Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chords and Caravans [Open]

Started by Anonymous, February 12, 2009, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

As he listened, Clavott could tell where this was ship was heading. Hex was her responsibility now; and he could tell by the way she choked on her words that it was not so much a desire to watch Hex as it was a promise to someone else. He found himself nodding slightly as she spoke, understanding her complex dilemma. It was easy enough for him to run away with her and live happily, but her life was already on hold with someone else. He breathed a deep sigh to reassure that his heart still beat.

An idea struck him as she finished. The thought pained him dearly, but he felt that, even though he didn't exactly admire Hex, no man could be deserted like this. "What if," he started slowly, "What if we parted ways- just for now. You could take care of Hex, help him settle until he's willing to let go." As Clavott spoke, he felt his heart withering just as quickly, like petals of a rose decaying and falling to the ground in a cold heap.

"After he's settled, we could meet again. And we could go.." He hesitated, thinking of somewhere. "We could go anywhere we like. You would never have to mention this to him, either." His hand finally lowered from her cheek and came to rest upon her hand, his thumb stroking the soft, velvety skin. He didn't like the idea of leaving Hex in the dark, as he was unsure just how much he meant to Nika. Would he rip them apart from each other, should he not approve?

And then there was the matter of parting. He had no clue how long it would take Nika to secure Hex in a comfortable environment and to leave him behind. Was he asking too much of her? He felt guilty for not having as much to sacrifice. Wondering what she might think of this plan, he watched her with solemn eyes.

Anonymous

Nika's hands tightened in his. Was he kidding? She was supposed to just let him go? Just let him walk away in hopes to find each other again. Her heart beat faster in panic. Her breathing was hard and she wanted to vomit.

Damn it all! It was her own fault. If she had not acted stupid ten years before and had left that night instead of sleeping first or if she had just left Hex there to be taken care of by the damn city, she would not be in this mess. But then she would have never met Clavott...and that she would never want to miss.

She was always the one to act on emotion before all this; ten years of guiding Hex like a mother had cut her from herself. Now Clavott made her whole again.

She could hear her mother's voice echoing through her brain. We, as a species, do not marry. That is just how we are, but we do stay with the one we love until we can love them no more. You can't stop it. You're a half-breed. You must act on this.

"Damn," Nika muttered standing up. "I can't do that. I can't leave you. It is...physically impossible...at least for now." She began to pace back and forth in thought. "Let me speak with Hex," she said suddenly looking at Clavott, "even though you think that's the kiss of death. I must speak with him when he isn't...drunk. So tomorrow morning." She took a step toward Clavott. "But you can't leave or in the middle of the night I will come looking for you." She shrugged. "That's my nature."

Anonymous

As Nika stood, so too did Clavott, the muscles on his back tight and tense. Realizing this, he smiled warmly again and let his body relax. They could- they would- work through this affair. He took a step toward Nika at the same moment that she came closer to him. Her last comment made him chuckle lightly.

"I couldn't leave if I tried." He reached forward and grabbed both her hands in his. Glad that they might be able to make this possible, he leaned in close and placed a deep kiss on her lips, more passionate than anything they had shared before. He paused afterward, his lips lightly tickling hers, before casting his gaze downward.

"I feel.. selfish, asking you for all of this." Clavott still watched the floor beneath them, his cheeks blossoming a light pink. "But if you feel the way I do.." Then it's an easy decision. That thought rang through his mind, though he couldn't voice it. He felt the weariness of all that had happened under the moon this night, which sat above the horizon now, watching their plans.

Then he remembered something, and it startled him. "Hex is at the inn I'm staying at. Maybe.. I should go somewhere else tonight? ..There are some stables close to the docks here." He had no intention of running into Hex if Nika was planning on telling him her plans. In fact, he didn't really fancy running into Hex at all, especially if he was drunk.

Anonymous

Nika shook her head even though their last kiss made her slightly woozy. "Too late my mind—no—my heart's made up; no turning back now." She smiled. "And I told you don't worry about Hex: most likely he'll just pass out before the night is out. If not I'll just lock him in his room, I'll think of something," she said waving her hand as if to dismiss anything about it. But as she did that Hex appeared behind her, she spun around to look at him. "Hex," Nika whispered smoothly. "I need to—"

Hex put his hand up to quiet her. "I heard almost everything. Avoiding all the overly romantic parts," he said soberly. Nika looked down.

"You didn't go see the woman?" she asked.

