Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When stupidity backfires ...

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2008, 11:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The first thing Rafaella's eye fell on was a young man talking to some person invisible. Her body went cold. Did he see her? The answer came rather quickly, as he looked in her direction with a guilty and embarrassed expression on his face. Rafaella knew she could have gotten quite annoyed by the fact that he had watched her, as she normally would have, but now the situation was different. Now, a man-eating creature was in the mood of destroy practically every life that stood in his way. A hot fear stung her mind painfully as she knew it would be because of her when Dev discovered the young man on the other bank and made him another martyr. Dying for her. Obviously not wanting to.

Rafaella's mind did not obey for some moments, leaving her body paralyzed in some way. Her expression was an anxious one. She sought for a way to make the man leave, to make him run in the opposite direction, to save him... for what Dev would undoubtably do to him. And there was no possibility of shouting. Dev would be alarmed and come to see in what kind of trouble she was this time, to see if she needed him to save her. Again.

But a sound behind her brought her the solution. Zorro jumped on her shoulder and she took him in her arms. He was soaking wet as well. She whispered some soft words in his ear while cuddling him gently. After some moments, she put him down on the ground and immediately he jumped back in the water and swam to the other side, without any difficulty that the rapids may have caused. Rafaella saw Zorro disappear under the bushes, and waited with mixed emotions of fear and hope that Zorro could set the man to leaving.

[It's a little short, but I think you can do something with it :) Hope it's not very bad, things at home are not very well and I am a little bit distracted, but I hope this does not influence the quality too much. If it does, please say so and I will try to find a solution. Hope you are okay!]

Anonymous

Dev was enjoying his brief respite, allowing his mind to enter a semi-shutdown, similar to when he was contained in his original body,-only this was voluntary, not out of necessity- When suddenly his mind became aware of the peculiar tang of fear in the air. His eyes shot open, scanning the area around him for any signs of mischief.NothingHe thought grimly to himself. The forest was the same as he had last seen it-peaceful and quiet.If it's not me... then it must be Rafaella. Dev quickly rose to his feet, casting out his mind in her direction, scanning to confirm his train of thought. Sure enough, the fear was emanating from her like a lit beacon, burning brightly in his mind.Does she enjoy getting into trouble? He sighed and set off towards the river. Once he got there he could figure out what the trouble was this time. His mind was still enjoying -not- being exerted much, he wasn't about to use any unneeded effort and break the feeling. The natural beauty of the forest forgotten to him, he marched up to the river bank, gazing down both ways, searching for Rafaella. After a moment he saw her, standing by the river with her clothes soaking wet. He grinned devilishly

"My dear, it's my understanding that humans usually take their clothes off to bathe, leaving them on is rather paranoid of you don't you think? it's not like there's anyone else.... here? Oh bother."

There, on the other side of the River, a human man. Dev would have missed him if he wasn't able to sense emotions, the man certainly was dressed to fit in with his surroundings. But his thoughts were a glaring pillar of mixed emotions.ohh... thats new. Dev smirked. The boy actually intended to fight him. Either he was extremely brave, or just incredibly ignorant.Perhaps Rafaella dearest told him about me. Tsk tsk... that will never do. I'll have to take time for a little chat with her later on. After this gnat is swatted. Dev strode several paces to stand beside Rafaella, and then called out mock cheerfully to the man across the river bank.

"Hello there! Lovely day out isn't it?" Without allowing him to reply, Dev suddenly gave him an admonishing glare. "Were you peeping on my partner? For shame young man... I'll have to teach you to mind your manners." The boy's face turned red, but it didn't stop him grabbing his bow and notching an arrow in it. Across the river his voice carried, a little shaky, but discernible nonetheless.

"Move away from her. Now."

Dev blinked once. He presumes to -threaten- me? Me?!? All false Joviality dropped from Dev's features. In it's place was a mask of cold anger.

"Boy, that is the last stupid thing that will drop out from those foolish lips. No-one threatens my life. No-one."

Splaying his tentacles out behind him, Dev began building his energy for a massive energy blast. This boy would soon learn his place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At first Nathaniel didn't even dare look back over to the other side of the river. But when agonizing moments passed with no outraged cry or scream, Nathaniel was confused. He looked over once more, expecting to see her aiming some deadly weapon at him for his perceived vulgarity. But instead she was just staring. Not with embarrassment  or outrage... but with fear. She gazing at him with fear bright in her eyes. Did Nathaniel paint that terrifying of a picture? Or maybe she was deathly afraid of people seeing her unclothed. Nathanial now felt even more guilty, because even though he didn't see her, she thought he did, and she was fearful as a result. You are such an idiot. He told himself ruefully. But wait... there was an animal he was unfamiliar with swimming in the river towards him. He'd never seen a creature like that in the forest... and he'd seen pretty much all of the animals here. Maybe it was hers...  Nathaniel shifted his gaze, looking for his companion.

