Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Road to Selevea

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2023, 10:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Tags to @Avelithe !
-----------

She had perhaps, forgotten in some of her despair, that the years prior to her journey north, into a war torn country as uncouth as Connlaoth, she had, in fact, had a bounty on her head (preferably, alive) that was worth quite the pretty penny. She wasn't known as The Spider for nothing.

Connlaoth was the perfect location to hide from Kahna-mu, a man who had many ties well south on the continent on his criminal enterprise, so it shouldn't have surprised her that the bounty hunters this far north, might be aware of her presence. She was, after all, not from a race that blended in easily- Saranthians had very bold colors, painting both skin and hair alike with the same, vibrant turquoise; making their eyes, at times, to almost glow.

Too bad the long and dirty foot path coated the woman in grime from her travels, as she found herself most unfortunately bound at the wrists by a pair of shackles at the back end of a small cart hauled by a thick little donkey, and his matching owner, a stout and hairy man, with a receding hairline, thick, untamable black beard and dark eyes. Drey Fuhrhkaus wasn't exactly the type of bounty hunter you'd expect. He seems like every other simple man you meet on the road. But that was his thing, no one would pin old Drey Fuhrhkaus as a reputable bounty hunter...

Yet here she was, most definitely annoyed, as she was tripping behind the large cargo wagon and swearing up a storm. She had been caught somewhere at the base of the mountains, and the long journey had taken them out of the thickened woods and into the more thinny linned, mud infested trails that lead towards the capital and east- towards Selevea. There, Drey Fuhrhkaus assured her, she would be presented to Kahna-mu's men in one piece.

If her eyes could bore holes into the back of the man's head, it would have fallen off his neck a number of times during their travel. But as it were, Mae'leena Doh'vek processed no such abilities, and had to relish on his imaginary comeuppance until she could think of a way out of this mess. She watched as the man spit to one side, much like a camel. He was barbaric as any man could ever be, and even from behind the cart, she could smell the man was weeks over due for a bath.

Grinding her teeth, she continued to think more spiteful ways at come backs, when the cart hit a large root in the road, tipped some- and sent Mae'leena flying onto her face in the mud.
"Aww, for the love of-" she began, a string of colorful words following as she sat up, her body now coated in the loveliest color of mud. Yuck. She spat out whatever had gotten into her mouth, and twisted uncomfortably in her shackles to get a better look as to what was going on.

Through the upturned wagon wheel, she could see the opposing one was very much stuck in the mud- and bent at a very awkward angle. She ground her teeth, but laughed at her captor's plight, before taking a moment to rest as she leaned both shoulders against the wagon load. Inside the blanketed contents somewhere were her sais, daggers and the Katakuhlu.

Peering over the side, she kept one eye on Drey, the other on the back of the wagon, as she began to use her elbows to dig around a bit to see if she couldn't find any of her tools, or at least something useful, that she could quickly unbury and make her escape. She wasn't sure what might held her out, perhaps a sharp nail or knife to pick the damn locks around her wrist when, as luck would have it- she found something!

Before she could even figure out what it was, a loud exclamation from Drey startled her and the damn metal rod she had found slipped from her fingers and into the mud. Cursing, she dropped to her knees and began to look for it, all the while keeping an eye on her captor from beneath the wagon. It was then she noticed a man and horse were approaching and she swore.

Great, that's all she needed was another man to throw a wrench into her escape plan. Knowing her luck, it was one of Drey Fuhrhkaus's allies. She watched as the man fervently tried to wave the horseman down, while Mae'leena dropped lower on her knees, wondering just how the hell did she lose a damn metal object in the mud. Shouldn't it be obvious? It was glinty and metally... Except, as her hands went into inches of gunky mud, she began to realize just why this happened and equally reminded just how the wagon got stuck. She had to wonder if this was Drey's first damn time traveling on a muddy road. Who wouldn't see the damn large root his cargo got toppled by? It was bigger than a man's-

It was then Mae'leena caught sight of the man approaching. Not normally taken off guard by men with good looks, this time she did, but fate wouldn't allow her for to look for long- for her precariously, knelt position had her losing her footing, as she thudded loudly behind the wagon into the puddle of mud.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Avelithe

Not many men were in the habit of bothering Jaxamir Harlo. It suited him best. He did not like to be bothered unless it was a challenger come to test their might against his own, or a pretty lady willing to hike up their dress for him. He was a simple fellow who enjoyed simple pleasures. Frankly, he'd enjoy either of these things right this very moment, with a juicy steak in one hand and the best amber beer this side of the Riverlands in the other.