"Nor did I drink another drop," Hex pointed out taking a step forward. "Lucky for you, huh?" he said to Clavott. He turned back to Nika. "I can see how my brother fell in love with you. You're devilishly romantic." He laughed.

Nika joined in his laughter recognizing the cool nature of it all. Hex could—if he wanted to—still try to attack Clavott but Hex had finally met the fact that he would never get Nika.

"Hex, I know that this must hurt but..." her voice trailed off as she tried to form her sentences correctly so that she would not offend him.

"Not as much as realizing that no woman will sit and listen to a man talk about his dead brother. No amount of money would they take," he smirked at Clavott as he spoke trying to figure him out. Why would Nika take Clavott over him? It was a simple answer: he wasn't a pig or at least it seemed. "Why do you want Nika so much? You don't even know her?" His question was meant to be harsh just as harsh as his snippet tongue. He flipped a coin into the air waiting for an answer.

Anonymous

At Hex's arrival, Clavott felt his entire body tense, as though he expected the man to bring strong gusts of winds with him and blow Clavott and Nika away from each other. The smile on his face vanished, and if anything, he looked sympathetic. Which probably wasn't a wise expression at this time.

Why did he want Nika so? His eyes met Nika's and he watched her for a long moment. Why..? The question bounced around his mind, the most simple question that, for some reason, he couldn't seem to answer right away. Different reasons popped into his head to be quickly replaced by another and another. Her eyes, her delicate face, the taste of her mouth, the way her smile forced one onto his own face. So many reasons, and yet, he couldn't seem to find the proper answer. At last, one came to him.

He stared back at Hex, his expression both firm and soft. His answer felt resolute. "Because I've waited long enough for her." Clavott took a step closer to Nika, his arm grazing hers lightly, pleading for comfort. He kept his gaze on Hex, praying and hoping the man could sympathize.

Anonymous

Hex nodded at Clavott's answer. He wasn't satisfied with the answer itself but how he paused: just like Hex's brother did whenever he spoke of her. Hex's answer would always be along the lines of wanting to know what it was like or that he just wanted to be with her so that he could see what the fuss was about.

It had been the first time that Nika had ever used her ability against him so when he fell soaked to the bone the alcohol in his stomach curdled and soon after he threw up. He had come back to apologize—something he did a lot to her—when he saw her on top of Clavott.

A longing crossed Nika's eyes and Hex caught it before tossing the coin up once more, catching it, and throwing it into the sea behind them. Nika watched it carefully to see where it landed before turning back to Hex.

"You'd be the luckiest man in the world. When you're fifty she'd still look twenty," Hex chuckled. Nika smiled searching for Clavott's hand beside her.

"And everyone would wonder how a man like that could get a twenty year old," she mused. This was a joke they always had. She would look twenty until she was one hundred and would look thirty when she was two hundred.

Nika knew what Hex was thinking next: the pain she would feel when Clavott died of old age compared to the pain of leaving with Hex never to see Clavott again but she hoped that with the finishing of the joke he would understand that the pain of leaving was worse.

Anonymous

Clavott smiled weakly at Hex's comment, and, feeling Nika's hand, squeezed it reassuringly. He wasn't sure exactly what race Nika was- it was peculiar and different, which he liked- but this seemed to be one of the side effects he was getting into. He could imagine it being harder for Nika, still looking relatively young when he passed away. But as long as she was willing to share what time he had, the difference didn't matter to him.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," he said with some confidence. They had only met, and though their love was strong and binding, they need not think so far ahead now. "If Nika ever wishes to leave me for a younger man.." He looked at her, wishing she wouldn't. "..I would be more than willing to let her decide on her own."

Sending her a brief smile that seemed to last much longer, he turned back to Hex. "Hex.. I apologize if what has happened here today has upset you." He extended a hand for Hex to shake, should he accept. "But, do we have your approval?" Not that Clavott would entirely need it; he knew that even if Hex didn't want them together, they would find a way. That was how love worked, didn't it?

Anonymous

Hex laughed a good laugh that he had not laughed in a good while. He has guts even if he doesn't think he does, Hex thought. He would never understand what they had which made what he was about to say even harder than it should have been.

Nika looked closely at Hex: watching every movement—from him ducking his head in thought to the exasperated sigh that followed. She would miss him but she knew a day like this would come. The only difference was who was leaving and why.

"My approval," he breathed scratching the back of his dirty blonde head. "Would you even listen to me if I said no?" His eyes danced from Nika's face to Clavott's not really wanting an answer but at the same time he did.

Nika smiled knowing that Hex was softening and maybe not understanding but not standing in the way.

