Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The path less taken (Shizzy the mean slave driving face)

Started by Anonymous, May 08, 2008, 12:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Cerenis had been nice and rather beautiful. And the ports had such wonderful supplies coming in. But after awhile, Linia's feet had gotten antsy. She wanted to see the rest of the world. Find new ingredients for her alchemy.

And so now she was out hiking in the forests that covered the Terrin Mountains. It was rather pleasant so far, though there were some clouds on the horizon that worried her. Linia was not really much of an outdoors woman. She tried to be, but she tended to fail rather spectacularly at it.

So far, things seemed to have gone well. Her large bag was getting heavier with new finds. There were so many interesting things out in the world. Though so far, everything she had found her was rather ordinary. Which wasn't bad, just not very exciting.

The girl wiped her arm across her forehead, looking around for a place to take a rest. Maybe have her lunch.

Anonymous

The path had become a whole lot more rough than she could have expected. Then again, not a lot of roads probably went up a mountain did they? She couldn't be sure, but she was almost positive there was nothing but dragons up in the snowy peaks. They had loved that place, hadn't they? Well, she would be very careful to avoid such things, things that could ear her whole if they so chose to.

Right now she could travel through the deliciously cool forest. Not many paid much heed to her however, she was so short, but in this thicket of greens and browns, she stuck out like a sore thumb. Mostly because she was pink. Now, the Drow would often call humans pink bags and what not, but she was truly pink, not that delightful peachy colour humans had, but honest pink. Almond coloured eyes stared through the forest as she walked, leaving cloven hoof prints in her wake as she did so.

There was no hurry at this time, and she wasn't being chased. At least, she didn't believe she was. The small creature had unusually large ears, ones that stuck up almost a foot over her head, and they started on the side just like any other Fae, but...moved upward and ended in a very long sharp point. She could pick up sounds for miles around if she wanted to. As always she chose the lighter clothing, that allowed more freedom for herself.

Stretchy white shirt that clung to her body, outlining her petite figure. The sleeves travelling right down to her wrists which were covered by a small pair of black fingerless gloves, leather of course. A pair of slim  black shorts that ended at her knees, and of course no boots. Heavens no! That would slow her down, besides, she couldn't walk on hot coal in boots, but with her hooves she could go almost anywhere.

Something caught her attention however, something odd. Breathing. There wasn't a voice to it, but something was odd about it. It sounded large...and...she wasn't sure what the forest was saying about it. She had lost contact with trees long ago, so she would have to concentrate real hard to hear what they wanted to say.

Ah!

A person. It was a person!

The pink skinned woman suddenly darted off, moving fast as she hurdled over roots, fallen logs, and any other debris that might slow her down. She was a curious sort, and someone alone in the woods usually meant a lot of trouble.

Nothing she couldn't handle though.

She quickly came upon the supposed intruder. It looked just like a somewhat tired young woman. Well, she couldn't let the strange woman catch her, so she would do her best to hide in the tree line, but even still...pink amongst green wasn't hard to spot. She would have to stay near the trunk so she could hide behind it.

Anonymous

Sitting under the large tree, her bag to her side, Linia was feeling much better. She shouldn't have worn long sleeves for her trip. The mountains were very lovely though. Despite not having found anything, she was still enjoying herself.

Taking a water bottle out of her bag, she took a long drink, looking around her at the tree line. And noticed the splash of bright pink. Which made her lower the bottle, studying it a little closer. How...weird.

The alchemist didn't look like much. She was rather sweaty after her hike and being a bit on the pudgy side of things never helped with that. She brushed a loose strand of hair out of her face, "Um...hello?"

Maybe it was just a plant of something and she was making herself look really stupid talking to thin air?

Standing, she set her bottle down and moved closer, trying to get a better view.

Anonymous

At first she thought she was safe, she was good at hiding herself when she needed to, despite the pink. However, this was not one of those days. No trees were really in bloom, there were no apple trees blossoming pink flowers, nothing of the sort. She...She was in a lot of trouble then wasn't she?

And that of course is when the strange person spoke, which made the young pink woman freeze up completely.

Uh oh.

