Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chords and Caravans [Open]

Started by Anonymous, February 12, 2009, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Smiling at her new enthusiasm, Clavott picked up his violin within its case and slung its strap around him so that it hung on his back. He jogged down the docks right after Nika, feeling like an excited puppy out for a day of exploring. The sun had sunk by now, the moon peeking its pretty face over the water's horizon and sending a cascade of diamons skipping along the surface. He admired this for only a moment, before sitting beside Nika, cross-legged.

He watched her toes swirl through the water, sending small circles rippling in all directions. At her question, he looked up, his eyes a little wider.

"This.." He blushed. "This is the first time I've seen the sea. I.. don't know what a whale is." He felt she might disapprove, or dislike him for not knowing her own element quite as well. But he couldn't lie to her.

Anonymous

Nika smiled. "Then this will be exciting."

Nika threw her arms out before her like she was waiting for someone to take her embrace. She smiled wickedly, concentrating on the horizon.

"It's only a baby and we can't keep 'im here for long because his mother's out there but we can have some fun now," she explained quietly.

Everything fell silent: the stars twinkled above and the water below chopped to a slow, gentle tune. Then suddenly the horizon bubble right below the setting moon; waves being pushed out from a central location which was coming closer. Nika giggled like a child as the large mass pulled forward.

She swung her arms up into the air bringing a large wave up before them and with it a sleek skinned black creature of the depths.

Anonymous

Clavott jumped, startled by the sudden wave, but he quickly stilled, watching in complete awe. His gaze was transfixed upon this creature, like a small, mobile island. He noticed a hole on top of it, drawing long rushes of air.

Mesmerized, Clavott rose to his knees, his hands gripping the edge of the dock, leaning forward so he was perilously close to falling into the water. A tentative but curious smile flickered at the corners of his lips. He stared at it a moment longer, then turned to Nika, a childish expression of glee on his face.

"It.. It's.. This is the best thing I could ask for." His breathing slowed as he noticed how close he was beside Nika. Not wanting to invade her personal space, he coughed slightly and pointed toward the open hole in the creature's back.

"That.. that hole. It doesn't hurt him?"

Anonymous

"No," she said shaking her head. "That is where the creature breathes. And this," she leaned toward the creature grabbing the thread-like teeth with one of her hands causing the creature to moan in distrust, "—this is where it eats."

Nika smiled drying her hand on her dress taking a step toward Clavott but directed her attention the the whale's side.

"Feel," she whispered grabbing Clavott's hand and pressing it against the creature's sleek, slimy side. "See. I love whales."

Anonymous

Clavott allowed her to guide his hand over the creature, its strange, pure moan both frightening and beautiful, as though this beast carried a graceful sorrow about it. Even the texture of the creature was astounding; his hand slipped and slid across its back like a bar of soap, though probably not as clean. He could feel it moving, the rhythm of the ocean waves rocking it gently, its air-hole sucking in amounts of oxygen that would likely make his own lungs explode.

His mouth open in awe, he took a minute to find the proper words. "This is amazing! And you're friends with all these cre- these whales?" He pronounced the word stiffly, like trying a new piece of food. "I have to admit.. I'm jealous." He looked over at Nika, signs of sorrow crossing his face. "I've hardly known you, yet.. I feel like I know you better than I know myself." He turned away again, feeling ashamed for admitting that, and continued to stroke the whale.

Anonymous

Nika dropped her hand, blushing. She feared she was giving him the wrong ideas about her.

"Clavott, I—" she could not even say it so instead she let her mind follow back to the whale. "No, I must admit that whales or any other creature of the sea are not really my friends. They tolerate me because I can move water but they are not my friends."

She gently slapped the whale on his side. "I suppose we should let you go, huh, buddy?" she cooed calming the poor creature down. She slowly let the water fall and, like before, a massive spray of water was thrown about the whale as he was sent back.

Nika sat back down, letting her legs dangle to the water, and fell back looking up at the stars.

