Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Aimless Wandering (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, January 23, 2009, 06:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Celine was so tired, but she was sure she would never sleep again. She hadn't slept for more than a few hours a day since the fire, and that was a year ago today. She suspected her former lover of starting the fire, but had no proof of such a thing. They had parted on good terms, or at least he had seemed friendly enough. The only thing she really knew was that her parents, brothers, and sisters were gone and she alone had survived.

Well, she knew more than that, really. She knew she wanted to get as far away from Adela as possible, but she didn't know where to settle. But that would take care of itself in time. At least here seemed nice enough to take a break. She sat down on the sand near the ocean and dipped her feet in the water.

Celine shivered in the cold sea air, but nothing was going to make her warm except a fire. She knew that, yet she couldn't bring herself to make one, even if it was controlled. Not after what it had done to her family. Besides, she couldn't even see any sticks lying around. So she wrapped her cloak more tightly about herself and stared out into the distance, focusing on nothing in particular.

Lion

Upon the horizon was the silhouette of the Eternal Rose against the fading sunlight.  The Tuor Ocean was more serene than Willem had last remembered it, but that changed nothing as he set to take anchor at the shore.  There was a little inlet in which seemed suitable to anchor in and stretched a few miles long the shoreline.  While the Eternal Rose was indeed a merchant ship, it was not one of those large schooners that could easily get caught by pirates flying their infamous Jolly Roger flags.  The two mast size of the ship kept it small and nimble, easily sailing wherever the wind guided its sails.

After taking anchor in the small makeshift harbor, Willem ordered a third of his crew to scavenge what supplies they could find around the nearby wilderness to add to their personal supply or cargo.  The other two thirds were to remain on the ship to keep a look out for other ships in the area as well as to guard it from any harm.  Willem himself decided to take a much needed stroll upon the shore.  Stroking his fingers through his crimson hair and well-groomed beard/mustache combo, he knew that spending too much time upon the water would no doubt make his mind forget the wonderful stability that was the earth.

Latching on his favored brown cloak that was as much filled with sea salt as his clothes, he took off from the one of the row boats and down the shoreline.  Still, for all the time he spent at sea, his legs still wobbled a little, unaccustomed to the ground.  It took about a half-mile walk to adjust himself and he waited by the water, enjoying the view of a dying sun.  The wind swept at his browned face and through his garb, giving him the appearance of a victorious pirate.  But perhaps that wasn't far from the truth...

However, he didn't notice the woman behind him that had probably been staring at him the whole time he was looking out to sea.  Feeling the hair on his neck perk up from the feeling of a presence, Willem slowly turned and saw her.  As if he wasn't so surprised, he carefully jested, "And I thought I was all alone on the beach."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"So did I, sir," she said, giving him as much of a smile as a person shivering with cold could muster. "If you don't mind, could you tell me where I could rest for awhile? It's quite cold here. Nice, but cold, and I haven't had a decent rest in so long that I can't remember when the last time was." Celine knew a bed probably wouldn't help her sleep better, but at least it would keep her warm. Only after this thought did Celine realize how whiny she must sound.

"Oh, excuse my complaining!" she said, blushing. Standing up and dusting as much of the sand off of her clothes as possible, she curtsied to the man, ladylike. "If I should expect you to help me, I should at least give you my name, should I not? My name is Celine Domremy...."

She almost added "of Adela," but that wasn't really true anymore, and she couldn't really think of anything else to add. "I'm looking for a place to live," she said, just so the sentence was finished. "My home was burned."

Her voice was completely flat. She wasn't telling him to get pity, but thought he might as well know the facts if he was going to help her. Surprisingly, her throat didn't constrict and her eyes didn't well up with tears when she said it. She supposed she'd said it so many times over the past year that she was immune to it.

Then why couldn't she ever sleep?