With a quick movements of branches she was suddenly off, moving to jump around the woman, quite a bit back from her. She might as well show herself right. She kept a good distance away from the woman, keeping a close eye on her. She had her bow and arrow out, the special arrows already nocked and ready to fire. She kept it held low though, she didn't want to shoot the woman unless she had to.

"Who are you and what are you doing?" The woman's voice was quick and irritable, it may have been very high b ut it was trying to have a sort of commanding undertone to it. Like a small princess trying to order people about. Adorable and hilarious at the same time.

Anonymous

The quick moving creature got a gasp out of Linia as she moved past her. The alchemist stumbled as she turned to try and follow the movement. Quick and graceful were not really high on anyone's list for describing the girl.

Seeing the bow and arrow made her freeze. Linia wasn't much of a combatant and she had foolishly left her potions in her bag. And she had dealt with enough strange creatures that she didn't write the....flamingly pink tiny person off as harmless just because she looked and sounded rather adorable.

Instead she lifted her hands, trying to look harmless. Which for Linia, really wasn't hard. Despite her sturdy frame the alchemist wasn't very intimidating. Even under her light tan, she had the slightly sickly tint to her skin that most Necromantians had. And there was nothing forceful about her, "M-my name is Linia Lan'gressa. I-I'm just an alchemist. I was just l-looking for supplies."

She pointed over to her bag, "Really. I-I wouldn't hurt you."

Anonymous

Well, at least she was well defended against the somewhat harmless opponent. Maybe all harmless. She hadn't seen a weapon on her at this point and didn't think she could have been a mage but...she had been wrong before really. Personally she thought she looked intimidating, what with the speed and the weapons, nor did she know that she had an unusually high voice which, even when trying to sound intimidating sounded kind of...cute.

She hated that sort of thing.

She was fierce darn it! She could move really fast, shoot her bow on the run, and even cut people quickly. Yet her pink skin, high voice, and rather...petite stature just made her seem very...adorable. She could remember elves teasing her and some trying to make her feel like a child, which she so wasn't.

"Hmph. I've heard that line before." Slowly, keeping the bowstring drawn tight she inched over to the bag to look at it for a moment. Filled with roots and other things then. Alright. It looked packed a little full. Slowly the arrow was put back into her quiver and the bow was strapped around her body. "I thought you might have been harming the forest, but you don't seem like someone who would...I suppose you can go free." She gave a flick of her wild pink hair, running a hand up to it and trying to give it a bit of a fluff.

"I'm Fyuni."

Anonymous

Along with roots and clippings, the bag was filled with carefully packed with lots of slender glass vials. Which were in turn filled with all manor of strange potions, most of which were as vividly colored as the tiny pink girl was.

Linia was mostly just confused and just a little worried. She had no idea to what to make of the tiny, cute and slightly terrifying pink thing. Though pert of her was rather intrigued by her. Strange creatures always interested the alchemist.

But for now, her caution won out and she nodded her head, reaching a hand up to tuck a loose strand of thick hair behind her ear, "Um. Yes. It is nice to meet you, Fye-oni." The strange name rolled awkwardly off the girls tongue, "And I don't want to hurt the forest."

Anonymous

Well, at least she didn't appear to have any real weapons on her, but hey, in the very least she had a lot of colourful things. Good colourful things. Though the potions were a tad worrisome. Potions always were. Who knew what they could do right? However, she was rather sure this meek woman wasn't much of a fighter at this point. She seemed way too...something.

"No. Not Fye-oni. Fee-uni. Fyuni. Try and get that right." She had just told her it. She shouldn't have to sound it out for her now! She got her name right didn't she? Linia. Yes. That's the woman pronounced it. Well. She stuttered a lot however. So it was more like L-li-lin-lin-Linia.

At least she knew she was scared! And she should be, she was in the presence of Fyuni, Nomadic Quickling Defender! It must have looked odd to see Fyuni suddenly puff out her chest and try and look very prideful, but of course she was just shy of four feet tall so it must have been...something alright.

"So what kinda potions do you make? You people are always talking about love potions and potions to make people stronger and to cure diseases but the last time I tried a potion it made me sick." Fyuni stuck out her tongue and made a face of disgust as she thought about it. It had not been good at all! However that was probably better than how she heard most of the people ending up, unconscious and what not. No telling what sick things could happen when a deplorable sort of person knocked you out.