Anonymous

Clavott relaxed as well, sitting back on his bottom with his ankles submerged in the water. He inhaled deeply and released a sigh through his nostrils. The ocean seemed endless from where they sat, disappearing into the distance and making him quite small and insignificant. But still, its size comforted him; for he knew that, with a world of that size, he'd never truly be alone.

He hunched over his lap, staring at his spidery hands. Then, a childish smile crept to his lips. Eyeing Nika with a mischevious look, he reached over and tapped her on the knee. As if her knee were an instrument, a clear note rang upon his touch- a piano. Clavott tapped her again with three fingers, producing a happy chord. He chuckled.

"I'm sorry," he said, still laughing as the notes quickly faded. He returned his hands to his lap and watched his feet stir the water below.

Anonymous

Nika sat up touching her knee with her the tip of her finger. There was no way for her to express her amazement: he was brilliant—different—and all she could do was make water move.

She lifted her feet out of the water, tucking them under her, watching Clavott's hands carefully. His gift made her believe that magic actually existed.

She reached out for his hand, holding it between both of her own. She was tempted to kiss it—the long, thin fingers that could play music on anything—but she bit her lip and searched his face with her glossy eyes waiting for him to look at her. She kept a smile on her face which was hindered by her top teeth biting her bottom lip. She could feel the blood trickle into her mouth but she did not react, hoping he would not see.

Anonymous

Allowing Nika to take his hand, Clavott watched as she folded her hands around his own, feeling the warmth of her skin. Finally, his eyes met hers, soft honey on hard jade, and he leaned forward, placing a gentle kiss on her cheek.

Clavott had done many foolish things in his life because he failed to think his actions through fully. He had broken an incredibly costly piano; lit an antique tapestry on fire; gotten lost in a house; even help a poor man lose all of his sheep and then hunt them down. This could probably be added to his list.

His eyes widened, and he snapped backwards, away from Nika. The blinked. "I-I'm sorry. I've never done that before!" This thought seemed to startle him more. "I've never done that before!" he repeated, standing upright. He turned, as if to pace down the docks, but slipped instead, as the docks were slick with water. He fell hard, landing on his back with an 'Oof!', his head resting beside Nika's lap.

He stared at the starry sky, dazed, and repeated, "I'm sorry!"

Anonymous

Her eyes filled with worry, Nika spun on her knees to face Clavott. She traced her cool fingers across his forehead pushing away strands of his brown hair. She pulled herself close only a sharp breath away from his face searching is warm eyes.

"Are you alright?" she whispered as her hair fell around his face in a veil; casting shadows about his neck and chin. She grinned childishly showing the pointed tips of her canine teeth. "Was kissing me that dreadful?"

Anonymous

Clavott blinked, his mouth open in the shape of a small, surprised 'O'. He hesitated before responding, his breath- smelling of lemons- gently pushing her hair back and forth.

"I-I'm fine." His racing heart fluttered, but at the same time, he felt an eerie calmness and tranquility with Nika so close. He took a deep breath and smiled weakly, nervously. "I'm.. good."

He reached up with one long hand, and smoothly brushed her escaping hair behind her pointed ear, marvelling at its soft, smooth texture. His heart slowed, feeling silence press down upon his ears. The gulls seemed to have vanished, and only the sound of water sloshing upon the shore and the bellies of the docks remained in the still moonlight.

"No.. it wasn't," Clavott murmured. His hand was still by her ear, his body trapped beneath hers, at her mercy.

Anonymous

Nika's smile slowly faded as her eyes crossed over his lips. Her heart was in her throat, pounding so hard that it was hard to breathe. She let out a sigh; parting her lips and breathing in the lemony essence that wafted off his warm breath.

In the heat of the moment, she bent down brushing her lips against his; their breaths mixing sweetly together in the thin space between them. She savored the kiss for a second longer before pulling away to the distance she had established before; her eyes twinkling with excitement.

Anonymous

Time seemed to slow as Nika leaned forward, her face seemingly melting into his. The soft touch of her lips and the warmth of her sweet breath felt like the most rewarding secret to Clavott; as if they were the only people to exist in this world, and the idea that any beings had existed before them was preposterous. His lips moved numbly in response, begging hers closer. Her nose tickled his cheek lightly before she pulled away, her eyes lit by the thrill of it all.