The fire, she convinced herself. Thoughts of the fire. Thoughts of how close it had been to burning her up. She'd been alone so long that she was used to being without her family now. That was what she had told herself every day for a year now.

But was it the truth?

Lion

He couldn't believe it, really.  How often was it that an ordinary person was walking along the beach and practically had someone sneak up on them?  Well, then again, he'd invaded her space as much as anything else.  But it still creeped him out despite the technicalities.  Where one wandered aimlessly would lead them to trespass on another's property one way or another.

Willem held his chin carefully, listening and pondering as to just how she expected him to use this information.  So she was a helpless damsel, eh?  He hadn't come across one of these...well, since that one day in Arca...  And that was ancient history.  The question of whether or not he would help her lingered in his brain like a lone worm hanging on a fishing line waiting for a fish to make a grab for it.

But while most scoundrels would attempt to take advantage of this kind of situation, especially if they hadn't been with a woman in some time, Willem was a different kind of scoundrel.  With his sharp and shrewd mind, Willem was like other commanders of merchant ships and supplier of goods; he knew how to bargain and bargain well.  His keen brain, for all its young years, was rather skilled in the ways of negotiation and persuasion.  It was this mindset to drive a hard bargain that gained him a reputation to fellow traders that he was thrice more likely to cheat them out on a deal before their eyes than to wine and dine them for it.

Overall, however, Willem was still quite a gentleman and just wasn't going leave her to her own devices.  "I see," he nodded in understanding.  "But there's a little problem with your...er, problem.  You see, there isn't a town around here for at least another hundred days' walk in any direction.  And even if you did happen to find civilization, it's not likely you'll find many people with a...generous and open heart.  You'd just as soon get robbed or raped than be let into a stranger's home."  A faint smile touched his lips and he folded his arms over his chest.

"But luckily for you Miss Domremy, you came across me, the honorable Captain Willem Gurwulf, commandant of the merchant ship the Eternal Rose."  He bowed as well, somewhat extravagantly and rose to flash a congenial grin upon his browned face.  "Though you've plighted, you have my condolences.  I'd offer to help you find a place to stay but the nearest thing to civilization you'd find is my ship down the coastline here."  He pointed down the beach to the small image of a ship docked in the inlet and the few rowboats that had taken a third of the crew ashore.  He saw as well the sight of a few of them already bringing supplies and loading them into a few of the crates on the sand.

"Perhaps, it's not the best inn in the world, but maybe it's far more suitable than sulking in the sand.  I offer you temporary housing on my ship, Miss Domremy, if you're willing that is."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"It'd be better than sleeping on the sand tonight," she admitted. "I'd love to, but your men... I would hope, and yes I do mean hope, that they were all as good and honorable as you seem to be, Captain. But to automatically assume that they were would be stupid on my part. Don't get me wrong, I could hold my own if someone...well...tried something. I really could. But I don't want to knowingly put myself in danger, either."

There. Her only concern was out.

While she waited for him to ponder her question, it gave her time to study the man. He wasn't what she personally would call attractive, due to his ears, but his hair was an interesting color, a shade so red that it made her wonder if he had a temper. She had heard redheads had tempers, but hadn't met enough in her lifetime to be sure of it. And he had a tan so perfectly browned that it almost made up for those ears. She had to stifle a laugh at the thought of kissing a man with a beard too. But he was so nice, and the faint smile he gave her put her greatly at ease. She couldn't help but wonder what he thought of her, though. Or, especially, what his men would think. She brushed a few stray strands of dark brown hair out of her face and waited for his response.

Lion

Willem wasn't much of a womanizer.  Life in his eyes was only worth living as much as there was someone there to experience that life along with you.  But his light had died long ago and there was no one to blame but himself.  The letter had come too late they had said, that international communication was slower than the pony express without fault.  But he knew better; his own ignorance was the cause of her death...  If only...

