Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Salamanders and mirrors. (XpHyRe)

Started by Anonymous, October 08, 2009, 05:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Vethrys stopped her party at an inn close to Fort Algiery.  They probably could have made the fort in a day, but Lady Feyal's good opinion mattered a lot more than her little brother's.  She could ride in to visit him all stained and covered in sweat.  It probably wouldn't be a good idea to do the same with the High Lady of Altas Verde.  So she bathed, cleaned her hair and braided the ragged tail at the end of it, and put on the best riding clothes she'd brought: a tight black vest heavy with curving white and gold embroidery, over a white shirt with billowing sleeves, and loose black breeches that looked almost skirt-like when she stood up.  Sir Mirak told her she looked much nicer than she was.  

"Why did I bring you," she said, strapping on her sword-belt.  "Your tongue is quick in all the wrong ways."

"My skill with the lance?" he suggested, sitting on her bed and stealing her comb to run through his green hair.

"I'm better with your lance," Vethrys said.  She strode over and snatched the comb away.

"Are you?"  

"When I feel like it.  You're riding behind today."

"As you say, my Lady."

"Behind the vanguard," she said, annoyed.  "Pack my things."  That was her squire's job, but she didn't care.  

She went down the stairs to have breakfast and then they rode for the Fort.  They made it in good time.  The sun was still unraveling the morning fog by the time they finished climbing the path to the walled fortress.  Vethrys had sent a bird ahead from the inn, so the High Lady knew she was coming; she met them at the gates, on horseback.  Vethrys was careful to avoid her eyes, though she gave an abbreviated, mannerly bow from her saddle.

"Your Ladyship," she said politely, holding a hand over her heart.  "Thank you for your hospitality."

Xphy

The sun hadn't even been up for more than a few hours and already Sephiria was in a bad mood. Today she was expecting guests from the Fallial province, important ones at that, and on several occasions she had told her daughter that she wanted her to be there to greet them. But as always the girl had done the exact opposite of what she had asked of her. When the servants had gone to wake her they had found her bed already neatly made up and no Calyse in sight, the guards at the gates having seen her leaving on horseback at dawn.

Granted she had half expected her daughter to attempt something like this, but she was no less angered by the development. Maintaining good relationships between the provinces was extremely important, and if it was one thing she expected her own heir to take seriously it was that. The matter was only made worst by the fact that the guest they were expecting was the heir to the Great House of Fallial, Vethrys Thandryon. In all honesty she was a little jealous of Lord Thandryon. If his daughter was able to take this sort of thing seriously why the hell couldn't hers?

Sephiria had been sitting in her personal study brooding over what she was going to do with her daughter when her attendant knocked on the door. A messenger hawk had arrived announcing the approach of her guests, and after taking a brief moment to compose herself she went to prepare for their arrival. The servant had spent the better part of the morning making sure everything was in order for Thandryon and her party's arrival. All of the rooms were thoroughly cleaned, and the guards had been asked to polish their armor until they shone.

She was planning to make a good impression, and her daughter be damned that was what she was going to.

After carefully inspecting herself, and her horse she rode toward the gates to wait. As they approached she resisted the urge to give the guards one last glance to make sure every one of them was standing up straight and attentively. She knew they were, they wouldn't have dared to not be, but part of her still wanted to make sure. Everything had to be perfect for this visit.

Sephiria was quite pleased with the politeness Vethrys showed as she spoke. Clearly the young lady's parents had seen to it that she was given the proper formal training. The fact that she seemed to be making an effort to avoid eye contact with her didn't bother her any. She had already grown use to such behavior. It was practically the norm in her family. The only people she actually expected to look her in the eyes at all times were the guards and her daughter, in both cases for their own good.

"No, no it is my pleasure to welcome you into my home." As she replied Sephiria returned Vethrys' gesture, placing her hand over her heart and bowing her head. She had been taught that respect and humility were always important, and while the woman before her didn't hold a position equivalent to her own yet, she would one day and that was enough to warrant both.