Damn...humans.

Anonymous

If Linia could have heard the quicklings thoughts, she might have been slightly less confused. But as it was she just stared at the tiny, strutting creature. And really tried hard to not think about how adorable she looked. Because she was armed and probably mush more dangerous then Linia was.

"Fee-uni. Fyuni." Linia tried the name again and it came out much better this time, with just a slight accent to it, "Yes. Alright. It is...um...nice to meet you."

The alchemist had to keep reminding herself that Fyuni was dangerous. And it was a very bad idea to hug the tiny pink girl. No matter how adorable she looked and sounded. But the pink hair and skin just made Linia think of candy.

At the question, Linia glanced over at her bag, "Oh, I don't know how to make a love potion. I don't think anyone can make a real one. I've made one once that can make people attracted to you. But it makes everyone of your species attracted. So it was a bit of a frailer..."

She was rambling now. That wasn't good. The girl blushed, chewing nervously on her lip, "Um...yes. Potions. That I have. I have lots. I do have some that make you stronger. I'm not as good at healing potions though. You need to have healing magic for most of those..."

Anonymous

"Yes. Fyuni. Just like that." Hmph, calling her that other name. That was just impolite! She had heard the name! Bah. Humans or...whatever Linia might be. There were too many creatures that LOOKED like humans but turned out to be other things. Shape shifters, Were people, vampires...all of those nasty things usually.

Fyuni looked rather....well her cheeks had gone a much darker pink as she stamped her cloven foot on the ground. "Do I look like someone who is having trouble attracting people! I don't need some potion!" That blush was just as deep as she turned her back to the woman, her ears flicking back in mild anger. How dare she suggest such a thing!

"Well," Finally her blush was under control and she turned back to face the alchemist. "I can't say I have much need for potions or anything. I don't get sick much or injured. Much too fast for that! And I'm plenty strong you know!" She snapped as she eyed the woman carefully. She couldn't be dangerous could she.

"So, where are you from anyway? You just come from one of those human settlements close by?" She...well she liked the towns in a way. They were so...big and so interesting. So many people and races. However, she sometimes got...odd stares. She thought it meant...those stares...er...at first she thought it was because of her colours but then...some were looking at...parts of her instead.

She wasn't ignorant of...what they wanted but some were very...well...tall.

Anonymous

Linia tried to follow along with the quicklings rapid chatter. The alchemist wasn't really used to anyone like this and she was socially awkward at the best of times. Let alone when some sweet colored fae creature in rather clingy clothing lectured her.

At the mention of the love potion again, Linia turned almost as pink as Fyuni and her stammer made a comeback, "Oh! Oh no...I didn't mean that....I'm sure you wouldn't need one. You...I....no! I just...I just meant that I had made one like that. N-not that you needed it. You're very pretty. I'm sure lots of people like you."

Oh Goddess. She was making a mess of this. But that wasn't all that new for Linia. Though the added worry she might end up shot did make her extra nervous.

"I-I'm sure you are very strong. And fast. I w-would never try and say you weren't. M-my potions are generally for people less im-mpressive then you are."

The alchemist just blushed harder as her ears went a bright red color. She rally just needed to shut up. Stop rambling. But words just kept coming out of her mouth, "I-I have been staying in Cerenis. B-but I'm from much farther away. I've been looking f-for new ingredients for potions. Which is why I came up here. I-I'm from Necromantia."

Linia was learning that most people didn't have a very good idea of what Necromantia was like. They seemed to think everyone was a necromancer, zombies and skeletons danced through the streets and human sacrifice was preformed before every meal.

Anonymous

You had to be rather quick to keep up with Fyuni. Her race wasn't called 'Quickling' for nothing after all. A big part of their lives were spent at fast speeds, slowing down for only a select few things that they chose.

"Well, that goes without saying of course." She called her pretty. It made her try and fluff her hair up again, preening herself. She took pride in her appearance after all. Not a speck of dirt or blob of sap on sight, on her or her clothes for that matter. Though, they were a little wrinkled of course. As for the popular part, she didn't have friends so to speak. Moved around too much, and not a lot of people kept up with her.

