Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chords and Caravans [Open]

Started by Anonymous, February 12, 2009, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A weary afternoon sun hung low in the sky, watching over the port-town of Cerenis and sending a brilliant glimmer of thousands of diamonds upon the water. Occasional breezes tugged at the branches of drooping trees, begging them to sway, only to let go and come back again like the tide. The town was beginning to slow pace, merchants heading back to brightly painted caravans with jingling pockets.

It had been merchants who allowed Clavott to share a ride with them, perched on the back of a caravan while providing music for the long road. As he did, they paid him with food, a blanket to sleep under, and though they did not realize it, the best company he'd had in months. The stories around the campfire and watching daytime clouds roll over an open sky had made him feel at home again.

He'd leave them tonight, though. He had no wish to get stuck on routes with the merchants, as much as he liked them. He wanted a change of scenery- somewhere the merchants didn't go. Mountains, he thought. I've never walked my way through mountains. Sitting comfortably on the docks with his legs dangling just over the water, this idea struck him as a good one. Clavott looked to his side, where a slender wooden instrument sat, as if a friend. With a smile, he picked up the violin, raised it to his chin, and began to play. He played like the sweeping tides before him, like the gulls calling overhead, and like the sleepiness that began to settle over the town like dust. Seemingly alone, he played.

Anonymous

Nika had never planned on passing through Cerenis and with the romantic affect the sunset caused across the port-town she did not want to bring Hex here either. She remembered when they left Arca, the clinking of a half-empty bottle of alcohol in his hand against the reigns of his horse and the smell of sex all about him was unbearable. Nika realized that Hex was a lot like his brother but having been involved with his brother she thought he would grow up some time. Ten years after all the mess she had gotten them into, he had not gotten any better.

The twenty-one year old Hexander Qu'anden stepped up to Nika wrapping his arm around her placing his blonde head upon her shoulder. She felt suddenly old walking through the town like that. She was in fact very young for an Asani but the air that he put about made her motherly.

"Come now, Nik, don't be such downers," he jested skipping a bit beside her solemn walk. "Tonight is a bee-u-tiful night." She looked at him sharply pulling the borrowed cloak closer to her body. He lifted his head, staring at his cloak that was wrapped around her shoulders and thought naughty things like usual. He could not help it, she looked twenty years old not thirty-six.

"Hex, I do not wish to fight with you," she breathed. Their relationship had been strained since Hex found out what she had done. "I just wish for some quiet tonight."

He took a step to the side looking up at the few stars that graced the sky. "Alright, let's go to the dock. It should be quiet there." She glared at him a moment trying to find the hidden agenda. This was always like him.

"Okay," she said weakly turning toward the dock. Hex smiled widely showing his pearly white teeth against the darkness of the oncoming night.

Nika looked up at the sky as they made their way to the docks and swore that music pricked her pointed ears.

Anonymous

The docks were not quiet that evening.

The strings of his violin hummed together like lovers embracing, producing not love, but song. Tonight, the rhythmic beat of the tide slapping against the docks was his tempo. Perfect and slow.

Clavott watched with a soft smile the seagull that perched on a wooden post by his side, twisting its head this way and that curiously. Sudden as lightning, the bird turned its head toward the dock sidewalk, screeched in a hushed tone, and rejoined its brethren in the sky. Curious as well, Clavott turned to check behind him.

A pair of lovers- or what seemed to be- walked the dock behind him, the male leaning affectionately against his female partner. For what must be the first time, he felt a certain pang of jealousy as he watched the two stroll. It confused and startled him, so much so that the violin screeched at his playing. He jumped and seperated the bow from the instrument, now adding to his emotions embarrassment and bewilderment.

Oh.. Why must you be so bothersome, Clavott? He swiftly turned away from the couple, back toward the water and his violin. It took a moment to regain the tempo, and longer to pick up the expression of his music. His soft honey eyes gazed downward while his face picked up a slightly reddish hue.

Anonymous

Hex nearly fell to the ground in laughter when the man seemingly jumped with a screech from the violin strings. It was not because the man was flashing a face of embarrassment but the sorrow which now spread across Nika's face. She was always over emotional, motherly, and over protective. Everything he hated but at the same time it made him laugh.

"Look, Nik! You scared the man," he jested spinning around her with laughter. Her face flushed with embarrassment which made Hex stop for a moment. "My dear God! Are you blushing?"

