happened? After all, I may have some pickpocketing accomplice nearby, mightn't I?"

Anonymous

"Because you seem very tenacious so I decided to give you an award," Isaac replied simply. "Now name your price and we'll negociate. You know how that works, right?" Now, he was worried she was going to get smart with him but he had the plant right in front of her so she knew he had it.

Anonymous

Kahlen gave a slight sigh and fidgeted around in her bag for a moment. She then pulled out a small purse with a draw string. It was decroated with silver and blue thread. "Um..." She laughed nervously. Her teacher had given her quite a bit of money, one of the only perks of being the pupil of such a person.

She wasn't sure what to really do in this situation...

Anonymous

Isaac rubbed his brow looking rather irritated, "How much do you think the plant's worth. Let's start with the basics, shall we?" Come on. He was getting impatient with her. He took out another piece of bark and began to chew on it as he waited for her.