"Ah, this is probably true. The lesser mortals have to make do with what they can get." She was immortal after all. So to speak. That always confused her. Time was the only thing that couldn't kill her, while arrows, swords, and magics could. That didn't really say immortal did it? That more or less said age-less. She liked Time-Free better. Yes. Free of the constraint and bondage of time. Hah.

Fyuni could care less about where she had really come from. Necromantia wasn't all that bad. The general population wasn't ALL necromancers after all, some probably didn't even dabble in it. Of course, it was a safe haven for the undead, but this woman looked alive. She didn't much except her to start killing trees and such. Why would she? That would be just plain rude and mean spirited. And this...this woman looked anything but that. Considering that she was stammering a lot.

Like...a lot.

"If you're looking for some good plants, I can perhaps show you to a place near here that you might be interested in." The chattering of the trees had become much stronger now that she had stopped moving around. It had been just hushed whispers zipping by her ears, but now she could clearly hear them. That was good. They were nice trees. "It's just over this way. I'll even be nice enough not to run there." Knowing that the woman probably couldn't keep up with her. Fyuni was actually going to be slow for a change. Hah! For the time being. She loved to move fast. To have the wind about her, whipping around her, while the world became a blur.

Good fun!

"You might even be able to make a speed potion with some of these ingredients so you can keep up. Come on!" Fyuni may have been short, but she was proportionate, so her strides were rather good, she walked almost as fast as a human did, though, that was probably also thanks to being a Quickling.

Anonymous

At least the quickling wasn't talking a mile a minute anymore. And she seemed to have liked Linia's comment about her appearance. That was good. Very good. The alchemist let out a small breath, relaxing a bit. She hadn't even realized how tense she had been. But it didn't look like the adorable pink girl.

Who just looked even cuter when she stood there preening. Linia just wanted to hug her. She was just so bitty and pink and well, just.....adorable. She was like some walking, talking, armed confectionery.

Linia lit up at the mention of plants. She was always excited by the chance to experiment with new ingredients. She moved over to get her bag, hefting the rather heavy sack with a practiced ease. It wouldn't be so bad back at home. But she didn't really have a place to keep her supplies anywhere but on her. Which did limit what she could keep on her. If she got as much as she was hoping today, she was going to have to send another package back home.

Smiling shyly at the pink quickling and desperately trying to not think about how cute the tiny creature was, Linia nodded, "Yes please. I would really love it if you could show me those plants."

A speed potion? Maybe. She hadn't made one in ages. And she hadn't really been very pleased with her result. But it was time to give it another stab. Though who knew if she could even make one that let her keep up with such a fast creature.

Anonymous

Fyuni didn't WANT to slow down everything she did, it felt wrong, like she was just...ergh, stuck in a bunch of molasses. Talking so slow so the flustered woman could keep up with her. Bah. She might have had a whole lot more to say had she knew that the woman thought she was adorable. That was not what she was aiming for! A lot of her people had gone to a darker side of life, while she wanted to wander and adventure, and so she was going for a serious adventurer look. Sadly she looked more like a cute lost pink thing.

"Well follow follow follow then!" With that she began to march off. The Quickling kept one hand on her bow, just in case she needed to draw it again. Her large ears twitched as she listened for any thing that she might need to be alerted to, like someone ambushing her even. However, there wasn't really anything for her to be worried about at this time, they seemed rather safe. Though she still didn't trust the woman.

But, she wasn't going to be too much trouble.

"Hmm...thiiiiiis....no...that way." For a moment she might have been going left, but abruptly headed right. The sounds of water could be heard soon. There was a decent sized creek that was flowing down through some large rocks, creating a ten foot waterfall perhaps. The basing was crystal clear, one could see right down to the rocky bottom even in the dim light of the forest.

Fyuni knelt by the basin, to where a tree was growing over and began to pick some strange little flowers that were creeping up the side of the tree. They were purples and pinks, and had a slight glow to them. The Quickling also tore off a bit of a strange blue moss that was growing near the base of the young tree.

"Here we go! Mm. I do love the moss, it's delicious, makes me feel better too. The flowers don't do much for me, but in animals I've seen 'em all run fast and become very hyper from the pants. You might be able to do something with them!"