He pushed the damaging thoughts from his mind, for there was a lady present and there was no need to immolate the remnants of his dignity to live.  In the moment of speech, he took the opportunity to size up this woman who would become a 'tenant' on his ship.  Sure, she was easy on the eyes, as anyone was who had a complete set of teeth and wasn't covered in slime, but she wasn't much that he would call astounding.  She was rather plain to look at with her dark eyes and darker hair.  Still, she mentioned that a fire had taken her home and just why such a thing would happen to someone utterly unremarkable was a prominent question in his mind.

He was sure she had her perks however, but there wasn't much that he could bother finding at the moment.  The matters at hand were far more important than wondering of the inner beauties of this woman.  There were ports to venture to, goods to drop off and sell.

"You're concern is noted, Miss Domremy.  But I can assure you they are quite a loyal crew and an order defied is a siphon for punishment.  A crew is only as honorable as the one who leads them and I will personally ensure your safety aboard.  You have my word as Captain."  He bowed once more with a hand over his heart and, upon rising, gestured toward the rowboats.  "We're just about ready to ship off now.  Would you come along?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She nodded and followed him. "And, Captain, if there's anything you would like me to help with, to earn my keep, I assure you that I am quite capable. I've done some cooking and cleaning in my time." It was true. Celine's family hadn't been dirt poor, but they hadn't been anything spectacular, either. Her father had been a furniture maker, and her mother had mostly been a housewife, occasionally doing some sewing for neighbor women when the need for extra money arose.

As she walked along the shore towards the ship, Celine would have been surprised to notice that most people ignored her presence, at least at first. However, she supposed they were really too busy loading supplies to notice her. For now, that was just fine. Most people who even noticed her weren't the type of people she wanted to be noticed by anyway.

That included...what was his name anyway? Her former love. She was relieved to discover that she had actually forgotten what his name was, even for just a moment.  But she would never forget what he had done to her and her family. Ever.

Lion

With a nod, the trek back began.  And during which Willem pondered just what tasks he would set up for Celine.  She was a guest, this much as true, but she would also be a voyager upon his ship and everyone pulled their own weight to best of their ability.  He wasn't much of a believer in special treatment unless previously discussed and all was understood.  He believed that to keep mutiny at its lowest was to make sure all of the crew was satisfied with the tasks about the ship and the rewards that went accordingly.  Special treatment created envy, jealousy would broil to anger, anger would lead to rebellion; as simple as that.

They had reached the boats in time for the ship off with Willem giving the orders with which one would board first.  Of course, he would get on last to better get the attention of his men and introduce Celine to the rest of the crew.  After all, what a surprise it would be to be working on a ship for years and suddenly to realize a woman whom summons little recognition was working alongside you.  What a revelation that would be!

Once aboard the Eternal Rose, its sides swaying gently against the calm waves of the Tuor Ocean, Willem signaled all of his crew to the fore and called to them, "Men, listen.  This woman here goes by the name of Celine Domremy and she will be housed upon this ship for short time.  Upon my orders, she is to be safe while aboard, protected by you and I.  That is all, resume you're tasks."

"Aye, sir," many of them said in unison and strode about the ship, pulling up the rowboats and taking up the anchor.  As habit would have it, a few of the men eyed Celine curiously and talked amongst themselves, questioning both Willem's motives and trying to figure just what to make of this situation.

Turning back to Celine, Willem smiled and asked, "Shall I show you about the ship?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

He was so friendly that Celine couldn't help smiling back. "Of course." She tried to ignore the talking of a few of the other sailors in the background and just concentrated on Willem. "Also, if you don't mind, could you tell me where we're headed? I'd like to know if I'd want to get off there."

Not that she'd probably want to leave right away. After all, she hadn't been on a ship before, at least not that she could remember. But she would have to get off sometime, and she knew that. Just as long as she didn't get off in Adela. There were too many memories there.