"Chip, do you see-"

"I do. Give me a moment, I'll have a little chat."
Chip bounded down from the perch he was in to stand by the riverside, once the creature that was swimming had reached this bank, Chip sent a flurry of inquisitive chatters to him, and he replied in kind.
"Nath! He says she's in trouble... there's someone... something is keeping her hostage... He says we should run and save ourselves."

"Your sure it's telling the truth?"

"Absolutely."

Nathaniel briefly weighed his options. He couldn't leave someone in need of help like that... it wasn't his way.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking Chip?"

"We're going to help her aren't we?"

"We are."

"Ok Boss, lets do it."

Chip and Nathaniel shared a grin, then Chip sped off into the trees, looking for an easy crossing to the other side.
Nathaniel made sure his bow was tied securely, and prepared to swim across to her. Before he could move to the river's edge though, he saw him. Or at least... it looked like a man. An older man, but his chest-those black coils-what were those? He was saying something to the woman, Nathaniel could tell. Dropping into a Crouch, Nathaniel tried to blend into the shadows. Lot of good that did... He though when the man looked right at him. These clothes are supposed to -keep- that from happening. Nathaniel stood, deciding that it didn't do him much good anyway. Then... the man went to stand beside the girl. his body tensing, Nathaniel moved closer to the river's edge, quietly unstrapping his bow.

"Hello there! Lovely day out isn't it?"

"Were you peeping on my partner? For shame young man... I'll have to teach you to mind your manners."

Hot embarrassment almost clouded out his anger at being insulted like that. Nathaniel quickly notched an arrow into his bow, aiming for the mysterious man's head, and spoke out in the sternest voice he could muster.

The man's face changed quickly from amiable, to downright shiver inducing. Nathaniel took a step backwards from the sheer change.

"Boy, that is the last stupid thing that will drop out from those foolish lips. No-one threatens my life. No-one."

Then the black coils around the man's chest moved, turning out to be giant tentacles originating from his back. Nathaniel was terrified. He'd never seen anything like this before. And now a blue aura was beginning to build around the man's body. Perhaps I should have run after all. He thought worriedly. To late now. May warrior's fortune be with me. Nathaniel Closed his eyes, thinking of the necklace he worse under his clothes... the only thing to remind him he had a past. It was more of a good luck charm then anything else-even so, if there was ever a time he needed luck, he decided it would be now. Snapping his eyes open, Nathaniel quickly pulled his bow taunt, aiming for the head and whispering quietly to himself; "Let my arrows always strike true."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((OOC: Ok... long one.  O.o -Please- tell me if It's bad... I have this ominous feeling >.> And yours was fine, although you might want to edit the first sentence xD If it's to long, let me know... boring, let me know... all those other undesirable things- let me know please =X Anywho, looking forward to your next post ^_^ Hope you enjoy. ))

Anonymous

Rafaella was pulled out of her concentration when footsteps approached her and she heard Dev's voice and -again- with an extremely mocking and sarcastic tone. She wished there was something she could say or do to make him stop talking to her. Or.. thinking to her. Whatever it was called. A hot fear made her forget the chill of the cold water on her skin, the wet clothes sticking to her body, and gripped her mind in a painful sting. Rafaella wished she could think in people's minds the way Dev could, wished she could want the man on the other bank of the river leave. Force him through her mind. But now, their only hope was Zorro. If only he'd been able to make the man understand in what kind of danger he was.

Dev went to stand next to her, and she turned around and faced him, standing in his view to the other bank, but he was way taller than her and she knew it was useless when he looked beside her and called out to the young man on the other side. The incapacity to do something, anything, was the feeling Rafaella hated and feared the most. To lose control, to have to stand on the outside and watch your life being lived and your freedom to decide for your own is taken in an unretrievable way. It was the feeling that had almost devastated Rafaella when she was forced to watch her sisters die, powerless to do anything.

The words did not come from Dev. Rafaella needed a moment to process what she was hearing. Did a complete stranger just make an attempt to stand up for her? In one quick fluid movement, she turned on the spot and stared at the stranger, her wet hair swinging in her face and sticking to her cheek. What was happening here?

At the same time, Rafaella knew the young man had made a huge mistake. One that would not be tolerated by Dev. No, he would not forgive and not let it slip past him unnoticed. His next words illustrated that perfectly.