"Have your travels have treated you well?" she asked raising her head once again, intentionally avoiding looking into the girl's eyes. "These are tough times we are living in, and with all that has taken place in our kingdom in the last few months one cannot be too careful."

Anonymous

"With respect, Ladyship," Vethrys said, ducking her head, "I fear one can."  

She looked back up and slightly to the left of Atlas Verde's High Lady, smiling to take the harshness out of words that already sounded harsh, thanks to the constant low growl in her voice.  "I thank you for the concern, though--we've had no trouble on the road.  I'm sure I have my company to thank for that."  Her own graciousness amused her.  She gestured back toward the knights, squires and attendants she'd brought with her, then nudged her horse forward to join Sephiria, moving away from the rest of her guard.  

She'd brought her little brother Ash, too.  While she didn't invite him forward--he was here as a squire to Xolan, not an ambassador--she did nod at him in his place and pointed him out to the High Lady as they rode into the fort.  "My brother Asharys is squiring already.  We'd both love to see your daughter again, too."  

It would be more like meeting her for the first time, actually.  She hadn't actually seen Calyse since they were too young to remember it (and Ash had been a baby), but she'd heard she was a good hand with a sword, and possibly as beautiful as her mother.  Vethrys didn't get jealous of beauty.  She just enjoyed looking at it.  Skill with the sword was another thing, but she didn't need to worry about that now.  Now, why hadn't Calyse come to meet them with her mother?  "I hope she's well."

Xphy

As she led them pass the gates the first thing they probably would have noticed was the stone statue of a salamander standing between them and the entrance to the main structure. Most people did; the statue had proudly stood there ever since the House first retook control of the province for Serendipity. The stone path they rode on split just in front of the statue, circling around it and led up to a small flight of stairs in front of the main entrance. There they would be able to see a group of servants waiting to take their horses to the stable for safe keeping, and to show them where there rooms were.

Sephiria knew that her daughter was going to come up eventually, and she was actually happy that Vethrys had asked about her now. It was better to get the matter out of the way as quickly as possible, than to have to deal with it later. "Calyse has been well. Unfortunately she had a matter she needed to attend to this morning. Hopefully she will return before the day is out." The key word there was 'hopefully.' She knew her daughter better than anyone else, and usually the girl didn't stay out until sunset. However it really came down to how much Calyse wanted to trouble her.

"I'm happy to hear that your brother has chosen the path of knighthood though, and he has grown a lot since I last saw him." she continued looking back at the younger boy riding with the others. He had been a baby the last time she had seen him, and like his other siblings he had grown to closely resemble his father. Only the second eldest hadn't quite looked like the High Lord during her last visit, but she hadn't seen him since he was young so he probably had developed similar features as he grew. Lord Emrys had very strong genes after all.

"But what of the rest of your family?" she asked turning back to face Vethrys. She had never met Emrys' youngest daughter before, and she had heard that his wife Vrenia had passed away a few years back. Then there was the Lord himself who she knew wasn't in the best of shape. He had been sick for as long as she had known him, and he seemed to be getting worst and worst as he got older. Occasionally he wasn't even able to make The Calling because of his health. "Has your father's condition improved any?"

Anonymous

Vethrys took note of the High Lady's uncertainty on the matter of her daughter, but didn't remark on it, merely nodded along.  She kept her destrier on tight rein until they reached the steps, where she pulled up beside Sephiria.  

"My father's health remains..."  She paused, pressing her lips together.  "... indifferent.  He doesn't lavish the same care on himself as he does on us,"  or on his library "but he is as stubbornly vital as any Thandryon, and, naturally, sends his regards."  Vethrys didn't like to think about her father's illness from a stranger's perspective.  She had always taken it for granted, the potions and possets he'd had to take as long as she could remember, and never believed it was something that could kill him.  Knew it, yes; believed it, no.  Still, Vethrys was quite aware the Lady Sephiria would be feeling her out in anticipation of her ascension to High Ladyship.  She would act accordingly.

