Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What was a simple day(open)

Started by hikaru.dream, January 06, 2008, 05:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hikaru.dream

Etona narrowed her slightly. She tended to do so when she was thinking.

So the "Plane of Shadow" was a parallel world. Or at least a plane. And only shadow dancers can enter it. Even if a normal person got in, they'd probably never get out. But she could ask Aerynn later.
Hopefully anyway.

"Yes." She replied softly, but whether Aerynn heard her or not she didn't know.
The door opened with a large rattle.

"SOMEONE STOLE MY WALLET!!"
A fat man wattled into the bar with three tall men trailing behind. He blinked around at the empty place, noticing that the half elf was the only customer and seemed disappointed. He obviously had come in to make a fuss about it.

Ah, darn, Etona thought. Just when we got to the good part.
She wiped the annoyance off her face and asked what he would like.

"Someone stole my wallet...." The fat man grumbled. He sat down two seats away from   Aerynn, but he filled the space easily. He gave Etona the impression of a toad.

"What?" he said impatiently as Etona made no motion to move.
One of the tall men whispered in his ear. The toad man grunted and pulled out a fat wallet.

"I always keep a lot around me." He said, grinning like a spoiled child. Etona supposed he was.

She wasn't too surprised as she took in his order. That was more than three times as much as a normal person ate.

Anonymous

((WOW, I am SO sorry I haven't replied in, like, two months. My life was really hectic with short notice. I hope you can forgive. me))

Aerynn was about to go on when in burst a fat man and three taller men. She took a quick glance at them and then turned back, a lump forming in her throat; hadn't she stolen from them earlier? If they knew that she was the one who had stolen their money, then she was sure that a brawl would erupt. And she didn't want to trouble poor Etona after her hospitality.

Instinctively, she went back to her delicious stew, her left hand hidden from view and firmly gripping her zanbatou, while her left boot was touching a shadow, readying her to "jump" at any moment.

When the toad man mentioned and pulled out a fat wallet, Aerynn mentally grinned. This was too good to be true. There would be another lift to pull today. The question was, how would she go about doing it?

Perhaps one of her shades could help. Without any outward movement, she mentally channeled shadow energy into the shadows beneath her chair until it took on the form of a small, vaguely humanoid blob of shadow. Of course it was invisible, but she felt its presence.

Steal that man's wallet, Aerynn spoke telepathically to the shade. And be as subtle as you can about it. Don't let him catch you.

The shade acknowledged the command and slithered from shadow to shadow until it reached the fat man's shadow with little difficulty. It then lingered there a bit, waiting for his hand to come off of the large wallet.

While it was doing that, Aerynn was taking another sip of her ale.

hikaru.dream

((OoC: Don't worry about it! I'm glad you replied though :) ))

Etona promptly begin making the new arrival's meal. He didn't seem to like waiting, so she would not keep him.
Quickly finishing one dish, Etona started on another and brought the toad one third of his large meal. She glanced at the three men standing behind him.
"You must be so tired. Have a seat." She said soothingly, and somehow managed to not sound strange despite she was holding her breath. With a few more words and perhaps a couple of winks and a little more, she succeeded in getting two of them to sit down, and help themselves to a meal from their master's pocket. She had intentionally made 'too much'. The last man stood stiffly to attention behind the fat man. Etona met his eyes and smiled sweetly, he glared back.

Etona flew back to the kitchen and started on the third while still working on the second. She was lucky, one of the three meals was the same as what the half elf had just ordered. The kitchen and bar were connected so that she could see customers from where she worked, but it was the first time she had wished she couldn't. He ate awful. And he still had a fat hand on his wallet.
By the time she had finished the last two ones, which was extremely fast, the man looked about to wail for more food. She scooped up a small glass of ice cream with little berries on top and made it just before he opened his mouth. Again she had made too much, which she of course served. Delicious smells wafted through the small space of the bar.

Etona beckoned to Aerynn, to a seat much farther away from the toad man.
At first she had hesitated on doing this, but she supposed that most people would be more thankful to have a excuse to get away from such a man. Etona wished she did.
She also usually attempted to keep guests away from shadowy corners such as this spot. It then occurred to her that Aerynn probably would like that better.

She placed the small cup of ice cream on the counter.
"This is thanks for telling me about shadow dancers." She smiled. "I'm sorry to have had it interrupted. It's melted a little, sorry about that."