She was a little nervous about starting over on her own, though, even if she did try not to show it. One could not be tough forever, and although she dreaded it, Celine had to wonder just when she was going to crumble. Even though she hadn't needed to talk to anyone for a year, that was because there hadn't been anyone around to talk to. She just hoped she could show Willem and the crew that she was a strong woman, tough enough to catch any curveballs life threw at her.

Lion

"Sure," he nodded.  "I don't see why not.  We're currently on voyage to the sea port of Ainu in the Yoreiq Isles.  But if you would come with me this way."  Willem led her about the ship, first to bow, starboard and portsides, and stern, gliding along the deck with an unusual grace for a man of his stature.  When he had reached the cabins he led her below deck to the small mess hall and to the crew lodgings.  Of course, he showed her as well to the Captain's quarters and his office.

"There is a spare room in the crew lodgings if you would not mind taking one of those, but other than that, there is no where else you might stay.  And another thing that should be discussed is what type of work you'd like to do while aboard.  You've mentioned a few things earlier but I feel it is best to prove your worth your own way rather than me choosing a task for you.  So, tell me, what is it that you do best?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She nodded. "I'm not sure I'd want to get off there because there are a lot of storms. I'd hate to have to keep building and rebuilding my home." Then Celine thought carefully when Willem asked her what she was best at.

"Probably cooking," she answered honestly. "I had to help my mother a lot, being the oldest girl. My dad and my older brother used to keep score of who cooked the best meals. One night the winner would be me, another night it would be my mother. But when it came to certain things, I always won," she confided with a little wink. "I always know where the best herbs can be found to season bread and potatoes."

It was the first time since the fire that she could remember her family without tears, and although she did not quite smile, there was still a sparkle in her eyes. "You don't have to worry, sir, I will not poison your men." She had to wonder how long it had been since some of them had had a meal cooked by a woman. Maybe while she was still aboard this ship she would finally make some friends.

Before the fire, Celine hadn't been afraid of cooking, and she wasn't now, either, just extra careful. Even so, she still had eaten most of her meals raw before she had come upon the ship. Anyone else would probably say it was a miracle she wasn't dead after hearing about some of the things she'd eaten. But she tried to block that out of her mind for now, although she had to work hard, her brow furrowing in concentration.

Lion

"Ah, I see.  Then you'll do well.  Let us see Barto in the mess hall and he'll find a place for you there.  He's very friendly so you should get along just fine. Then I'll see to it that Fin gets your quarter set up by this evening."  The tour had taken a relatively short time and it was with this extra moment that Willem had caught glimpse of something sparkling in Celine's eyes.  Curiosity as to why such occurred grew inside him, but he could question her on that later.

"If you will continue," he said with a grin.  Propping his hands behind his back in a sophisticated manner, he led her back to the mess hall where a few members of the crew sat at the nailed tables enjoying what remained of their meals.  A large man, standing approximately at 6'5" and was a little barrel-like about his middle, stood at a smoking pot serving a strange soup to a few of the crew that walked by with their wooden bowls.

Pausing for a moment, he turned to her before approaching Barto.  "I hope you don't take this the wrong way but because you're the only woman aboard, I'm going to have you're room completely private.  Only you are allowed in there.  Well, there's Barto over there, speak with him about the kitchen job and he'll have you start immediately.  The eating hour is almost over and the crew in here are about to change shifts with those on the deck so expect a rush soon.  If there's nothing else, I must return to the Captain's quarters."

[The members of the crew are pretty much NPC's so feel free to create any new mates that you feel can become Celine's friends]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"No, I shouldn't need anything until this evening, to be shown where my room is," she answered. She began chatting with Barto, who wanted to know the full extent of her skills, and she decided to show them off at dinner that evening.

Within a few hours, she had made what she considered to be one of her best meals not only for other people but for herself.  She had, after all, been eating berries and raw fish for almost a year. After taking stock of the available food, she decided on cooked fish with crunchy potato breading, with a loaf of fluffy brown bread seasoned with herbs she had found. As she tasted her creations to make sure they were just right, she hoped the men liked them as much as she did. It was so good to be able to eat real food again!