She swung one leg over her horse's back, balanced neatly in one stirrup for a moment, then dropped to the balls of her feet.  A servant had already taken her unnamed destrier by the bridle.  Vethrys pondered warning him that the horse was a biter, then decided not to.  Instead, she turned back toward her squire and made a motion.  Yevan dismounted hastily and ran to fetch a large, flat, oblong package, which he carried handed off quickly to some of the High Lady's servants.  

Vethrys ducked her head politely in Sephiria's direction.  "A gift," she explained briefly.  "I should like to show it to you before we speak, if that's possible."

Xphy

While she did notice the slight pause Vethrys' made as she spoke of her father's health Sephiria chose not to ask about it. She saw need in doing so. The girl had little to gain from lying about such a thing after all. What she did take note of was what she said about how the High Lord took better care of his children than himself. As a parent herself she could understand such behavior, but at the same time she couldn't help wonder if it he was because he didn't see himself living for much longer. She really couldn't see an illness taking that man's life though, especially after having lived with it for so long.

Only time would tell she supposed.

As they rode up to where her servants were waiting she allowed one to take the reins of her horse, and dismounted to her left. As she moved away from the animal however she caught a glimpse of something that piqued her interest. One of the knights that was accompanying her guest had handed over a large wooden box to her servants. When she looked toward House Thandryon's heiress, the younger woman explained that it was in fact a present for her.

"A gift you say? Yes, that should be fine," she replied, examining it in search of a clue as to what was inside. The box had an unusual shape, one of its dimensions being significantly thinner than the other two, and there weren't many things that needed a box like that. She could help but wonder what its contents were, but she could wait until they were at least in a more private setting.

"Come, you can show it to me inside." With that Sephiria led Vethrys through Fort Algiery's large wooden doors and into its main hall. From there the High Lady's servants would lead her guest's guards to their respective rooms for a rest, while she led her toward a private room so they would be able to speak in private with the servants carrying the box not too far behind.

Anonymous

Vethrys followed the Lady Sephiria through the main hall, careful to slow her usually headlong pace.  She walked fast and took ground-eating strides when she was left to herself, but it was hardly polite to put her impatience on display when visiting the High Lady.  She kept to a swinging stroll and eyed the carved wooden fixtures in the hall, the candles that lit its alcoves... it wasn't the Horn, with its elegant marble floor, worked into a black-and-white spiral, but it was impressive enough, she supposed.

"Lovely," she said politely.  They reached a heavy wooden door, which someone in Feyal livery opened for them.  Vethrys followed Sephiria inside and gestured to the servants carrying her gift.  They began to take it out of its packaging.

"My lady--" she began, glancing up.  Too quickly, it turned out.  Her voice died when her eyes caught Sephiria's.  There was some green in them, she thought inanely.  She couldn't look away for a moment and found it was hard to breathe, as though she'd just come face-to-face with a Dragon.  Some sort of predatory animal.  Vethrys was never afraid, never.  Sephiria's hypnotic charm tugged at an ill-liked chord.  She hoped those eyes couldn't read something inside her, and she felt afraid they could--could dig something up, or.....

At length she wrenched her gaze away and took a breath, tongue going out to wet dry lips.  

"Pardon me, my lady," she whispered, composing herself.  She cleared her throat; one hand went to loosen her high, tight collar.  "You have the most captivating stare."  The understatement came dryly.  "I hope to admire it in more detail without that... effect."  

The gift she'd brought, a mirror set into a gold-gilt frame, with a salamander carved out of old unicorn's horn wound around its top, might help.  Sephiria's servants had brought it out of its packaging while she'd been speaking.  Vethrys opened one palm toward it, eyes downcast.

Xphy

Sephiria's gaze had wandered back and forth between Vethrys and the package as her servants went to work opening it, and unfortunately that had been a mistake. Despite the efforts made on both of their parts earlier the two women's eye had met, and as always it didn't turn out well for the other person. The High Lady's eyes had been both a blessing and a curse throughout her entire life. Sure they came in handy when dealing with her opponents both on and off the battlefield, but they had always been problematic when she met with allies. Even her own children would have broken out in tears when they were younger if she wasn't wearing her specially made glasses when she spent time with them.

To make matters even worse she hadn't even realized that she was staring into the Vethrys's eyes right away, the younger woman having to turn away under her own power. She felt a little sorry for her. While she had never actually experienced her own charm before, but she had been under the influence of her younger sister's so she knew how effective the charms that ran in her family could be.

"My apologies Lady Thandryon; it is my fault for not wearing my spectacles." She replied to Vethrys' comments on her eyes before turning toward one of the servants present. This time she was extra careful not to look anyone else in the eye. "Please ask my attendant to fetch them for me." Normally she would have at least had them on her person at all times when she was entertaining guests, but with daughter deciding to run off this morning she had been thrown off a bit. It was actually somewhat embarrassing.

As the servant left to locate her attendant she decided it was probably best to change the topic, her gazing wandering back toward the now uncovered mirror. It was a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, as to be expected of a product made in Falliel. Even she couldn't help but smile as she admired it, especially the salamander figure perch atop of it. "You have my gratitude. The mirror is lovely." She was going to have to find a good room to display it in later.

One thing bothered her though. She couldn't quite determine what material was used as a base for the lizard-like creature. "Might I inquire as to what material the salamander was carved out of?" she asked giving it another gaze. It definitely looked familiar, but she couldn't place it.

Anonymous

Vethrys moved to stand beside the High Lady, so they both looked in the mirror at once.  It was the safest way to avoid direct eye contact without undue impoliteness or difficulty.

"Unicorn ivory," she said, smiling into the mirror.  Sephiria should appreciate the rarity and expense of the material.  Unicorn hunting had been illegal in Fallial for years, so when they wanted to use the horn they relied on what they could find, or their modest store of antique stuff.  "A nice symbolic gesture, right?" she said wryly.  "We couldn't think of a better way to marry a salamander and a unicorn.  Well....."  Vethrys wrinkled her nose in the mirror.  It would be in bad taste to bring up an intermarriage in all bluntness, but she might suggest Calyse visit Stonesthrone or the Horn later.  Maybe she'd like one of Tarys's swords.  

Maybe she'd like that one.  

"Seriously," she said,  "I hope Fallial and Altas Verde can stand together, particularly in times like these.  Virtue is rare, as my family says."  Altas Verde shared a border with Tirial, Fallial's traditional close ally.  More to the point, House Thandryon had lent troops to House Feyal during border disputes with the Adelans.  Long ago as that had been, the old Houses remembered these sorts of things.  "Not everyone has the integrity of a Feyal, a Chauci, a Thandryon."  Vethrys flipped three fingers out in turn, still watching Sephiria in the mirror.  "We have always trusted your House."

Xphy

Sephiria couldn't help but cock an eyebrow when Vethrys' commented about the salamanders make up. 'Marry' certainly was an interesting way of putting things, and she could tell that the younger woman had intentionally chose to use it. It seemed to be a harmless joke though so she chose not to say anything about it. However she had to wonder if the heiress to the Thandryon name had some kind of ulterior motive for her visit. She would just have to wait and see.

She did appreciate the value of unicorn ivory though, and if there was a House that could get their hands on such a rare and valuable material it was Lord Emrys'. Hunting unicorns had been illegal in Falliel for quite some time now, and she imagined that most of the ivory that had been collected before then had to have already been used for something. Finding a horn, at least one that hadn't been carved yet would have been near impossible for any other family, and even for them it would have been a significant loss. She was even more grateful for the present now.

"I am grateful for your House's trust, and I agree that an alliance would serve both of our Houses and House Chauci well in these times." She replied giving Vethrys a good look over in the mirror to see her reaction. As she had said 'Virtue is rare' was the motto their family lived by, and Sephiria was more than aware of how they had helped her ancestors during Adela's succession. There had never been any bad blood between their families either so she had no reason to suspect them of having dishonorable intentions.