With a greatsword at his back and an enormous strapping red courser beneath him, he needed neither of these to give the impression that he was a man who was used to getting his way. Whatever business he had was not immediately apparent, but there was no doubt that he certainly had bad business about him. Best not to get mixed in with the wicked and depraved, even if such a man carried the eagle and sword emblem of the Mercenary Guild upon his breast. Oh, yes. He had the claws of the Kingdom wrapped tightly around him, for the emblem also contained its royal seal.

Jaxamir noticed the broken cart and a fellow attempting to wave him down. He slowed his courser to a stop, gave his old stallion a fond pat, and whistled.

"In a bit of a spot, I see."

The voice was low and gruff, tilting his head around to observe the creature that fell into the mud. Jaxamir's blue eyes sparkled with mirth. The entire ordeal was amusing to see.

"Should have taken the longer route. The road is friendlier to old rickety carts and captives shackled to the back of them."

visualspice

"You don't even know the half of it!" Drey began. "My donkey is piss on these muddy roads. But you, you look like a strong man!" He laughed, an almost donkey like noise itself. "I reckon you've got strength. surely enough to help a poor fellow out!"
But when attentions turned to his captive, Drey's smile grew a bit more nervous as he moved to stand between the man and his mud bogged captive.

"Now, now, let us not get on a wrong impression,  yeah? See this female? Beautiful and disgusting,  yeah? But dangerous as a serpent. But I assure you, those shackles are strong and you and I," he gestured.  "Are very much safe from this girl."

Mae'leena rolled her eyes as her stubby little captor went on, gaging the new comer warily. He looked like a handsome rescuer, but she didn't want to press her luck and get into an even worse position. Then again, she was tired of being tied up, as it were.

Mae'leena attempted to stand,  but Drey wasn't having it, and what sounded like swears in Essryni, he yanked her chain and forced the woman back down. She grimaced and was really beginning to hate the mud.

"Ha! You see? She rolls in the mud like pig!" He shook his head and returned his attention back to the man. "So you able to help?"

From where Mae'leena lay in the mud, 'bought half her face was muddied up,  which only emphasized her flash of white teeth as she grinned at him.

"Careful love, seems these dangerous pigs are everywhere, " She flirticiously countered, batting long lashes over at Jax.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Avelithe

Jaxamir gave the man an easygoing smile as he slid off his horse. "Indeed?" he preened, flexing out of habit whenever someone compliemnted his strength, his leathers straining. "Let's take a look."

Adjusting his gloves, he peered down at the broken wheel, then gave his beard a light scratch. He hadn't expected to be fixing anything today. If he was going to do any heavy lifting, he decided that he did not feel like leaving empty handed. The cart had to contain some valuables.

Hastily punching down those intrusive thoughts, Jax forced the dragon within to quell its nature and to bury its shameful face into the deep dark recesses of his heart. What about the girl? He sideglanced the creature bathed in mud, and how this fellow treated her so. He had not really thought this through. It was not really his way to be nice. However... he had some ideas, but he was careful to keep his dragon's cunning from revealing itself on his face.

"I expect to be compensated, old man." He pointed at his seal, indicating that he would not be doing any favors for free. Such is the way with mercenaries. "With whatever you can spare. If you agree to those terms, then I will help."

The girl spoke to him. The female persuasion never failed to tickle his attention, so like a magnet, he let his gaze fall on her. He gave her a long, scrutinizing look, that ended in a scoff.

"My lady, there was never a pig, dangerous or otherwise, that never found its way on my plate... or my bedchamber."

visualspice

Drey guffawed.
"You think me too humble a man? Naturally, I would pay you for your services. " Although he was all smiles, he was a bit irked by the man's request.

"You uh.. you take payment in gold. Yes?" He asked, fetching up his coin purse and hoping to distract his now hired helper from paying any more attention to the woman.

And Mae'leena had some fun retorts on her lips. Too bad the stubby man interjected.

Avelithe

Jaxamir's demeanor softened, his smile widening. "Excellent, friend." There was the slightest of bodily twitches when gold was mentioned. "Gold is preferred," he replied firmly. "Well, best get to work."

The mercenary left the cart driver to look for payment as he walked to his horse. After a moment of digging into his saddlebag, he produced a set of tools wrapped in leather. He made it seem like he was not watching the girl, but he was, sneaking furtive glances over to her. He was sure the cart driver misliked this stranger catching glimpses of his pretty little prize. To be honest, he could not help it. Seeing her in the state she was in only strengthened his appetite after nursing untoward thoughts from before. He had zero shame.