Anonymous

Linia wasn't very graceful moving through the forest. Nothing about the short, sturdy girl made one think of elegance or speed. And it wasn't easy to follow the tiny pink girl. Even slowing to a more 'normal' speed, she was still rather fast moving.

Luckily, she was rather hard to lose. Bright, vivid pink tended to stick out next to the trees. Linia readjusted her bag, keeping up as best she could. The alchemist sent up a short mental prayer that the plants the quickling was going to show her really were new and exciting.

"So....um. Are you from this forest then? Or are you just passing through?" Linia had never been great with people. She got too nervous. But she didn't like the silence. It made her nervous as well.

Though she stopped part way into her next question as they arrive at the waterfall. It was breathtaking.  She just stood there a moment, taking the view in. When the small pink girl drew her attention again, she moved closer, reaching over to take the moss and the flower.

"Hmmm. That's really interesting." Linia sat down, her attention focused on the new plants. She turned the flower over, carefully studying it, "I hope it's not poisonous."

Anonymous

She moved so silently, her strange race allowed her to do this.  What was it about her though? The cloven feet perhaps? Maybe it was the fact she was so small, or perhaps just an innate ability in her people. It was really hard to say. What was easy to say was that she wasn't too fond of Linia for taking so long! She was sure that she had slowed herself down enough. It soon became apparent that it wasn't exactly true however. The young girl was lagging behind now, and that was an annoyance.

However...could she really blame her? She was only human after all, and they weren't known for being the quickest creatures. At least not without magical enhancements, and this girl did not seem to really have that sort of thing to her.

"Not here, Draconi, didn't stay around there much, no point, too much to do, too much ground to cover, that sort of thing." Fyuni said with a quick smile as she strode a little bit faster for a moment when they entered the glade, demonstrating her point. Maybe they moved that fast for a reason, so that they could cover as much ground as they wanted.

Fyuni was rather proud for herself that the woman hadn't seen these flowers before. "Well they're not poisonous for me, and I've seen some humans use these before too so they can't be bad for your people either could they?" Fyuni smiled a little as she dashed up the side of the small tree and positioned herself on a tree branch. She started to pluck some small berries, they were violet in colour and they seemed to be part of a small vine that was growing around the branch of the tree.

"Catch! These are just delicious, very sweet! Dunno if they can do much else, but they probably could help with energy problems! Not poisonous either!" At least, once more, not for animals and for Quicklings. Humans had such strange constitutions, so little damaged their bodies!

Anonymous

Linia was rather impressed at how agile the tiny girl was. She seemed to move with such an easy grace, so unlike the clumsy human. Linia took a few more of the flowers Fyuni had showed her, bundling them together and finding the right spot for them in her bag. Then the moss followed.

Once she had gotten herself a supply to mess with later at her leisure, she pulled out a thick, battered note book and a writing tool. And made a careful note in the notebook, detailing her new find, "You don't happen to know if these have a name, do you?"

It was all so exciting! If Fyuni was right, she might actually be able to make some sort of decent speed potion. And that would help fund her little adventure on the continent a bit longer. And the moss might have healing effects. Healing potions were always in high demand. But most needed healing magic of some sort to work.

Linia took a bit more of the moss, sniffing it lightly. She would have to try some. See what happened. Then the quickling had drawn her attention upwards, to where she sat on a tree branch. Looking rather cute and childlike, making the alchemist smile. She held her skirt out, catching the berries Fyuni threw down, "Ah! Thank you. They're very pretty."

Picking one berry up, Linia studied it a moment, shrugged and took a bit. Then covered her mouth with her hand, "Oh! My! You weren't kidding when you said it was sweet!"

Anonymous

"Why would I need to know the name? I know what the flower looks like, and what the moss looks like. If I wanted you to find the moss, I'd ask you to look on the small oak trees near the water for the blue moss." That wasn't so difficult? The trees had a name, they all had names, and they needed them, but flowers and moss for her were...just that. Flowers and moss. A quick description would be all they needed.

Humans just loved to name things though. They always wanted to have names for things. It was so very silly. It was odd that Fyuni, a creature who moved so fast, wouldn't have enjoyed using names, which would cut down on time considerably. Then again, she talked so fast that saying the name and using a description probably didn't matter.

