Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One More Look at the Ghost [MorningStar!] [M]

Started by Rhindeer, December 27, 2023, 03:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Spike removed his coat with sudden urgency and laid it around Fang's shoulders before she had time to wonder about it, the fabric still warm from his body heat and smelling, pleasantly, like him. A little shiver went through her as the heat seeped into her skin, and she realized then just how chilled she'd been and just how stubbornly she'd been ignoring it.

Absolutely swimming in the coat, Fang shimmied her arms through the sleeves and felt a little silly for how it draped around her like a dress with floppy arms, but...you know what? She was not going to fight this. She rolled the sleeves up to her elbows to free up her hands before sliding her hand back into Spike's, flashing him a grateful smile. "Thank you."

As for his suggestions? Oh yes, she remembered him taking coffee last time, and while it smelled nice, she could never get past the bitterness. The chai concoction on the other hand sounded...interesting.

"Spice...chai-der...?" she repeated slowly, trying to wrap her head around the idea. She did love chai (and the spicier the better), but apples? Hmm...

Well, what was the point of being in a new country if not to try new things?

"Why not? That sounds like it could be fun," she said at last. "What kind of coffee are you—"

She cut off, because that was when a weight on her shoulder sent a cold chill up her spine despite the coat's warmth.

It wasn't really a weight so much as an oppressive...energy. Lawrence was there, mocking Spike, and Fang shot Spike a look, eyebrows raised. Even in Thanatos she knew better than to react publicly when she encountered a spirit, at least not without explaining herself, lest she looked like she was talking to herself. But in Serendipity? The country that drove her people out for speaking with the dead, deeming it necromancy? She didn't dare. So she smiled at Spike, a smile that said she saw what he saw, and stepped up to the counter with him when it was their turn, her hand firmly gripping his.

The man behind the counter hid a yawn behind his hand as they approached, his expression bored and eyes shadowed with sleep deprivation. "Welcome, what can I get for--"

He flicked a look at Fang, a quick up and down look with an arched brow, and then at Spike. "What can I get for ya?" he finished, and it didn't escape Fang's notice that he was focused entirely on Spike rather than addressing them together.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

MorningStar

As Spike and Fang stood before the counter, Spike couldn't help but notice the subtle shift in the man behind the counter's demeanor. His eyes bore a hint of skepticism, disapproval, and even a touch of discrimination as they glanced over Fang and settled on himself. Determined to address the situation head-on, Spike made a deliberate show of wrapping his arm around Fang's waist, pulling her close to his side. Clearing his throat, he met the man's gaze with a steely resolve.

"You can take my wife's order," Spike declared firmly, his voice leaving no room for argument, and his tone a bit more intimidating than he wanted it to be.

He had no real motive to introduce Fang as his wife in this situation. They weren't facing any trouble or scrutiny that warranted such a disguise. But in a spontaneous moment of defiance, Spike decided to go with it anyway. It just felt like the right thing to say in the moment.

Rhindeer

Aaaaaand they were married again.

Spike pulled her in close and announced her as his wife, and Fang felt her cheeks turn to flame. W-what? This again?! Despite the fact that they had been smashing body parts together not hours earlier, it was this that never failed to fluster her. Well, it was the other thing too, certainly, but this? And to do it so publicly?

She hadn't been about to speak up, prepared to let this slide under the rug so they could move on from the uncomfortable situation fast, but Spike had other ideas. While her typical way of dealing with these situations was to not make waves, Spike on the other hand refused to let such disrespect fly.

The man's eyes widened at Spike's announcement, eyebrows climbing to his hairline, and he raised his hands in a placating gesture. "Sorry, sorry, I didn't mean--right! Yeah! Of course. What can I get you...ma'am?"

"Uhh, it's okay, really!" Fang said quickly, shrinking against Spike's side. It felt like too many people were looking now and she just desperately wanted out of this line! "It's fine, it's...right! I'll just, um, I'll have...what was it? The Spider? Yes, may I have the Spider Chai, please?"

The man stared, blinking slowly. "Pardon? The...what chai?"

Fang shot Spike a panicked look. "The Spider, right? The chai with the apples and...stuff...?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

MorningStar

It was at that exact moment Spike knew he had fallen in love with Fang.

Yet, despite his outward display of confidence and the pride he felt in openly referring to her as his wife, holding her close for all to see, the facade crumbled with just two simple words.

Spider Chai.

He resisted the urge to facepalm, opting instead for a small, muffled laugh as he glanced downward briefly. "Um... Spice Chai-Der," he corrected the barista, "and a cinnamon spice mocha, please."

"Oh!" The barista's response was genuinely and surprisingly warm, the correction eliciting a smile from him. "Of course. Coming right up! Take a seat, we'll bring it out when it's ready."

Spike quickly paid for their drinks before gently taking Fang's hand, leading her to their seats with an amused grin. As they walked, he leaned in close and whispered, "Okay, let's sit here, my spider wife."

Rhindeer

...Spice Chai-Der.

Spice Chai-Der.

Not Spider Chai.

It was in that moment, as Spike gently corrected the barista and what she'd said sank in, that Fang wanted to die

Her face was burning and she was aggressively NOT making eye contact with anyone as Spike lead her to the table—and then Spike leaned in and whispered to her. Spider wife. With a soft groan, she slid into the seat and deflated forward onto the table with her face buried in her arms, her shoulders shaking with horrified laughter.

"I can never come here again," she said, voice muffled against her arms. "They must think me an absolute imbecile!"

MorningStar

Spike settled into the seat across from Fang, a playful glint dancing in his eyes as he extended his leg under the table to gently touch hers. With a warm smile, he reached out and clasped her arm, his touch reassuring and affectionate. Despite the lingering stares of the spirits around them, Spike was completely absorbed in the moment.

The tantalizing aroma of their order, a blend of spiced chai, cider, and mocha, wafted through the air, enveloping them in its comforting embrace. Spike couldn't help but inhale deeply, savoring the rich scent that teased his senses.

With a teasing tone, Spike leaned in closer to Fang, his voice laced with humor. "Oh, I don't know," he began. "It was an honest mistake... and pretty cute, if you ask me. Maybe the next time we come here, they'll have a 'Spider Chai' on the menu just for you.

He just wouldn't tell her about the actual spider he just saw skitter across the floor.

Rhindeer

Fang finally lifted her head enough to peek up over her arms when Spike gently touched her and reassured her. It was an honest mistake, he said, and...cute? Her cheeks were still hot, but they were cooling after sitting there in her shame for a bit, and she couldn't help but give a soft, sheepish laugh.

Which turned into another groan at his suggestion that they might name a drink after her flub, her hand rubbing at her face. "Noooo...oh that would be the worst. What would that even taste like? Who would order that? I wouldn't order that!"

At least the beverages brought to their table smelled nice. But as she glanced over at them, sitting up a little straighter, her head tilted in curiosity. There was something creamy on top of both of theirs, swirled up into a peak.

Scooting her mug closer to her, she blinked down at it. "What's that on top?" she whispered to Spike, still trying not to make a complete fool of herself.

MorningStar

Fang barely had time to finish her sentence before Spike took a sip of his drink, the rich mocha gliding down his throat and enveloping him in a comforting warmth. Nothing like pairing a tough exterior with a cozy beverage. Unintentionally (and unnoticed), he missed the topping, leaving a dollop of cream lingering on his nose as he turned his attention back to her.

"It's whipped cream," he said, taking another sip, the creamy topping still on full display on his nose. "It's made from..."

Right, how to best explain this?

"Whipped cream."

Rhindeer

Whipped...cream?

On an impulse, Fang reached out and rubbed her thumb over the tip Spike's nose, wiping away the dollop with an amused smile. Speaking of cute, it was hard not to giggle outright at the sight of how messy he was, but she didn't want to be rude and bit her lip to keep it in. 

"Sorry, you had some..." She motioned to her own face and wiped her thumb off on a cloth napkin.

Flicking her eyes back down to her own beverage, she gave it a curious look. "Oh, so like coconut cream?" she asked, and took a little sip.

Well. That was definitely not coconut.

It was sweet but strange, almost sour beneath the sweetness and stuck to her tongue and throat, and suddenly she recognized the flavor. She had only had dairy once before that, also by accident; it wasn't common in Thanatos at all, and while most Thanati were pescatarian or vegetarian, some chose not to consume animal ingredients at all. Like her. She made a face, wiping her mouth on a napkin, and shot Spike an awkward look as she tried to figure out how exactly to navigate this, suddenly realizing...well, duh. They were in Serendipity. But she hadn't even had time to think about how on earth she was going to handle the whole food thing!

"Umm...you want my whipped cream?" she asked, picking up a spoon that she could use to scoop it up.

MorningStar

Spike offered Fang a gracious grin, though a hint of embarrassment tinged his expression as she wiped the whipped cream off his face. "Thanks," he said sheepishly.

But then his brow furrowed slightly as he observed her reaction to the whipped cream topping on her drink. Did she not enjoy it? Was it bad? Sour? He took a moment to taste his own, ensuring it hadn't spoiled, and found it still deliciously sweet. Despite his efforts to avoid it, another dollop of whipped cream found its way to his nose, once again unnoticed by him.

"You don't like it?" Spike asked, a hint of concern creeping into his voice. He couldn't help but feel a pang of disappointment, worried that he might have chosen the wrong drink for her.

Rhindeer

Ah! Fang waved her hands quickly, shaking her head.

"No, no! The, ah, the spider part--I mean, chai? Cider? That part! The drink itself tastes lovely!" she said quickly, picking up on his concern--and disappointment. After all, he had recommended it to her, and suddenly she felt a small pang of concern herself. She didn't want him to feel bad! He'd done nothing wrong!

Shifting in her seat, she cleared her throat. "It's just, mm...how do I put this? It's...animal milk, yes?" Her shoulders hunched, realizing she was probably not doing a very good job of phrasing this, but then again, she'd never had to explain herself in Thanatos! She winced. "I don't...um...I've never..."

She played with the spoon, searching for the right phrasing: honesty without being offensive to his own culture.

"I don't eat animal things...?"

MorningStar

Spike listened attentively to Fang's explanation, a tinge of guilt washing over him as he realized he hadn't considered her dietary preferences before suggesting the cafe. He mentally chided himself for not asking beforehand, wishing he could turn back time and avoid this awkward situation altogether.

"I see. I'm sorry-" he began, ready to apologize, but before he could finish his sentence, a blood-curdling scream pierced the air. "SPIKE!"

The scream seemed to echo in his very soul, sending a chill down his spine. His heart pounding, Spike turned abruptly to see Maya's ghostly apparition materialize right next to him, her spectral form leaning in close, her anguished face inches from his own.

"Maya..." he whispered, his voice barely audible over the roar of his own heartbeat.

Maya's appearance was hauntingly tragic. Her ghostly figure bore the marks of her torment, with cuts marring her neck and tears streaming down her translucent cheeks. The anguish in her eyes mirrored the agony of her voice, and Spike felt the tension in the air build around her tortured spirit.

For a moment, his guard slipped, and some of his own coffee spilled over the edge of his cup as he recoiled in shock. Despite the chaos unfolding around him, he couldn't tear his gaze away from Maya's haunting form, his mind swirling with guilt.

Maya's spectral voice pierced the air like a mournful wail, her words echoing with an intensity that sent shivers down Spike's spine.

"I loved you, Spike!" she cried out, her voice filled with anguish and betrayal. "I loved you with all my heart, and you... you killed me! Why, Spike? Why did you do it? Why did you betray me?"

Her words cut through the air like a knife, each accusation striking Spike's heart with a force that threatened to overwhelm him. The pain in Maya's voice was agonizing, her ghostly form trembling with the weight of her sorrow.

"I trusted you, Spike," she continued, her voice cracking with emotion. "I believed in you, and you... you destroyed me. How could you? How could you do this to me?"

As Spike began to open his mouth to respond to Maya's accusations, a wave of confusion swept over him. This wasn't right. He didn't know Maya outside of his contract, and Maya had certainly never laid eyes on him before. Yet here she was, accusing him of betrayal and professing her love for him as if they shared a history together.

The memories flooded into Spike's mind, vivid and disorienting. Scenes of laughter and intimacy intertwined with moments of anger and betrayal, all playing out in his mind's eye with a clarity that left him reeling. But how could these memories be real? It didn't make sense.

Frustration gnawed at Spike's insides as he struggled to make sense of the situation. This couldn't be happening. This couldn't be real. And yet, her presence was undeniable, her anguish cutting through him like a knife.

With a heavy heart, Spike forced himself to push aside the confusion and focus on the present. There would be time to unravel the mystery later. For now, he had to deal with the ghostly apparition before him and find a way to put an end to Maya's torment.

He turned to Fang. "We should go."

Rhindeer

Ahhh! Was he apologizing? Fang waved her hands, about to try to cut him off (it was okay! He didn't know! She should have realized! And really it was just the topping, she could drink the rest!) but that blood-curdling scream made her jump, and all other thoughts fled.

It was one heart-pounding moment before she realized the scream came from a dead woman, not anyone living.

It was always such an experienced encountering a situation like this while surrounded by living people in a busy place. It was always surreal and a little difficult—because she had to pretend not to notice or react. That seemed doubly critical here in Serendipity, because you know doing the thing that got your people chased off the continent was just a fabulous idea! So Fang listened, idly scraping whipped cream off her drink and putting it into Spike's mug—but then the woman said something that made her freeze.

What...?

She loved him?

Fang stared at Maya in blank-faced confusion, because none of it made an ounce of sense. Hadn't Spike said he wasn't allowed to have contact with women? When they were intimate, hadn't he said she was his first? Well...no...wait. That wasn't exactly what he'd said. Fang had assumed they were both virgins, but his exact words were that he was new to it. Which could mean their particular situation, not sex as a whole...maybe.

But that would be such a strange thing to lie about—what would be the point? Fang certainly didn't care either way. And it just didn't seem like Spike to lie, anyway.

Speaking of Spike, he looked just as perplexed as she felt...

Something wasn't right.

Taking a final sip of her spider—chai-der!—Fang nodded and rose to her feet, holding her hand out to Spike. "I suppose so," she said, selfishly not quite ready to leave, but knowing they needed to.

"You'll have to tell me about Maya as we walk."

MorningStar

Spike finished his drink with a hurried gulp, oblivious to the fact that Fang had added whipped cream to his cup. As he stood up, he took her offered hand, and tried to offer a smile through all the noise. However, as he took one last look around, he noticed a few amused glances directed his way. Confused, he reached up to scratch his nose and felt the telltale stickiness of whipped cream. He quickly wiped away the creamy residue, but missed a few stray specks, inadvertently giving himself a makeshift whipped cream mustache.

He couldn't help it. He was distracted.

As Spike and Fang made their way towards the exit, the noise in the cafe became excruciating. Maya's tormented screams reverberated through Spike's skull, each one piercing deeper than the last. Her protests of a lover's scorn escalated into violent outbursts, filling the air with a chilling intensity. Alongside Maya's cries, the buzz of other spirits grew louder, their restless energy palpable in the air. Adding to the cacophony was the haunting laughter of Lawrence, echoing with a manic fervor that could have sent Spike into a blind rage.

With each step towards the exit, the noise seemed to amplify, drowning out anything and everything else. The relentless onslaught of sound felt suffocating, overwhelming his senses and clouding his thoughts. Spike gritted his teeth, trying to block out the haunting symphony assaulting his ears, but it was futile.

Finally, they reached the door leading out into the city streets. As they stepped through, the bustling noise of the city greeted them, but something strange happened. The moment the door closed behind them, everything fell eerily quiet. The abrupt silence was deafening after the cacophony he had just endured, leaving him standing in stunned disbelief. It was as if the chaos of the cafe had been left behind, sealed away in that small, ghostly realm they had just escaped.

Spike just needed a moment. He needed to breathe.

Rhindeer

It was a strange experience going from shrieking chaos to...quiet. It was nothing quite like anything Fang had experienced; spirits ignored the physical laws of the real world, so you couldn't just shut a door in their face and be done with it. And yet that was exactly what happened: as soon as they crossed through the door, it was as though they had crossed over both the physical threshold...but also a spiritual one, as well.

Silence. Just the usual clamor of a busy city, but nothing supernatural.

That's was...new.

Outside, Fang heaved a breath she hadn't realized she was holding and rubbed at her temples. No matter how much practice she'd had, some things you just never really got used to, even if it you learned how to cope with it better. Not reacting was one of those things, and once they were outside it felt like a tight band around her chest had been loosened.

Drawing in another deep breath, she looked up at Spike and squeezed his hand. "You okay?" she asked—and on an impulse she reached up and wiped at his lip where more whipped cream was smeared. 

MorningStar

Spike's face flushed slightly as Fang wiped near his lip, feeling a little silly and overwhelmed by the sudden rush of emotions and confusion. "Yes, I... actually, no. I'm not. I don't understand," he stammered, his mind racing with a whirlwind of thoughts and doubts.

Why was he suddenly experiencing vivid visions of a past life with Maya, as if they were lovers deeply connected? He had never been with a woman before Fang... or had he? The walls of doubt closed in around him, and he couldn't shake the feeling that he was losing a grip on his own reality.

In Spike's mind, the visions of Maya unfolded like scenes from a forgotten dream. He saw them together in a cozy cottage, nestled in the embrace of a lush forest. Maya stood by the hearth, stirring a pot of stew as the aroma of savory herbs filled the air. They laughed together, sharing tender moments over dinner as they discussed their hopes and dreams for the future. Later, they sat by the fire, the warmth of their bodies drawing them closer as they whispered secrets and promises to each other in the flickering light. In these visions, Spike felt a deep sense of love and contentment, as if he had found his true home in Maya's arms. Yet, even as the memories faded, a lingering sense of confusion and longing remained, leaving Spike to grapple with the unsettling question of whether these visions were real or merely figments of his imagination.

"Maya was just another contract, nothing more," he tried to explain, though his voice was very uncertain. "I don't think I was ever given a reason as to why... so, why do I suddenly remember a life with her?"

Feeling almost ashamed, Spike couldn't bring himself to meet Fang's gaze. Instead, he held onto Fang's band, the contact grounding him amidst the swirling doubts in his mind. With a determined yet hesitant grip, he led the way toward the place where he had carried out the job.

Rhindeer

Fang could hear the lie as soon as he said he was okay, but thankfully he was quick to correct himself. No, he definitely wasn't okay—and she honestly couldn't remember a time she had seen him so frazzled. He was usually so calm under pressure, even life and death situations, yet here he was so visibly shaken.

Reaching out, Fang took his other hand in hers and faced him, peering up at him with a worried frown. Just a contract, and yet...he remembered a life with her? She could still hear the dead woman's screams ringing in her ears, but...no, something wasn't right. Certainly one couldn't just forget something like that? Unless...

"Spike," Fang said suddenly, peeking up and giving his hands a squeeze to get his attention. "Do you remember what happened with Oliver? That it wasn't right? That there were two Olivers, and one was false? Demonic?"

But even as she said it, her brow furrowed in deeper confusion.

What were the chances of that? And why?

And even then Spike had known. He'd yelled back at "Oliver" that it was a lie. So if it was the same trickery, why was there doubt in his eyes?

MorningStar

Spike's mind was a whirlwind of confusion and uncertainty as Fang's words echoed in his ears. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was terribly wrong, that his memories were being tampered with in ways he couldn't comprehend. As Fang reached out to him, her touch grounding him in the present moment, he felt a flicker of reassurance amidst the chaos.

"You're probably right," Spike admitted with a heavy sigh, his gaze drifting away momentarily before returning to meet Fang's concerned eyes. "I'm not sure what's going on but... Let's just go to Maya. Maybe it'll help figure things out."

As they made their way towards Maya's location, Spike couldn't shake the nagging feeling of unease that lingered in the back of his mind.

---

Lawrence stood in the shadows, his gaze fixed on Spike and Fang as they conversed. His lips curled into a sneer of disdain as he listened to Fang's words, her interference threatening to unravel the carefully constructed web of deception he had woven around Spike.

From his vantage point, Lawrence observed their interaction with a mixture of frustration and malice. He had spent countless hours manipulating Spike's memories, planting seeds of doubt and confusion to torment him. Each false memory, each distorted vision, had been carefully crafted to serve Lawrence's dark purposes. And now, here was Fang, daring to disrupt his carefully laid plans.

But Lawrence was not one to be thwarted so easily. As he watched Fang, a sinister glint gleamed in his eyes, a silent promise of retribution. She would pay for her interference, he vowed silently to himself.

For now, Lawrence remained hidden in the shadows, biding his time and plotting his next move. He would deal with Fang in due course, but for now, he would continue to watch and wait, his mind already calculating the most effective means of neutralizing this new threat.