Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Read is to Live a Thousand Lives

Started by DragonSong, January 02, 2016, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Lyssa paused, tilting her head. "Are you saying you plan to disintegrate a city in the near future?" she asked playfully.

But she knew the other woman was right. It had seemed harmless enough, just showing her around, but perhaps she should be more careful. She shrugged sheepishly, ducking her head. "Yes, I know. I suppose I got carried away."

Medievarad

"Not me, no." Ameterasu chuckled softly. Before turning around. Letting a small fire spark infront of Lyssa. Forming it into a small, blazing butterfly. "I am more refined." She said as the critter flew over to her and dissipated slowly as it went. As if being blown out by a stray wind. "Just do mind it next time, Lyssa. Not all people's intentions are good."

DragonSong

Her eyes went wide and she clapped her hands together once delightedly. "Oh, that's amazing," she exclaimed- quietly, they were still in the library- and beamed.

She nodded at Ameterasu's words though, sobering slightly. "I know, I will be careful." Offering a shy smile, she asked, "Could you...show me something else like that? I've always been fascinated with magic."

Medievarad

"Thank you." She said with a soft smile as she turned to  Lyssa again. "And that is alright. As a fellow bookkeeper, I can understand the excitement."

Ameterasu chuckled as Lyssa asked for another exemple, it wasn't really that difficult. Ever since Silmeria taught her some extra things, her control over flames had improved drastically. "Don't be afraid." She said, holding out her finger. Another blazing butterfly appearing ontop of it, before flitting over to Lyssa and landing on her nose. The fire not being hot or burning at all.

DragonSong

Lyssa held her breath, expecting the fire to burn despite Ameterasu's assurance. When it didn't, her eyes went very round behind her glasses and she hitched in a small breath.

"Amazing," she repeated, so softly it was almost inaudible, not wanting to dissolve the small miracle in front of her.

Medievarad

"It's a small feat.." Ameterasu chuckled slowly. "But I am glad it doesn't cease to amaze you."

DragonSong

Lyssa shook her head, still smiling wonderingly. "I can do a bit of magic, but nothing like this." Shaking herself to refocus, she gave the other woman a sheepish look. "I'm sorry, I got distracted. What would you like to see?"

Medievarad

"Hm? You can? I'd be interested in seeing so." Ameterasu said with a soft smile. "And, whatever you wish to show me, Lyssa."

DragonSong

"Really? Um, okay." She tilted her head, thinking for a moment, then said, "I can show you to one of the back study rooms. Not one of my favorite places, but there are some interesting tomes the students use a lot."

And there was plenty of ink and parchment, which would allow her to show her own brand of magic.

Medievarad

"If you'd like that, that would be fine." Was what she said with a gentle smile.

DragonSong

"Alright, this way then." She led them further around the balcony to a set of three doors set into a wall. She opened one a crack to make sure they wouldn't be disturbing anyone before waving Ameterasu in.

The room was mostly occupied by a long table piled high with books and stacks of parchment. The some dozen books that were meant not to leave the room were shelved along the far way.

Medievarad

Ameterasu walked into the room, slowly nodding. Investigating her surroundings with some form of attuned clairvoyance. "Peaceful." She said with a soft smile.

DragonSong

Lyssa nodded. "I've always thought so." Moving to the table, she slid a piece of parchment toward herself and pulled a quill and bottle of ink out of the small pouch on her hip. Thinking for a moment, she slowly wrote out "candle, fire".

A small candle flickered into being and a tiny flame appeared at her fingertip. She reached out and lit the candle, looking to her guest and saying, "It's not much, but that's what I can do."

Medievarad

"Creation magic. Very rare." Ameterasu said as she walked over to the table, examing the candle closely. "And through means of script. That is.. Unique and amazing." She looked at Lyssa again, smiling. "Where did you learn to do this?"

DragonSong

Lyssa blushed, looking down. "I- I didn't, exactly. I mean, when I started learning to read and write it just sort of...happened." She shrugged. "I didn't know it was called that. Creation magic. Though I suppose it makes sense."

Medievarad

"I see." Ameterasu tapped her lip as she thinked about it. "Has anyone in your direct family shown any magical aptitude? It is often a gift that is inherited." She said with a soft smile. "And do not be taken aback, Lyssa. I am a teacher. You have to be as a grandmaster."

DragonSong

"My parents are mages," she replied. "But they can't do what I do. And I can't do what they do, or what you do." She shrugged. "I sort of had to figure it out on my own. A few mishaps along the way," she admitted with a light laugh, "but overall nothing too terrible."

Medievarad

"Ah. Ofcourse." She nodded with a smile. "The affinities aren't nescessarily in tune, but, the magic essence is present." She let out a soft chuckle. "If you wish, I can teach you some basic things like clairvoyance, or warding."

DragonSong

"Really?" Her eyes went round behind her glasses. "Oh- yes, please! But can you really teach me that stuff? Gods know my mother tried for years, but I just can't seem to pick up "normal" magic."

Medievarad

Ameterasu nodded. "I can. I've taught people who didn't even know they were magicians when they stumbled in."