Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Aimless Wandering (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, January 23, 2009, 06:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"I'm sorry, Captain. I didn't know..."

It was difficult to respond beyond that, but even so, she couldn't help a kind of smile from gracing her lips. It wasn't a smile of mirth, of course, but a smile because she wasn't quite so alone now. "Ironic, then, that we have both lost those who are dear to us," she murmured. "I don't feel quite so isolated now. But if you ever need to talk, you know where I am."

But her slight smile faded. She still had to make sure she was understood. He hadn't said anything about what she had said to him.

"You understand, then, that my fear of fire- uncontrolled fire, that is- is only because someone used it to destroy everything that was important to me? And while I'm here, you won't use your fire talent for bad things?" She had to know. She knew he was a sailor, not a pirate, but still. It didn't mean he didn't burn things at all.

Lion

It seemed there would be no end to smiles this evening.  Willem's cheek developed a lone dimple that showed when he smiled, his trimmed finely lining his face as if it were a portrait done to perfection.  "Thank you for your sympathies.  I'll keep that in mind.  And, if it's any consolation, you may do the same with me, as only to equalize the courtesies.  Not that you didn't say quite a lot as it is already, but I feel it's a comforting idea to know that there is an open ear available whenever you need it.

"You need not worry, Miss Domremy.  I won't be setting any sails on fire.  I've lived with my ability for quite some time and have honed it to the point that I should be able to control it quite fairly.  Did I not promise your safety aboard this ship?  I never go back on my vows and some might say that I have a rather good memory when it comes to keeping track of what happens."

Willem grinned fully now and resumed his sitting behind his desk.  "That is all, now.  You may return to your quarters for an early night.  If you don't mind, I must continuing filling out my shipment logs.  Unless there's anything else you need?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"Only to make sure you know this, Captain: I haven't slept, really slept for more than a few hours, in a year, and I may be restless. Don't be alarmed if you hear me- or see me- walking about the ship at night. It's only because my memories of that day don't leave me. If I do fall asleep, I dream horrible dreams. Sometimes I wake screaming. I don't know that I expect you to be able to help me, but I wanted to make sure you knew. That will be all for tonight, Captain."

Celine gave him a little smile, then a salute. "I'll see you in the morning, then. Good night."
As she walked away, her cheeks burned a bit. She always blushed when she had caught sight of someone handsome. Seeing the Captain smile at her, the dimple in his cheek made him look very attractive to her indeed. Not that she would tell him, unless he ever happened to ask.

Lion

Willem nodded as Celine departed from his office.  It was only when she left that he felt his ears burn with embarrassment.  What in the world had convinced him to reveal any information about his past!?  Sure, he was letting her stay on his vessel but Willem had a problem with getting close to others, especially women since the day his wife had passed away.  That darkened day was the positively the worst in his life and ne'er would he let another dare break through him again.  He was already racked with guilt as it was.

He thought about Celine for a moment, appreciating her frankness.  For all the unremarkableness of the girl, she was modestly blunt and honest.  Such were a quality that Willem regarded the most important in anybody.  If one were to attempt to forge a successful relationship with him, there wasn't a doubt that honesty was a quality that person couldn't be without.  Well, her story did move him indeed and that's where he would leave it for now.

Taking his quill pen and ink, he began to fill out the logs of the new goods to be shipped to the Isles they were now on voyage to.  The scratching of his pen against the parchment filled the room for a good ten minutes until the paper filled with the appropriate information.  When he was satisfied, he smiled and rolled up the note in a scroll-like fashion, carefully stocking it away in the bolted cabinet.  He then grabbed up the lantern and departed to his chambers through a door that connected to his office.

Setting the lantern on a hook to keep it from falling about the room as the ship rocked, he readied for bed and felt a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach grow as if the days to come were to become more peculiar than this one.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown