Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Well, it's offensive. [Crono!] [rated R, language]

Started by Anonymous, October 04, 2009, 05:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Sometimes Kiru wished he could be anywhere but where he was.  

And then he remembered that no matter where, he'd still be who he was, and held his peace, but came out of his morning prayers in sour temper nonetheless.  The practice yards were full today.  Sword drill.  Kiru paced the line of young pupils, whom he'd grouped in pairs to spar.  The air hung heavy with rain today, and his bad leg wanted to buckle with every step.  The scar on his face had drawn itself tight.  He ignored them both and walked a little faster, shifting his grip on his sword-hilt.  That was the way of it--move faster and pain wouldn't catch you.  

The trainees hadn't gotten that yet.  Specially the girls, they thought the point to it all was stand right and look right and then you'd be a bloody lady soldier.  All just a bit of posing and primping and fancy twirling with a blade.  Like a polite little dance, waiting for your partner's by-your-leave and then--ragh.    

He spent the hour whacking arms and legs into place and filling trainee ears with curses and trainee bellies with fear.  When they were done he started off the yards to get his lunch, and that one boy who always begged talk from him after lessons tagged along.

"You make a bad whore, Cantrei," Kiru said sourly, speeding his pace.  "I can feel the suck from here and I don't like it."

"Sergeant.  I just wanted to ask your--"

"And you fight worse'n a whore, boy, you leave more openings than a man can buy."  He rubbed two fingers together, and kept walking.  

The boy, a bright-faced, brown-haired creature about fourteen years old, bounced after him undeterred.  He was that kind.  He thought someone's favor meant anything.  An easily embarrassed kid, though.  He was turning red already, but pressed on.  "I just thought you might let me try a block I learned."

"Oh for--"  Kiru's sword was out before he'd even finished rolling his eyes, and he drove straight at the boy.  Blocks!  Their hilts jammed and Kiru reeled back and punched the kid, though he held back most of his force.  He wrenched his sword up and Cantrei's went flying.  Kiru shoved him over with one hand.  The boy landed flat on his back.  Kiru looked calmly down at him.

"There's your block, lad, and well done.  And you're after wantin' a grand lesson so here it is."  He leaned to give him a hand up; the kid wasn't hurt, just shaken.  "Any block you make's a blow as hasn't hit the man you're fightin', boy."  Once Cantrei was up, Kiru turned away and kept walking, while the boy followed.  "Hey, I love comin' up against one who wants to fight my sword.  Like with women."  He reached the edge of the field and stopped, turning back to his trainee.  "You make 'em think it's their idea.  So you wave y'blade 'round 'til they get wet and go for it, but you gotta keep your mind on the thrust, eh?  And then you make 'em wetter."  He slid his sword into its sheath, viciously quick.  "You don't want to be the girl, I hope."  Kiru spat sideways.  "Now g'wan.  On your way."  He tried to shoo Cantrei off.

"But--sir--my father said--"

"Bugger your father!" Kiru roared, and stalked off, leaving the trainee open-mouthed in his wake.

Sometimes he got a little out of temper when he was hungry.  Kiru hated being hungry.  If he hadn't hated being aimless more he might've given up the sword and turned to the fork instead.  But he had decided a long time ago that he couldn't serve himself, and so he served Adela.  And right now Adela was serving him lunch.  It smelled like chicken pot pie.

Kiru ducked under the first few drops of rain and into the mess hall, brushing beaded water off the curly tangle of his hair.  Outside, thunder rolled, but here it was warm.  He grabbed a pie and went to sit at a bench not teeming with trainees.  He'd already settled himself when he looked up to see that monstrous tall Dragon-man.  Kiru nodded a curt greeting, no more.  He'd fight alongside him once he was trained up real.   He'd even appreciate the power a Dragon could bring.

Didn't mean he liked it.  But then, Kiru was used to living with things he didn't like.

Anonymous

It had been a miserable day. On his way back from his...strange trip, Tanith had decided to fly through a storm instead of going around. Probably just to spite him really. She hadn't been too happy about some of the decisions he had made. She had been getting on to him off and on all day but, every time she even started, Lucius just tuned her out. It was interesting, this 'tuning out.' If asked, Lucius wouldn't be able to describe how he did it but he would be able to say that the voice that Tanith used him his mind was reduced to a buzz.

Tanith was a content presence in the back of his mind right now. That was something he had discovered recently, not that she was content but that he could...feel, for lack of a better word, her in the back of his mind. He didn't know what to do about that. Perhaps he could talk to her through it, he hadn't tried and he wasn't going to try yet. Hopefully, her mood would be better next time he saw her.

Lucius had reported in shortly after he touched down. It was tricky explaining why he hadn't reported back immediately but he had managed to get through it without any serious lashings. The report had taken a few hours, mainly from answering questions, filling out paperwork, that sort of thing, and it had been at least a dozen hours since he ate. Needless to say, Lucius was hungry.