But he also couldn't just leave a maiden chained to a cart, even if this one spit fire. Naturally, he had a plan, but it required patience. If the girl was watching him, he'd place a finger to his lips without looking at her, and gave the slightest little nod. If the cart driver turned to look at him, Jaxamir would make it seem like he was off-handedly scratching his beard in thought.

Jaxamir traipsed back to the cart, his eyes now on the driver, never allowing his back to him. He knelt, laying his tools out before him on a spot that wasn't covered in mud.

"You are lucky the wheel did not splinter," he told the fellow conversationally. He plucked a thin piece of metal from his tools, dropped it into the muddy ground, and paused. Suddenly, he raised a din.

"By the gods! Over there, across the road, do you see that?" He forced himself to his feet, a hand on the pommel of his sword to add to the effect of his alarm. "There, quick! What is that!"

If he had the cart driver distracted, he'd take the opportunity to kick the thin tool towards the girl.

visualspice

Drey Fuhrhkaus counted his money discreetly in his sack, scratching at his neck as he belched. Then once he assured himself he could afford the gold for payment, he gave the new hired hand a wooden smile.

Drey must not have caught the subtle exchange between the man and Mae'leena, because he was sauntering around beside the man as if he owned the place. He wore that ego too sizes too big. Mae'leena couldn't help an eye roll. But when Jax suddenly pointed out into the forest, calling for trouble, instincts had her doing the same as Drey, turning to see what all the commotion was abou-

And then the glint of metal caught her eye and she peered down at her feet, realizing , with a sudden, blooming smile, that Jax just earned a few points of trust. She knew she liked this good looking fella.

She kept her eyes on Drey as she fetched the up the tool, hands quick to test it at the lock- but then Drey had returned, moving way to close towards his captors side, a hand on the hilt of a shirt sword on his belt.

"Where? What fiend you see? I see nothing. " But his head was bobbing around like an ostrich, looking every which way except directly at Mae'leena, who took the moment to slip the tool away and out of sight.

She chanced a glance to the stranger, wondering if he had some plan up his sleeve. But Drey was stepping even closer to where Mae'leena was chained. After all, she was his next big pay out. He wasn't about to let the little snake go!

Avelithe

Jaxamir did not answer immediately, but gripped his sword as he looked to be studying beyond with a serious expression. "You're too short, old man." It was meant to be an affable jab. "You can never know in a place like this." He unfurled his hand over his sword. "But worry not, I believe it was a bear crossing beneath trees. It's not coming this way—yet—thankfully. Give me a hand with this, will you?"

The mercenary intended to keep the cart driver busy while he gave the girl time to pick the lock, but if his estimation was correct, she had mere minutes. The tool he gave her was specifically made for such a task.

"Hold this wheel in place for me while I fix the hub and boxing; I cannot do both. The wheel could slip off. I will lift the cart, and you will set it in place and hold it. And keep a wary eye on our backs just to be sure no scary bears get curious." He smirked as he said this; to be frank, he looked like the sort of man who used to wrestle bears as part of his training regimen.

visualspice

Mae'leena curiously followed Drey's glances, just in case, before returning to her own task at hand. She gave a little smile as she observed the pair working over the broken wheel. It seemed both cart driver and cargo were lucky this handsome rescuer was around.

And so she went back to work picking at the lock on her wrists,  one eye mostly on her task while she still kept tabs of the other 'threats'. She made a soft noise of elation when she felt the pressure ease as a soft click confirmed her success. 

Her eyes darted back to see what Drey and this new fellow were up to now, as she smirked to observe how easily she was forgotten for a 'bear'. She took the moment to slip one cuff and pocketed the really nice lock picking tool down the front of her shirt. Cleavage made for nice shelves and pockets. Then she slipped her hands back into the cuffs and continued to play the captive,  eyeing the men as they worked and even taking the time to vocally correct Drey when he incorrectly followed instructions.

She gave him a catty smile in reply as he swore her off. Then she began to look around to calculate a plan to escape.  Did she risk one now? No, it seemed too premature.  She could wait for them to move further down the woods, then slip into denser wood- assuming down the trail there'd be any. That way she could be much more discrete, like the spider she was named for. 

Besides, she still had to get her things. 

Avelithe

Lucky indeed, but the mercenary had ulterior motives. In the meantime, he played nice, knowing he was about to get paid for this.

Jax lifted the cart and waited until the wheel was placed in properly. Then, he applied the loosened hub and boxing. "These look worn. I will tighten them to secure the rest of your journey, but it is time to replace them."

It took a few minutes for Jax to secure the wheel. When he had finished, he dusted off his gloved hands and rose up. "That should do it. Have your donkey walk forward."

All the while, he dare not steal a look at the girl, not wanting to risk raising suspicion that he was, in any way, the catalyst to her freedom.

visualspice

"Yes, yes. Next town I stop, I look into new wheel," Drey repeated and went on to guide the donkey. "Come on you beast, move your stinkin' animal legs!" He clucked his tongue and with a groan of the wheels, and whine of the donkey, the wagon lurched forward. 

Mae'leena stumbled a few paces behind, stealing a glance towards Jaxamir as Drey laughed at his cart's victory.

"Well, well, seems we got my wagon free. Thank you, my friend, " he went on, patting Jax's shoulder. 

Avelithe

Jax looked on to what should have been a job well done, but he was not worried. The job was done, and he made sure it was done right.

"You counted up those coins, friend?" The mercenary gave the old man an outstretched hand, making sure he kept the other's back facing the girl—just in case. He was not sure what her plan was, but he hoped she did it fast before all this went to hell.

Not that he had much to lose or gain out of her escape. He was happy to trade a lock pick and a few minutes of his time for cold, hard cash, and if there was ANY chance of taking the damsel in distress to some local tavern and inn as a reward for rescuing her, that would be the cherry on top to his day.

Oh, yes. Jax thought everything was going his way. The inner dragon was practically purring!

visualspice

"Yes, yes, I am good on my word as I'm good on my coin!" Drey replied with a crow of a laugh. "Shall I count the earnings out in your palms?" He jested. "Fear not, Drey Fuhrhkaus is, if anything, a man of honest means. But I shall do this favor for you so that you can understand those that trust!"

Drey began to produce each coin with a flourish, not realizing that, as he was distracted, his captive was discretly looking for her things.  Shr pocketed a few trinkets that hadnt initially been in her pocket as she moved slowly through the back od the covered cart  It wasn't hard to find the Katakuhlu, the ruby was about as tall as her head. He had it locked in a small trunk... which was unfortunately nearest to Drey and furthest from her.

The lock wasn't the issue, just reaching the small trunk without Drey noticing. However, as she continued her search, she uncovered a rather large vase which was quite heavy-

Which became an excellent tool to smash into Drey Fuhrhkaus's head. The man went down in a scream and Mae'leena swore. Was the man's head so thick the heavy vase didn't knock him clean out!? She didn't waste any time, as Drey had fallen into a shouting heap at Jaximir's feet, coins spilling all over the muddied ground, Mae'leena scooped up the chest, and looped up her belt of equipment and gave a heavy booted kick to free the donkey of its yoke and harness.

She then moved to leap onto the donkey's back, chest in hand and her belt armorments hooked over her shoulder.

Drey Fuhrkaus was still seeing stars, gripping at his head as he wallowed in pain. But then he managed to spot Mae'leena and gave a shriek, pointing, "Ahma! The Spider escapes! Catch her, my friend, catch her! Before she gets away!"

Avelithe

"Yes." Oh, Jax was serious. He held out his hand to Drey, and waited for the coins to drop in his hand. Beads of sweat formed above his brow. The nature of the dragon was desperately hungry, and it took an enormous bit of effort to restrain himself from demanding more. He did not want to press his luck while there were other... ahem... factors at stake.

It all went to absolute shit the moment the vase smashed into the back of the cart driver's head. Jax stared ahead, scowling at the spot where Drey once stood, and grumbled, stooping to pick the fellow up off the ground, roughly dusting him off.

The tease for a reward upon the Spider's capture was a rather tempting treat. But so was the thrill of the chase. As annoyed as he was that the girl did not flee discretely the first chance she got, he had to admit that whatever the outcome, it might not be so bad. Either way, he was confident that he will win.

Without giving the cart driver an answer, Jaxamir gave a sharp whistle. His red warhorse, Brimstone, cantered up when called, and after his master hoisted himself up easily over the saddle, the magnificent horse tore off at a hard gallop.

Jax was certain that he would easily overtake the girl. Donkeys are slower  beasts than horses and stood no chance for the long haul. He was far out of earshot at this point as he matched his pace next to his prey.

"Hello."

The cocky bastard grinned.

visualspice

The donkey labored forward, a clumsy run at best. But with the wild wind whipping at her hair, and Drey's form disappearing behind her she couldn't help but grin.

If Jax enjoyed himself a good chase, Mae'leena could admit she enjoyed a good run. She was the fox, outwitting the hunter, and though it was lame in the methods she had been caught- she was free once again. She had no means to think other wise, but when Jaxamir thundered beside her on his horse, she raised both brows at him.

"Comin' along for the ride?" she called, over the pounding of hooves.