"As you have said not everyone has integrity, and there are those who might seek the throne for themselves while the king is away. That we cannot allow." To allow anyone to ascend the throne under the current circumstance was unacceptable in Sephiria's mind. Her family had always believed in serving the kingdom, and that ultimately meant serving its rightful king.

Anonymous

"Naturally not," Vethrys murmured, watching Sephiria's curiously-colored eyes in the mirror.  They didn't affect her this way, but they were still unusual to look at.  

She shifted her weight and smoothed the fabric of her breeches against her thighs.  She held the High Lady's gaze with her own in the mirror, aware that she could be commanding herself when she chose.  Then she cleared her throat, readying herself to change the subject.  Marriage wasn't the issue she'd really come to discuss.

"The trouble as I see it is threefold," she said, quietly enough that some of the roughness in her voice evened out.  "One, we don't know whether the king is alive or dead; we all hope, of course, but we must know.  Two, Lord Siilan is..."  She paused, then continued carefully.  "... missing as well, nor do we know if he is alive or dead, which would put the lie to any vote, I fear.  The regent may rule for now.  But assuming we discover the worst, can you see anyone else getting the eight votes, should it come to that?"  She spread her hands and widened her eyes, a signal that she was speaking frankly.  "I can't, nor could we proceed without sure knowledge of King... or the missing High Lord, anyway.  And thirdly, what with all this kidnapping or disappearance, I admit my father hardly knows whom to trust."  Her voice had turned a little rueful.  Lord Emrys's sometimes haughty paranoia wouldn't be new to Sephiria.  Emrys took their motto seriously.  

"And nor do I," Vethrys admitted, lifting her eyes to track reflections on the mirror's surface.  "And perhaps nor should we.  Trust the regent, trust the other High Lords, trust even the King's appointed men--at this point?"  Vethrys shrugged, attempting delicacy.  "So my father has ordered all the gold we mint kept back, and I am going to Arca to offer it all up for one purpose: that we find the King, and find Lorin Siilan."  She made a face.  "My father has gone so far as to say that anyone who so much as suggests a vote before the King is found should be treated as if they'd taken up arms and stormed Kia's Court.  For my part..."  Vethrys shrugged again.  "For my part, I'm simply on my way to see how the wind blows in Arca.  But what do you think, my Lady of Feyal?  You seem to be with us, but there are many ways to be loyal to King and custom; the Thandryon way may not be right by you."

Xphy

"If you ask of my opinion, it too is that any Lord or Lady that speaks of a vote is one not to be trusted. It is as you have said; the law states that no vote may be held without definitive proof of the King's passing." Sephiria replied, returning Vethrys' gaze in the mirror and folding her arms at her waist. "I also agree that is it unlikely that anyone would be able to achieve the necessary number even if an illegal one were to occur. Between us Lords and Ladies that hold firm to the law, and those driven by their own greed gaining eight votes would require a miracle for even the most worthy."

A miracle indeed... If it came down to it she would abstain from voting on principle and illegitimacy, and based on what Thandryon's heir apparent had said (and the man's stubbornness) he would definitely do the same. Also with Lorin Sillan missing, and Lady Chauci likely to side with Thandryon as her House has done on so many occasions that left only seven Houses that would vote, when a person needed eight. Hell, she doubted anyone could even garner the support of all seven remaining Houses anyway.

"As for the King's health..." she continued, taking only a brief pause to consider if she should say what she really thought on the matter. She it was best to, even if it might be taken as extreme by some. "I would go so far as to say that it is completely irrelevant at that point." And it was true, barring one of the Great House's being behind the kidnapping. No matter how much people speculated about it ultimately it would not change whether or not he was indeed alive or not. Not to mention without proof of his death there was nothing anyone could do under the law. All speculation was nothing more than a distraction from what was really important in her eyes.