She'd had a little trouble getting used to cooking on the boat, but she wasn't sick at all. Just dizzy...a tiny bit. After she and the men had eaten she'd be sure to try and lie down. For now though, she was too excited to see the mens' opinions of her food. Especially the captain's.

Lion

"Alright then.  Proceed."  Willem nodded with a friendly grin.  With he twirled on his heel, brown cape flowing in unison, and glided down the hall toward his office.  When he reached it, he entered and closed the door behind him, unequipped his cloak and flung it on a nearby hook.  Willem's office had the look of a library that had been recently vandalized, for in locked cabinets were thrown books and clippings of scattered papers of various styles.  It was his own personal method of organization that certainly lacked a woman's touch but suited his needs when the moment was right.

There was a desk that presided in a corner of it, bolted to the wall as to keep it from moving about when a storm hit the Eternal Rose, as well as a chair that followed suit.  Everything that wasn't to be moved was bolted down, from the firing kiln to Willem's desk to the very benches that the crew sat on to eat their meals.  All containers had their seals and everything but the shipments to be made were created to stay in their places.  Sea-sickness was a common thing among novice seafarers, but Willem's men were professionals.

A knock resounded at the wooden door and with a quick, "Enter," a medium sized burly looking man did just that.  "You needed something, Captain?" said Fin, first mate and second-in-command of the crew.  He was a Hyoite native but had a taste for voyaging since the day he was born.  His face was as brown as the rest of the men aboard the ship with a fine shadow growing on his chin and his hair graying at the sides.  A set of wrinkles crunched the sides of his eyes and his narrow, squashed nose gave the look as if he'd been punched in the face too many times, which wasn't far from the truth.  Fin was a hardy fellow and most loyal member of the crew.

"Ah, Fin," Willem replied, looking up from his work.  "Yes, I need you to ready the spare room for our new guest, Miss Domremy, as she will be staying with us for a while."

"Uh, sir, if you don't mind such a question, but why suddenly did you take this stranger aboard?"

"I don't mind, Fin.  You see, though, I might be a merchant scoundrel, I'm not so much a blackguard as to leave a helpless woman stranded.  There are far worse things that would've happened to her if our ship hadn't anchored on that inlet when it did."

"I'm sorry, sir.  But I just was simply wondering why you would do such a thing.  For all the years that I have been a proud member of this crew...  Well, it just seems out of character."

"You're concern is noted, Fin.  But please respect your orders, you're one of the eldest of the crew and the one I respect the most.  Do what you've been told."  Willem's face was stern yet understanding.  Fin's own eyes could not be filled anything more than reluctant obedience.

"Aye, Captain."

~
The crew on deck quickly switched shifts with those who'd enjoyed their meal while Celine spoke to Barto.  His hearty laughter rang true through the mess hall.  "Well, I'll be.  So the Cap'm thought you'd be a good addition?  Well, I can't says no to the Cap'm.  Come with ol' Barto this a-way.  I'll show ya were we do things 'round here."

With a few smoking moments a meal was brewed and served to the resting men, each ravenously consuming the food like dogs that had been starved for days.  Whispers and murmurs began to arise from the crew as they ate.  Things like, "I've haven't had a meal this good in..."  and "Who cooked this?"  "Looks like Barto has a new apprentice..."  It seemed that in an instant Celine had become a pondering celebrity amongst the men of the Eternal Rose.

~
Another knock came a short while after Fin departed.  Coming in without reserve, Barto appeared with a small wooden tray in his hands, excusing himself with, "Excuse me Cap'm, just comin' in to serve ya meal.  I think ya might like this one exceptionally, well.  It's certainly not something we had in at least ten months."