Nika shifted with a sigh fiddling with the blue dress she had pawned off an old man who had just lost both his wife and daughter in a fire. It was not what she normally wore making this incident even more uncomfortable. Her knees caught her eyes which were normally a golden brown but now were pale in the moonlight. She wondered what her raspberry-brown hair looked like in the moonlight but did not finish the thought.

"Hex, I understand that your childish behavior is only because you are a child but please..." she allowed her voice to trail off not wishing to speak to him anymore instead she turned herself toward the man at the dock who had picked up the song once more. She swayed a little to the music, her jade eyes dashing back and forth on the back of the man's head. She opened her mouth to speak but before the words I am completely sorry could dance off her tongue Hex jealously interrupted. He saw every man as competition even with Nika who never looked at him as more than a boy.

"He sure can play," he whistled throwing his arms in the air.

"Yes, he can," Nika muttered entranced by the music. The last time she had heard something so beautiful was when she was young...with her mother. Hex threw her a glance but she never noticed.

"But he would bore common folk who need visual entertainment," Hex shouted grandly pulling out three sticks—red, green, and blue—to juggle. Nika stepped up to Hex making him drop one of the colored sticks. He scrambled to pick it up looking at her with weak eyes.

"Hex," she sighed, "why don't you go entertain one of those lady friends of yours? The one that waved and giggled at you when we left the Inn this afternoon?" Hex smiled but knew at the same time that he had disappointed her. He nodded, looked at the man one last time, and left the dock throwing the sticks, one at a time, into the air. Nika turned back to the man. "I am sorry for interrupting you. I—we—did not mean to do so. Travel makes the mind as well as the body weary and a stroll seemed like a grand idea," she paused a moment, "at the time."

Anonymous

But he would bore common folk who need visual entertainment. Clavott began to draw the bow back and forth slugishly. Suddenly, playing the violin didn't seem like such a grand idea. The serene enthusiasm he had previously been filled to the brim with, was dying quickly under the stranger's presence, his confidence waning thin.

But as the woman spoke to him, he pulled a final note on the violin- one that sounded wrong, and failed to end the song- before lowering the instrument from his chin and rising from his perch on the edge of the dock. He turned finally to face the woman (a little shocked, for she was quite beautiful) and bowed with a noticeable grace.

"It was not my place to perform in such a public place. I'm sorry if I disturbed you and your- boyfriend's?- stroll." He smiled apologetically, his honey coloured eyes warm and clear. "You, ah.. You didn't mean before the inn just near the town square, by the book shop, would you?" He winced at the thought. He had been bullied before, soldiers calling him 'too soft'- and he felt that, this woman's companion mixed with a fair amount of alcohol would provide the perfect evening of teasing upon his return.

Anonymous

"Oh, Hex?" Nika asked with a bell of laughter. "He is nowhere near my boyfriend more like a brother even though he hates it when I say that." She smiled, musing over Hex's own stupidity. "I do apologize for him. He get's jealous over the weirdest things but his bark is worse than his bite so to speak and, yes, the very same Inn. We have stopped here a few days."

Nika looked down at the ground and with a sudden realization she pulled out a worn coin purse. "Hex may be back. If not him, the woman he sleeps with will want her money." She sighed dropping the purse back into the cloak pocket. "Childish behavior."

She looks at the man with a wicked smile showing a slight point on her canine teeth but she let it drop before too much came of it. "Don't quite playing on my account. I do love music."

Anonymous

The woman he sleeps with will want her money? repeated Clavott in his mind. He felt a little confused. He had never heard before that sex required pay- unless it was something like a trade? Still, he ignored the comment.

"Oh, I.. When I'm disrupted, it's a little hard to.. Oh, wait." An idea struck him, and Clavott's eyes brightened. Without explaination, he bent down to the fraying violin case lying next to him, carefully packed the little instrument away, and straightened once more. Turning to the woman, he rolled up his sleeves.

"My name is Clavott. Tell me: What is your favourite instrument? Any one at all." He felt a small pinch of happiness rise within him again. This was his forte; it may not be juggling, but it was what he did.

Anonymous

Nika stepped forward with a curious smile. "My name is Nika and..." She paused a moment placing her right pointer finger upon her chin in thought. "I have always loved the harp. My mother used to play it a long time ago." She cocked her head to the side curious what he would do with the information she had just given him. She realized he was a good musician: the song he had been playing was a work of art. Something Nika loved to hear.

She felt a giddiness rising in the man now which was oddly infectious. She clapped her hands before her parting the cloak only enough to reveal her arms up to her elbows, waiting.