"If you really need names for them, I think I remember hearing some humans call the blue moss 'Indigo Sea Moss' and the flowers were....were..." Fyuni put a finger to her chin and she seemed to be concentrating for a moment as she thought on the name of the flowers. "Artherias Blooms." The young Quickling nodded right after she said the name. "Yes. That was the name. Atherias Blooms." Or something along those lines. The humans had called them something or other like that.

At least she seemed to like the berries. Fyuni gave a small giggle as Linia tried the berry. "I warned you!" Fyuni popped a berry in her mouth and chewed, enjoying the sweet flavour. She jumped down in front of Linia and brushed some of the moss from her clothes. She had always been told to keep her clothes clean. She wasn't even sure why she needed them! Humans were all about shame and hiding their bodies, but they were the most natural things in the world.

She had quickly learned to obey the human rules when near their towns.

"There, now you have some new things to try out! Though, I would like to see what result you make with them!"

Anonymous

As the quickling rapidly spoke, Linia did her best to keep up, jotting the names she gave into the notebook, "Names can make it easier to refer to things. So I don't have to call you the...er....small, pink, very fast moving girl in the forest. I can just call you Fyuni." Linia smiled shyly at Fyuni. She was starting to get less nervous around her. It helped considerably that Fyuni didn't seem like she was going to kill her anymore.

After popping another berry and this time prepared for the sweetness, Linia leaned back against the tree, sticking her legs out in front of her. She had pulled her skirt up to about her knees, hoping to get a bit of sun on her legs. Her face and arms had managed to pick up the slightest of tans, but the rest of her didn't see sun very much. And it was almost blindingly pale. And much to Linia's annoyance, she never seemed to get that beautiful porcelain skin. Hers just looked sickly and sallow, like everyone else on her islands.

She startled a little when Fyuni dropped down, but she quickly returned the girls smile. Though it took an iron will to not huggle the crap out of the pink fea when she giggled. She was just so tiny and adorable! Like a fast moving doll! Cuuute!

"It shouldn't take me very long to make a potion. I'll just have to figure out what I have that will go best with the moss and the flowers. Wouldn't do to put the wrong ingredient with it and have someone's heart explode."

The alchemist twirled the flower in her fingers, half staring at it, half lost in her  thoughts for a moment. After a moments debate, she lifted the flower to her lips and took a delicate bit, separating the bud from the stem. She was going to have to try it anyway. And maybe she could follow Fyuni's rapid movements and speech if she was hyper.

Anonymous

"Well that's good because I wouldn't respond to such a name. I was given a name, feel free to call me it." Fyuni told her with a shake of her head. She wouldn't have told Linia her name if she didn't want her to call her that! Duh! Now this girl just wasn't thinking now was she? Well, she at least could create those fabulous potions and what not. She must have had had some intelligence then!

"You don't get a lot of sun do you?" Fyuni was right there, crouched down and poking Linia's strange white legs. So bright. She wasn't sure she had seen legs so white! Her people were usually pinkish, some were blues and what not...the elves were always tanned to that right degree and all...the Drow were...well ashen grey and what not. But these! These legs were so white and...white...just...odd really! "You need to just sit in the sun for a few hours tanning!" Nothing better than lying out in the sun and enjoying it! Of course, you couldn't really see her tan, but if she got burnt her skin went quite a lot darker.

"Oh that would probably be bad wouldn't it? Just like watching a person's heart beat like a hummingbird." That thought actually sort of made her giggle. Just watching some large human running around flapping his arms before keeling over. Well. Maybe the dying part wasn't as funny but the parts leading up to it however...that would be kinda funny!

It was probably best not to have that happen to someone.

Fyuni moved more to the sun to sprawl out in it, her arms and legs spread out so she could let the sun fall down on her. "Tell me what happens then! I'm gonna just get a little sun. Probably need the sun anyway, been travelling a lot by night." It was safer for her. At least during the night she wasn't THAT hard to spot. Today though she had to travel by day, it was much smarter when you got closer to the mountains. No telling what was out there, she hadn't been near this place before.

"Maybe then we'll be able to race! You probably wouldn't be able to win though, no haste potion can really match a Quickling's speed."