He felt the world around him resume its normal pace again, though Nika still seemed to move with an otherworldly grace, her hair draping over him once more. Clavott drew another deep breath, feeling like his lungs had lost all oxygen and given them to her. His lips, now tasting nicely of hers, widened into a bright smile.

A long moment passed before he spoke again, though it was not awkward at all. His voice was barely a whisper above the hushed waves. "I.. like you a lot, Nika," he sighed. He placed a hand on her cheek, cupping it as gently as frightened he might break her perfect face. Behind her head, the moon and the stars seemed to twinkle a bit brighter, watching the event unfold with joy.

Anonymous

Nika smiled her eyes weary about his face. She pressed his hand closer to her face, pulling the palm to her lips before taking it back to where he had placed it.

"The feeling is mutual," she cooed and with a moan drew her face close to his and nuzzling her nose next to his, "but I believe my feelings are more than just 'like.'" She kissed his cheek, and then brought her lips near his ear. "Definitely more than just 'like,'" she finished with a light, airy chuckle.

Anonymous

Clavott smiled in response, closing his eyes and feeling Nika explore his face with an intimacy that both frightened and comforted him. He had seen couples before, especially when playing music for a crowd. Always there would be some pair swaying to the softest melodies, gripping each other as though they held one another's very souls. He had never been incredibly curious of what the feeling was like- he moved around far too often to gain closeness to any woman- but now that he knew, he wanted more. He felt slightly ashamed at this greedy thought; but then, he had never allowed greed to override his emotions, so why not now?

As her lips tickled his ear playfully, a strange mental wave washed over him, carrying memory upon memory on it. Leaving his father, who had adopted him as an infant; saying final goodbyes to traveler upon traveler; sleeping seperated from the groups he occasionally roamed with; and the dreams he had had from childhood to his early twenties, where he lay abandoned on the roadside as a newborn while his parents walked briskly away, never looking back. And as these thoughts teased the back of his head, his eyebrows curved sweetly upward as though pulled on an invisible cord.

He could feel the strong admiration he felt for Nika rise up from within, and he stroked her hair again as though grasping water that might soon trickle away. "Don't leave me," he said suddenly in a somewhat desperate tone. He had not meant to say it, only think it- but now that it escaped past his lips, he closed his eyes. A pained expression deepened the lines on his forhead and tugged his mouth downward. He knew he had no control over her; they had just met, and he would never force her to do anything against her will. He anticipated that, before he knew it, he would be on the road again, sleeping alone under starry skies again.

Anonymous

Nika sat up abruptly not letting her eyes drift back to Clavott even though the desperately wanted to. She wanted to whisper okay but her mouth stopped her before she could say it: her mind knew that it was a promise that was hard to keep but her heart wanted to keep it. It had been ten years since she had even felt close to this about someone. Ten years and a pain-in-the-ass called Hex.

She looked over into the darkness where she had last seen Hex. She could tell him that he could go back home—to Connloath. She could let him on his way with the majority of the money and go where ever Clavott went but she had promised the man she loved ten years ago to take care of Hex.

And what about her own problems? Her Asani nature? There was no controlling what she would do when her mind was allowed free and her control was stripped away. At the same time, would she not hunt Clavott down when she fell asleep so that she would just be next to him?

He knew nothing about her: she was a murderer, a kidnapper, and a wretch. Her chest burned with anger at herself and longing for him.

"Clavott, I..." her voice trailed not knowing what to say.

Anonymous

The breeze gently stirred his hair before Clavott opened his eyes again. It was impossible to tell what she was thinking, and that confused him terribly. She said she liked him- more than liked him- back. And yet, she closed her heart on him. He felt weak under the heat of her body and the expression in her eyes. He felt terrible for what he had said now, guessing that Nika was the type of woman who shied from commitment, just as he himself had before.