"No-one threatens my life. No-one."

A blue aura had built up when Rafaella glanced at Dev again, and she took a step backwards, unable to believe what she was witnessing. Dev was about to kill again. But she could not let it happen. This time, she would not stand by and watch the play. Anger built up in her chest. Her hands changed into fists. Her expression was cold, but there burned a fire in her eyes. Before Dev could make another move, Rafaella reached into her boot, her hands finding the dagger and pulling it out, letting it slide across his chest right through the blue light, leaving behind a deep wound with red fluid pouring out effortlessly.

'Not anymore,' Rafaella said in a low whisper. 'This was just a warning, partner. Please, give me a reason to continue my work. I'd kill you with love. No doubt the only love you've ever had. You're hardly worth the trouble, Dev. Save me the trouble and leave this instant.'

[Don't worry, yours was not bad at all. I'm not sure about mine, though. My imagination is a bit ruined by the events of late and the two week break to Egypt... So please, tell me if it's way too bad or simply boring. I already know the ending is crappy and cliché... no need to tell me that xD Looking forward to your reply, and again, sorry for the slow reactions everywhere.]

Anonymous

((OOC: NOOOOOOOO T_T I accidentally closed my window and lost -all- my stuff... I'm sorry >.< But I need to wait awhile before trying again.. kinda depressed right now ._. I will post later though, take care  ^_^ ))

Anonymous

Np. Hope you didn't mind me cutting Dev's ... body :P Take care. Looking forward to your reply!

Anonymous

It was all going well. The boy was about to meet his end, to learn his lesson. And then... she Cut him. The prey, who he had been protecting all this time. Saving her for later. He had been giving her the honor of staying alive, of his protection. And she had just spit on that. She had cut him. Dev decided that she would have to learn soon also. But then... she threatened him. No-one threatened him. Especially little girls like her. He turned towards her, fury evident in his face. His tentacles snaked through the air towards her as he screamed at her with a voice infused with the power he had built up.

Insignificant prey! You think you can harm me? Threaten me? What do you know? Were you there, centuries ago, when I came into being? Have you spend untold years, waiting beneath the surface? Have you ever brought a civilization to it's knees with your own two hands? How dare you threaten me! All of you, you'll all die!

Dev roared with bestial rage. No-one who threatens me can live. Not anymore. Not after that... A memory came unbidden into his mind, one locked away in the deep recesses of his being.

They surrounded him, obsidian armor seeming to absorb the sunlight. Hundreds of them lay dead at his feet, but there were always more to replace the fallen. Here, in this cursed place, robbed of his power, Dev could not defeat them. They fought with brutal efficiency, moving as one, methodically robbing him of his tentacles with carefully executed hacks and slashes. Their leader, that accursed man, dared show his face, speaking to Dev in that insufferable haughty tone he loved to use... "It's all over Dev, Your finished. You can still come back, if you be a good boy."  Dev laughed hoarsely, spitting at his feet. The leader's face grew stormy, and he planted a swift kick in Dev's gut that brought out a scream-

Dev snapped back into the present, pain clearing his mind as he realized that the scream flew from his lips now, not in the past. An arrow protruded from his head, spearing his brain with perfect precision. Troublesome boy. Dev knew the body wouldn't be much use anymore. Such a shame. I liked this body. Before he could make another move, a second arrow hit, maiming him in his left arm... then another arrow.. this time his right arm. The boy is good. I'll give him that. Dev realized that he couldn't win here. These gnats would have to wait until another day. When the next arrow came, Dev spun with it, dropping into the stream with a heavy splash. He felt several more arrows penetrate his human body as he slowly floated downstream, and filed in memory to kill they boy on sight next time he saw him. He's far to thorough for his age. Dev slowly began to withdraw from the human, tentacles wriggling slowly out of the dying frame, absorbing any nutrients they could along the way. With the extra power still built up from before, Dev sent a mental message to Rafaella.

Don't think I'm gone deary, I'm just waiting for awhile. I will be back for you... you can count on it-partner. Dev's message ended with homicidal laughter, the kind that he found haunted people until he found them again and finished the feeding. He always finished the feeding, eventually.  Oh yes... I'll be back for both of you. Your linked with me now... you can't get away. You'll see me again Dev finally detached from the body, and begun to swim swiftly downstream.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathaniel was almost certain he was going to die trying to save this woman's life. But then, she did the unthinkable. She walked up and sliced a chunk out of the... things chest. Nathaniel was dumbfounded. He couldn't move for a few moments, until the thing turned towards her. As it was ranting, Nathaniel realized that this thing was possibly to most dangerous being he had ever come across. It stirred something murky in his memory... something... But then something strange brought his brain into line. The thing gripped it's head, whispering softly to itself. Something in his mind shouted Shoot already you moron! and Nathaniel let the arrow fly. Right on target.  A part of his mind warmed with the satisfaction, the other part was appalled at the pain he had just inflicted on another being. Gods, he's still moving. Nathaniel quickly notched another arrow, and let lose. And then another, and another. Finally, it slowly dropped into the river and began a slow drift downstream. Something in the back of Nathaniel's mind told him to shoot it a few more times, just to be sure. So he did. After it had drifted out of sight, Nathaniel risked crossing the river to the other side. He quickly made his way to the woman, concern visible in his actions.

"Are you alright miss? He didn't hurt you did he? Miss... Are you alright?"

She seemed to be staring off into the distance, the direction the body went.

"It's ok, he's gone now. No-one could survive wounds that terrible. Your safe, for now."

Nathaniel shook his head sadly when she didn't reply.

Anonymous

It wasn't quite the arrows suddenly penetrating Dev's body. It wasn't the fact that he screamed at her with uncontrolled rage. It wasn't his fury that scared her. It was the things he said when he'd fallen in the stream after three arrows had hit him, when more arrows penetrated him and the voice in her head was that of a horrific creature, of a terrifying beast... of a monster. A ghost never leaving her unhaunted anymore.

Rafaella barely noticed the young man that had most likely saved her swim across the stream to come to her. Her ears were deaf for a moment. Sounds were vague and seemed unreal. The only thing that Rafaella saw was the body of Dev's victim drifting down the stream, pulled along by the current. When he vanished under the surface, her knees collapsed underneath her and Rafaella sank to the ground, her face in her hands. Then she realized the presence of the young man who'd launched the arrows, and her head shot up. A tear had rollen down her cheek and quickly she wiped it away.

'I'm sorry,' she said. 'I don't know how to thank you for saving me. I owe my life to you... Thank you for standing up for me, although you've doomed yourself now. He will be back. I can promise you that.'

Her large brown eyes connected with his while she stood up and brushed off her clothes, finally getting a grip on herself again. For a moment, they stood silently opposite of each other, each pondering their own thoughts. Then Rafaella looked away, not knowing what to say anymore. She couldn't stop hearing the monstrous laughter in her ears.

'I am Rafaella,' she said hesistantly. '... the little furry animal you probably just saw was my very good friend, Zorro. My faithful companion.'

Expectantly, she looked at him. He was quite nice to look at, he had a kind face. Rafaella surpressed a smile. She was not sure what he wanted ... or not.

Anonymous

Nathaniel couldn't believe his ears. It's not dead? How does she know? What did it do to her... His fist clenched at the thought. Rafaella, thats a nice name. He thought to himself. He stood for a moment, unsure of his next move. He wasn't used to being around other humans, they tended to set him off balance. He stood for a moment, lost in his own thoughts about the.. whatever it was that he had defeated. Or at least had thought he defeated. He met her gaze again to ask her how she new that it wasn't dead- And suddenly found his tongue stuck in to the roof of his mouth. He hadn't quite realized how beautiful she was, the adrenaline of battle had caused him to focus on other things. Come on Nath, don't lose your head now, it's to late for that. He cleared his throat with an uncomfortable cough, and began weakly:

"Uhm... uh, excuse me, but do you happen-"

"Heeeeeeeey! Looks like you got it all sorted out already eh Nate?"  Chip dropped from a nearby tree to land on Nathaniel's shoulder. "Wow, she's just a pretty up close as she is far away. Nice ta meet ya lady, My name is Chip, a proud member of the elite squirrel Ranger core." He paused and winked at Rafaella. "And this silent lug here is Nathaniel. I try to keep him out of trouble, but he's a bit of a dunce you see, and even though I do my best he always lands into some kind of a jam."  

Nathaniel groaned inwardly. As if I couldn't drive her away on my own. I have an obnoxious squirrel to help me. Why do I keep him around anyway? He grabbed Chip by the tail, and bowed hastily to Rafaella.

"Well uhm, I'm happy I could be of some assistance to you, and I hope you fare well in any travel you undertake, but we really must be off you see... uhm...we need to collect some berries for dinner tonight." Chip gazed at him in surprise.

"But Nath, we gathered those just this mor- mmmfffmm"  Nathaniel quickly clasped his other hand over Chip's mouth, and began to back away.

"It was nice to meet you Miss... Rafaella, I really do hope you have a good day, I really must be off now though, safe travels! Take care!"