Gazing at the cook quizzically, Willem grasped the tray and placed it before him.  He dove into the wondrous smells of well-cooked fish and bread, each complementing the other.  His senses immediately perked up when he took a bite, eyes widening and suddenly caught in the most peculiar euphoric state.  "Who made this?" he asked with sincerity.

As ever the modest Barto, he stated with a great grin on his face.  "Why, that new girl you've got down in the hall.  W'as 'er name?  Oh yeah, Celine.  She made it.  Quite well, done if I do say so myself."  He smiled proudly as if he taught her everything she knew.

"Tell her that I request to converse with her when the first shift are done taking their meal and are off to rest.  I must speak with her."

"Yes, Cap'm."  And with a nod and mocking salute, Barto set off toward the kitchen.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Celine ate almost as ravenously as the men did when it was her turn. It wasn't ladylike of her, but she could hardly have been blamed. Her meal the evening before the ship had found her hadn't been much to speak of. She'd had some berries, a raw fish, and an abandoned gull egg sucked out of the shell. There was nothing to drink, of course. The Tuor Ocean, like any ocean, was salt water.

When she heard the Captain wished to speak with her, she was very surprised, and she groaned inwardly because she was still dizzy and wanted to lie down, but she followed Barto where he led her.

"Yes, Captain?" she whispered meekly after knocking. "You wished to speak with me?" A wave of dizziness overtook her suddenly and she caught herself from falling by grabbing onto the doorframe. It was in this state that Willem would probably find her.

Lion

Willem occupied himself with carefully dissecting the meal he had been presented with by Barto who claimed Celine cooked it.  He simply couldn't believe his ears nor his tongue.  There was something unusual about the meal that made his spine tingle, it brought up questions in his mind that hadn't appeared in a long time.  Things that....well, they would be cleared up in a moment's notice as soon as Celine appeared through the doorway.

The ship tottered in the evening waters of the Tuor Ocean, quietly rocking the crew that finished their meals to sleep as they rested in their bunks while the other half hoisted the sails and let the night wind take the ship along its course due South. Willem, in his years, was like the crew in that he'd grown quite accustomed to motion of sea waves against the wooden ship.  It was quite a pleasant feeling when one got down too it, but it could feel as if the world were going to end to those who were yet to obtain their sea legs.

After a moment of waiting for a knock, Willem half expected Celine to have fallen from the sides for there was silence for a little more than a minute.  Yet just as he first got up from his desk it was then the sound of a knock against his door echoed.  Her voice was behind it, causing him to respond, "Please, Miss Domremy, come in."  He waltzed to the door rather gracefully despite the massive wave that hit the ship hard on it's starboard side.  Just as he opened it, however, he found her hanging on the door frame about to fall right into the room.  Before he would let the force of gravity pull her down, he caught her beneath the arms and dragged her to her feet.  "Are you alright?" he asked, setting her straight and taking his hands away from her as quickly as possible.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"I think so, yes... just... a little dizzy. Not sick to my stomach though. "

As early as yesterday, she might have been sick to her stomach. It wasn't appetizing- or safe either- to be eating raw fish and uncooked bird eggs. It was only that she had been so afraid of making herself a fire. Cooking in the ship's kitchen was one thing, but on the beach...no. She shivered in spite of herself, not because she had been cold at the moment, but because she was remembering something that had caused her intense fear.  

"What did you wish to speak to me of, Captain?" She staggered into the office and took a look around, grinning rather prettily at the sight of the captain's plate. "I take it you enjoyed the meal? I'm pleased, flattered, even, to see that I haven't forgotten my cooking skills, that I learned from my mother, though they've been rather...useless...for the past year. When your house has burned before your very eyes, it's rather difficult to think of starting a fire for yourself, you see. In the kitchen, fire can be controlled, but...but otherwise..." She couldn't find words then, and she hung her head, afraid she was going to cry. "Some of the things I've eaten in the past twelve months-uncooked, that is- would make even the most experienced sailor think he was seasick. But the screams of my dying family... I can't forget those screams. I didn't want to cause pain like that to anyone else, so I just didn't make any fires."