Her gaze had focused momentarily on the direction where her friend, Hex, had run off to a while ago. He felt guilt bubble stronger inside his chest. Of course; she had one man. Why would she want to be burdened down by another? One whom Hex would likely loathe and pick on constantly. He felt the balloon of happiness within gradually and painfully let its oxygen escape.

Looking sadly away from Nika, he sat upright as well, right beside her but facing the opposite way. He leaned his head on her shoulder feeling limp and heavy and unable to convince his spine to straighten. He spoke slowly, feeling his voice vibrate against Nika's skin.

"It's okay." That was a lie. "Hex.. wouldn't approve. He could probably make you happier than I ever could." Clavott felt his face grow hot. Sure, he thought. He might make her happier than I could. But.. no one will make me happier than she does.

He hesitated, then raised his head, leaned over, and placed a kiss on her neck. "Just know- know how I think of you." Here was a woman he felt he could take a hit for, or even a hit from. He was mesmerized completely, trapped by her spell, one he knew he had no power to break.

Anonymous

"He could probably make you happier than I ever could."

Nika's body tightened, breathing became impossible, and her heart fell deep into the pit of her stomach, aching, paining to tell him everything. Everything; could she without scaring him off?

She felt his lips on her neck: warmth spread like wildfire down her spine. She lifted her hand to find his chin, cupping it gently before pressing her lips against his; she was attempting to tell him that he was the only one in just one kiss. Her heart picked up from her stomach pounding hard in her ears and her breathing sped up trying to keeping rhythm. Nika's hand slipped from his chin to his back, pulling her body closer. She pressed harder; her lips forming around his; warm breath sweeping between.

Nika knew she had to stop—she couldn't do this too him— but she was intoxicated by him.  His hair which her other hand had now grabbed a hold of, not wanting to let go; his eyes that dazzled her with simple curiosity, the way he looked at her with those soft eyes made her shiver; and his voice, the magic he had. He was probably just average but to her he was the world.

She lifted her lips, closed her eyes, and placed her forehead against his. She never let go, she didn't want to let go, but she spoke seriously and her voice echoed words that seemed distant. "Clavott, you can't love me, I'm a..." she paused a moment trying to slow her heart, "I'm a murderer." She never opened her eyes but a tear escaped through the lids and fell down her face, stopping only a moment on her lips before trickling down her chin.

Nika waited for him to pull away. She was ready for it but not to see panic on his face or the look of disgust: her eyes stayed closed.

Anonymous

A silent pause was felt after Nika spoke, where the only sound was the near-breathless breathing of Clavott, that last kiss having drained the air from his lungs and the love into his heart. He rose a long finger and stroked her chin with great care, erasing the tear and the sorrowful track it had left. Then, he leaned even closer and kissed the corner of her mouth, feeling the salty tear upon his own lips, sharing that single tear. He replaced his forehead against hers.

"Nika.." He spoke the word as though the world rest upon it; and to him, it felt as though it did. "..The only way you could ever kill me is to leave me." He raised a hand to her face and stroked the side of her face, hoping that it could provide some comfort. His other hand shook, gripped the edge of the wooden dock fearfully tight as if the harder he held on, the least likely he'd be to fall numb and hurt into the dark, dark sea. Splinters dug their way into his hand, but he paid no mind. His eyes, his lips, and everything else was focused on Nika, all belonging to her now. Especially his heart.

Anonymous

Nika smiled lightly opening her eyes. "Why do you have to make it so damn easy?" she whispered letting her hands drop and her face pull up. "And at the same time so hard?"

She took his hands again this time one in each of hers; she looked at them both, rubbing her thumbs across the back of them in thought. "Hex would be fine by himself I suppose," she began more to herself than to Clavott. "He never liked me tying him down and I don't think I could leave you both alone for more than a second without someone getting hurt. He would love your gift if you showed him though—he will admit when he's impressed. At the same time I promised his brother..." Her hand shot up to her throat has if she was choking but cleared her throat dropping her hand. "That was ten years ago though."

She looked Clavott in the eyes, her decision still unclear. "I want to be with you Clavott but I need to take care of Hex—set him up with a home, or give him money, point him in the direction of the world he was born into—I just can't leave him broken and alone."