Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fate Ripper

Started by visualspice, August 08, 2021, 07:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

How much time had truly passed? It must've felt like hours as she lay still.  But after so much time,  she gently and quietly began to stir.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

CounterfeitFish

To the priest, it did feel like hours had gone by. All of that time, alone with nothing but his thoughts. Twice now, his spell had been ruined, and the second one almost cost him his life, or at least his sanity. This was starting to become more trouble than it was worth, though Krenth wasn't going to give up. Even if he had to lock himself in the basement for the entire day, he would eventually speak with his god.

His thoughts were interrupted by Narophne quietly stirring. The priest approached the pale girl, kneeling down. He shook her once more, hoping to truly awaken her.  "Wake up, Narophne. I must know what has happened!"

visualspice

When Krenth shook her she jerked awake, gasping slightly and drawing away from him.
"Wh.. what.. what happened ?" She stammered, eyes wide as she peered into his eyes,  concern and confusion evident on her delicate features.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

CounterfeitFish

Krenth's eyes were unreadable, especially now that he had been corrupted even further. However, he could tell how Naro was feeling, to a degree. He backed up a bit, still looking at the girl in front of him.

"My spell failed. I was going to die here, in this very room. I knew it, I felt the spell backfire. And yet, when you touched me...it was like you took the power into yourself. You saved my life, Narophne Telgve. For that, I am in your debt."

The tall man paused, still trying to figure out exactly what happened. "And yet, just as you saved my life, you nearly ended it..." Oh yeah, she almost killed him. Inadvertently, yes, but it still could have happened. Anger began to spread across his face, and vanish just as quickly as it appeared. He had to remain calm, collected. Now was not a time of emotion. "What were you thinking? What exactly caused you to disrupt my spell?"

visualspice

Confusion twisted on her delicate features as she peered down at herself then back to him.

"I... saved you?" At the speak of the siphoning of power, she tilted her head curiously,  her expression crinkled as she tried to remember what happened.

But then she felt his anger before she saw it and the next question was pressed. Her gaze instantly dropped , and her heart and belly sank at the recollection, but for the life of her no words could come out except for a trembling apology.

"I... I was only trying to help.. hoping... you weren't going to be disturbed." All the good that did her! Apparently her attempt to help nearly had him killed.  Perhaps she should have left him alone. To.. do do what he must in peace. She swallowed the knot in her throat but kept her eyes downcast,  too heavy with guilt to look him in the eyes. And she didn't want to have him see her crying again,  because she could feel hot tears as they began to blur her vision as she stared at the floor, pale hair covering her face in a limp veil.

CounterfeitFish

As she lowered her head, Krenth let out a loud sigh. He was still angry, incredibly so. However, even he could tell how upset Narophne was. He was barely able to keep himself in check after what happened, but he was able to do it. Sighing once more, the priest finally spoke.

"Your....assistance...is appreciated. However...I must ask that you consider the consequences of your actions BEFORE you go through with them. What happened was an accident, yes, but it was nearly a fatal one." Having said what he wanted, the man stood up and returned to the chaise.

Closing his eyes, Krenth began to meditate. He decided he wouldn't try his spells until he was properly secluded, so he would try and relax for the moment. After a few moments, he sighed for a third time and opened one eye. Looking at Narophne, he couldn't help but feel slightly bad for her. "If it means anything....I forgive you. However, mind your actions in the future. Accident or not, my forgiveness can only extend so far." His voice was mostly level, though there were hints of irritation and sadness.

Maybe he was just getting soft, but he couldn't help but feel bad for Narophne. It was an accident, after all.

visualspice

Her emotions were already fractured as she could feel the tears already breaking through and rolling hotly down her cheeks.  She tensed and dropped her gaze further,  shoulders slumping forward as she moved uneasily on the chaise .  Any words or noises in reply were croaky and weak at best when something bumped her arm and caused her to yelp and jerk back.

It was Lucy. The cat was rubbing against her legs and peering up at her with curious blue eyes. Then it moved and proceeded to approach Krenth, who it sniffed towards as its ears pressed back with uncertainty.

She looked away as the cat approached the priest and took a moment to quickly wipe away her tears.

"Perhaps I should return to my room.."
She wasn't sure she could truly sleep after all that occurred,  as her heart was still hammering anxiously inside her chest .

CounterfeitFish

One of his eyes snapped open as Narophne yelled, though it soon closed once more as he saw it was just a cat. The priest picked up the cat by the scruff and tossed her away. It wasn't exactly mean or painful, but it was far from gentle. Having removed the annoyance, Krenth returned to his meditation.

"Very well. Should you need me, I will be here. I cannot sleep, and I lack the time or space to do my spells. Goodnight, Narophne Telgve." Krenth did not even open his eyes as he spoke. It was clear that although he was no longer angry, he was still irritated by Naro.

visualspice

The cat was the first to exit the room- and with haste! Narophne only managed to mutter a soft 'Goodnight' before she too, disappeared out the door and down the hall towards her room. Once outside, she released a long breath and brushed away more tears. She needed to rest- and the priest needed his space. But after everything that had happened today...

Her mind was in a whirl and she didn't remember the journey back to her room. Once inside, she shakily lit a candle and fumbled to shift it closer to the center of the table- fearful she might bump it over. She tried to smooth one hand over the other to stop the shaking, but...

It was just too much. It had all been too much, and soon Naro found herself sobbing uncontrollably so.

A moment later, she realized she wasn't alone when the old maid returned, moving steadily before sitting beside her on the bed and taking her into her arms. It only caused Naro to cry louder as the old woman simply held her, soothing her and stroking her head. Whatever words she spoke, Naro did not know. She needed to cry. And cry she did.

CounterfeitFish

The priest mumbled a goodnight in return, then began to chant those odd, unspeakable words from before. However, it was clear that this was no spell- only a mantra of sorts, something to focus the mind and calm the soul.

Krenth was furious, at Narophne and himself. He was getting soft, showing forgiveness where it was not deserved, making exceptions in situations he never would have made in the past. Everything seemed to be working against him, as if the world itself hated the man. However, he would not let these setbacks affect him too badly. He was Krenth Sarthin, blessed priest of Yxdes, and he could not fail. Not now, after everything he has done, all that he has worked for.

visualspice

It must've been an endless night, for Naro eventually found sleep but stirred barely an hour later, alone and gasping awake from a nightmare. She thought she saw something, but as her eyes adjusted to the dark.. it was nothing.

Still, she trembled and slipped out of the bed, finding her feet leading her towards Krenth and she froze before ever reaching where he might be. She chewed on her lip. What was wrong with her? She should be sleeping...
Hadn't she disturbed the man enough?

CounterfeitFish

After such a long time, even the significantly long chants and mantras would have been over for quite a while. Instead of hearing his low, whispery words from outside the library, there would have been naught but silence. Deep, endless silence...

Suddenly, the door was thrown open, and Krenth walked out of the once-pleasant room. He was holding his head in one of his hands, sighing. It was clear to any onlooker that he was utterly exhausted, his energy drained and sapped beyond belief. He looked tired, so very tired...that was, until he spotted Naro. In an instant, his neutral expression returned, albeit with a tinge of irritation. He nodded in acknowledgment, his now-darkened eyes unreadable.

"Narophne. Did you need something from me, or may I attempt to get what little sleep I can for this night?" Was he being cruel? Certainly. Did he care? Nope, not in the slightest.

visualspice

Narophne flinched. She should have stayed in bed.  But she was already there, and instantly dropped her gaze to her feet.

"I'm sorry. I just happened to be walking down the hall.." she went on, fidgeting with her hair. "Because..Because I couldn't sleep. "

Although even youthful as she may be, the young woman looked incredibly exhausted and on edge, peering over her shoulder worriedly,  as if she thought she was being followed.

CounterfeitFish

Maybe, maybe she should have. Krenth was tired, angry and armed- a dangerous combination, had she been anybody else. Instead of violence, however, he would simply respond with his next best weapon: harsh words. "You could not sleep, you say? That sounds like an issue for you, not me." Krenth knew of Naro's plight, what she was going through, and yet he did not care. She would adapt on her own, or circumstances would FORCE her to adapt. It was that simple.

Krenth peered over Naro's shoulder, mildly interested about what she was trying to find. "What is it, girl? You are acting like you have seen a ghost- just what is it that you keep looking at?"

visualspice

She avoided his gaze, dropping it to the floor as she nervously rubbed at a shoulder.

"It.. it's nothing," She hastily replied. "I hadn't intended to disturb you. You should rest. " Show bowed her head towards him and moved to continue walking down the hall, but spared a subtle glance over her shoulder-just incase it wasn't a dream.

CounterfeitFish

Krenth narrowed his eyes, focusing his gaze on the shadowy area behind Narophne. Just what was she looking at? Or, what was she looking for? That was what Krenth wanted to know...

"As should you. Especially after today's events, your mind and body need rest. You should sleep as soon as you are able." Although he was upset with her, Krenth could not deny that Naro's safety(and, to an extent, her wellbeing) was a high priority. So, it would not do for her to be wandering the halls all night.

"I am going to retire to..." Krenth chuckled, though it lacked any humour. "I nearly said my quarters. I shall retire to the room I have been granted. I suggest you do the same- who knows, maybe that foolish maid can sing you a lullaby, if sleeping is so difficult."

He laughed once more, then started to make his way to his room, turning his back on Naro.

visualspice

Krenth would not be able to begin to understand the extent of Narophne's imagination. For most of her adult life, it was all she had, aside from the few times Glessa was almost maternal with her.  In truth, Narophne did view the maid more like family, and she did consider seeking her out to  comfort her on this night.  She wasn't sure she could sleep,  and she wasn't sure Glessa would still be awake either.

When Krenth turned his back to her she frowned. He was probably right that she should sleep. But there was no way she'd be able to at this hour. The sun would rise in a few short hours, and Narophne barely slept through the hours when the sun was up.

She too, turned away from Krenth and ventured the halls towards the pantry, hoping some sort of food or drink would settle her nerves.  She hadn't made it past the bottom of the Grand staircase when she spotted something move and nearly knocked over an heirloom vase.

Glessa stepped out to catch it and gave the young woman a stern glance.
"Narophne, child,  why on earth are you still awake?"

But her answer came when she suddenly through her arms around the older woman, her very scent calming her as she fought back tears.

"Oh,Glessa, I can hardly sleep after all that's happened!"

The older woman's face wrinkled into a frown. She tipped Narophne's chin up with a finger and spotted the tears. She produced a kerchief and fussed over the girl and ushered her into the kitchen where she sat the girl down at the counter and fetched her a fresh glass of milk and some Raspberry tarts that had been left over from a few nights ago.

Narophne hadn't touched much of the tart but finished her glass of milk while talking softly with the old woman until it seemed her nerves began to calm and her eyelids grew heavy. And before the girl knew it...she had drifted off into a very heavy sleep.