Nathaniel turned and began to move quickly through the foliage, using his clothes to help him blend in. Chip gazed at him in disbelief, and motioned impatiently to the hand over his mouth. Nathaniel gingerly removed it, cringing as Chip let lose with a flurry of angry questions.

"What was that? Berries? Berries? Are you BRAINDEAD? That was your first chance at having a real human friend, and it was a pretty girl to boot! I honestly don't understand you sometimes Nath, it's like you want to be alone for the rest of your life!"

Nathaniel sat down after chip had finished, sitting underneath one of the many trees surrounding him.

"I don't know Chip, I just.... it's frightening, being around other people. -Especially- pretty ones. I feel out of place. I'm not as good as they are, I'm not handsome, or smart. I'm just..."

"Your just you, Nath. And thats not a bad thing. You gotta get to being ok with who you are. If you don't like yourself, no-one else will either... Did you hear something?"

Nathaniel jumped to his feet, once more notching an arrow.

"I did... act scare Chip."

"Sure thing." Chip scampered into the trees, keeping a watchful eye on Nathaniel. Nathaniel carefully concealed himself in his surroundings. Whatever you are, if you mean any harm, your about to have a very bad day.

Anonymous

Rafaella couldn't resist a smile when the little clothed squirrel with the miniature bow started talking to her in a charming but hyperactive kind of way. Cute animal, though. Zorro seemed to be a bit annoyed by his activity, but not bothered in any other way. Zorro was more of the easy-going thing. But then something changed in the man. He sort of started murmuring the words and his cheeks were reddening slightly. Rafaella frowned. What the heck was this all about?

Which was exactly the question she asked herself when he and Chip just ran off into the foliage, blending in with the colors perfectly. Rafaella blinked, but then decided to go after him. After all, he'd just saved her from a monstrous... thing, which would probably be back again, but that was not the point. He stood up for her while he could have run away. And that little squirrel of his seemed to disagree with him about leaving her so quickly. Rafaella pushed aside the branches and stepped in the bushes, still soaking wet and shivering from the cold water that drowned her in her clothes. After some minutes of walking and guessing which direction would be right, Rafaella found herself looking at the point of an arrow about two inches away from her face. She traced it back to the hands of the man who'd just saved her and who looked incredibly shocked now, as if he didn't now what he'd done. He lowered the bow with an incredulousl look on his face, and Rafaella suddenly felt a wave of laughter well up in her belly. The stress of the past few hours had taken some toll, and now this ridiculous situation. Laughing, she made a gesture towards the man not to take notice of her, but then the squirrel landed on the man's back, causing him to collide with her and both of them fell to the ground, Rafaella backwards and the man forwards, half on top of her. And of course, this was another hilarious situation. I mean, a squirrel bumping into one's back, the falling down right on top of the girl standing in front of him and the cliche embarrassed laughter from Rafaella's side. She grinned.

'Are you okay?' she asked him.

Anonymous

"Does an ok person want to jump onto a nearby sharp object?"  

Why is my life like this? It's like I'm just some pawn in a cruel writer's imagination...
Nathaniel scrambled to get off the the woman, quickly returning to his sitting position by the tree, his face already a bright crimson at the girl's laughter. He tilted his head to one side, addressing a still giggling Chip.

"Next time you fall from a tree laughing, please do it someone else."

Chip stuck his tongue out and did a mock salute. "Why would I want to do that? No-one else is as much fun as you."

Nathaniel scowled at him in disapproval for a few moments, before turning back to the girl and attempting to speak to her.  "So... uhm... why are you.. here? I mean- you can go now. Not that I'm saying you have to! It's just... I would think you would want to get back to your family or something... uhm..... did I already tell you my name?? It's Nathaniel... nice to meet you."  

On the inside, Nathaniel wished he could disappear. He saw the mirth building again in Chip's eye at his floundering attempt at conversation and sent him a murderous glare. I guess I can't just run away from her now... I might actually hit her if she pulls that again. Why? Why me... Chip scurried up to his shoulder, whispering in his ear as if he knew his thoughts.

"You know, most people wouldn't consider having a beautiful woman chasing them a bad thing."  Nathaniel jerked in reaction to what he said, before he realized Chip was just being his impish self. He whispered back furiously;

"Your a monster Chip, you know that? A monster."

"But I'm cute, so I can get away with it."

Nathaniel couldn't stay mad at him for long... hey, he was cute after all. The both grinned for a moment at each other. Then Nathaniel remember the girl. Stang. What am I going to do about her?? He turned towards her, managing to half mumble;

"So... what do you intend on doing now?"