Anonymous

(OOC: I'd imagine him playing something like this, only on harp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIMwdScmGM )

Clavott smiled pleasantly, as though that had been the answer he was waiting to hear. Smoothly, he sat upon one of the stubby dock poles used to tied boats from floating away. As though a harp sat beside him, he raised his arms, hugging the air.

Then, his fingers began to pluck at nothing- nevertheless, sounds vibrated through the air. A sweeping melody picked from his fingers. It describe that night perfectly; the lonely call of the gulls, the darkening sky, and the reluctant slapping of waves upon the shore.

He had closed his eyes when he began playing, but now that they opened, he watched Nika closely. He played the gentle lines in her face, and the wisdom in her eyes; the soft rise and fall of her lips, the sweetness of her hair. His music wrapped itself around her, taking every memory, every experience, and every dream, and transforming them into something that only the two of them could hear.

Anonymous

Nika could not breathe. Tears pricked her eyes, her knees trembled, and all she wanted to do was ...she wasn't quite sure. All she knew was that she never wanted it to end but she also knew it would have to at some point.

She closed her eyes taking in every moment; a tear escaped through her eyelash and trickled down her cheek but she was too scared to wipe it away. It would break the moment she thought and she never wanted to do that.

When the song came to a close she nearly fell forward like the notes were what keep her standing. She opened her eyes; wiping the tears from her eyes.

"That was beautiful," she muttered, "thank you for playing it."

Anonymous

Finally snapping alert from what felt like a long slumber where only music was his possession, Clavott's eyes focused again. He straightened slowly, having hunched a little to reach the last pure note, and then rose from his seat. He felt stiff as the magic dripped away, like water running out of his hands. The imaginary harp faded away, not to play music again for a while.

He noticed the tears running down Nika's face, and his face turned a slight crimson. "I'm.. I'm sorry. I did not mean to make you cry." Clavott looked downward- noticed how rude it would be, not to look her in the face- and gazed back at her, a sincere sort of sadness on his face.

"I.. It was beautiful, because that music was you."

Anonymous

"No, no," she whispered sniffing, "that was—" She stopped, registering what he had said.

I.. It was beautiful, because that music was you."

Once again her breathing stopped but unlike before her knees buckled under letting her drop to the ground. "Moonlight, does funny things to the mind," she muttered to herself trying to catch her breath. She looked back up at him: he was perfect; those honey eyes glowing up from under his brow and his hands were magic which made this harder to bear. She had already hurt one man before leaving her with the constant reminder of Hex who would have been her brother-in-law.

"Clavott...you're...just wonderful," her smile was weak but true. She would have stood up then but feared wobbly legs. "Or at least a master of words along with being a master of music."

Anonymous

As she fell, Clavott was to slow to catch her- though he did kneel beside her, resting a worried hand upon her arm. His face was softly lined with concern, and still that same bashfulness that had turned him a warm pink since he saw her face illuminated in the darkness.

He felt at a loss for words now, along with that sensation that impending doom was near when he would fumble a word or become too nervous. At least he didn't run away from this problem; this, Nika, was too wonderful to run from. His eyes searched hers, a stunning green that he could not name. He opened his mouth to apologise for her collapsing, and then realised that didn't quite make much sense. Instead, he returned her weak smile.

"I.." He ran his free hand through his hair, feeling each strand bounce right back into place. "I feel wonderful. Now, I do." With you. He struggled on those two words, and let them fade before they were spoken; he had only just met this woman, but he could feel her heart pushing his to beat faster, occasionally skipping beats as though it were unfocused.

Anonymous

Nika smiled at him slowly standing up. Her arm flew out to his shoulder to catch herself so she would not fall again. "I—" she began but she was stopped by a whistle behind her. She spun around, fury splashed across her faced in blotches of red.

"Nika" Hex laughed stepping out of the shadows. "Never knew you were...what would I call it?...weak?" She gritted her teeth together.

"What do you want?"she breathed. Hex gulped slightly watching the Nika he knew best return. She was always like that when he would ask for exactly what he was about to ask for.

"The purse..." He mustered taking a side glance at Clavott; a hint of jealousy drew across his eyes for a moment before he looked back at Nika.

Nika took in a deep breath, calming herself down. "Of course, I knew you would come back for it." She lifted the leather pouch out of the cloak and tossed it to him.

"Good thing I did come back," he took a step toward Clavott. "What do you think you were doing with my girl?"