Anonymous

Aerynn remained in her seat and tried her best not to look at the toad man with his manners or lack thereof. She politely finished the rest of her meal as quickly as she could before she could lose her appetite. Man, that toad-person had worse manners than Angel did when they were younger.

Ah, Angel...what would she give to see him alive and well again.

Aerynn then saw that Etona was gesturing her over to a shadowy corner of the bar. That seemed fitting enough for her because if trouble arose, she could "jump" out of here without hesitation. Then again, she didn't want to give or receive trouble for Etona in the first place. So she quietly rose from her seat and crept over to the corner, where Etona and a small bowl of ice cream were waiting.

"It's quite alright," she replied as she sat down. "Maybe I can continue...as soon as these guys leave." She then took a small spoonful of the ice cream and was once again overwhelmed by its deliciousness. "Mmmm...this is really good. Where'd you learn to make food like this?"

Meanwhile, the shade was still lying, waiting for the opportune moment to lift.

hikaru.dream

"Thank you," Etona said, looking very pleased indeed. Some people had cooking magic, which made most foods they cooked very delicious. Unfortunately she was not one of, what she considered, the lucky people which showed how much work she had put into cooking.
She shrugged modestly. "I listen to the elderly folks. And combine them to my own liking."
She looked about to continue, but then the other customer called again, forcing her to leave Aerynn.
She supposed he wanted something more, he didn't seem like the decent sort who would call people over to give them their payment. Etona sighed and, quite aware that it was rude, requested for him to pay his bill before she served him anymore. She requested a higher price than what she usually asked for. She felt it quite alright to be paid for bearing with his table manners.
With the money safely in her hands, she dumped it into a small box under the counter and attempted to make a start on cleaning up before she gave him his second serving. It was a poor attempt, the man was too big and was in the way.

"My wallet was stolen..." he grumbled, and looked pleadingly at Etona.

What, you're still going on about that?
"I don't see why you mind so much sir. Excuse me, but I'm sure you have more than enough in your current one." Etona replied calmly.

"But you're supposed to be angry about it," he whined. "It makes me a decent citizen."

I do think not complaining about stolen wallets would send you a step toward a decent citizen, she thought silently.

"I thought there'd be more people. What kind of bar is this, anyway? Very unpopular, eh?"

"I think most of my customers ran away when they saw you coming in, sir."

"But there is someone," he said, practically ignoring anything Etona said. He seemed to be attempting to face Aerynn and was failing miserably.
Most people would have been able to turn to look to the side with their hand still on the pouch but his multiple layers of fat kept him from doing this. He inched around slowly and managed to turn his whole body to her. And in the process knocked down the guard on his right, followed by a plate which fell square on the guard's face. He also managed to send another empty plate flying across the room. It seemed, that his fat boosted his strength a bit. The plate shattered to pieces against the wall.
Etona imagined that his current position was very uncomfortable considering the counter was digging into his side. He didn't seem have the ability to move so that he wouldn't be touching the counter. She prayed that he wouldn't break the counter, which wasn't so cheap as a couple of plates.

Etona sighed. There didn't seem to be much she could do for Aerynn right now, other than hope that she had finished her ice cream. She got to work cleaning the mess.

Anonymous

Aerynn sadly watched Etona go to service the bloated toad man. As she finished up her ice cream, Aerynn began to worry about Etona's well-being when dealing with this potentially dangerous lot. If there was any time that they should leave, it should be within the next five minutes. Otherwise, if they gave either Etona or Aerynn trouble, then Aerynn would personally see that they get the hell out of there.

It didn't take a half elf's--much less a pure elf's--innate sense of hearing for Aerynn to hear the brief conversation between Etona and Mr. Toad-Man. She grew even more concerned, and so tightened her grip on her zanbatou under the counter in case a brawl erupted.

What disturbed Aerynn the most, however, was the fact that Toad-Man had to turn his entire bloated body to just take a look at her. Aerynn was surprised that he even fit through the door; he was so big that he knocked over one of his thugs over as well as sent a couple of plates flying into the wall. One of them missed Aerynn by a foot. She was very inwardly annoyed by this man, but when met with his accusing gaze, she countered with one of her 'eye-tricks'; she employed a genuine, innocent, clueless look, combined with a raised eyebrow, then just shook her head and finished her ice cream before she lost her appetite.

The shade saw that Toad-Man's giant, pudgy hand was off the money sack, so it took this opportunity and swiped it off his person so quickly and quietly that he might not notice right away that he had been hoodwinked. It then sank into the floor with money in tow.

hikaru.dream

The man opened his mouth to let out a stream of complaints. The bar was otherwise silent, except for an occasional clink from what was left of the plates. A few minutes passed. He was still complaining. And the subject was still on stolen wallets.
Etona straightened up, holding her small broom and a bright pink basket (she didn't really like it and still has no idea how they managed to make it pink but it was on sale). She was surprised at the innocent look on Aerynn face; she had expected a disgusted look much like how she currently felt. Etona wasn't at all envious of Aerynn's current situation and if the young woman had been rude or impolite, she may have left her alone to face the toad. But Aerynn hadn't, and besides, Etona liked her. She respected her, Etona realized. Even though she had not known Aerynn for very long, there was something in the air surrounding the half elf that appealed to her.

Gripping the horrid basket, she stepped in between the toad man and Aerynn when he stopped to take a breath. She smiled sweetly at him.
"Please do not disturb other customers, sir."
He didn't look very pleased to be interrupted. Etona thought that it was for his own good she stepped in, he was out of breath and panting. He seemed to think that complaining was more important than breathing. It wasn't hard to tell that he didn't care much for his health. Otherwise he would have lost a lot of weight along time ago.
"Please do not disturb other customers," she repeated firmly.

The two glared at each other for a while, but it wasn't so long before the man readily attempted to face forward. She didn't bother to watch the layers of fat wriggle around as he turned and set about to make his last order.
When she finished, she slipped back to Aerynn.
"What do you think of them?" she asked quietly. She wasn't sure if they were part of a gang or something like that. Maybe Aerynn would know.

She finally noticed one of the guards looking around frantically for something. It took her a while to realize what they were looking for.
Oh boy, she thought. He's not going to be very happy about that.
Hopefully he wouldn't go off again about stolen wallets.

((OoC: I'm sorry to be so late! I have the very bad habit of checking the posts in the non character boards and then discover I've used up all my time :/))

Anonymous

Aerynn couldn't figure out which was worse: the toad man's continuous blatant comments about his money being stolen, or his enormous layers of girth and fat. She figured it was the former until Etona stepped in between and politely chided the man not to disturb Aerynn. She admired Etona's patience in dealing with customers like him. Aerynn, like all other thieves, knew that patience played a major role in their line of work; assess the situation, wait for the opportune moment, and then strike. She just wish she had that kind of patience when it came to dealing with other customers.

Then the man moved back to his original place the same way he did when he faced her. Yep...it was definitely the latter.

She could feel the shade coming back with the giant wallet, but she knew that this wasn't the opportune moment to do so. Stay right where you are until I say my next command, she mentally instructed. She felt the shade freeze in place, and was satisfied.

When asked by Etona about the bunch, Aerynn thought about the time she "ran" into them earlier and softly replied, "I don't like them. I ran into them before. Turns out they're a small group of gangsters. The big guy's the ringleader. Obviously an ill-mannered glutton for food and money. Anyway, you might wanna get them out as soon as possible before they rouse more trouble."

However, when she heard the guards frantically searching for something, she mentally cursed her luck at her horrible timing of saying those words. Whatever happens next, she did not want Etona involved.

hikaru.dream

"Really, so you ran into them before. Must have been quite a horrid experience," Etona said lightly. A couple thoughts ran through her head. She nearly smiled at them. Life was like a large puzzle, where most events connected to another, and if you had enough information, they would all go together to make a large picture. Things were beginning to now, not quite, but almost.
She froze.
"Wait, you said that he was the ring leader? Not his father or something, but him?" Etona asked, straining a bit to keep the urgency out of her voice.

Gangs, in general, were entertaining to play around with. The lower rank of them were stupid and would run around at her command without knowing it. The sub leader would be a little more to deal with and the leader a challenge. Etona enjoyed the challenge, and made sure not to turn down any  provocations she received.
But this was quite different, considering the apparent ring leader in his current state. You couldn't really be ringleader without being either very good at fighting or very smart and it wasn't too hard to tell that man wasn't leader because of the former. Which might mean he considered himself smart enough that he decided he wouldn't need his ability to move around. Or maybe he really could move around, but she couldn't help doubting that. There was a limit to how fat one can be, and this guy was way over it.

Getting them out of the bar was easy enough. Making sure they wouldn't come back in was another. Maybe she could keep these four out, but she couldn't keep the whole gang away. Especially if the leader was someone who relied on brains, not muscles.

She saw the fat man take his last bite of dessert. She'd have to do something fast.

If the guy was smart, wouldn't he have already realized that his wallet was gone? She wondered how good he was with magic. His knowledge of illusions just may grip the key to whether there would be a brawl or not. It would be easier if there wasn't one, but there was no way she'd be losing to a brawl in her own bar.

Anonymous

Aerynn nodded, sharing Etona's concern for both of their welfare. Already, her mind was racing with possible strategies of how to either beat them to a pulp or to send them away for good to never return here and bother this place again. It was always part of a thief's creed to think of an easy escape route, but Aerynn had no intention of running away and leaving Etona for dead in the hands of these gangsters.

Perhaps it was time for Aerynn to tell Etona the truth.

"I'm afraid so," she whispered back in concern. Then, her tone took on an apologetic sound as she said, "Listen...um, I don't think I've been completely honest with you, Etona." She then leaned forward and whispered into Etona's ear, "While it's true that I'm a shadowdancer...I'm also a thief. I stole from him earlier. I'm so sorry that I dragged you into this, but I'm going to deal with this lot soon."

She then took a very quick glance at the gangsters, then back at Etona. The bodyguards would be easy enough. The toad man would b a problem, though, because all of that fat of his would easily absorb any kind of blunt impact. He was also too huge and heavy to even budge. Aerynn thought about slashing at him, but she didn't want to stain Etona's bar with blood. That left her only one option: use that big shadow of his and banish him to the Plane of Shadow.

She prepared for anything to happen at all.

hikaru.dream

Etona smiled warmly back at Aerynn.
"I'd say that it was a pretty good choice," she said. "He's not exactly here because you stole his wallet. Otherwise he would have acted much sooner." She shrugged the apology off lightly. Etona didn't seem to care too much about what Aerynn worked as. Her own money box was stowed under the counter and weighed more than a ton, and it also wouldn't open unless Etona herself touched it. As long as it wasn't some poor old fellow who would die if he didn't have the money, and it wasn't directed at her, she let thieving be. Some thieves had their own good reasons, she had learned, long ago.

Etona smiled, but her eyes were grim.
"I think," she said very softly. "You're brainstorming. Considering what you said before they came in, you're probably stronger then I am and can get rid of them quite easily. But let's see if we can get something out of them, first." She smiled devilishly. It was dangerous but not so bad. It had been a simple day, and she was bored.

She moved back to the gang, and smiled sweetly.
"Are you looking for something?"
The two guards jumped, but the toad man was surprisingly quiet.
She leaned over the counter and pointed down. The guards looked down to see their master's large money bag, and sighed in relief. Unfortunately for them, just as one reached to pick it up, the door crashed open. A little white fox popped in and grabbed the sack before the two guards could react. A couple seconds later, they were gone too, running after a fox and a wallet that did not exist.

"Two down."
Etona's voice whispered nearby Aerynn. She wasn't there, but her voice still seemed to be.

The man was unnervingly quiet, and the last guard was unnervingly still.
"You're wallet seemed to have been stolen again, sir."
He only glared at her. Etona learned that this was quite frightening. It was like staring into a very bumpy pie with eyes that were hidden deep in the dough.
She frowned inwardly at the last guard. He was standing as straight as always. She decided to call him Blank because he did not seem to have any emotions. He had not reacted to anything what so ever and he was still glaring at her.

He was glaring at her.

Etona mentally smacked herself. Why hadn't she thought of that before?
He was glaring through her.
He wasn't human. Or at least, he wasn't human now. Poor old Mr. Blank was just a puppet now, existing only to dance at his master's fingertips. She had met people like Mr. Blank before. They were used in a gang that she had taken great care to demolish. She was beginning to get the idea of why Mr. Toad was here. It wasn't Aerynn's fault, although the elf was most certainly included in the revenge for stealing from him. Etona was his target. But she wasn't planning on going down. She still had to wash the dishes.