"Like you I too hope for his safety, but no amount of discussion will change whether he is still among us or not. The only thing that does matter at the moment is that we find any and everyone responsible for his abduction, and see to it that they meet an appropriate end for dishonoring our precious kingdom." These words were said with the upmost conviction and sincerity. More than anything else she wanted the blood of each and every individual behind Fenway's kidnapping to stain the gallows of a Serenian prison. It was only suitable recourse for their actions. They could worry about the King's health when that was over and done with.

"My only concern about your father's stance is how readily he would point his sword on his countrymen. As much as I agree that anyone that would call for a vote deserves nothing less, I would not go to that extreme based solely on a mere suggestion." She continued, giving Vethrys a good look to gauge her reaction. If it were constant pushing and pressuring for one then she would give serious thought to taking up arms, but not at a simple suggestion. Her father had always told her that one must always take some level of care when bearing a sword against their countrymen, especially in times like these. Not to mention the last thing Serendipity needed was infighting weakening its stability.

"Should strong evidence arise of their treachery then my House and those under its control shall willingly raise our flags for their destruction, but never before then."

Anonymous

"Oh, don't worry," Vethrys said.  She braced her hands on her hips and shook her head unconcernedly.  The small braid at her nape whipped to sting her cheek.  "My lord father may be quick to point his sword, but he's slow to use it.  Don't take him at his word.  Rather take his word as... word.  Only word.  Statement, warning.  Threat."

Vethrys made a dismissive motion, then sidled closer to Sephiria, eying her only in the mirror.  She touched a hand to her upper arm.  The other woman was only two or three inches shorter than she, but that difference felt more sizeable up close.  

"But maybe he is too hasty," she added thoughtfully.  "We must trust our countrymen, from fair Jadenshine to Darken Vei" naming the least trustworthy Lords she could think of.  "Maybe it's true that the Connlaothans have him, taken from Cerenis and overseas, as the Lord Knight Commander claims.  With some Mordecai to dampen any seeking magic, to explain why our searches have turned up nothing.  And maybe he is as alive and well as we must assume he is.  Maybe they're just too embarrassed to admit they have him.  Maybe Lord Siilan's disappearance is entirely unrelated.  After all, Ravensway is so far from Connlaoth.  I know!"  She took her hand off Lady Sephiria's shoulder and took a step back, smiling disarmingly.  She was joking now, enjoying herself.  "The Adelans took Lord Siilan because the Connlaothans had the King.  They're in competition to collect Serenian leaders.  Twenty points for the King.  I think you're worth at least fifteen, so I should take care."  She appraised the High Lady in the mirror.  "Sixteen on a good day."

She made mock of the whole thing, because they had so frustratingly little to go on.  Her father's Hawks had turned up nothing more than the barest of trails, and all false.  The King's men had had as little success.  Best to leave the matter to sort itself out and talk of other things, now that she'd tried to make the right sort of impression.  Other things: marriage, alliance made new.

Who benefits from the King's disappearance? Vethrys had asked herself, thinking it over in idle moments late at night, after she'd sent Aldrio or whomever else away, before she could sleep.  The Province rulers, she had concluded.  

All of us.

Xphy

Sephiria merely nodded as Vethrys told her that Emrys only meant it as a threat, and not actual policy. She wasn't so sure about it, but she would give the younger woman the benefit of the doubt since she probably knew her father far better than she did. She did manage to smirk a little but when the girl's mockery though. The sad thing was that as outrageous as it sounded it was just as valid as any of the other theory of what had actually happened. There were so few leads to go one, which either spoke volumes about how good Fenway's kidnappers were or the incompetence of Lord Knight Commander and the militia in Kia's Court.

Probably a little bit of both...

She was about to add something to the theory but stopped when she noticed her attendant standing behind them in the mirror, in her hands a white cloth with the High Lady's glasses inside. It was about time. As interesting as using the mirror to address one another was, it lacked the intimacy of speaking face to face. Not to mention it limited where they were able to speak as well. Surely they couldn't have the mirror transported everywhere they went. The only problem was now she would have to put up with looking through those lenses for a little while. They tended to strain her eyes a bit when she wore them for prolonged periods.

After signaling for her attendant to approach the woman walked forward and presented her with the spectacles, then politely excused herself from their presence. Sephiria then proceeded to place the frames on her nose before turning around to face Vethrys, looking the younger woman directly in the eye. This time there was no need to worry about her charm. The glasses had been specifically runed to block it out for her.

"Much better, wouldn't you agree?" Though it was a question it was said more like a statement. She already knew no one enjoyed making eye contact with her, and she couldn't really blame them. If she was able to look into her own eyes she probably wouldn't either.

"Here, have a seat, and make yourself comfortable," she continued, gesturing toward a decorative sofa set, arranged so that the pieces surrounded a small wooden coffee table. She couldn't have her guest stand for her entire visit now could she? That would have been impolite. "Also if there is anything you desire please do not hesitate to ask."

With that said she gave Vethrys an amused smile. "And for the record, for a mere 15 points the amount of effort they would need to put in it wouldn't be worth it."

Anonymous

Comfortable?  Vethrys was on the verge of saying she'd prefer to stand, but that wouldn't be politic.  Or polite, even if it was true.  So she nodded, looking into those disconcerting eyes--even when shielded by glass they reminded her of that earlier unpleasant feeling.  Then she moved toward one of the offered cushioned seats and flung herself down in a muted version of her usual sprawl.  She kept her back straight and feet planted on the floor, and her elbows firmly on the armrests.  Her fingers, as always, stayed busy, meeting and tapping at the tips in the empty space over her lap.

"And you, my lady," she added belatedly, making a gesture toward the sofa across from her.  "Looking at you face-to-face I can see you must be worth at least seventeen--so I'll guard you with my life, I promise."  She patted the handle of the dagger in her belt.  She'd left her sword with her squire, of course.

Vethrys wasn't quite flirting with the High Lady, but she settled most easily into half-physical flattery.  It was the best way, almost the only, way she knew of to win people over.  Being nice without overtones of aggression was too difficult.

"Ah, enough of things I'm ignorant of.  My father's the one organizing our searchers."  Vethrys shifted in her seat and rubbed her palms together.  "Now, is there anything you'd like to ask of House Thandryon?  We'd thought to offer your daughter our hospitality as you've offered me yours."

Xphy

If Vethrys was trying to win Sephiria's favor through compliments she certainly had gained it. While the High Lady of Altas Verde wasn't really a vain person there were few people in the world that were completely immune to flattery, even among those that claimed otherwise. Then again it wasn't as though she had held a negative view of the heiress in the first place. Her House had always held a greater amount of respect for the Thandryons than most of the other Great House, their motto and views being closely in line with what they believed.

Also there was the fact that the younger woman had pursued knighthood. Sephiria respected knights greatly, especially those that had a choice in the matter and as an heiress Vethrys definitely had had a choice. Of course she didn't know the exact reasons her guest had decided to train toward becoming a knight, but in the end they mattered little to her. All that mattered was that the girl had taken an oath to serve her country with her life, and if she held to her families motto that was what she was willing to do.

As she moved over to take a seat in the sofa across from her guest the High Lady couldn't help but notice the woman's posture. If that was what Vethrys called comfortable the woman was even stiffer than she was. Then again she might have been nervous, which was understandable if that was the case. Being in someone else's home, especially someone of high status tended to have that effect on people from what she had seen.

When Vethrys asked her if there was anything she wanted to ask of her House Sephiria gave very little thought before answering. "I cannot say that there is much I need to ask of your family at the moment. My House and province have been quite happy with the current arrangements." There really wasn't much she needed, and she was a far cry from being as greedy as some of the other Lords and Ladies. Faesteel naturally had always been the main import from Falliel, and between what was brought in and the metals that were produced locally they had never had much of a need for more. "Of course, if there is something you wish to ask of my House there is no need to hesitate.

"Also if your family wishes to welcome Calyse then arrangements for her travels can easily be made. I believe my daughter stands to gain a lot through meeting your father."