"Damn it Hex! I'm not your girl," Nika shouted anger sweeping across her face once more. She whipped Hex around to smell alcohol on his breath. "She didn't want you did she? The girl at the Inn?" Hex's face fell but he quickly regained his confidence and turned back to Clavott.

Anonymous

Clavott blinked and rose, clearly stunned and disheartened to see her friend Hex's return. He raised his hands in defence, taking a step closer to the edge of the docks- closer to the water.

"I'm sorry- I didn't mean- to do anything with your.. girl," he finished lamely. The pink in his face faded slightly, becoming a little pale. He and Hex were the same height, but at this moment, Hex seemed to tower over him. He cast a glance towards Nika, sorrow and regret in his face. Certainly not regret for meeting her, none at all- but for not telling her what he had wanted to say properly.

He caught a whiff of Hex's breath, and he wrinkled his nose distastefully. "Your breath, smells something horrible." Only after he said this, did Clavott realise it and very much regret it.

Anonymous

Hex snapped; he swung at Clavott with both fists but missed. Not because he was drunk—he had always had a good aim even while drunk—but because his whole body had been tossed back by what seemed a giant tidal wave. He was thrown back onto the dock, soaked to the bone.

"God dammit Hex!" Nika shouted, tears in her eyes. She looked back at Clavott who was still dry just like she had hoped but she was sure that he was fearful of her now—at least she was fearful of herself.

Hex slowly stood up coughing up water; his whole body shivered from the cold water. "Ni....Nika?" he whispered. "I'm—" He dropped his head and turned to walk away.

"Hex?" Nika called after. He turned back with a weak smile which was covered by the sudden flop of the cloak on his head. "Don't catch a chill." Nika turned back to Clavott in the blue dress that blended into the darkness. The collar was loose, the sleeves short, and the dress just scrapped the knees but she was not cold.

She looked passed him to the ocean behind him and winced. This was why it did not end well last time.

Anonymous

Clavott watched Hex wander off, staring at his soaked body; he watched Nika, standing as though she had committed a crime; and he watched the water, for a moment even longer than the rest. After a stretched silence, he tipped his toe into the water, stirring it around as though he expected to see something in its depths. When nothing happened, he stood straight on the dock, gazing after Nika with a strange smile.

He approached her, slow and calm, as if nearing a frightened animal. He tilted a head to the side curiously, the warmth in his shining eyes returning.

"Thank you. That was.. outstanding." Clavott's smile brightened cheerfully. "Can you do it again?

Anonymous

Nika burst into laughter; her eyes twinkling with joy. She had never felt so happy. And with the elation clouding her judgment, Nika lurched forward, wrapping her arms around Clavott's neck. She settled there with a sigh, her eyes closed as she took in each whiff of his skin. She could picture every bit of him in her head now—all the way down to his smell.

She pulled away abruptly realizing that her spontaneity may not have been shared by both parties. She sniffed itching her nose with the back of her hand before turning back toward the water.

"What would you like me to do? Throw you across the dock as well?" she snorted gleefully. She covered her mouth embarrassed.

Anonymous

Clavott felt her warmth against his body, smelled her sweet fruity scent mix with his, felt her laugh pump across his chest. The beat of her laugh nearly matched his racing heart. He felt oddly comforted as he had never been before, and moved his arms upward to respond in kind, finding himself laughing as well. Nika retreated too quickly though, and, though he wished she had held on to him a moment longer, he laughed as well with the clarity of his imaginary harp.

"Yes, please!" He chuckled a bit harder at her snort, seeing it as no more of a flaw as the horns on a stag. "Surf on the waves, or send us swimming to the beaches!" Clavott felt delighted, happier than he could remember music ever making him feel. At this thought, his laughter slowed. He rubbed a jolly tear from his eyes, watching Nika and the way the light of the rising moon played with her hair.

Finally, he said in a more calm voice, "Or make the ocean fall like rain from the stars."

Anonymous

Nika smiled twisting around to view the ocean in every angle trying to think of a magnificent way to impress him. Then finally it hit her square in the back of her mind: the little tricks she would play as a child with the water. She quickly slipped off her shoes and ran for the dock's edge, sitting down with dangling feet in the water.

She motioned for Clavott to join her swirling her toes in the water; listening to an unheard voice far out. Her eyes unfocused and her lips parted slightly, Nika finally found what she was looking for. She turned to Clavott.

"Have you ever seen a whale?" she whispered.