He hit the mess hall and stood in the expected line. Most people would bulk at the mess that was the general military food but when you've lived in the wilderness for as long as he had, you eat whatever came your way. Sitting at a vacant table, the Dragonrider started eating his food. He was excited. Tomorrow he would start training, learning how to use swords and bows. He had kind of used them before he joined the Military but he had only used them in the basest of ways, namely sharp thing plus animal skull equals dinner.

It had been a few minutes since he had sat down and started eating before another sat down across from him. Not many liked being near him but Lucius guessed that hanging around a dragon a lot didn't exactly drop him into the 'normal' category. Plus, he had noticed most people weren't that comfortable around something so large that could easily eat you if you got on its bad side. Needless to say, he didn't have many friends right now.

Lucius finished the bite of food and swallowed before replying to the other man's nod. The silence stretched between them as the food was eaten. Lucius felt like he should say something but didn't want to break the silence. After all, this man looked like he had been around here for a while. Who was he to address the man. Oh well, to hell with it. "Hey."

Anonymous

Kiru cut into his pie and speared a chunk of meat, then carefully capped it with a bit of crust teased from his knife.  He popped the bite in his mouth, chewed, and watched the boy in front of him.  In front of him and well toward the ceiling too.  God's blood, he was tall for someone they said had been raised wild.  But then, Kiru didn't believe three-quarters of what he heard, or half of what he saw.  Maybe the story wasn't true.

He chewed in silence, cutting his way through the pie like a routing army.  At last he looked up again.  He pointed the tip of his fork at the Dragon-man.

"I haven't seen you in the yards," he said.  If My Lady Tarlaka lets him skip the ranks on account of his beastie she's a dumber cunt than I thought she was.  His expression showed nothing of his thoughts, though, and indeed he'd learned to keep opinions at bay.  He had no need of them.  They passed through his head like smells or mist and that was all.  

Kiru neglected to introduce himself.  After making the one observation--or had that been a question?--he lowered his fork and went back to the business of his pie.

Anonymous

His companion sure was a talkative fellow, though he had said more words than Lucius. It was true that the Dragonrider hadn't been to the training yards yet, though it was no fault of his own. He wasn't sure how much the higher ups wanted known about the field trip he and Tanith went on so he sat and chewed his food while he thought about what to say.

He swallowed. "I haven't been out there yet. I was told that I would start tomorrow." He tried and failed at using his fork and knife to cut his food and take it to his mouth. He felt the fool for it and went back to the soup. It seemed unfair that he could probably outwit anybody in this room when stuck in the wild but he couldn't fully grasp the twists and turns of human interaction.

"Having fun?"

Lucius made a face. It was a lot different having her right there and having her talk in his mind but for her to be so far away and able to do it.... Perhaps he could experiment with talking back to her. She seemed to be in a better mood. "Not really. I'm tired, sore, and the food's about as good as a bad day's catch." There was a small spark of surprise from the back of his mind that he associated with being Tanith. So she hadn't known he could do that. Well, neither did he until he did but he felt smug about it nonetheless.

"Well, since you've apparently had a bad day, and you've learned a new trick, come over to where they're keeping me."

He expected her to elaborate more on it but the only thoughts in his head were his own. Lucius sighed and nodded his consent more out of habit than thinking she would know he did it. Then an idea came into his mind. A rather fun one that felt sadistic in a way. He smiled at the man across from him. "Want to meet a dragon?"

Anonymous

Kiru stared at the Dragon-man while his eyes went blank and his face twitched oddly.  What the hell was wrong with him?  When the kid turned a smile his way, Kiru stabbed his eating knife into the table between them.  This kid was irritating.  Coming in with a Dragon, making things all complicated.

"No," he said.  "The fuck would I want to see a dragon for?"  He worried his knife free with a woody squeak once he thought he had the boy's attention, and squinted at him over the remains of his pie.  "I got a dragon right here."  He jabbed the butt of his knife at the Adelan insignia on his chest.

After a pause, he decided he might as well ask.  "So what's your name, Dragon-boy?"  He flipped his knife over and over in his fingers, and pointed the blade at him.

Anonymous

Lucius' face drooped slightly at his eating companion's refusal to come see Tanith with him. He had really wanted to show somebody off to Tanith. "When's the next time you will be able to see a dragon up close that won't try to eat you?" He didn't have much hope that the other guy would change his mind though.

Asking after his name surprised Lucius a little bit, he could have sworn that the other guy didn't like him in the least. He shook his head. "I don't have any dragon in me, so I'm not really a 'dragon-boy.'" He smiled, hoping that he cleared up a little confusion. "I'm Lucius by the way. What's your name...er, sir?" He wasn't too sure how to address the other man but odds were that Lucius had to add some sort of honorific for him.

Something poked in his head. He didn't know how to describe it, but the closest word Lucius could attach to it would be a 'nudge.' He glanced behind him toward Tanith was being housed. She was getting impatient with him. "I'm sorry." He said, turning back. "But I need to go. Tanith is getting impatient with me." He stood up and pick up his dishes for proper disposal. "If you want to come with me, the offer still stands." He followed a group of soldiers with empty plates and dropped his off before turning to head out the door.