Anonymous

Clavott hesitated, then lowered his hand, seeing that Hex wouldn't shake it without a better response. He took a deep breath, casting a sideways glance at Nika. He was distracted a moment from the moonlight dancing on her smooth olive skin and glossy hair, but turned back to gaze hard at Hex. He didn't want to lose Nika, but he certainly didn't want to hurt Hex.

"Probably not," he breathed with a weak smile. It was the truth, though; and if this was going to work, the truth was what he had to tell.

"Hex.. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause a rift between you two. Upsetting anyone is the last thing I would want to do." He tilted his head with a soft smile. "But.. I like Nika. A- A lot. This is something neither of us can merely walk away from and forget."

He looked to his side at Nika, certain now that she felt the same. It filled his heart with a fuzzy warmth and made his head spin pleasantly, to feel her by his side. A feeling he hoped would last for a long while.

Anonymous

"Ah, my boy, you never started the rift. That happened four years before now and all because of six years before that," Hex whispered with narrow eyes at Nika. Her whole body stiffened with his look, she knew it was coming.

"You know it's gonna hurt him bad? When all that happens? You have six years 'til it happens again: six months of pure agony that he can't do anything about," Hex prodded keeping his eyes directed at Nika.

She dropped her head. "Like Clavott said, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Hex smiled wickedly before turning to leave. "As long as you have everything figured out."

Nika paused a moment then spoke: "Hex?" He turned. Nika put out her hand showing a gold coin. "You drop this?" Hex laughed catching the coin as she threw it.

"You are a devil," he whispered as he finally left leaving silence and the washing waves.

Anonymous

Clavott blinked at Hex's comment, watching his receding back. Was he in danger? Was Nika in danger? He felt his curiousity blossom. He felt as though he knew Nika so well already; though so little at the same time. He recalled how, not long ago, he had played her song with the harp. So much pain and heartbreak was weaved through her history. Maybe he could fix that?

As Hex vanished, Clavott turned to Nika, her hand still in his. He watched her with genuine sorrow and guilt. "I'm so sorry my presence has seperated you two. You know I would never want to.." He choked on his last words, feeling the guilt bubble upward.

He had never had a long-term friend except for the man who had adopted him. He had no travelling companions, and friendships usually lasted a few days before that person left on their own adventures. Though he was happy this might no longer be his solo, he hated the thought of ruining someone else's duet.

Anonymous

Nika shook her head. "No, we were going to separate sooner or later but I guess it is better that we have split now," she said with a sigh.

Nika stepped toward Clavott wrapping her arms around his shoulders and laying her chin near his ear. "But I have you now, and he has all my money," she said with a sarcastic sigh. She couldn't help but laugh.

Anonymous

As Nika laughed, feeling her bump up and down against his chest, Clavott chuckled as well. He wrapped his arms around her waist, enjoying the warmth her body shared that chilly night.

"Actually.." He started off slowly, adjusting to the thought, "I've been saving money for a while. I.. perform to get by. I have enough to buy a horse now." He kissed her ear gently, hoping she wouldn't mind living off of a poor man.

Anonymous

Nika smiled kissing Clavott's neck. "What are we going to do with that horse? Ride into the sunset?" She nestled into his neck. "The sun already set."

She was growing tired now: the whole evening had made her weak with all the excitement and worry. She was nearly collapsing in his arms.

Anonymous

Smiling at her for a moment as she nuzzle closer, Clavott looked over her shoulder towards the hushed town. Lights like small flowers of fire spread through the streets and along the houses, emitting a cheery and calm guide in the dark. An orange reflection of white stars.

He ran a hand along her back back and forth, thinking- which was hard now, as his mind was slowing down. He could feel Nika's fatigue, but her wit was still intact. His shoulders shrugged up and down lightly with a chuckle.

"We could ride into the sunrise. But we should probably sleep before then, don't you think?" He gazed toward the inn he was staying at, picturing a warm, fluffy bed. Then he noticed how heavily Nika was leaning against him, her body limp and weary.

"I could carry you there, if you'd like?" said Clavott innocently, leaning his cheek upon her hair.

Anonymous

"No," she whispered even though she was tempted. "But I think sleep is a grand idea," her voice was trailing now as she stood, holding Clavott's hand.

This was the most emotion that had flown out of Nika in one night. Even with when her mother left, when she lost her father to the Connloath police, or even with Hex's brother; none could compare to what happened tonight or what she felt for Clavott. It may be puppy love--someone after being so lonely--but she didn't care. She just wanted to sleep and wake to find it was not all a dream.

Anonymous

Clavott smiled warmly, squeezing her hand gently, as though to make sure she wouldn't fly away. "Okay." He released her hand, and wrapped a long arm around her shoulders, smoothly pulling her close to his chest. He missed the feeling of hugging another individual close, sharing their warmth and comfort. The last hug he'd gotten was from a rather smelly stall vender, who praised him from bringing crowds to his shop with music. But that was completely different from now.

He gave one last glance to the stars. On the horizon of the still ocean, dark clouds rolled- to or away from them, he couldn't tell. They did, however, engulf the stars like a blanket over candles, suffocating them and hiding them from sight. Clavott sighed lightly, and the moon seemed to, too.

Holding the strap of his violin in one hand and Nika in the other, he began a slow march, leading her into town, where the firey candle-stars still shone brightly to guide their path. Behind them, the water slopped messily against the dock, and Clavott's mind wandered back to the whale he had petted not so long ago.

It had been a strange day, for sure, and even longer. In the course of that single day, his heart had swelled many times, almost to the point of aching. No.. it did ache. Pained in thought of Nika leaving as suddenly as she had come, of Hex or some other man taking her away- though it didn't seem likely anymore. Still, despite being able to bring people together, he had terrible luck keeping them close.

He looked down at Nika, feeling her fatigue and seeing it in her posture and her expression. He knew this must be harder for her, having a life and possessions that always seem to change with the introduction of a new friend. He blinked slowly. "Are you alright?" Clavott inquired, not just about the night, but everything she had experienced and was experiencing.

Anonymous

Nika sighed feeling Clavott's voice make its way through her mind. Was she alright?

In truth she had failed Hex: left him alone to try to piece his life back together. But was that really her choice? Or was she placing too much on her supposed nature? That day could have been just a mishap that's it.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she whispered. "My mother said that starting over was always the hardest part." Her voiced trailed off. Fatigue was trumphing her nastalgia. "I'll be better in the morning." She smiled weakly.

Anonymous

As Nika spoke, Clavott frowned in confusion. He raised an inquisitive eyebrow. "Mother?" He placed a finger over his lips in thought. The word sounded familiar, but foreign at the same time. Was this some language of hers that he was unaware of? Suddenly feeling uneducated but moreso curious, he asked: "What's a mother?" It sounded like father and like brother. Maybe it was a kind of father? Whatever the term meant, it invoked a strange sense of loneliness within him.

Silhouettes danced on the wall of a tent, hunched over like plotting beasts- the kinds of nightmares that preyed on young girls and boys and devoured them under a red moon. But these monsters had pleasant voices, gruff but still familiar. The small musician no older than six watched these figures, carrying a dragging branch in one hand and sucking the other thumb.

"..leaving the goddamn boy! He belongs to this group as much as your son does."

"I'm not saying he doesn't, Morry. But he needs a mother, and he ain't gunna find one here. When was the last time we even had a woman on board?"

"Isabelle."

"She's fifteen. She can't take care of a boy. He needs a mother, I'm telling you. He doesn't even know what one is- how is he supposed to go through life without that kind of care and attention?"

"I've been caring just fine for him up until now. Sure he's not the wisest lad, but he's talented. You saw what he did with those pots last night."

"..Morry.."

"He's my full responsibility. I'm not giving him up to no 'proper' family. This group is the best family he'll ever get." The silhouettes rose, and a thick, burly man burst through the mouth of the orange shelter. He looked down at the boy, his expression hidden by the light that framed his head like a halo.

"Clavott? What're you doin' up?.."

The musician blinked, unsure of where and how the memory had suddenly arisen. He took a deep breath, staring ahead with an odd expression.

Anonymous

Nika saw something flicker across Clavott's face. She had thought him naive but truly he had not been taught. She paused her thoughts trying to think up a way to explain. Everyone she had ever known knew what a mother was.

But she had also known her mother differently; never calling her mother but Selene.

"You know who a father is? You have a father and a mother," she stopped thinking again. This was not explaining anything. She took a different tacked. "I was like a mother to Hex--even if he thought otherwise. I would be a mother if I had a child--no, let me restate that--if I cared for a child I would be it's mother."

Her mind was racing with examples that did not quite fit. Hex's mother had been a devilishly rambunctious: not at all a mother. Her own had to leave her otherwise certain death. She was basing everything she knew off an old woman that lived down the street who was blind in her left eye and had a limp.

"Has anyone ever cared for you--not romantically, not like me--but in a way that made you smiled and you knew that they cared?"