She realized then that she was going on rather senselessly, the words flowing out of her like water from a faucet, but being with someone who had actually asked to talk to her was making her overly eager to share her story, even with just the captain.

"If you didn't want to know all that, then...I'm sorry," she whispered, blushing.

Lion

Willem stepped back toward the desk with the tray of now cold and shredded fish.  He offered her a sympathetic ear as she spoke, letting her spill her feelings as if he were a well of hope from which she might quench her thirst.  He merely nodded in all the correct places until she finished, seemingly embarrassed that she spoke more than her charge.  But a grin tugged at the corners of his lips, his mustache widening as he smiled and excused her from any fault.  "That's quite alright, Miss Domremy.  I find it rather ironic, really."  A chuckle escaped his throat as he leaned in a sitting fashion against the desk, moving to fiddle with a lantern.  "You, who fears fire, and me...someone—"  Willem opened the lantern, reached in and placed his index finger and thumb around the candle wick, and, when a heat filled his fingers, concentrating in that lone spot, a flame soon emitted from his fingers that lit the candle.  He pulled his hand out and closed the lantern door.  "—who can make flame with a mere grace of hand, suddenly thrown in together."

Turning his attention back to her, he let his smile fade slightly yet staying crooked at one end, "I suppose I can't completely understand your fear, for fire has been apart of my life for as long as I can remember.  But that's not why I summoned you here."  Willem slid off the desk and waltzed around it to where the tray was in front of him.  His eyes became despondent now, a strange turmoil vaguely discernible within them.  "What is the meaning of this?" he questioned firmly, pointing to the fish with a tone meant to be untrifled with.  "Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like an explanation of some kind from someone who says she so afraid of fire and yet she whips up a meal so completely....astounding that I have a feeling you're leading me on.  What do you have to say for yourself?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Look, you don't understand, Captain. It was my former lover who started the fire. We had had a fight...and... I needed to take a walk, and when I came back..."

She couldn't go on, and then she realized, though she wasn't quite sure she could believe her eyes, that she had seen the captain light a lantern using only his hand!

"It's like this, Captain. I am not afraid of fire in small amounts. But...do you ever use your fire for bad things like burning down houses? When I see someone start a fire, except for cooking, I think that it will spread, and I panic. But on the beach...on the beach... I couldn't cook for myself because I was afraid that I couldn't control the fire to one place. It is different in a kitchen. A kitchen is closed in. Land itself is not. You controlled your fire to light the lantern, Captain. My lover did not control his. What's more, you, as far as I know, have no ill will toward me. Randver did. My fear of fire is a matter of attitude and intent. Do you see now?"

Beyond this, Celine found that she was slightly amused with herself. Randver, too, had had a talent with fire. And here she was, with a Captain who could make fire too. Someone with a fear of fire as intense as hers should not be with anyone who could make it. And yet... she couldn't remember anyone ever being as nice to her as the Captain was being right now.

Lion

Silence would guard his voice from letting a single word pass beyond his lips.  His finely browned face was rather stoic and, with no emotion, set about a comforting coldness in his gray eyes that swirled like a mystifying fog.  He became a bust for moment, merely in existence yet utterly impassive.  But he was not completely implacable and listened for all Celine's words were worth.

When she finished, he waved his hand about in the air as if her words were nonsense. Yet quite the contrary when he nodded and resumed his seating on the desk once again; he said, "You're plight has moved me, Miss Domremy.  I was merely curious and yet...you've managed to expound once again on the very thing that drives my interest.  And that interest has been satisfied.  You're cooking...is, rather—well, let's just say that it's been a while since I've had a meal like that."

His voice was a little nervous now as he averted his eyes to the floor.  "I don't know how to put this lightly...but, um, I haven't eaten anything like that since my wife died three years ago."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn